Ander Herrera - When will he get a game?

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I love the way he has somebody as a 2nd forward yet we struggle to score.
Up till now, he's failed to find a way to open up narrow defenses, no one can deny that. Many people (not you specifically) believe that the problem is one player (Rooney) and/or that the solution is also one player (right now it's Herrera mainly because he's benched). I believe there are numerous reasons for our inability to open up tight defenses and that Herrera might be a part of the solution but he's not THE solution to our problems. Same thing last season, he was a part of the solution with Carrick being excellent in the holding role and Fellaini proving himself quite useful as a target man in the final third.

In my previous post i was trying to understand the logic behind LvG's choices, not necessarily justify them. There are many things i don't like in his approach and imo it would be much better if had just picked up where he left off last season with the reverse triangle in the midfield.

prath92

For me the reason he doesn't play Herrera is simple. Herrera is a #8 which is a box to box role than a pure attacking. And Ander has tendencies to defend than go full on attack. Morgan doesn't have ability to play a defence splitting pass like carrick or schweinsteiger does. Carrick or schweini has that ability but they don't have the ability to break up defence like Morgan. Meaning for Morgan its winning te ball and give it to Carrick. Because those two positions are relatively defensive he makes sure the balance 4 are fully attack oriented. Herrera in that 10 would make it more defensive surely? He does attack but he isn't an attacker. There is a difference. For instance when he came on in our games as a 10, we didn't attack at all. He added energy to the midfield but other than passing it around, we created very little

starman

Other than at Barca, Van Gaal has played with a two solids defensive midfielders and a AM. One pure defensive, one box to box and one no 10. At Barca, probably due to openness he played with one pure defensive and two CM.

In England due to the physically of the game, it seems his preferred formation has two defensive midfielders. In that system Herrera's best position (i would like to see him tried at no 10) is the box to box player, however Van Gaal doesn't seem to fancy him due to the physicality in England. At Bayern he had Schweinsteiger along side Van Bommel. Ajax, Seedof along side Davids.

On the basis of those players making up a midfield Van Gaal likes, i really can't see Herrera being a permanent first team player, unfortunately.

Shiva87

Yeah, but that really dull period at the end of the season really skews the Herrera starting stats. As a team, we were so poor against Everton, Chelsea and WBA that even if we didn't start him, we'd have lost. I also remember him playing DM against Chelsea because of all the injuries we had.
You must have seen a different game. I thought we deserved to win that game and were by no means poor - regardless of Herrera starting in CDM.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
In place of who, one the holding players or one of the more advanced attacking players?
He's going to play him as a #10 until it's proven beyond all doubt that he's better for us in a deeper position I reckon, so I'd expect him to play in an advanced position for the rest of this year.

ThanksBoss26

He's going to play him as a #10 until it's proven beyond all doubt that he's better for us in a deeper position I reckon, so I'd expect him to play in an advanced position for the rest of this year.
I'd quite like to see him play there tonight but think Fellaini might take that role with Herrera a bit further back.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'd quite like to see him play there tonight but think Fellaini might take that role with Herrera a bit further back.
True, we'll have to squeeze Fellaini in. It might be our first game with him starting as a #9 for us? That could push Hernández out the door though...maybe you're right. I hope so anyway. He injects so much pace into our team from that position and against a Brugge side intent on attacking, it could make for a great game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Perhaps we will play the way we did last year? 433 with fellaini and Herrera in cm with Carrick screening.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Well he forced himself back into the team last year with some fantastic performances and you can't fault his attitude. I'm sure he'll play well given a proper chance no matter where he's played.

SirAF

Ageist
You must have seen a different game. I thought we deserved to win that game and were by no means poor - regardless of Herrera starting in CDM.
Aye, United were bloody brilliant that match.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Off the ball movement, taking the ball on the half turn, playing at tempo, we've missed you.

LeftyBlaster

Off the ball movement, taking the ball on the half turn, playing at tempo, we've missed you.
We better not mess up our relationship with him. He's exactly what we need in midfield now. That midfield 3 that worked so well last season would work even better with Morgan and Bastian. Why the hell would LVG want to change things again?

Witchking

We better not mess up our relationship with him. He's exactly what we need in midfield now. That midfield 3 that worked so well last season would work even better with Morgan and Bastian. Why the hell would LVG want to change things again?
Because LVG is very pig headed when it comes to his process and philosophy. In my opinion, he thinks that Herrera doesn't follow his philosophy, goes for the jugular, loses the ball quite a few times by playing 50/50 through balls, doesn't maintain position and roams. This is what i want to see in an attacking midfielder and i feel he is killing Herrera's talent. If things don't change he will also have a tiff with LVG before quitting United.

LeftyBlaster

Because LVG is very pig headed when it comes to his process and philosophy. In my opinion, he thinks that Herrera doesn't follow his philosophy, goes for the jugular, loses the ball quite a few times by playing 50/50 through balls, doesn't maintain position and roams. This is what i want to see in an attacking midfielder and i feel he is killing Herrera's talent. If things don't change he will also have a tiff with LVG before quitting United.
That is exactly what I think is looming. LVG, imo, is being extremely moronic when it comes to killing creativity. Complains about our lack of creative power and then forces our attacking midfielder to follow strict instructions. It's so painful to watch.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hopefully as a central and midfielder and not as an advance number 10.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
considering how big of a hard on everyone has for him, he's got big expectations on him tonight. really hope he delivers!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Fingers crossed Ander has a good game. Needs to impress tonight. C'mon lad!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm sure we'll look a lot more creative, just hopefully we look solid defensively as well. If we do, then I think Van Gaal will give him more playing time as he really likes his defensive solidity

Smores

Bit odd to start him tonight when we're closing out a lead. Be good for him to get some minutes though

Shimo

Bit odd to start him tonight when we're closing out a lead. Be good for him to get some minutes though
Like someone said in the match day thread, seems like his competing with Schnederlin for a spot. Just hope LVG is not trying to change Herrera into something he is not. He'll need to probably need to put on a good performance both going forward and at the same time stay disciplined just to have a shout at another game.

Devil may care

Nice to see him get a start, interesting that it's in the midfield double pivot as opposed to as an AM.

Walters_19_MuFc

Get the feeling that, whatever he does tonight, he'll still be on the bench against Swansea. I mean, if you look at it, today he's playing defensive midfield, which obviously means Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger are getting rested for the game on the weekend. It also means he's not really considered as a number 10, as tonight was a perfect chance to try him out there. Having said all of that, a good game tonight won't do him any harm, or will it?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Get the feeling that, whatever he does tonight, he'll still be on the bench against Swansea. I mean, if you look at it, today he's playing defensive midfield, which obviously means Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger are getting rested for the game on the weekend. It also means he's not really considered as a number 10, as tonight was a perfect chance to try him out there. Having said all of that, a good game tonight won't do him any harm, or will it?
He will get alot of games this season, especially when we hopefully get in the UCL. He not first choice, but I can see him playing himself into contention and Carrick fading a little later in the season