Ander Herrera should be the next Manchester United captain

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This article proves my point.

The author concludes that, on balance, Xabi Alonso is better because of the moments of magic he produces. However, the author claims that Barry is more consistent.

Sitting here nearly 10 years later, with the knowledge of hindsight, there is nobody who would think its sensible to compare Xabi Alonso to Gareth Barry in any way. Not only is the Xabi Alonso of the last 10 years as consistent as anyone in football, he's just obviously better than Barry. Yet in 2008 people thought it would be sensible to compare them. With hindsight it'd be like someone writing an article comparing Andros Townsend to Eden Hazard. They're just classes apart. In 2008 though, that wasn't immediately obvious, even to the Liverpool fan who wrote this piece.

You would get United fans saying exactly the same thing about Herrera today: wonderful on his day but inconsistent. I hope we aren't looking back in hindsight nine years later thinking 'how is it that we thought it was a good idea to sell him?'

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Pretty poor bit of evidence really that, even the author questions Alonsos contribution over the previous two seasons and criticises him for lack of consistency.

Wenger also apparently looked to sign Barry and only then turned to Alonso as a second choice. In typical fashion he managed to sign neither, instead stating he prefered Diaby, Denilson and Song to them both.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I dont see Herrera as a captain. He has the right attitude towards the game, fans, big respect for the club etc. But I dont see him as a leader

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
“The thing is that Michael Carrick ends his contract and I do not know what will happen with his future. Rooney, it’s unknown if he will continue or not.

“It (the talk about captaincy) has been a surprise. I am very grateful that people value me like this but I don’t think it is something that is going to happen soon. Being captain of Manchester United are big words. Look at the captains that this club have had. I am flattered and grateful but it is necessary to respect the time and the number of games.

“Furthermore, as at Madrid and Barcelona the captains are Spanish, it’s also logical that there is an English captain. I am grateful that people see me like that but I’d rather not think about it much.”

sugar_kane

“Furthermore, as at Madrid and Barcelona the captains are Spanish, it’s also logical that there is an English captain. I am grateful that people see me like that but I’d rather not think about it much.”

Off to Spain in the summer....

for a holiday

lsd

The Oracle
Strange thing for him to say as there doesn't seem to be an English player at Utd that you could say is captain material and would likely be at the club next season.

Unless off course we give it to Lingard which would go down well on here ..

Personally id give it to Pogba ..as much as I like Herrera still can't forget how he allowed Mark Noble to carry him off the pitch last season like he was a child ..

Scholsey2004

Now zlatan's leaving and rooney probably as well i cant think of a more suitable candidate. Silk and steel and seems to talk a lot.

Inter Yer Nan

Zlatan injured, Rooney leaving, Carrick, Smalling not regulars. Let's look at other candidates -

Dave - Seems unlikely
Valencia - Does he speak English?
No other defender would be a candidate
Pogba - One day, but right now? Long shot.
Mata - Possible, but also unlikely to regularly start games and get the feeling the next skipper will be a nailed down starter.
New signings - No. If Zlatan didn't get it no new signing will.

He's probably most likely.

KN5

Zlatan injured, Rooney leaving, Carrick, Smalling not regulars. Let's look at other candidates -

Dave - Seems unlikely
Mata - Possible, but also unlikely to regularly start games and get the feeling the next skipper will be a nailed down starter.

I agree with this ontop of the fact that Herrera's game is built around passion, love for the club and the game. When LVG wasn't playing him and shouting at him for scoring goals, he didn't turn away, he came out in interviews and said he will fight for his place. Apart from the old guards I don't see anyone in this team that loves United more than Ander.

flappyjay

I dont see Herrera as a captain. He has the right attitude towards the game, fans, big respect for the club etc. But I dont see him as a leader
Wasn't he the one who got lifted off the field by noble and the forum pretty much agreed that it showed that we were soft?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

Dave - Seems unlikely

The only issue i can see with Herrera getting the captaincy is is he going to be a regular next season? I would be utterly shocked if we went through the summer and didnt sign a defensive midfielder, and as weve seen this season Mourinho prefers a two man midfield, one of which is going to be Pogba(whether you think that is deserving or not) which leaves Herrera to battle it out with whoever we sign.

dannofdawn

The only issue i can see with Herrera getting the captaincy is is he going to be a regular next season? I would be utterly shocked if we went through the summer and didnt sign a defensive midfielder, and as weve seen this season Mourinho prefers a two man midfield, one of which is going to be Pogba(whether you think that is deserving or not) which leaves Herrera to battle it out with whoever we sign.
I don't think Jose necessary prefers a 2 man midfield. It could very well be possible that he often chooses that formation because we have too many attackers. If all fit, we have 7 players for 4 positions. That's maybe 1-2 too many, which is still acceptable. In our central midfield, we have 4 for 2 positions, playing 3 would be cutting it a bit too close. Should Jose plays a 3 man midfield, that's 4 players for 3 positions, 7 players for 3 up front. From a long term perspective, we simply can't afford to play a 3 man midfield too often.

Now if we don't offload a few attackers this summer, then I don't see Jose playing a 3 man mid next season, and you'll be right that Herrera might need to compete with whoever replaces Carrick or Fellaini. But if we do offload Rooney, and Zlatan still be injured, if not released, that's only 5 players for 3-4 positions. And if we do add a new attacker, that's 6 for 3-4. Either is fine, meaning a 3 man midfield as a regular formation is not out of the question when concerning rotation.

Reactions: Sultan

podurban2

As much as I love Herrera, there is no guarantee he should/will play every game. Pogba on the other hand, will play every game he is available. Makes more sense to have him as captain imo.

Bebe

Pogba would make some sense as captain, given he's already an on-pitch leader and has a big personality/strong mentality to boot. However, he also carries a lot of pressure already and I'm not sure adding extra responsibility will help. Furthermore, Pogba's personality at this stage isn't likely to translate well as captain, especially when dealing with referees. He's young, hot blooded, and emotional. These things will change over time of course, but right now it's not absurd to suggest he doesn't have the maturity you'd want in a captain. I'm sure he will be United captain some day, but imo there are enough reasons to keep that for the future.

Herrera is also an on-pitch leader with a strong mentality. Never see the man's head drop. He's a more measured personality than Pogba, which I think at this stage is to his advantage. Herrera is hot blooded as well certainly, but I think he'd have an easier time figuring out when to be passionate/angry and when to keep a cool head than Pogba. Finally, Herrera has basically already proven himself on multiple occasions this season to be our "heart and soul" type player ala Keano.

Assessing the two candidates (I don't think any others really stand out at this point), I'd say both would work but there are significant question marks around Pogba as captain that don't exist with Herrera. I'd go with Ander for now, and let Pogba concentrate on his football.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Herrera plays like a captain on the pitch, he's always talking and telling people where to stand if they are sleeping. Although he might not technically have the band, he's just as important.

klayton88

I really don't see the fuss about a captain. When I think off a captain I think of Roy Keane and I've seen nobody since who teammates equally fear and respect and would make them pull their fingers out if they wern't doing a job.

What exactly is expepected of a captain on the pitch? Is it more about post match interviews because if that's the case I couldn't give a toss.

therambler

An interesting point was made on the ITV highlights about on-the-field leadership. If anyone can find the clip, its worth a look imo. For the corner that lead to the 2nd goal, Mkhitaryan initially begins to walk back towards the half way line. Herrera calls him over and seems to instruct him to get into the box while he himself hangs back. Maybe it was just a lapse in concentration from Mkhi and he was supposed to in the box anyways but I thought it showed some good in game awareness from Herrera to take the initiative there. Captain material stuff.

Or possibly I'm just reading into it too much.

Klopp_De_Klown

Impresses more and more every time we here him. Though it was telling that he was the one we heard from in the presser after.

However i did not see it all so maybe others where there too.

lem8sh

Gonna be shot down and torn to shreds here but I don't any player that does something like this as our captain, the one side of his game I despise.

AXVnee7

He needs to cut out the dirty side of his game, it's pathetic. Otherwise he is perfect to represent our club as captain.

Manny

Grammar Police
Impresses more and more every time we here him. Though it was telling that he was the one we heard from in the presser after.

However i did not see it all so maybe others where there too.
He was there to pick up the MotM award.

Nori-

Top player, can influence games but isn't captain material for me.

He is constantly involved in handbags with other players and has a slightly childish character. It doesn't scream out a natural leader. We need someone will drag a player up off the floor and tell them to get on with it, someone who all the other players look up to and isn't afraid to say things how they are.

The closest thing we have to that currently is Zlatan but obviously that wouldn't make sense as it doesn't look like he will be back anytime soon.

Carolina Red

Staff
Real question... what exactly is it that folks mean by "dirty" part of Ander's game in reference to him being/not being captain?

TsuWave

Top player, can influence games but isn't captain material for me.

He is constantly involved in handbags with other players and has a slightly childish character. It doesn't scream out a natural leader. We need someone will drag a player up off the floor and tell them to get on with it, someone who all the other players look up to and isn't afraid to say things how they are.

The closest thing we have to that currently is Zlatan but obviously that wouldn't make sense as it doesn't look like he will be back anytime soon.
lol zlatan gets involved in feckery with other players all the time and is quite childish himself, plus has a nasty streak to him

FrantikChicken

Real question... what exactly is it that folks mean by "dirty" part of Ander's game in reference to him being/not being captain?
Herrera is a total twat. Literally every game he either play acts, or blatantly fouls and then starts yelling at the referee even though everyone and their grandma knows exactly what he's done.

Smashing player though...I've no opinion on whether he should be captain or not

Carolina Red

Staff
Herrera is a total twat. Literally every game he either play acts, or blatantly fouls and then starts yelling at the referee even though everyone and their grandma knows exactly what he's done.
I guess that just isn't what I'd define as "dirty". When I think "dirty", I think of hurting people.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Seems like a player who gets the club. Same with Mata and Valencia. Out of the three, I'd say give it to Valencia but he doesn't speak English and would probably resent the media obligations. Herrera is the logical choice as there's no guarantees Mata will play.

Pogba too, but seniority should count for something.

Ibi Dreams

I've never really thought of him as someone who play acts. Didn't see what happened tonight properly so maybe he did then. What I normally see is someone fouling him and him having a big moan about it, which is okay in my book. He draws a lot of fouls because he pisses off players by being a niggly little bastard, which I have no problem with at all.

Carolina Red

Staff
Keane was nothing like Herrera, you would never see him acting like Herrera does with regards to the play acting etc..
Different definitions of "dirty", I guess.

I doubt you'd ever see Herrera do this...

Ps: I've no problem with Keane having been United captain. I've also no problem with calling a spade a spade in regards to dirty play.