Ander Herrera to PSG? | Gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatattack

FFS. I hope it's BS and he stays. He's a very good player for our team and since Ole has come in has shown his attacking ability too.

Personally i hope we get in someone to replace him, but i'd still want him in our squad as a DM or cover for the CM role.

Ander's best mates at OT this summer all have the potential of leaving.
Mata,DDG,Rojo,Sanchez maybe this could play some part in Ander's decision to look elsewhere ?

Last edited:

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
This is monumentally poor management.

Trying to save money on not negotiating contracts earlier and now in a position that is crap either way. We lose a player who is worth maybe £40m+ as a 30 year old, or we offer a 4 year deal to match PSG and inevitably end up with a dead wood player for at least one of those years.

Herrera is all action, but limited on quality, thus his value as a player will diminish rapidly as he ages. If he stays fit he could be good till 35 and thus no problem, but there is a fair chance we'll want an upgrade or replacement a couple of years from now.

If we had got his contract sorted in the summer a 2+1 might have done it and would have been ideal for us.

R'hllor

Good luck to him. Sometimes we are similar to Arsenal in these contract extensions, maybe its owners mentality.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He turns 30 in August. £60m is a bit excessive!
Alright then 45m or so!
If he was a couple of years younger then 60m. Regardless that's still the caliber of player we need to replace him with this summer just to maintain where we're at if we lose him on a free, that's what my point was. We have enough gaps in the squad to address without losing a quality midfielder for nothing.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Yep. Should be fun trying to get rid of him. Unless he takes a big wage cut can't see who would want him.
I think you could get someone to pay £200k a week, so we would need to pay off c£20m worth of contract. I'm not sure anyone would pay £200k plus a transfer fee so would literally be a pay off and would probably be worth it to save the £200k.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Alright then 45m or so!
If he was a couple of years younger then 60m. Regardless that's still the caliber of player we need to replace him with this summer just to maintain where we're at if we lose him on a free, that's what my point was. We have enough gaps in the squad to address without losing a quality midfielder for nothing.
It will be 60m. Yes Ander is nearly 30, but we wouldn't be replacing him with someone who is nearly 30. If we are, then we might as well keep Ander and spend the money where it is actually needed.

Ander herrera the warrior

He deserves a better man utd career. Has been difficult with different managers who keep changing his positions. Of course his own injuries and the time he takes to get back into form also played a part.

But I just get the feeling that he hasn't reach his peak yet. Is there any player before this who reach their peak performance after 30 years old?

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Alright then 45m or so!
To be fair it was semantics! You are right of course, it's another headache we don't need.

I'm very worried about United doing what we need to do to keep the football interesting.

Fighting for top 4 again, rather than pushing for trophies is quite depressing.

There is only so much Ole can do and there is way too much outwards momentum being discussed in the way of De Gea, Pogba and Herrera.

Each player out adds to an already challenging summer. We need 3 or 4 top class additions. Increasing that to 5 or 6 starts to become unrealistic, especially for Woody who negotiates slower than Brexit!

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
It doesn't say much for our management etc when we risk losing Herrera and DDG .

Lam

Peak Herrera under SAF would have been at peak Keane level (or slightly lower). Fergie used love such players.

Hope he extends but won’t have any negative sentiments if he leaves. One player who gives everything almost 99% of the time. His quality might be questioned but he was always giving his best.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Why are people believing this so easily? I would if Jose is still the manager.

Red Star One

Well PSG got Neymar the summer after Barcelona’s remontada, so I guess they’d like to repeat it with De Gea and Herrera.

iHicksy

Peak Herrera under SAF would have been at peak Keane level (or slightly lower). Fergie used love such players.
Have a word with yourself. I love Ander, but seriously. Get a grip.

JohnnyKills

It's annoying, for sure.

We can replace Herrera, but we'll have to pay 50 million to replace him and this was a signing we probably weren't planning for. It will certainly drain money from the budget.

As others have said, it is strange we've let the negotiations reach this stage. Maybe Herrera just didn't want to re-sign?

JohnnyKills

Also, for those criticizing Woodward... it does seem like we're hiring a DoF for precisely this kind of thing.

hungrywing

Ander's best mates at OT this summer all have the potential of leaving.
Mata,DDG,Rojo,Sanchez maybe this could play some part in Ander's decision to look elsewhere ?
What?! The ultra-professional Mata-DDG-Herrera clique getting the cold shoulder vs the Woodward My-Ultra-Biggest-Signing-Me-Big-Big-Man-(look-see-Pogba-me-luv) dynamic at play?

Naw.

If the negotiations are true, then best-case scenario this is an extension of locker-room dynamics. Worst case scenario it also includes the Woodward ineptitude that many have pointed out.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
But of course, there are no issues with not having a DoF yet. Woodward is fully qualified to determine who should and should not get extensions.

AgentP

If we can match whatever contract that PSG is offering him, then I'm sure we'll be able to keep him. Atleast that's what I expect from Herrera as he obviously loves United. Would be shocked if he left despite us offering him a contract.

Coops73

Also, for those criticizing Woodward... it does seem like we're hiring a DoF for precisely this kind of thing.
Yeah, it’s “seemed” like we’re hiring a DOF for quite some time now. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Judas

Open to offers
Are we hiring one though? Doesn't seem like it to me. It's been talked about for literally years and we're nowhere closer seemingly. I personally don't think we're getting one anytime soon, and hiring Ole has only made it more unlikely because Woody can carry on with his antics which are damaging us year after year.

el3mel

We will now end up with only 4 midfielders (Pogba, Matic, Scott and Fred) playing a trio midfielder system entering next season, and we still have the CB, RB and RW to cover.

All in a summer market that's going to last till 8 August so about 2 months.

Fun season is coming ahead.

Ban

Stuff about dof was just telling fans what they want to hear and it was conveniently when we sacked Jose.

Status
Not open for further replies.