And you thought Rooney's 1st went in slowly!

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Same exact thing has happened before. I guess these keepers don't spend enough time in football forums or youtube or else he'd have learned.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Exactly the same thing. Well, almost:

Skholesy

Erm...correct me if i'm wrong, but if its a penalty shoot out and not one in normal play, then only the first "sequence" counts, ie, the moment the ball had hit the bar and stayed out then it wouldn't have counted as being in.

So really, that the ball went in after is irrelevant, the penalty is missed...i mean, if say a goalkeeper has caught a ball, then a couple of seconds later decides to throw the ball in the net, the penalty still woudn't have counted...

Scrumpet

There are no words
How do you define a sequence though? If the ball hits the bar, bounces down on the line and spins into the the net, no one is going to say it shouldn't count.

PhilipB

got third place in a Juan Mata lookalike contest
Last week, I either ran over a sheep or ran over a
Erm...correct me if i'm wrong, but if its a penalty shoot out and not one in normal play, then only the first "sequence" counts, ie, the moment the ball had hit the bar and stayed out then it wouldn't have counted as being in.

So really, that the ball went in after is irrelevant, the penalty is missed...i mean, if say a goalkeeper has caught a ball, then a couple of seconds later decides to throw the ball in the net, the penalty still woudn't have counted...
Isn't it just the exact same scenario as the ball hitting the post and going in? It's just the same except it took a long longer in that video.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
There's the goalkeeper walking away, wondering why his team mates are yelling at him to turn around and run back.

Arruda

Supports
Porto

Nothing about "sequences" in the rules of the game.

That is a perfectly valid penalty, I have no doubts about that. The ball may touch the posts, bar, keeper, pitch, any number of times.

If a keeper grabs the goal and throws it in the net I'd assume a goal would be awarded, unless the referee already signalled the next kicker to come, or the end of the match, if it's the last one.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
It's not as if the player has had a second tough of the ball, its continued movement was still as a result of the force of the initial contact.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Exactly the same thing. Well, almost:

That's the first thing I thought of when I viewed the video in the OP.

As for whether it should be awarded or not, I agree with those who said it's a goal. The taker didn't touch the ball again after the initial contact and it didn't go out of play.

Chabon

It's called the Madrid rule, the ball's live until it stops.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Thanks for that verminator!

Skholesy

Nothing about "sequences" in the rules of the game.

That is a perfectly valid penalty, I have no doubts about that. The ball may touch the posts, bar, keeper, pitch, any number of times.

If a keeper grabs the goal and throws it in the net I'd assume a goal would be awarded, unless the referee already signalled the next kicker to come, or the end of the match, if it's the last one.
Well, i stand corrected then...i don't know, something about that goal just seems too utterly ridiculous to be given, especially in a penalty shoot out scenario