An insight into LVG's philosophy from LVG himself.

MarkC

I have an 8 page article which I feel is ideal for a day like today when there is a lot of people perhaps questioning LVG based on aimless long ball tactics etc. Van Gaal covers that here incidentally. I have posted a link to it and would recommend anybody with twenty minutes sit down and read it. I have a book on Van Gaal an his philosophy but without reading it this is the closest you will come to getting into how this guy thinks. Some of it is fascinating. Van Gaal gives tactical insights and his thinking on the following areas and aspects of his team.

Dominant football, Titles, Trust, Mental, Formation, Defence, Opponent, Against two strikers, LONG BALL, Attacking, Creative players, Opponent falls back, Assist, Positional changes, Excercises and Winning.

I was going to make some comments on certain parts and highlight the interesting and relevant parts but I have made my support for Van Gaal clear elsewhere. There is lots answers here for anybody looking for them and also some explanations from Van Gaal of what the passing is trying to achieve. Basically explains parts of the philosophy as well.

There is lots of interesting quotes but will let others select what they find relevant.

There are also 14 tactical diagrams to go with it to explain some of Van Gaal's thinking.This was done in 2008 his AZ days and is referencing his 4-3-3 but if you read the complete article you can understand the formation we play does not matter the team still plays with the same philosophy largely.

http://www.ncsoccer.org/docs/education/coaches/u19_objective_creates_exercise.pdf

For anybody that can't be arsed clicking i've copied most of it especially from each section I found relevant or good for getting an insight into the philosophy. The diagrams on the link make things easier to understand.

DOMINANT FOOTBALL

“Dominant soccer, in my opinion, means that you are the team that decides the flow of the game”, van Gaal starts to explain. “Meaning creating more chances than the opponent, playing offensively and doing this based on technical and tactical capacity, whereby the will to win plays an essential role. You therefore assume an offensive rather than defensive organization. The core of this is that you decide what happens on the field; of course this is open for discussion, because when you play from a defensive organization you can also dictate to a degree, as you determine that the opponent attacks in a small space. This, however, is not dominant play, because you do not determine the situation in an offensive manner.”

“PSV always plays very compact and well organized. This is dominance in another way. I see dominant play as playing offensively and pressing on the opponent’s half. This is my perception, as I believe you should always entertain the fans and the fans are, in my opinion, entertained when you play offensive soccer. Whenever you fall back more you will be playing with less initiative and with dominance only in phases. I think the fans will be more entertained by constant offensive play.”

TRUST

“When you choose to fall back you do not only need different types of players, but also a completely different way of thinking. You must therefore also start educating your players and scouting differently. In Holland we educate players in an offensive concept. Whenever these players are forced to play in a defensive concept they have to make a big transition. This becomes obvious whenever you get a chance to pressure an opponent like Ajax; they are not educated on this and will get into a lot of problems trying to deal with such a situation.”

FORMATION

“When you opt to play with a 1-4-3-3 you will, in my perception, have optimal field positioning. You can then decide whether to play with the point (in midfield) forwards or backwards. A lot of teams nowadays opt to play with the point backwards, but I prefer to play with the point forwards. When you want to move one player up from the back there will be more room to do this when you are playing with the point forward (diagrams 1 and 2). You automatically create more space to move up from the back. When you play with the point backwards you will have to create this space by moving out of the way. Furthermore, I believe that when you play with the point backwards the distance to the striker generally speaking becomes too big. The striker will therefore often be isolated from the rest of the team. It is then up to the quality of the midfielders whether they are able to deisolate the striker or not.”

Van Gaal reaffirms that the choice of system is dependent on the quality of the players. You must choose a system in which your players’ qualities will be utilized to the fullest. “The beautiful thing about my choice of system is that it creates a lot of lines. When you play with a 1-4-4-2 you have a flat four in midfield, creating only 3-4 lines. In our system of play we usually have about 6 lines (diagrams 3 and 4). So from a mathematical point of view you are creating a lot more passing opportunities. Your positioning is not only better in attack, but also in defense.”

DEFENCE

Within this formation you always have the positioning whereby there is one player who can execute pressure on the ball. When you are playing next to each other an opponent can easily find the free space by executing a couple of back passes (diagram 5). One of your players will then have to move up, which takes time and usually means you are too late. When you play next to each other it is mathematically harder to constrain your opponent, because there is always a player who needs to get out of position. When you are playing with more lines it will be easier to constrain your opponent. It is always about occupying regions. Take Barcelona for example, they play with the point backwards in midfield. They pressure on the side where the ball is with a lot of players and leave the other side free (diagram 6). Whenever you pressure the ball correctly, they opponent will never pass to the other side of the field anyways. This is, however, only possible when you have good field possession, more lines make it easier to surround the opponent and pressure the ball.” The individual distances are important in this way of pressing. The players on the opposite side of the ball have to move in. All players have to be willing to do something. Due to the many lines the individual distances are never more then 5-10 meters, making it easier for the players to cover them.

OPPONENTS

The opponents’ formation does play a role, but it does not change much. “Because our field possession is always the same it means that we have to cover less space,” Van Gaal reiterates. “When he opponent is playing with 4 defenders, our left winger, for example, can move in provoking a pass to their right wingback. From there we can we can constrain them.”The opponent’s numerical advantage will thereby be eliminated.“If the opponent’s lesser build up player is covering the center, the striker can force him to gain possession by covering the other central defender. The individual distances are again very small meaning pressure can immediately be executed (diagrams 7 and 8).” These issues always deal with your own qualities and the qualities of the opponent. The strikers have to be able to cover a player in such a way that the opponent is forced to play in a manner the own team want them to play. By analyzing the opponent’s build up one can gather how they prefer to build up. The preferred build up has to be made impossible. “It may also occur that we constrain the opponent entirely by moving in our number 10. We then play 1v1 across the entire field.”

AGAINST TWO STRIKERS

“The toughest situation for us occurs when we are playing against two striker and we want to defend forward. This is due to the large spaces in the back, which makes the 1v1 situation very dangerous. Usually I will add a player in between (diagram 9). The problem then is that the spaces on midfield will become larger, so are number 10 will have to play in midfield. The result of this is that the opponent will have an extra player in defense and will outnumber us in that area 4 versus 3. We will be playing in a 3-4-3 formation, whereby our number 10 is a fourth midfielder instead of a second striker. In this situation you will have to play with a different number 10.” Another solution is to allow the back to squeeze more and pressure the side of the ball. They will guard the opponent in the zone at first (diagram 10) “Defending will become harder as the half winger will now be able to easily receive the ball. You will often be too late to interfere as the distances are too large.” The problem lies predominantly in the covering through of the number 10. “Against three strikers our number 10 will always be able to cover through, because I am one of the only coaches who believes three defenders is enough to cover the last line, by means of accurate sagging and shifting. This is however impossible with two defenders. In this case it is dependent on the opponent’s strikers. In a situation like this they must not be quick and agile, because if they are you will be unable to play 2v2 in such a large area. Against two stiffer strikers this may be a little easier. In my opinion the way in which we can pressure is therefore dependent on the opponent’s formation. You must always respect your opponent and acknowledge their qualities. This information is important to determine whether you, as a coach, can decide to play 1v1 and whether your number 10 can function as a second striker.”

EDIT: Don't post thread titles in all caps.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkC

ATTACKING

AZ is not known for their defense, but rather for the offense. They are both intertwined. Van Gaal has already made it clear that creating lines is important for good position play. “When you play fast circulation soccer you will be able to continuously pressure the opponent. Whenever you circulate the ball a lot, the opponent will likewise have to circulate a lot, increasing their chances of making a positional mistake. When a player is not moving or dribbling slowly you are making it easy for the opponent. Not moving for 2 seconds means an opponent can correct a positional mistake. When a player immediately decides to initiate a quick dribble the opponent will not have a chance to recover. The problem with quickly moving the play is that the opponent can make it harder by playing compact, also a cross pass can easily be intercepted creating a dangerous situation.” Van Gaal rather uses the word ball movement instead of ball circulation, because a ball, which is being passed around in one area of the field does not create any problems for the opponent. “Ball movement does not necessarily mean that you can’t dribble. You have to recognize the moment in which you can create a 2v1 situation. Whenever the opponent has moved in such a way that they can pick up their man and provide cover you should not initiate a dribble, because you will be outnumbered 1v2."

CREATIVE PLAYERS

“The attacking team must ensure that the creative players will get as many chances as possible to decide the moment in which a dribble or action can be made. These players have the quality to create something, where other player may not have this.” You therefore especially need players who can move the game so that the creative players can be brought into play, whereby they have enough time and space to make the difference. Creative players can determine whether or not to initiate a risky continuation in a small space. “When you have midfielder who can also make the right decisions in the small spaces you are in luck as a coach.”

OPPONENT FALLS BACK

“When the opponent plays compact and falls back, you will not be able to move the ball quickly. Or the ball has to be passed back and moved through the last line. The fans will often react negatively to this situation.” According to van Gaal there is also little understanding from the media for the fact that AZ is unable to move the play quickly in a situation like this, making it hard to play an attractive game. For example in the Champions League final, where Arsenal is faced with a 10v11 situation to their disadvantage and falls back. Even a top team like Barcelona is unable to move the play quickly against Arsenal’s 10 players and unable to create the many chances you would expect to see. “When the opponent falls back in a compact block, they will create short distances amongst themselves. I believe moving play by means of the last line is an excellent way of dealing with this. This is however not very difficult for the opponent to play against as they do not have to make a lot of meters up, because they are playing compact. This small movement of the ball does not cost the opponent a lot of energy. The key thing here is concentration. When a player steps out of the organization, even if it is just a meter, the quality of the dominant team lies within being able to play a through ball (diagram 11). This is determined by quality.” Sometimes the opponent forces you to take the ball out and move it. The key thing is making sure you get your creative players in ball possession. “When you move the ball the opponent has to constantly be concentrated. And some weaker teams are unable to do this. They are mentally unable to adhere to the positional organization for 90 minutes.”

ASSIST

“You sometimes see the midfielders, who must move the play, searching for an assist, but they are link players, who must be able to hold on to the ball. The creative midfielder must be the ones searching for the assist, because the capacity to place the ball with precision and the right ball speed amongst all those defenders is exceptionally difficult. The 6 and 8 are often positioned more outside and are therefore often free to receive a pass. The opponent will allow them more space, which frequently makes them believe that they can bring that creativity (diagram 12). However, they must ensure that 10 will become free to receive the pass, because he is much closer to the goal. A pass from a ball-holding midfielder to the strikers is much harder than a pass from that creative midfielder.”

POSITIONAL CHANGES

Positional changes are according to Van Gaal not the solution to a break a compact defense. “When they play compact and we change positions, they we just stay in position. They will pick the opponent up only at the moment the ball can be played. At least when it is a good opponent, against weaker team’s positional changes may be an option to break the defense. I, however, believe that a player should be able to operate from his position. This position is, however, not bound to a line. The position is about an area in which a player should and must play. For the left winger (11) is this, for example, the space between the penalty area and the middle line on the side of the field (diagram 13). He must see this space in relation to his teammates and his opponents. From this position he must make room for his teammates, but he must also join at the right moment. He must especially learn to create space for himself by making a pre-move at the right moment, but must do this at a time when there is a chance he will get the ball. You are going to train this by putting him under pressure from an opponent, whereby you may include a third man who can play a role in this. You can coach on this in exercises and small sided games.”

EXCERCISES

“This past season I made the players at AZ play from within their position in position games. The players and assistants never saw this before. When you are given a space in which you must operate you will automatically learn to communicate with your teammates and opponents within this space. You will, for example, tell 11 to only play in area 1 and 2 in a positional game and this is how you have everyone play from within their own position (diagram 14). By including goalkeepers you can train to build up. A coach must be creative with things like this. You can also just play across the right side, or the left side, or via a certain line.” It is not about the exercise, but about the objective. The objective must create the exercise. “You create exercises from the game situation. You look at what players do well and not so well and you emulate these situations in your practice.

WINNING

“When you look at how we were eliminated last year you can conclude this was more so due to ourselves than due to our opponents. This has to do with the mental aspects of the game. This team was never thought to win all the time. Two seasons ago Co Adriaanse started this process and we continued it last season. In order to create that feeling of being unbeatable in the team you need time. Say this does not work; you will then have to look at scouting new players. Barcelona also did this two years ago. The team lost too much and thereby also lost that feeling of being unbeatable.”

If you have managed to get to the end well done. Have a look at the diagrams in the link for a better understanding. This shows Van Gaal does actually try and play football so for anyone searching for more knowledge and understanding I hope it is interesting for you. It would be a tragedy if this guy went because we don't see what he is trying to do and understand this transformation takes time.

You can really see some genius in some of his thinking simple but so effective. You can see why Guardiola made the comment My jaw dropped when I saw Van Gaal's Ajax play," They did everything a football team should do perfectly in my eyes." This is the genius of Van Gaal for me.

Enigma_87

You know who
I think you missed the point:

"When things are not going well hoof it to Fellaini. "

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Didn't read!

I'd rather trust my eyes than theoretical considerations.

Last edited:

Hed Zitin

When you've scraped the bottom of the barrel and it's 'get it to the big man' time, then that says to me he's ran out of ideas and thrown all that out of the window.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I'm not sure what I was supposed to get from that article other than the idea that the team are obeying orders when they hit it to Fellaini.

Prior to LvG's arrival I thought we were going to play a forward pointing 433, because that's what I'd heard was his favourite formation. Currently we appear to have switched to something that might be a backward facing 433. The article might also explain why our "diamond" doesn't work - it isn't one.

I think I've just learned what I've assumed all season, the players are trying to do what they are told.

jem

Didn't read!

I'd rather trust my eyes than theoretical considerations.
Well after a while it's just so much hot air from LVG. His past achievements buy him a certain amount of credit, but it's time to start seeing positive results on the pitch (ie. not losing twice to Swansea and scraping lucky wins against FA Cup fodder.) He better get it right in the summer.

Dion

Didn't read!

I'd rather trust my eyes rather than theoretical considerations.
Unfortunately your eyes are still connected to your brain.

kps88

The only two times he admits doubt or difficulty are in scenarios that would sound very familiar to us. I bet he's seeing a lot more of these two scenarios in England than anywhere else in his career.

"When the opponent plays compact and falls back, you will not be able to move the ball quickly. Or the ball has to be passed back and moved through the last line. The fans will often react negatively to this situation.” According to van Gaal there is also little understanding from the media for the fact that AZ is unable to move the play quickly in a situation like this, making it hard to play an attractive game. For example in the Champions League final, where Arsenal is faced with a 10v11 situation to their disadvantage and falls back. Even a top team like Barcelona is unable to move the play quickly against Arsenal’s 10 players and unable to create the many chances you would expect to see.
“The toughest situation for us occurs when we are playing against two striker and we want to defend forward. This is due to the large spaces in the back, which makes the 1v1 situation very dangerous.

MDFC Manager

The only two times he admits doubt or difficulty are in scenarios that would sound very familiar to us. I bet he's seeing a lot more of these two scenarios in England than anywhere else in his career.
Excellent spot. He'll have to have a long hard think about how to do things during the summer break. (Yes, I believe he'll still be here next season)

Rednotdead

Words mean nothing, all that counts is the results he produces on the pitch.

If we don't get 4th this season he will have failed and no amount of theorising will be able to hide that.

diarm

All of this theory is well and good when you have intelligent leaders on the field to implement it. Van Gaal would have done brilliantly with the likes of Keane, Giggs, Scholes and Robson.

Being as respectful as I can, who in our current squad stands out as intelligent? Carrick, Blind and Herrera I would say. None of whom stand out as leaders. Van Persie is clever enough to get it, but at his best, is a talented individual rather than an inspirational leader on the pitch. He's far from his best at the moment.

Van Gaals philosophy has worked at Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern because he had players such as Rijkaard, Seedorf, Davids, the De Boers, Reitzeger, Enrique, Guardiola, Xavi, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Robben and Muller.

We have Marouane Fellaini.

LeChuck

CE Specialist
All of this theory is well and good when you have intelligent leaders on the field to implement it. Van Gaal would have done brilliantly with the likes of Keane, Giggs, Scholes and Robson.

Being as respectful as I can, who in our current squad stands out as intelligent? Carrick, Blind and Herrera I would say. None of whom stand out as leaders. Van Persie is clever enough to get it, but at his best, is a talented individual rather than an inspirational leader on the pitch. He's far from his best at the moment.

Van Gaals philosophy has worked at Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern because he had players such as Rijkaard, Seedorf, Davids, the De Boers, Reitzeger, Enrique, Guardiola, Xavi, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Robben and Muller.

I also think age comes into it.

The players you mentioned were all very young, nascent in their careers, and a lot more adaptable to change and easier to mould (when LvG was manager).

We have Rooney (29), RvP (31), Falcao (28), AdM (27), Evans (27), Carrick (33) (of course there are exceptions and have had good seasons so far, such as Young and Carrick), who have played with a different mentality for much of their careers. And this 'practice' becomes habitual, and a part of their footballing DNA.

The biggest critics of LvG have tended to be the elder players that he managed (Ribery, Toni, Lucio). But he's hand a big hand in the development of some of the games biggest stars (Xavi, Muller, Kroos, Ibra spring to mind). He's had a massive influence on Mourinho (who was nascent in his managerial career, so this thought of mine can be extrapolated to him), and you can suggest he's had a big influence on Guardiola as a player and manager.

I'm not saying this is a hard and fast rule, and is definitely the case, but it seems to me to be a trend.

If anything, we might see the younger players we have really elevate their status in the game and I hope this is the case with Januzaj and perhaps Wilson.

NoLogo

This was already posted shortly after it was clear he would be our new manager. But considering that it's pretty evident that a lot of people are still confused about what he actually talks about when he mentions philosophy it's a relevant topic to talk about.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

@kps88 quoted a couple of extracts from the article.

The article is interesting in that it actually describes a lot of the flaws and issues that come with the LvG style and his various formations. In fact it describes a lot of what we're seeing on the pitch this season. It even describes the long ball to Fellaini tactic.

In fact, it's almost as if other managers know what the flaws and issues with our playing style actually are, and they are exploiting them. Imagine that.

It also notes that even the best of them, lets call them Barcelona, can find it difficult and need a Plan B (in their case it was send Pique up front). In other words, it's not just a question of personnel.

LawCharltonBest

Enjoys watching fox porn
Thanks @MarkC

Personally think van Gaal isn't doing much wrong. Think United's problems are far deeper than what he can fix in a few months. Next season after he has corrected the teams weaknesses, we will see a style truer to van Gaal and Manchester United.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It is all well and good having the correct philosophy but he needs players in the squad who can understand it and execute it.

At the moment, we don't have the right players in the squad and he needs to drag us to that 4th spot. If he does so and brings in the right players and gets rid of the right ones, we could be flying next season but it really is too close to call at the moment if he survives or not.

He has also made some bizarre selection choices, so he isn't helping himself at all.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The article is interesting in that it actually describes a lot of the flaws and issues that come with the LvG style and his various formations. In fact it describes a lot of what we're seeing on the pitch this season. It even describes the long ball to Fellaini tactic.
Indeed. This part struck me:

Ball movement does not necessarily mean that you can’t dribble. You have to recognize the moment in which you can create a 2v1 situation. Whenever the opponent has moved in such a way that they can pick up their man and provide cover you should not initiate a dribble, because you will be outnumbered 1v2.
Which makes sense, as such. But. 1) It's damn cerebral. As in, it's diametrically opposite to anything you can call gung-ho. And 2) It is quite obvious that if a player is out there with this "philosophy" in mind, he can easily come to over-think his every move (and his every movement).

It's an approach which can make a team damn near unbeatable if every player is on the same page, adhering to the system, recognizing "the right moment" throughout the match - but...if they are not on the same page, if they don't recognize the moment, or perhaps more importantly if they're afraid to make a move because they're not sure of whether it's "correct" according to Hoyle (or rather Van Hoyle)...then you end up looking shaky and impotent. Much like we have been looking far too often this season.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Does anyone have a link to an interview with Klose (from some years back) in which he talks about LVG and his methods?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Does anyone have a link to an interview with Klose (from some years back) in which he talks about LVG and his methods?
I don't think Klose ever gave an interview in which he really talked about van Gaal's methods. It was just that one phrase in the interview after he retired from the German nationalteam. I can't find the full interview at the moment, but the following covers it almost completely if I remember it correctly.

Seine schwierigste Zeit sei die bei Bayern München gewesen, "vor allem die Zusammenarbeit mit Louis van Gaal" sei eine harte Zeit gewesen: "Ich fühlte mich nicht frei, es war für mich sehr schwierig, seine Erwartungen zu erfüllen. Er forderte mich auf, Wege auf dem Spielfeld zu gehen, die ich einfach nicht sah." Er habe alles gegeben, "aber manchmal passt es wohl einfach nicht".
Which translates to:
His most difficult time was at Bayern Munich, "especially the work with Louis van Gaal" was very tough: "I didn't feel free, it was very difficult for me to fulfill his expecatations. He asked me to go ways on the pitch, that I couldn't see at all". He gave it all, "but sometimes it's just not the right fit".
I always found it odd that Klose struggled so much. I always thought of him as a very intelligent footballer with brilliant movement. Between 2009 and 2012, the off the ball movement between him, Müller and Özil in the nationalteam was absolutely fantastic. So fluid and complementary, but I guess Löw gave them a lot of freedom and it just clicked, while van Gaal gave the players strict tasks and it didn't work for Klose. Van Gaal made some very odd decisions regarding Klose though, he even played him in a number 10 role a few times. I doubt anyone was surprised that it was an awful idea. Things like these always made me wonder if van Gaal really 'gets' his players or just throws shit against the wall to find out what sticks. And then the reason why his teams always struggle so much in the first 3-6months might not be that the players don't get his philosophy, but that he doesn't get his players and just uses them plain wrong within his philosophy. He simply needs too much time to understand the strengths and weaknesses of his squad.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Thanks, @Balu - that is indeed the quote I was thinking of.

Yes, it's surprising Klose of all players struggled with this. You'd think he'd be able to adapt to any kind of system, really - being, as you say, a very clever player. But then again, perhaps he was too clever, in a sense: A certain kind of intelligence requires a bit of freedom. Some people do their best work when left to interpret the patterns themselves, rather than being forced to stick to a certain formula.

Interesting observations on LVG too. I seems to me that at least some of his decisions, regarding the use of players in various roles and positions, are just plain illogical. As though he tries some things just for the sake of it, almost - in the vague hope that something will happen which is just plain contrary to all reasonable expectations.

RedPnutz

Excellent article from the past that explains and illustrates what's happening with us now. It is clear we don't have the optimal personnel for this philosophy and LVg is trying to build from the ground up.

There is the talk of balance which clarifies why we went with 3-5-2 initially. If you read in detail about how the defence is expected to move and cover, how the midfield is supposed to operate, and what he expects from a creative player etc, indicate we probably do not have the right players for this system. He even expains the need to play the long ball at times and the importance of winning the second ball.

But some fans would rather moan than try to read and understand what's going on.

It would be interesting to see how one of SAF past teams operating under this system. Rio Ferdinand being that prime defender to play it out of the back, Vidic to win all the aerial balls against long ball merchants. Evra and Neville with the ability and fitness to cover in attack and defence. You'd have Carrick who could move between the defensive midfield and the centre. Scholes would be the critical creative player who'd always knew what to do in a tight space. Ronaldo and Giggs on the wings that would let you beat players, sometime almost at will, creating pockets of spaces and more angles. Maybe Berbatov would have been great, he always looked like a cerebral player. Of course there was Rooney and also maybe even RVN would be been great. No doubt Park would have been very useful in such a system.

I am not one that lets nostalgia sugarcoat perspectives but looking back, i really wonder at the quality of the current squad versus the quality that SAF was able to put out. Fundamentally, as the article suggests, the highest level that can be reached is still dependent on the quality of players.

Timdbro

“When you play fast circulation soccer you will be able to continuously pressure the opponent. Whenever you circulate the ball a lot, the opponent will likewise have to circulate a lot, increasing their chances of making a positional mistake. When a player is not moving or dribbling slowly you are making it easy for the opponent. Not moving for 2 seconds means an opponent can correct a positional mistake. When a player immediately decides to initiate a quick dribble the opponent will not have a chance to recover."

This at least shows that when our players are making slow decisions (especially in attacking areas) it's not exactly an instruction from LVG. As we've posited before, the slow decision making we're unfortunately still seeing is probably it to the players not being comfortable with the sort of movement LVG encourages.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
But some fans would rather moan than try to read and understand what's going on.
I read it and I read him acknowledging the problems with the systems he's playing and the kind of counter-measures opponents use. It's more or less what we're seeing PL teams doing to us and confirms that the longball to Fellaini is indeed a standard tactic not a panic measure.

However, if the solution to our problems is to replace another 6 players in the first 11 in the summer and hope that then it'll work that's a leap of faith a lot of us are going to find it hard to make.

“When you play fast circulation soccer you will be able to continuously pressure the opponent. Whenever you circulate the ball a lot, the opponent will likewise have to circulate a lot, increasing their chances of making a positional mistake. When a player is not moving or dribbling slowly you are making it easy for the opponent. Not moving for 2 seconds means an opponent can correct a positional mistake. When a player immediately decides to initiate a quick dribble the opponent will not have a chance to recover."

This at least shows that when our players are making slow decisions (especially in attacking areas) it's not exactly an instruction from LVG. As we've posited before, the slow decision making we're unfortunately still seeing is probably it to the players not being comfortable with the sort of movement LVG encourages.
That's why I still have this vague hope that we'll see it all suddenly click into place, the players will stop "thinking" and start doing. I'm just not sure that his team selections and the instructions that are being given to the players have been conducive to that happening.

Which is why people are looking at LvG as the central figure in getting it right, rather than the individual players. After all, what he told us about his system was that they do it (as Blind, Rooney and RvP presumably do, given they are the ever presents) or they're out.

Water Melon

I don't think Klose ever gave an interview in which he really talked about van Gaal's methods. It was just that one phrase in the interview after he retired from the German nationalteam. I can't find the full interview at the moment, but the following covers it almost completely if I remember it correctly.

Which translates to:

I always found it odd that Klose struggled so much. I always thought of him as a very intelligent footballer with brilliant movement. Between 2009 and 2012, the off the ball movement between him, Müller and Özil in the nationalteam was absolutely fantastic. So fluid and complementary, but I guess Löw gave them a lot of freedom and it just clicked, while van Gaal gave the players strict tasks and it didn't work for Klose. Van Gaal made some very odd decisions regarding Klose though, he even played him in a number 10 role a few times. I doubt anyone was surprised that it was an awful idea. Things like these always made me wonder if van Gaal really 'gets' his players or just throws shit against the wall to find out what sticks. And then the reason why his teams always struggle so much in the first 3-6months might not be that the players don't get his philosophy, but that he doesn't get his players and just uses them plain wrong within his philosophy. He simply needs too much time to understand the strengths and weaknesses of his squad.
Unfortunately, @Balu seems to be pretty spot on about LvG. Not sure United as a club can afford such a gamble. The only thing to minimize our risks was/is putting in some performance-based criteria. If they are not met, Louis will probably have his contract terminated without the hope for extra-compensation. I believe, its quite a fair approach for both parties.