...and we're back

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
After a ridiculously long stretch of downtime, we have successfully resolved a hardware fault with the database server and rolled back the database to a backup from approx midnight on Saturday. Obviously this means everything posted since then has been lost, but given the amount of data corruption in the database, it was the safest option.

I can't apologise enough for this downtime. It has been a hugely frustrating couple of days. What should have been a relatively straight forward move of server hardware from one data centre to another turned into a bit of a nightmare.

Hopefully now everything is back to normal and we can forget this ever happened ;) As ever, you guys are my best eyes and ears so if you come across any odd behaviour - error pages, double posts etc - please post here and I'll investigate. The more detail you can provide about the problem the better.

Thanks again for your patience. Hopefully this is the last time we have such a lengthy outage.

Update:
So I spoke to soon. Obviously we're still having a lot of problems, error pages, double posts. We're actively looking into it and hopefully a solution is not far away.

Update 2:
I think we've tracked down the problem, a rogue database query that was using the wrong index which lead to long running queries that would eventually block all the database threads. As ever, can people please let me know if things are working better now - specifically when it comes to posting and editing posts. Thanks.

Shimo

Thanks for the work / effort in getting my addiction back up.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm getting the 'Canae take the strain' message when I try to quick reply.

humdinger

still lots of 'canae take the strain' messages and has been very difficult to post any replies, but thanks for bringing the caf back to us! I was going through withdrawal!

Brophs

The One and Only
Yeah, almost nothing's working for me without having to try about twenty times.

032Devil

Sadly, still not operating properly though. Not on AppleMac laptop.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's too late - I've decided to support Athletico Fray Bentos instead.

brad-dyrak

I just got 2 really productive full days of work done. It was horrible.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
I just got a message telling me to wait 30 seconds between posts, even though it was 30 odd minutes since my last

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
A poster named Mr Anderson requested that I post his PM to me in this thread:

Since you posted in the "we're back" thread, I'm unable to with either quick reply, or advanced methods, in any thread. I keep getting the message "you cant post in the same thread within 30 seconds, please try again in 15 seconds". But no post is published.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Our forum is still sick. He doesn't seem to like the new hardware.. :(

But at least it's better than yesterday.. :nervous:

Why was this change necessary??

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Our forum is still sick. He doesn't seem to like the new hardware.. :(

But at least it's better than yesterday.. :nervous:

Why was this change necessary??
Out of necessity the server hardware had to be moved to a new data centre. We also added a new database server at the same time and it's having a few, shall we say, teething problems :(

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I've missed the caf, I automatically open it along with Facebook and I was getting transfer news withdrawls :(

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The loading times are much better now.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's back to the best!