Amir Ibragimov

Pericles

So he would immediately be our best attacking player! Nice!
Whoa! I never said that. :lol:
But he could easily be our best player in 3-4 years, depending on the condition of the club at that time.

If he develops to his max potential he will be a Top No 10 with typical Azar discipline and work rate. Can shoot, can pass, can dribble past people with pace. Rooney-Lite

Woziak

Honestly, I’ve been watching youth football for a long, long time and I still find it difficult to tell who’s got a chance of making it at U18/U21 level. Greenwood’s pretty much the only sure thing I’ve seen in the last 10 years or so.
Shea Lacey is another sure thing ?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s not a sure thing, his ceiling is incredibly high though. What made Greenwood a sure thing was how well rounded he was for his age plus some attributes that were outstanding even at first team level, like his finishing. Lacey has some remarkable raw attributes that if developed correctly could make him a tremendous player, he also has more weaknesses to his game that require work. Still an extremely exciting talent and one of my favourite academy players to watch.

Von Mistelroum

Whoa! I never said that. :lol:
But he could easily be our best player in 3-4 years, depending on the condition of the club at that time.

If he develops to his max potential he will be a Top No 10 with typical Azar discipline and work rate. Can shoot, can pass, can dribble past people with pace. Rooney-Lite
Now now, you said he was a weaker, smaller, less talented Wayne Rooney. That automatically makes him better than our current squad. I might have been joking slightly :lol:

Woziak

He’s not a sure thing, his ceiling is incredibly high though. What made Greenwood a sure thing was how well rounded he was for his age plus some attributes that were outstanding even at first team level, like his finishing. Lacey has some remarkable raw attributes that if developed correctly could make him a tremendous player, he also has more weaknesses to his game that require work. Still an extremely exciting talent and one of my favourite academy players to watch.
You know people think Lacey’s weakness could be his physical frame, what they need to do is go watch him box as well the boys a natural sportsman, there are some boxing clips of him on YouTube and this proves that’s he’s a tough cookie with coordination and balance both being exceptional , of course he could have an unwanted injury but right now even the England FA are banking on him being the next big thing. Look with kids like Kai Rooney, Amir Ibragimov at 13 and 15 you’re just not sure but Lacey is another one of those Aries star sign players born in April like Mainoo who looks like he’s another superstar and doesn’t turn 17 until this April.

Prodigal7

You know people think Lacey’s weakness could be his physical frame, what they need to do is go watch him box as well the boys a natural sportsman, there are some boxing clips of him on YouTube and this proves that’s he’s a tough cookie with coordination and balance both being exceptional , of course he could have an unwanted injury but right now even the England FA are banking on him being the next big thing. Look with kids like Kai Rooney, Amir Ibragimov at 13 and 15 you’re just not sure but Lacey is another one of those Aries star sign players born in April like Mainoo who looks like he’s another superstar and doesn’t turn 17 until this April.
You had me convinced until you started talking about their star signs.

AltiUn

My personal reservations are around him drifting in and out of games, bit like Angel Gomes. Supremely talented but games did seem to pass him by, when he did get involved he was excellent. In the modern game proactiveness is rewarded, be it from demanding the ball deep or from counter pressing.

Woziak

My personal reservations are around him drifting in and out of games, bit like Angel Gomes. Supremely talented but games did seem to pass him by, when he did get involved he was excellent. In the modern game proactiveness is rewarded, be it from demanding the ball deep or from counter pressing.
I understand that but he’s young and physically much stronger than people think

sparx99

It still pains me that James Wilson didn’t make it. I’ve read a bunch of people saying he wasn’t never going to and I don’t know where they get that idea. He was so special and should have a been a long term option for us as a kind of young Michael Owen type.

Instead he got horribly mismanaged and fell between the cracks of manager turnover before his bad injuries hit.

AltiUn

It still pains me that James Wilson didn’t make it. I’ve read a bunch of people saying he wasn’t never going to and I don’t know where they get that idea. He was so special and should have a been a long term option for us as a kind of young Michael Owen type.

Instead he got horribly mismanaged and fell between the cracks of manager turnover before his bad injuries hit.
Supposedly had attitude issues as well which didn't help things.

In Rainbows

Honestly, I’ve been watching youth football for a long, long time and I still find it difficult to tell who’s got a chance of making it at U18/U21 level. Greenwood’s pretty much the only sure thing I’ve seen in the last 10 years or so.
It's better to just say that the elite talents in our system have a chance. If not elite, I likely don't believe they have much of a chance.
I never thought Gomes drifted in and out of games. His production for an attacker was great, it's just that he often had to step next to the CBs in order for the team to bring the ball out from the back.

I thought he did drift out of games during his initial step ups to the u18 (as a 15 year old), and to the u23s (as a 16 year old). But that's completely normal considering his age respective to the level. As a 16 year old, and as a 17 year old (after injury-u17World Cup), he did really well in the u18 and u23s.

So any problem was more so his teammates lack of quality by being unable to resist a press, or pass through lines. Something he was able to do.

Another key component was Sbragia being in charge of the u23s from 2017-2019.

AltiUn

It's better to just say that the elite talents in our system have a chance. If not elite, I likely don't believe they have much of a chance.

I never thought Gomes drifted in and out of games. His production for an attacker was great, it's just that he often had to step next to the CBs in order for the team to bring the ball out from the back.

I thought he did drift out of games during his initial step ups to the u18 (as a 15 year old), and to the u23s (as a 16 year old). But that's completely normal considering his age respective to the level. As a 16 year old, and as a 17 year old (after injury-u17World Cup), he did really well in the u18 and u23s.

So any problem was more so his teammates lack of quality by being unable to resist a press, or pass through lines. Something he was able to do.

Another key component was Sbragia being in charge of the u23s from 2017-2019.
As for your first point, yeah pretty much, good way of putting it actually.

Just my personal thoughts, I felt sometimes games tended to pass him by, I always felt this more evident when Greenwood game in and started to dominate games by dropping deep to demand the ball. It wasn't like Gomes was actively hiding but felt to me like he waited for the game to happen to him, again, just my own personal feelings.

Yeah Sbragia was an appalling manager, staggered he was allowed more than one season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Different paths really. McTominay has been one of our most successful graduates in recent times and he was far from an elite talent. Further back, a few others have also snuck through. Luck/timing probably the biggest factors. So many times we see highly touted youngsters pushing for a chance only to find themselves injured (or in Hannibal’s case, away on international duty) when there’s an opening in their position at first team level

WouterWeghorst

Supports
Bald Managers
Why isn't he involved in the -18's? Haven't seem him play there at all, albeit i have missed quite some -18 games. Does he play for -21's?

saik

Why isn't he involved in the -18's? Haven't seem him play there at all, albeit i have missed quite some -18 games. Does he play for -21's?
Probably planned for him to play in the u21s match yesterday which was called off. A fair few u18s regulars not in the squad as well.

WouterWeghorst

Supports
Bald Managers
Probably planned for him to play in the u21s match yesterday which was called off. A fair few u18s regulars not in the squad as well.
Does he play there frequently? Such a shame the -18's are losing their perfect record while all their best players have the weekend off due to the called off game.

saik

Does he play there frequently? Such a shame the -18's are losing their perfect record while all their best players have the weekend off due to the called off game.
As far as I remember, he doesn't. He only came back recently from an injury and last week he made his u21s debut I believe.

Bojan Djordjic

Definitely wouldn't class Lacey a sure thing even if he's arguably our most exciting prospect. Just far too small and lacking in top pace at underage level to be considered an absolute certainty regardless of skill level. Got burnt with Angel Gomes (who in fairness will have a nice career) and will never underestimate the role of physicality to make it at senior level at United.

Bojan Djordjic

Different paths really. McTominay has been one of our most successful graduates in recent times and he was far from an elite talent. Further back, a few others have also snuck through. Luck/timing probably the biggest factors. So many times we see highly touted youngsters pushing for a chance only to find themselves injured (or in Hannibal’s case, away on international duty) when there’s an opening in their position at first team level
McTominay, as much as he is a scapegoat, has elite gifts. Physically elite, fit as a racehorse, strong dueller and think its fair to say at this point he's an excellent box crasher. Won't really help you control the game at all but can win you a game with is nose for goal and help out defending in the box with his height and strength.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
McTominay, as much as he is a scapegoat, has elite gifts. Physically elite, fit as a racehorse, strong dueller and think its fair to say at this point he's an excellent box crasher. Won't really help you control the game at all but can win you a game with is nose for goal and help out defending in the box with his height and strength.
He had nothing elite about him in the academy at all.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He had nothing elite about him in the academy at all.
McT has made at Man Utd despite the coaches having him from 20 to 26 failing to use him where he would get most out of his potential. Quite impressive.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
McT has made at Man Utd despite the coaches having him from 20 to 26 failing to use him where he would get most out of his potential. Quite impressive.
He also made it at United despite not being a standout performer in the academy. Fair play to him, but ultimately, my point is that there is still some hope for the not so brilliant kids who get their heads down and work hard.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He also made it at United despite not being a standout performer in the academy. Fair play to him, but ultimately, my point is that there is still some hope for the not so brilliant kids who get their heads down and work hard.
That is a good point. There was a lot of players like that under Ferguson. I also think there is quite a few under Klopp and been a couple under Pep (Busquet and Pedri).

Gungerz

Called up to the England U16 squad.
Think he might be injured because he doesn't appear to be in the squad. Will know for certain tomorrow when England play their first match but I haven't seen him pictured in training.

Bertie Wooster

Think he might be injured because he doesn't appear to be in the squad. Will know for certain tomorrow when England play their first match but I haven't seen him pictured in training.
He's also not been featuring in the more youthful U18 squads over the last few games, which I'd have thought he would have had he been fit.

Whether that does mean he's injured, or has just been featuring for the U16's again, I don't know?

Bigsid

Not there. Hurt in recent game. Be back training in next week or so.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Doing all this whilst fasting as well.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
He has bulked up quite a bit. Hopefully, he gets a little taller too.
Noticed that too, especially regarding lower body strength. Having a decent MMA fighter in the family probably helps.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Noticed a tweet yesterday which said all three Ibragimov brothers scored for United last week. What an incredible achievement.

Greeks

Noticed a tweet yesterday which said all three Ibragimov brothers scored for United last week. What an incredible achievement.
Imagine that all of them play for the first team one day in a game.