g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Anderlecht vs Genk to replayed after VAR error

JuriM

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/s/m4cBvKlQs8

https://www.krcgenk.be/nl/nieuws/5438/anderlecht-krc-genk-wordt-herspeeld

The Disciplinary Council for Professional Football has decided that the Anderlecht - KRC Genk match from the end of last year must be replayed. The Disciplinary Council initially declared itself competent to rule on this case. This overturned the Professional Referee Department's earlier decision not to replay the match. The Council then followed KRC Genk's argument that the match management incorrectly applied the regulations in the penalty phase in question.

SAFMUTD

Is this true? cant find the news in any reliable site only that reddit post.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What was the error?
The incident occurred in the 23rd minute of the match when Genk forward Yira Sor followed up on teammate Bryan Heynan's missed penalty to finish beyond former Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, who had saved the initial spot-kick.

Replays showed that Sor was inside the penalty area as Heynan struck the ball, causing the VAR to recommend to referee Nathan Verboomen that the goal should be ruled out.

However, the replay also showed that two Anderlecht players had also encroached into the penalty area, which, according to the laws of the game, should have resulted in Genk's penalty being retaken, rather than the match officials' decision which was to award Anderlecht a free kick.

Teja

That is just so minor, do they really want to do this?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If that's the bar you'd be replaying a match every gameweek.

They're nutters for even considering it.

Oranges038

Bad move, sets a ridiculous low bar for further replays to be considered. Every poor decision could then be appealed for a replay.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Interesting. It's obviously a direct goal-scoring opportunity that was messed up, but then lots of situations get judged wrongly and could have been a goal otherwise; think of an offside call that was about to result in a good one-on-one (xG can help quantify which ones would have let to truly great opportunities), but is cancelled because the assistant ref erroneously put up the flag.

Also, shouldn't the match rather be replayed from that moment? I know it's fairly early (23rd minute), but still. I'd say it should restart in the 23rd minute with the Genk penalty kick.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
These days i dont celebrate a goal until VAR check is complete. Now i wont celebrate wins until season is over.
Then some tosser will come on and say 'oh no, I celebrate each goal twice'. Leaves me speechless.

edit: feck me duffer, you didn't even wait for me to finish typing. And I know you're joking, but there were people saying it that were serious.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Then some tosser will come on and say 'oh no, I celebrate each goal twice'. Leaves me speechless.

edit: feck me duffer, you didn't even wait for me to finish typing. And I know you're joking, but there were people saying it that were serious.
The entire arena did this at the Sens-Sharks game (NHL) I was at a few weeks ago. Was fun actually - but it helped that the goal was ruled in. :D

Eric_the_Red99

This sets an awful precedent. For me, nothing but a proven case of corruption should result in a match being replayed. Mistakes happen, deal with it.

Charlie Foley

It's a logical consequence of VAR. Either you want the 'correct' result or you don't.
Not really. We wanted the correct result before VAR too. And the same logic (retrospectively looking at a decision and saying the ref made the wrong one so let's replay the match) could have applied then.

arthurka

These days i dont celebrate a goal until VAR check is complete. Now i wont celebrate wins until season is over.
That isn't enough the season was over wasn't it? This was a game from last season right?

Edit Sorry last year...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It would be great. Pretty much every game being replayed and people will be bored of it. The quicker we get rid of VAR the better.
Actually, it might force football to figure things out properly re. VAR - or otherwise something would go into the rules around the ability to challenge referee decisions. No way they'd just let a situation be where every goal-involving decision can be challenged and lead to a rematch.