Ander Herrera: Football not always most important thing at United (Read translation for context)

momo83

Massive Snowflake
He never said that, we have enough reasons to be against Woodward to not make up the same nonsense every other week. He was asked if one season of good result would yield new sponsoring deals and he answered no.

The culture at the Camp des loges is set by the coaching staff and Leonardo, if we have an issue with players' focus in the locker room then we have to look at the staff, they are the ones setting the tone.
Good point. Does make you wonder why JLingz is allowed to act more like a Z list celebrity then footballer. We never hear similar things from Liverpool or City players, obviously they also do there side things. But that’s the thing for them it’s football first.

Ekeke

Good point. Does make you wonder why JLingz is allowed to act more like a Z list celebrity then footballer. We never hear similar things from Liverpool or City players, obviously they also do there side things. But that’s the thing for them it’s football first.
True

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Arsenal, Spurs & Chelsea were relatively average and didn't have that much money back then (Living in London may have been a pull), I think it's a mix between competitiveness and money I suppose.
Those players arrived when the new Premier League tv deal gave clubs money. Arsenal, Chelsea, and Spurs always had more money then average. But the addition of money from tv deal allowed them to compete with wages against foreign teams.

MonkeysMagic

I have always been of the opinion that there is something fundamentally wrong with our training, you can exclude everything else like commercial promotion, player activities and transfer business. It's the training centre where skills are honed, fitness gained and tactics drilled. That's the domain of the manager and coaching staff, not the CEO! Anders is merely stating what most of us suspect but some bury their heads in the sand and blame everything else.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I suspect that it's what he initially alluded to, what the people he directly interacts with on a daily basis live football, staff and players. And there isn't much that you can do about Lingard public presence outside of selling him, he is a free man, the club doesn't "allow" him anything.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Nail on the head, Ander... but we still managed to beat your 'football first' circus, so take your Qatar money you earn for being injured and stick it in your c*nt.

fps

Is football the most important thing to you Ander for joining PSG?
It clearly is, he left a sinking ship for a champions league team who will win things and to play with top players. That’s what you want as a player.

red thru&thru

I saw that part and that part is bs cliché that I mentioned and it comes from the journalist. Herrera makes the focus remark before the mention of business and in his answer he says that everything at PSG is about football, he uses the staff as an example saying that they are already at work when he arrives and also that Leonardo is there everyday. Then the journalist ask if it was different at United, he says that he sometimes felt that football wasn't always the focus, the journalist asks if it was on business, he says that it's not his words and that he doesn't know but that he felt that football wasn't always the most important thing and that now he was breathing football.

You may think that this part is insignificant but the example that he used wasn't about business, it was about professionalism and dedication from the staff. Funnily enough Matuidi made the same type of remark when he joined Juventus from PSG.
So you genuinely believe when Herrera talks about football not being the most important thing at United, he was referring to the professionalism of the coaches and the players?

Untd55

You can can't on 2 hands the amount of decent games Herrera had in his 5 years at Man Utd. Herrera moving clubs to be a squad player at PSG is the same level of greed as when Oscar did a runner to China for the money, despite being tipped for a huge career.

Scott McTominay is on £60,000 a week and is twice the player Herrera is already. Herrera was in the right place at the right time and got very very lucky that he put in his best ever performance away to PSG while a crowd full of billionaires were watching. PSG are realizing that they are paying an £80,000 midfielder £300,000 a week.
You must be joking. McTominay is nowhere near as good as Herrera, which is why he is here at a 10th place Manutd team and Herrera is at a Champion's League challenging PSG. Do you think PSG would go for the great McTominay? Hell no because he is average.

red thru&thru

The marketing team had a whole Pogba twitter hashtag during a game against Liverpool, along the boards across the pitch! We all know commercial is the most important thing at United and not winning titles.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Nail on the head, Ander... but we still managed to beat your 'football first' circus, so take your Qatar money you earn for being injured and stick it in your c*nt.
What good did it do us, except make us self-satisfied as a club and where has that got us? PSG went out and got a new goalkeeper, stacked their midfield and have brought in another striker. We just patted ourselves on the back and said everything is great.

Shiva87

You must be joking. McTominay is nowhere near as good as Herrera, which is why he is here at a 10th place Manutd team and Herrera is at a Champion's League challenging PSG. Do you think PSG would go for the great McTominay? Hell no because he is average.
Wow! Are you kidding me. McTominnay is the reason we are 10th? He's been our most consistent player this season, and is about 8 years younger than Ander. Get a grip.

Don't understand what you are getting by berating our home grown kid.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I suspect that it's what he initially alluded to, what the people he directly interacts with on a daily basis live football, staff and players. And there isn't much that you can do about Lingard public presence outside of selling him, he is a free man, the club doesn't "allow" him anything.
I’m sure a manager such as SAF or Klopp could give him a choice.

Kemizee

PSG care about football far more than us.

And he's spot on.
Of course they do. Anyone who says otherwise is blinded by club loyalty. They are constantly improving and want to be among the very top echelon of the European game. Simply put, they have ambitious owners and they are yearly upping their footballing scale. What we have going on here is a plethora of average decisions from an average manager/coaching staff and a board whose primary motivation lies elsewhere and not on the pitch. Maybe new owners will change this status quo. Who knows?

Last edited:

He'sRaldo

I wouldn't listen to anything Herrera says in the press.

What did he come out with when he was at our club? I'm sure it wasn't anything similar to this.

JPRouve

Scout
So you genuinely believe when Herrera talks about football not being the most important thing at United, he was referring to the professionalism of the coaches and the players?
Yes, because the thing that he mentioned without being asked were about the staff, the atmosphere and intensity on the training ground. You may think that the club doesn't focus on football and I won't argue against that point but Herrera talked about his daily interaction on the training ground with the staff.

Kemizee

You can can't on 2 hands the amount of decent games Herrera had in his 5 years at Man Utd. Herrera moving clubs to be a squad player at PSG is the same level of greed as when Oscar did a runner to China for the money, despite being tipped for a huge career.

Scott McTominay is on £60,000 a week and is twice the player Herrera is already. Herrera was in the right place at the right time and got very very lucky that he put in his best ever performance away to PSG while a crowd full of billionaires were watching. PSG are realizing that they are paying an £80,000 midfielder £300,000 a week.
Absolute crap. British sentiments at it's finest!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
What good did it do us, except make us self-satisfied as a club and where has that got us? PSG went out and got a new goalkeeper, stacked their midfield and have brought in another striker. We just patted ourselves on the back and said everything is great.
What good it did ? It showed that Herrera is a copout and rather wants to play in a league where he will win the title every year because of the lower standard. People love to bash McTominay but at least he doesn't look the type who'll quit because nobody presented him a lucrative contract for being injured in key parts of the season. PSG doesn't need Herrera to win the title every year, that's the truth of it and there are miles better talents than him that PSG can afford.

Now, the fact that we did absolute fook all to reinforce our midfield and solve the most obvious problems is totally on us, there's no getting away from this.

snowkarl

Those players arrived when the new Premier League tv deal gave clubs money. Arsenal, Chelsea, and Spurs always had more money then average. But the addition of money from tv deal allowed them to compete with wages against foreign teams.
Arsenal were bankrolled by Danny Fiszman which allowed them to outspend most English club in much of the 90's but you are correct for the most part - but mostly it was us, Arsenal and some of the hasbeen clubs like Villa, Leeds and Blackburn who were able to spend more than previously.

What good it did ? It showed that Herrera is a copout and rather wants to play in a league where he will win the title every year because of the lower standard. People love to bash McTominay but at least he doesn't look the type who'll quit because nobody presented him a lucrative contract for being injured in key parts of the season. PSG doesn't need Herrera to win the title every year, that's the truth of it and there are miles better talents than him that PSG can afford.

Now, the fact that we did absolute fook all to reinforce our midfield and solve the most obvious problems is totally on us, there's no getting away from this.
PSG are a better team competing in the CL and have elite coaching staff as well as absolute world class players. I hope you realize that there are close to ZERO players that in 2019 would choose United over PSG.

Players aren't clamoring to play for Aston Villa or AC Milan - football moves fast and it's extremely naive to think someone should stay here on lower wages to "compete" (for mid table or what?) rather than go play with Neymar, Mbappe, Veratti et al in the late stages of the Champions League while winning league and cup titles on the way... while making more money.

Classical Mechanic

I wouldn't listen to anything Herrera says in the press.

What did he come out with when he was at our club? I'm sure it wasn't anything similar to this.
I always thought he was the leak too. He wanted to be a journalist if he wasn't a player and was chummy with some of them. There was more to Ander than met the eye.

JPRouve

Scout
I’m sure a manager such as SAF or Klopp could give him a choice.
Which would be to leave the club which he would anyway since he isn't good enough. The club doesn't really control players outside of football, particularly with things that aren't reprehensible. Take Sakho and Klopp as an example.

DomesticTadpole

Yes, because the thing that he mentioned without being asked were about the staff, the atmosphere and intensity on the training ground. You may think that the club doesn't focus on football and I won't argue against that point but Herrera talked about his daily interaction on the training ground with the staff.
It's an awkward one with the staff because last season he was dealing with two different sets of coaches. Now is he saying it was going back to Jose and him getting into a state over signings or Ole's lot, or both. That we are getting far too many injuries and it has been that way for years and we do not appear to be putting that right?

red thru&thru

But the interview starts with the interview Ander with Marca in July and what he told Marca about the 'differences' regarding United's project and his importance within that project, that led to his exit. We also don't know what the original question was to start the interview of with?! Ander begins with saying, "I cannot talk about what was happening in previous seasons..." (at PSG) he continues to say, "...that I'm in a club that thinks only and exclusively about football."

I highlighted the club bit in bold because he's talking about the club and not the team. His recent comments only compounds what the likes of LVG and Mourinho have said (I can't remember or not if Moyes said something similar). I don't understand what Ander gains from saying that football isn't important at United? He would have just said the people weren't professional enough if he really was aiming it at the coaching staff and players.

Champagne Football

You are talking rubbish. Herrera was injured in the Liverpool game, so didn't play against PSG, funny our result plummeted once him and a couple of others were out. Your Scott didn't show much then.
Herrera played in the first leg when PSG beat us comfortably at Old Trafford 0-2.
Herrera only ever upped his game and became miraculously injury free when it was contract renewal time. Anderson, Shaw and Nani are all guilty of pulling similar stunts in the past.

Herrera earns more now than Sadio Mane and Mo Salah combined. The usual going rate for a player of Herrera ability is £100,000 a week. That's more or less what central midfielders like Jordan Henderson, James Milner, Moussa Dembele of Spurs get.

He's just not thst good. Deal with it. We don't miss him as he is not better than Scott McTominay or Fred.

JPRouve

Scout
It's an awkward one with the staff because last season he was dealing with two different sets of coaches. Now is he saying it was going back to Jose and him getting into a state over signings or Ole's lot, or both. That we are getting far too many injuries and it has been that way for years and we do not appear to be putting that right?
Honestly I don't know but like I said Matuidi made the same type of remark regarding PSG when he joined Juventus. It baiscally comes down to intensity and the will to be the best at football.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Who blames him for moving there when the club messed him around with his contract? Not to mention PSG are actually in with a chance of winning the CL and we’re languishing in mid table mediocrity.

Miss him as he would have really helped us this season.

DomesticTadpole

Honestly I don't know but like I said Matuidi made the same type of remark regarding PSG when he joined Juventus. It baiscally comes down to intensity and the will to be the best at football.
Think when you have been as successful as us it is easy to just rest on your laurels and let things stagnate without realising it. In a way clubs like ours have led the way in promoting ourselves abroad now the likes of Juve, PSG and City are catching up, but have realised that first and foremost it is trophies that win you fans.

red thru&thru

What were Matuidi's comments? I've not seen them so would be interesting to read them.

Untd55

Wow! Are you kidding me. McTominnay is the reason we are 10th? He's been our most consistent player this season, and is about 8 years younger than Ander. Get a grip.

Don't understand what you are getting by berating our home grown kid.
We are 10th. McTominay has played every single game. Our midfield has no creativity nor is it defensively solid. Again, he has played every single game. What does that tell you? He is average.

If he was as great as people are saying, our midfield would be performing far better against the likes of the mighty Bournemouth, Newcastle and West Ham. You cannot blame every other midfielder except for McTominay. He is part of the problem.

I don't give leeway to youth players, though, he is not really a youth player anymore. Getting into a Premier League club should be hard and getting into the Manchester United side should be even more difficult. We have relaxed our standards, which is why McTominay has got into the team. With the wages players get, they should be judged by the standards of their club. McTominay is now a first-team player and should be judged in terms of the standards required of a Manutd first-team midfielder. He is clearly nowhere near those standards.

JPRouve

Scout
But the interview starts with the interview Ander with Marca in July and what he told Marca about the 'differences' regarding United's project and his importance within that project, that led to his exit. We also don't know what the original question was to start the interview of with?! Ander begins with saying, "I cannot talk about what was happening in previous seasons..." (at PSG) he continues to say, "...that I'm in a club that thinks only and exclusively about football."

I highlighted the club bit in bold because he's talking about the club and not the team. His recent comments only compounds what the likes of LVG and Mourinho have said (I can't remember or not if Moyes said something similar). I don't understand what Ander gains from saying that football isn't important at United? He would have just said the people weren't professional enough if he really was aiming it at the coaching staff and players.
Of course he would. Not being focused on football doesn't mean that you are specifcally focused on something, it can also means that you are drifting aimlessly which makes sense when you look at the way the club has acted sinces SAF left. His initial mention of the staff would make zero sense if he was talking about business and I don't think that he lies when he says that doesn't know what the focus is, which is an issue by itself, the club(players and staff) probably doesn't know itself at this point.

Ekeke

We are 10th. McTominay has played every single game. Our midfield has no creativity nor is it defensively solid. Again, he has played every single game. What does that tell you? He is average.

If he was as great as people are saying, our midfield would be performing far better against the likes of the mighty Bournemouth, Newcastle and West Ham. You cannot blame every other midfielder except for McTominay. He is part of the problem.

I don't give leeway to youth players, though, he is not really a youth player anymore. Getting into a Premier League club should be hard and getting into the Manchester United side should be even more difficult. We have relaxed our standards, which is why McTominay has got into the team. With the wages players get, they should be judged by the standards of their club. McTominay is now a first-team player and should be judged in terms of the standards required of a Manutd first-team midfielder. He is clearly nowhere near those standards.
A little bit harsh but I do see where you are coming from. There are certainly some areas he can improve on (regardless of what people are saying here) but at 22 he has time on his side to do that. Yes he's part of our midfield issue, but still the best part of it outperforming Fred and whoever is playing at CAM.

He'sRaldo

I always thought he was the leak too. He wanted to be a journalist if he wasn't a player and was chummy with some of them. There was more to Ander than met the eye.
Wouldn't put it past him, he's showed that the perception of himself is what's most important to him. He's probably one to do or say anything which will make him liked by his current club.

I can't trust him at all, and to me all the 'future captain' talk was baffling.

DomesticTadpole

A little bit harsh but I do see where you are coming from. There are certainly some areas he can improve on (regardless of what people are saying here) but at 22 he has time on his side to do that. Yes he's part of our midfield issue, but still the best part of it outperforming Fred and whoever is playing at CAM.
According to @Champagne Football Fred is better than Herrera as well. We are so lucky.