Ander Herrera: Football not always most important thing at United (Read translation for context)

romufc

That was a charity game organised by Roman that cost the club money, not a cash grab.
Why did it be have to be played then?

It raised 3.3m for charity, are you telling me that has no commercial value?

RUCK4444

I thought he was decent, above average but nothing special. Better than what we have but I believe McTominay can be the better player.

He wanted big money and he got it in Paris. Left a club with huge history and respect and moved to a farmers league. Therefore his opinion on United is irrelevant to me.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Is football the most important thing to you Ander for joining PSG?
Tbh, money was one of the reasons but also going to PSG from United for player like Herrera was best move. Playing for club which win titles and is challenger for CL vs playing for club which is nowhere near any title chalenge? Playing for club which want to be first and play with best players in the world vs long term project?
When you are 30y old, you would be a fool to pick us instead PSG

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People talk about PSG like they're some Qatar team, its quite funny, and oddly arrogant when you look at the state of our club right now.
It isn't like top players are bashing the door down to join us. Most a politely declining us. You are just waiting for the one who is a bit more blunt as to why they don't want to come here.

Well PSG players have pretty big commercial aspirations and they don't shy away from ads in France.

It's quite easy for them though. They win everything in France with their eyes closed and when they fail in Europe its 'oh well we will win it next year'. They don't have the same pressure we do, the best players don't have to give 100%.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
PSG care about football far more than us.

And he's spot on.
Exactly. Yes they do commercial things, but football is still the first and most important thing. All Woodward talks about is social media, commercial partnerships. It is only when someone reminds him we are a football club that he chirps in with challenging for trophies, that should be the first thing on your mind.

Ekeke

“And I say it sincerely, huh, because sometimes, seen from the outside, PSG can have a glamorous side that can irritate some. But here, we sweat, we train, we work!

“When I arrive at the training centre, the physios, podiatrist and physical trainer are already at work… Football, football, football… Leonardo is there every day.”
Probably talking about some players not working as hard in training, or some players being bought for their superstar status rather than how well they play for the team?

Red00012

You mean PSG who actually win trophies, have top players, and compete in the latter stages of the Champions League?
The latter stages ? They’ve been knocked out at 1st or 2nd attempt for the last few years. Even we’ve knocked them out for feck sake.

romufc

It had to be played because the charity means a lot to the owner. To play it was not a decision based on greed.
Fair enough.

But does this mean Chelsea do not chose pre season location, games based on commercial benefits?

Are you saying Chelsea don't do things purely based on football not commercial?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Fair enough.

But does this mean Chelsea do not chose pre season location, games based on commercial benefits?

Are you saying Chelsea don't do things purely based on football not commercial?
I'm saying you can't use the timing of that particular charity game as an example of a club prioritising revenue over football, that's all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's quite easy for them though. They win everything in France with their eyes closed and when they fail in Europe its 'oh well we will win it next year'. They don't have the same pressure we do, the best players don't have to give 100%.
But your statement would totally contradict his claims.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
PSG care about football far more than us.

And he's spot on.
A club who gave holiday to Neymar to celebrate sister's birthday ? A club who allegedly paid to reduce the tensions between star players ? A club who allegedly pays additional money through offshore accounts?
They can take that moral high stand as they want. Fact is -all of this sudden focus on football is pure BS.

Lynty

Is football the most important thing to you Ander for joining PSG?
I love United. But if I was a 30 year old combative midfielder, I'd also consider playing my final 5 years on a bumper contract in Paris.

JPRouve

Scout
Probably talking about some players not working as hard in training, or some players being bought for their superstar status rather than how well they play for the team?
No, he is talking to his new fanbase and club. It has no relevance to United, he would probably praise McDonald for their focus on nutrition if he was working for them.

el3mel

A club who gave holiday to Neymar to celebrate sister's birthday ? A club who allegedly paid to reduce the tensions between star players ? A club who allegedly pays additional money through offshore accounts?
They can take that moral high stand as they want. Fact is -all of this sudden focus on football is pure BS.
Yes they do care about winning trophies far more than us. They spend loads of moneys on bringing top players every year and sack managers for not competing in CL. It's not a rocket science for any player who has an option between United and PSG to know which option will provide him a better chance of winning big prizes in the future. Look at our position in the table and you'll get the answer.

romufc

I'm saying you can't use the timing of that particular charity game as an example of a club prioritising revenue over football, that's all.
Fair enough, I thought you were responding to the previous post I made.

Where a poster said we mess pre season for commercial purposes.

I mean if you want the money coming into the club, like all big clubs do, they have to do something in return as well.

These commercial deals are from over the world and they want their consumers to have a chance to see the players.

If Addidas are selling £60m a year they want their customers in China to see the players too.

Same way, the players have to interviews with BT and Sky because of the amount of money they give them giving the viewers a chance to get insight.

I mean a club can focus purely on football, then fans have no right to complain about not spending in transfer windows. Because, that's where the money comes from.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Laughable. You complain about commercials but then join PSG and say for footballing reasons.

Enjoy your money Ander. We still love you.
Kicking the ball is called football for amateurs.
Getting paid a lot, winning trophies, playing in a good team with world class players. That's part of football for professional player.

But your statement would totally contradict his claims.
Hes hardy going to say anything negative about PSG is he. Plus, it's easy to see everything in a positive light when you win every week.

red thru&thru

The problem here is that he is talking about the atmosphere around the training center, so it's a bit weird to talk about business or even Woodward. That atmosphere is the responsibility of the training staff, not the board. Sometimes it feels that people just go for easy cliché. Business isn't conducted at the AON training complex, it's done in the London HQ.
Business, especially football, isn't as easily simplified as you've just put it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Yeah, the most important thing is the stadium because if the stadium isn't properly taken care of, there would be no football.

It's egg or chicken all over again.

romufc

Oh Ander.. joined PSG because they offered more than Manutd.

Considering he would be a weekly starter here, his words are all PR.

Siorac

Laughable. You complain about commercials but then join PSG and say for footballing reasons.

Enjoy your money Ander. We still love you.
You do realise that PSG are a far better team than us, they are in the Champions League, are certainly going to win the French league title - that they are, in fact, a step up football-wise in every way?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Yep. A lot of our fans will hate this and will make reference to him joining PSG as an indicator of his 'ambition' in football but ambition is what it is really - better wage, guaranteed trophies domestically and potential of CL trophy. Plus actual CL football. He may have left for money but he has moved up in the world of modern football, no doubt about it.
Indeed.
But the problem is that many of our fans are deluded and still believe that we are better than other top clubs (such as PSG). They have not yet understood that we are mid-table team, who can't compete for trophies and have not hired a yes man, in Ole, because he will be grateful for the opportunity and won't make demands of Woodward, in terms of spending on top players to win trophies.

I've said it all along, while Woodward is here, we will continue to decline.
A new CEO will hire a DoF, who in turn will hire a manager and buy players which help us improve on the pitch.
Woodward is all about saving money and balancing the books. That's it.
Last Summer, we could've given what Jose wanted, bought players and made a title charge. Instead, he overruled the players Jose asked for (apparently Woodward knows more about football than Jose), offered no alternatives, demotived the manager, then sacked him, writing off the season in the process, then hired Ole whose only experience in the EPL is relegating Cardiff, then in the following Summer sold a lot of players, bought only a few to reduce the wage bill, while leaving the squad ill-equipped for the season. You couldn't make this stuff up!

Only when Woodward leaves, will we have any chance of getting near the top.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Great point :lol:
Yeah. Really embarrassed himself by going to play for a team that’s usually in the CL knockout stages, and considers not winning it a failure.

Should have stayed at United where this season finishing below 10th is acceptable

Sterling Archer

Hahahaha, it is just crazy how people will support Ed and the Glazer's.
Never surprises me anymore after hearing support for the likes of Paterno and even Sandusky. When it comes to sport, people have a hard time speaking against their team, even when it's for the best.

Smores

Not good to hear players coming out with this stuff.

OleTheGreat

I think Ander is right. He can now tell us the truth about United and its ways. We have not concentrated on the footballing aspects for a long time and as fans, we all frankly know about it. Why does it feel hypocritical when somebody who's been part of the team says so. Ander is telling us the truth now because he wants better for United even after leaving. Shows how much respect he had for the badge and I blame our board for losing such a good midfielder. PSG will help him get a few trophies he deserves.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
They win the farmers league every year with no competition, Yes they have some great players but they'll fail at last 16/quarter finals as they have the previous 7 attempts! bottlers even lost to us :lol:
They are a way better footballing destination than we are right now. You're deluded if you think otherwise.

JPRouve

Scout
Business, especially football, isn't as easily simplified as you've just put it.
I haven't defined business, so I could hardly simplify it. And the examples that Herrera mentioned have nothing to do with business, it has to do with professionalism and the personal ambition of the personnel at an individual level. We may have a problem with that but it has nothing to do with business because these issues are as bad for business as they are for football.

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah. Really embarrassed himself by going to play for a team that’s usually in the CL knockout stages, and considers not winning it a failure.

Should have stayed at United where this season finishing below 10th is acceptable

It's scaring me, the mindset of some of our fans.

Looking down their nose and trying to mock Ander Herrera who now is guaranteed to win trophies and is doing great in the CL, while lauding the team for beating Serbian nobodies at OT in the Europa League. The same team floundering in midtable.

Yeah, what a poor bastard Herrera is! He's really lost out there hasn't he. Dropped a real bollock leaving United.

red thru&thru

Indeed.
But the problem is that many of our fans are deluded and still believe that we are better than other top clubs (such as PSG). They have not yet understood that we are mid-table team, who can't compete for trophies and have not hired a yes man, in Ole, because he will be grateful for the opportunity and won't make demands of Woodward, in terms of spending on top players to win trophies.

I've said it all along, while Woodward is here, we will continue to decline.
A new CEO will hire a DoF, who in turn will hire a manager and buy players which help us improve on the pitch.
Woodward is all about saving money and balancing the books. That's it.
Last Summer, we could've given what Jose wanted, bought players and made a title charge. Instead, he overruled the players Jose asked for (apparently Woodward knows more about football than Jose), offered no alternatives, demotived the manager, then sacked him, writing off the season in the process, then hired Ole whose only experience in the EPL is relegating Cardiff, then in the following Summer sold a lot of players, bought only a few to reduce the wage bill, while leaving the squad ill-equipped for the season. You couldn't make this stuff up!

Only when Woodward leaves, will we have any chance of getting near the top.
Great post.

red thru&thru

Never surprises me anymore after hearing support for the likes of Paterno and even Sandusky. When it comes to sport, people have a hard time speaking against their team, even when it's for the best.
Just absolutely crazy. You're absolutely correct though. Some people are now condemning Herrera for leaving. The truth of the matter is, if we were competitive, he wouldn't have wanted to leave.