Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

Hope to see the back of him, you cant take justice in him being the best available midfielder beyond Pogba when only Pogba represents the level of midfielder needed at this club.

Herrera came from Bilbao, whenever has he shown the quality / caliber in his career to successfully win the league ? Mctomminay can be his long term successor, we need (and have needed) to replace Herrera irrespective if he's here or not next season.

The midfield is as big a problem as the defence.
You heard about the thing called the squad?
Also heavinly underratind Ander and McT is not the same type of a player.

beingshe7don

They might be average but squad players are just as important as your big names. Also, you need the right mentalities and personalities, if these guys keep their heads down, work hard and are a positive influence around the place it's an easy decision to make.
The problem lies in the fact that they are actual starters for our club. They should be playing the odd game when we are hit injuries or fatigue.

beingshe7don

You still probably have to replace those three players, however, so you might still get close to those wages and more than likely have to pay transfer fees.

More importantly, rather than having to sign 3 or 4 players in the summer you could be looking at 7 or 8. That’s a lot more work.
They shouldn't be playing for us. I would rather give Tuanzebe a chance at CB and Laird at RB.

scholesyboy18

Good riddance, can't wait for him to go.
I definitely think he gave his all on the pitch and was totally misused by Moyes/Van Gaal/Jose. Not every player is a closet united fan to stay with a lower contract when someone else is ready to pay more.

Ekeke

Are they on 200k though? We aren't letting him go, he's choosing to leave. We offered a generous contract. If Jones and Smalling rejected I'm sure they'd also be out the door
According to what? We don't really know what he was offered and what he wanted do we? We know some rumours.

Ekeke

Hope to see the back of him, you cant take justice in him being the best available midfielder beyond Pogba when only Pogba represents the level of midfielder needed at this club.

Herrera came from Bilbao, whenever has he shown the quality / caliber in his career to successfully win the league ? Mctomminay can be his long term successor, we need (and have needed) to replace Herrera irrespective if he's here or not next season.

The midfield is as big a problem as the defence.
It is, but he's not the weakest part of it. And performance wise 2/3 of our midfield have been within our top performers this season.

So the obvious solution is start with the one guy who has been average at best this season, and for many months simply not good enough - Matic. Once we sort that part out then its on to the next weakest, Ander.

Thats assuming he stays of course.

The reality is it'll be far easier for Matic's replacement to settle in with Ander doing a lot of the dirty work so Pogba can play well. If we bring in 2 CMs at the same time, or even if we rely too much on Fred and McTominay then the issue becomes a lot harder to get our midfield working better.

Because the new player wouldnt just have to come in and replace Matic. They'd also have to have the combativeness, legs and selflessness of Ander's role where he is making both Matic and Pogba look better than they look without him - even though he may not shine and look "class" himself.

So if we just sign a DM to replace Matic but we're also losing Ander, that DM will have to go like 60% of the way to replacing the work both Matic and Ander do in front of the defense and in terms of covering Pogba's deficiencies. And thats not an easy ask for a new player coming in.

Fred and McTominay may be able to do the last 40% assuming they improve on this season which also isnt guaranteed.

Matic :

Gets on the ball a lot, sets the tempo a bit, lots of passes, some power, a few tackles and interceptions, decent in the air, quite composed on the ball and doesnt rush

Ander :

Keeps the ball moving, a huge amount of ball winning, a couple of runs forward to support play and might get an occasional goal, lots of energy and running

Combine that workload into 1 player and thats what kind of DM we need.

Fred can do about 75% of Ander's ball winning and maybe getting on the ball a lot, passing and tempo setting of Matic. McTominay can do the ball moving like Ander, power and a few tackles + interceptions, and solid in the air like Matic. So they can cover some of those areas but importantly, thats 2 players and you'd have to pick between them so you wont have those qualities at the same time.

So just to cover what we can currently do (which you're saying needs improvement) we need to find a DM who can play next to Fred and :

Is powerful, solid in the air, quite combative and proactive with ball winning covering Matic's bit of ball winning + Ander's last 15%, Ander's forward runs to support play and possibly some goals (depending on if Fred is going to do that part) and has some composure on the ball.

Sounds a bit like Keane. So not asking for much there... :lol:

Thats to play next to Fred and Pogba and be as good as our midfield is now.

To play next to McTominay and Pogba the DM would need :

Lots of ball winning, almost Ander level. Has to get on the ball a lot and set the tempo of play and has some composure on the ball. Lots of energy.

Sounds like a more energetic and much more combative version of Xabi Alonso. Doesnt sound like an easy find either.

So thats just to keep the status quo of our current midfield. If we want to improve on it, we need to cover all those bases while finding extra strengths as a cherry on top.

Otherwise we will be weaker in some ways than we currently are in midfield and perhaps better in others. But we wont overall be better. And that will effect other parts of the team. For example if gain some more ability going forward it might help the attack, but the defense will look weaker and so overall we're not better just different.

Last edited:

manutddjw

Anyone else thinking this is just revenge because we took the ugly, small dick, rich guys (PSG) girlfriend (Champions League)?

scholesyboy18

Anyone else thinking this is just revenge because we took the ugly, small dick, rich guys (PSG) girlfriend (Champions League)?
Highly unlikely, having seen Ander's behavior, he is very much rational and will not fall for it. He choose what is best for him at this stage of his career.

ErranMorad

150k isn't much considering we have Sanchez whose done nothing apart from playing the piano and he gets paid 500k or so.... Herrera actually puts in match winning performances more consistently for us. Once again... Sanchez was 30 years of age when he was offered 500k....
There is a little difference: Sanchez was a world class performer, a one in two forward, when we bought him. His reputation was still intact at the time. Any player of his caliber (I mean we all thought we were getting a top top player) available on a pittance would have commanded a higher salary because of the sign-ons & other bonuses. We still overpaid, but it was understandable. No one would complain much about his salary if he performed for us at the level he did at Arsenal.

Also, if anything, Sanchez's signing should act as a warning to us that signing players of that age on a huge salary & a long term contract comes with all sorts of dangers. The risk simply isn't worth it unless it's an exceptional player of Ronaldo's quality and fitness.

I know the simpletons on this form like stupid jokes like "He is 29, Oh that means he almost 35", but the truth is a lot of players have a significant dip once they are close to the 30 year mark. Giving them a 4 or 5 year contract simply isn't worth the risk. Rooney, Sanchez, Ibra, Nani, Van Persie - we gave them all big contacts or stupid extensions and had to take significant hits on all of them.

Last edited:

The Nani

And yet we gave contract extensions to Jones, Smalling and Young.
You know why. Where do you think our loyal servant, warrior and fearless club captain was while that photo of Ander was being taken? He was training, obviously. While Ander was just sitting there on his arse. Young lives football and breathes fire. Leader, legend. Every second of every day. These continental types will never understand that. Good riddance.

Last edited:

Patrick08

I think he'll end up renewing. All this PSG tall sounds like posturing. There'll be a load of folk on here backtracking if he does.
I feel the same. United ain't going to lose a player like Herrera for free.

RD94

There is no logic in giving Herrera a 170k wage or anything around that figure for a future squad player.He is 30 and obviously not good enough and young enough to be first team choice for our future.We need start rebuilding our team from this season once again because most of the players we bought from last 5 seasons are not worthy of wearing this shirt and our results suggest that.We need to see and say thruthfully that there are so many overrated players who would not get near first team for any top team around and some here accept that mediocrity.And dont tell me we gave Young new contract,we gave him same amount of wage he was on for one year contract(he will be gone next year).If we give him new big money contract and keep him as a starter we are blocking any progress we need to get our team on the top of the league where we belong.I wish him gone along Mata,and I know that there are few positions who are more urgent than his to upgrade or replace but we should not accept those crazy amounts for a player who is good but who is also limited in many departments.Not a United quality.But I think that he will probably stay with Mata also because no one top team wants them and all those stories are probably made up but hope I am wrong.

Bestietom

He's not gone yet but if he does it is down to Woodward letting his contract run down. Going on a free now means we could lose out on 25/30million for him.

zizi

Nobody seems to have considered, what if its simply a case of waiting to see if we make top 4? Its entirely fair enough and plausible that its not the money that's the hold up, but that he wants to play champions league.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He's not gone yet but if he does it is down to Woodward letting his contract run down. Going on a free now means we could lose out on 25/30million for him.
Do we know when he was offered an extension?

Champagne Football

Seems to mirror Fellaini last summer. The player thought they could double their salary due to no transfer fee... Only to realize after that wages to remain a squad player at Utd were still far higher than what anyone else was offering to be in their first team

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
According to Le Parisien Herrera is an option in midfield for PSG but not the priority.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Nobody seems to have considered, what if its simply a case of waiting to see if we make top 4? Its entirely fair enough and plausible that its not the money that's the hold up, but that he wants to play champions league.
This reasoning always gets me angry. Waiting to see if we make top four? The players are responsible for top four. Sometimes it's like they're disconnected and top four depends on everyone else except them. Not saying Ander is thinking this, but I think we should stop making that excuse for players. They want top four, then they should earn their money and make sure of top four. Inconsistent performances are on them alone.

Jazz

Seems to mirror Fellaini last summer. The player thought they could double their salary due to no transfer fee... Only to realize after that wages to remain a squad player at Utd were still far higher than what anyone else was offering to be in their first team
Sounds to me like PSG just decide to do a bit of mischief making. If it turns out they weren't that serious about him, then Ander will look quite foolish.

Cliche Guevara

This reasoning always gets me angry. Waiting to see if we make top four? The players are responsible for top four. Sometimes it's like they're disconnected and top four depends on everyone else except them. Not saying Ander is thinking this, but I think we should stop making that excuse for players. They want top four, then they should earn their money and make sure of top four. Inconsistent performances are on them alone.
This is a very good point in general.

The narrative seems to sometimes be for one player to play well everyone else has to, and the manager also has indulge everyone.

It would be nice if all the players could just get on with it and put in a shift and play to their capabilities.

Jazz

This is a very good point in general.

The narrative seems to sometimes be for one player to play well everyone else has to, and the manager also has indulge everyone.

It would be nice if all the players could just get on with it and put in a shift and play to their capabilities.
Honestly it pisses me off so much. Why can't they put a fecking shift in for the undeserved cash they are being paid? If I were that inconsistent at my job, my ass would be out and I'm being paid pittance.

We would be better off just getting rid of anyone who wants to leave or hold us to ransom. I find it distasteful but can understand Messi and Ronaldo holding a club to ransom. And even then, they still put in proper performances on the pitch. Lukaku having his agent mouth off when the boy spurned those chances against Arsenal and Wolves - does he not think that he has no responsibility? The club pays him a fortune to score goals and then he misses and has the temerity to spout nonsense through his agent.

De Gea - if he's distracted kindly go on the bench and let someone else have a go. Him being distracted cost us points at a crucial point of the season.

Pogba - if he wants to be with Zidane, fine. Let Madrid cough up a proper amount of money. If they don't want to, tell him to sit his ass down and get ready for next season. Remind him if he's not playing consistently well, Madrid nor Barca will look at him again. Up to him.

Sanchez - just tell him he's never playing for us again. Up to him. Does he want to finish his career like that?

Anyone else they can go.

We need the right players who are hungry and has the right mentality. We don't need superstars and all that stuff. We just need commitment and no shit from their agents.

The club needs to stop being afraid of losing certain players. Just hit the reset button and focus on getting the right characters.

ants7

This situation would be a lot easier to stomach if Young and Jones would not have been offered a new contract. Maybe on a good day I can get on board with Jones if he's considered as a backup but Young..Herrera is one of the last players who we should be allowing to walk out of the door for nothing.

Water Melon

Honestly it pisses me off so much. Why can't they put a fecking shift in for the undeserved cash they are being paid? If I were that inconsistent at my job, my ass would be out and I'm being paid pittance.

We would be better off just getting rid of anyone who wants to leave or hold us to ransom. I find it distasteful but can understand Messi and Ronaldo holding a club to ransom. And even then, they still put in proper performances on the pitch. Lukaku having his agent mouth off when the boy spurned those chances against Arsenal and Wolves - does he not think that he has no responsibility? The club pays him a fortune to score goals and then he misses and has the temerity to spout nonsense through his agent.

De Gea - if he's distracted kindly go on the bench and let someone else have a go. Him being distracted cost us points at a crucial point of the season.

Pogba - if he wants to be with Zidane, fine. Let Madrid cough up a proper amount of money. If they don't want to, tell him to sit his ass down and get ready for next season. Remind him if he's not playing consistently well, Madrid nor Barca will look at him again. Up to him.

Sanchez - just tell him he's never playing for us again. Up to him. Does he want to finish his career like that?

Anyone else they can go.

We need the right players who are hungry and has the right mentality. We don't need superstars and all that stuff. We just need commitment and no shit from their agents.

The club needs to stop being afraid of losing certain players. Just hit the reset button and focus on getting the right characters.
This is correct but utopic. In the modern days of players and agents things, unfortunately, do not work like that. Moreover, we can not afford losing some players without having their replacements, and then again these replacements need to be very good both quality- as well as professionalism-wise. Gone are the days that most players would crave to play for Manchester United under SAF.

Jazz

This situation would be a lot easier to stomach if Young and Jones would not have been offered a new contract. Maybe on a good day I can get on board with Jones if he's considered as a backup but Young..Herrera is one of the last players who we should be allowing to walk out of the door for nothing.
I think Young has a one year extension. Jones probably makes up the homegrown quota.
Don't know if true, but from what I've read in several places, the club has been negotiating with Ander for around 18 months. If he's resistant, what can anyone do about it?

Jazz

This is correct but utopic. In the modern days of players and agents things, unfortunately, do not work like that. Moreover, we can not afford losing some players without having their replacements, and then again these replacements need to be very good both quality- as well as professionalism-wise. Gone are the days that most players would crave to play for Manchester United under SAF.
Then quietly look for their replacements. We're not going anywhere with the ones we currently have for whatever reason, why waste more time? The mentality needs to change. We have to start somewhere. We won't get everything done in the summer but at least start putting things into place imho.

beingshe7don

There is a little difference: Sanchez was a world class performer, a one in two forward, when we bought him. His reputation was still intact at the time. Any player of his caliber (I mean we all thought we were getting a top top player) available on a pittance would have commanded a higher salary because of the sign-ons & other bonuses. We still overpaid, but it was understandable. No one would complain much about his salary if he performed for us at the level he did at Arsenal.

Also, if anything, Sanchez's signing should act as a warning to us that signing players of that age on a huge salary & a long term contract comes with all sorts of dangers. The risk simply isn't worth it unless it's an exceptional player of Ronaldo's quality and fitness.

I know the simpletons on this form like stupid jokes like "He is 29, Oh that means he almost 35", but the truth is a lot of players have a significant dip once they are close to the 30 year mark. Giving them a 4 or 5 year contract simply isn't worth the risk. Rooney, Sanchez, Ibra, Nani, Van Persie - we gave them all big contacts or stupid extensions and had to take significant hits on all of them.
Actually, the season when we bought Sanchez, he was having his worst season for Arsenal. We needed a right winger and Mahrez was available in the market. Basically, we didn't want City to have him. Mourinho has done this many a times with Chelsea when he's bought players to prevent the competition from signing them..aka Willian and Salah.

ants7

I think Young has a one year extension. Jones probably makes up the homegrown quota.
Don't know if true, but from what I've read in several places, the club has been negotiating with Ander for around 18 months. If he's resistant, what can anyone do about it?
Yeah that's fair enough I guess. However, worrying thing for me is - if the reported number (200k per week) is too much for Ed, who can he bring in as a replacement who is willing to play for the lesser amount. Specially when you consider the fans who are saying (we need an upgrade). No way "an upgrade" is willing to play for less than that. Ed is in for a one hell of a summer, that's for sure.

Jazz

Yeah that's fair enough I guess. However, worrying thing for me is - if the reported number (200k per week) is too much for Ed, who can he bring in as a replacement who is willing to play for the lesser amount. Specially when you consider the fans who are saying (we need an upgrade). No way "an upgrade" is willing to play for less than that. Ed is in for a one hell of a summer, that's for sure.
I'm sure there's someone out there. We don't need a superstar who will demand huge wages, we just need a player who fits.

Personally Ander isn't worth that money. He's been here a while and hasn't proved to be worth those wages, so you have to understand where the club is coming from as well. Let's not mention Sanchez who deserves less than a fiver a week, but irrespective of him, we need to stop with the big wages unless the player does something to deserve it.

Owen06

It's way more than just playing and giving your all for the course sometimes because your all might not be enough.

There's the teammate and tactics factor that's also involved, a player might give his all and perform to the best of his abilities but the coach's tactics might not always be spot-on which will lead to disappointing results.

it's why a player leaves one team for another team with top quality coaches right in the same league in other to win trophies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hughie77

It's at a time when players start looking what's next at the age he is, can't see UTD giving him what he wants, so iether he goes or stays on Utds terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.