Amir Ibragimov

Prodigal7

Is he bypassing the U18s entirely? Feel like I've seen him on the U21 bench more than I've seen him involved in the U18 squad.
It’s hard to say what the development plan represents for these players. Is Baumann for example so highly rated because he’s missing u18s football as well in comparison to the likes of Fletcher etc? I wouldn’t have thought so but there must be a reason for what they do with each individual player (we hear so many times from the coaches that development plans are tailored to individuals in the academy). It’s not obvious why certain players have missed u18 football whilst others haven’t. Injuries might have something to do with it but there have been some surprising choices for the u21s players nevertheless.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
It’s hard to say what the development plan represents for these players. Is Baumann for example so highly rated because he’s missing u18s football as well in comparison to the likes of Fletcher etc? I wouldn’t have thought so but there must be a reason for what they do with each individual player (we hear so many times from the coaches that development plans are tailored to individuals in the academy). It’s not obvious why certain players have missed u18 football whilst others haven’t. Injuries might have something to do with it but there have been some surprising choices for the u21s players nevertheless.

Baumann has featured in 15 games for the U/18's this season...it's only been in the last month he has been elevated into the U/21's.

Ibragimov has had knocks this season and featured mostly in the U/16's...he has played in two U/18 games and two U/21 games.

Jack Fletcher has played in 12 games for the U/18's (he has had a couple of knocks too)

Tyler Fletcher has featured in 5 games for the U/18's...(also had knocks).

As you mentioned, it has a lot to do with form, availability, development and so on. It's very rare for a player to miss most of the U/18 season and make the jump into the reserves/21's outside of obvious injury.

Rashford, Gomes, Greenwood, Shoretire all had 1-2 seasons in the U/18's.

Rasmus_9

Is he bypassing the U18s entirely? Feel like I've seen him on the U21 bench more than I've seen him involved in the U18 squad.
I think the main reason is the fact we have very little attacking talent left around the U21’s. The likes of Forson play the add game McNeill still plods along and Ennis has come back from serious injury but beyond that there’s very little creativity.

The U18’s have been doing so well this season without Ibragimov maybe they don’t want to disrupt a settled team?

Ibragimov does seem to be very strong for a lad just turned 16 (reminds me of a young Rooney) so they obviously feel he can cope with that side of the game too.

One thing is for sure though, he is massively rated inside Old Trafford and I predict he will have first team minutes well before his 18th birthday!

lysglimt

Scout
As you mentioned, it has a lot to do with form, availability, development and so on. It's very rare for a player to miss most of the U/18 season and make the jump into the reserves/21's outside of obvious injury.
As I recall Lingard and M.Keane did it - because of their size (or lack of) when they were at U18 level

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I really hope a player like him develops to such a extent that he becomes a first team player for us. He is definitely of the correct profile to play in a attacking midfield position high up the pitch and could save us a lot of money. Here's hoping he keeps progressing as a player and can steer clear of injuries which seem to have affected him of late.

Mr. MUJAC

As I recall Lingard and M.Keane did it - because of their size (or lack of) when they were at U18 level
Both of those players were mainstays of the U/18's in 2010/11.

Michael Keane featured in 30 of the 36 matches that season whilst Lingard was involved in 32 of the 36.

I'm sure you are right that some players may have jumped a year...but I can't really recall it (apart from injury) and as I said it's therefore very rare.

Even the likes of Giggs and Whiteside played 1-2 seasons in the juniors.

lysglimt

Scout
Both of those players were mainstays of the U/18's in 2010/11.

Michael Keane featured in 30 of the 36 matches that season whilst Lingard was involved in 32 of the 36.

I'm sure you are right that some players may have jumped a year...but I can't really recall it (apart from injury) and as I said it's therefore very rare.

Even the likes of Giggs and Whiteside played 1-2 seasons in the juniors.
I just recall an interview with OGS where he said those two players hadn't got many chances because of their size, but added they were both going to be cracking players. Did they join the U18s later than for instance Will Keane ?

Mr. MUJAC

I just recall an interview with OGS where he said those two players hadn't got many chances because of their size, but added they were both going to be cracking players. Did they join the U18s later than for instance Will Keane ?
In 2009/10 there were 29 matches in the U/18 season.

Will Keane started in 23 and was a sub in another 5

Jesse Lingard started in 9 games and was named on the bench a further 16 times coming on regularly. So pretty much a part of that squad although he played much more the year after as per my previous post.

Michael Keane didn't start any U/18 games in 2009/10 but was named as a non-playing substitute on four occasions. So yes, Michael was a year behind his twin brother at this point. It has to be pointed out that the defensive strength was pretty good during that season with Brown, Massacci, Fornasier, Fryers, Wootton, McGinty and Tom Thorpe all available and more physically developed. Michael had to wait until 2010/11 before he was elevated as a regular.

I'm guessing Solskjaer made those comments at some point in 2011, 2012 when he was in charge of the reserves rather than talking about the youth team which Paul McGuinness would have been looking after.

Reactions: lysglimt

Bertie Wooster

Apparently so.
That's a real shame.

A blow in the short term - with the PL Youth Cup Final and then North / South League winners play off coming up.

Long term, hopefully it isn't too serious and doesn't effect him in terms of pre-season and the start of next season.