Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Thanks for clearing that up, after the Chelsea game i decided to hide in a dark corner well away from civalisation and the more importantly the Caf.

I get what your saying about "second season syndrome" but i dont think Anderson will be like Drogba, Essien, ect. They were highly established players before arriving in English football, they just needed to adjust to the pace. I think with Anderson its more about developing a mature footballing brain so he makes the right decisions in the right areas, this will take some time. Anderson is in the best place for his development. Very exciting having him on board, he will certainly be one of the best players in the world if he keeps working hard and follows suit of Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs, Scholes and Co.
Yeah, good point about established player vs youngsters.

Still think "second season syndrome" applies but probably to a much lesser extent, agreed.

Veron

Varun
I do think he has been played in a deeper central position due to the mass amount of injurys we have had in midfield this year. Hargreaves has Patella tedonitis, Carrick broke his elbow, Fletcher fractured his shin and tore his knee ligament, Scholes also had a tear in his knee ligament.. I believe all 4 of these players are ahead of him in the central midfield pecking order and if it wasnt for the injurys he would have been used more as a attacking midfielder, wingerb/b] or secondary striker. I guess next year we will see how he will be used and this will give indication towards which type of player QC and SAF will mould him into. I share the opinion you have, he needs to be played in a more advanced role so he can use his main strengths which are his pace, dribbling and direct play.

There was a time when most of our midfielders were fit and nani and park were out and he still didn't get the chance to establish himself there,i'm guessing saf doesn't see his future as a winger.

If we want to play him in his best position of an attacking mid we'll have to play a 5 man midfield cause everytime he's played in a 2 man cm he's just sat back providing cover.

Bape

I agree he should definatly be in a more advanced position, at Porto he had a slight arguement with the managment through the media because he wanted to play on the left with freedom instead of through the centre.

I do think he has been played in a deeper central position due to the mass amount of injurys we have had in midfield this year. Hargreaves has Patella tedonitis, Carrick broke his elbow, Fletcher fractured his shin and tore his knee ligament, Scholes also had a tear in his knee ligament.. I believe all 4 of these players are ahead of him in the central midfield pecking order and if it wasnt for the injurys he would have been used more as a attacking midfielder, winger or secondary striker. I guess next year we will see how he will be used and this will give indication towards which type of player QC and SAF will mould him into. I share the opinion you have, he needs to be played in a more advanced role so he can use his main strengths which are his pace, dribbling and direct play.
Really? Wasnt aware of that, any chance you got a link to that?

Just a little suprised that's all, he dosent seem like the type that would complain about being played out of position, certainly hasn't so far with us, plus he has said in an interview not long ago that he dosent mind where he's played. I agree with what you're saying, I just hope SAF plays him in a position where he can play to the best of his abilities.

Cupid Stunt

"In that, Anfield is unbeatable. Put a shit h
Really? Wasnt aware of that, any chance you got a link to that?
No, you'll have to take my word for it. A portuguese football expert said it on a interview with SSN just as he signed for us. I'm sure there is an article foating around the net somewhere but its most likely in Portuguese. Andersons behaviour has been to United standards as you would expect with SAF's well famed no tolerance management style, i think at Porto he was just frustrated at being a targeted man, he was often bullied by the midfield hard men in Portugal, maybe this is why he said he would rather play wide left. Ironically he had his leg broke by a right back..

INF-AMOS

The Anderson debate.

Just scrolled through the forum and i cannot see any recent and running posts on why he has not been in the team.

You see, what spurned me to open this debate is this ….. I was chatting last night with a couple of mates last night and one suggested that he thinks Fergie had put himself in an awkward position by stating that “Scholsey would definitely start if United got to the champions league final”.

He then went on to suggest that Fergie might have been a little worried that Anderson was starting to come back into his good early season form and that it is much easier to leave a kid out of the side than a seasoned professional.

Personally, i cannot remember if he was taken off at Stamford Bridge because he had a knock but I do think he was the best player in a red shirt on that woeful day and for the life of me I cannot understand why he hasn’t featured at all since.

Now although I thought the “Scholsey will start” statement was a ridiculous thing to come out by Fergie (And yes I know, he doesn’t often do that), I am relieved that the ginger fella is playing well and has justified his place in the starting line up… which is the way it should of been.

What thinks the caf ?

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
Scholes is our most talented and experienced midfielder, he was always gonna start. I thought this was common knowledge, even before Fergie said it.

Sam

Anderson has been poor, so he hasn't played. He had a knock against Chelsea, so he came off. While, Scholes has been playing well.

There is no great conspiracy. In fact, it's pretty simple stuff, really.

Man-United

I think Anderson is tired after a hard season. He only played about 10 games in total for Gremio, and 20 games for Porto so this is his first season at this level.
He will be back strong and fresh next season again. But I don't like that he will play in the olympics..

Vidicious

Flop
If I had to choose Scholes or Anderson for a Champions League Final the answer is Scholes, simply. He deserves it and I have no doubt he will have a blinder if he starts to make up for '99. Its a no brainer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Anderson's magnificent performances had made us forget the fact that he is still very young. At this stage you need experienced heads and that had played against the Brazilian who is still a bit raw in certain areas of his game (like taking his chances and score). Mind I wouldnt mind to see him playing as left winger with Scholes and Carrick in midfield and Ronaldo on the right flank. Stating that its risky to try to play a 19 yr old out of position in a CL final.

INF-AMOS

Ye... I totally agree fella's, but Scholsey didnt get his form back straight away. He looked slow and off the pace when he came back, as expected really.

I'm just releived his form has returned although he dosent surge into the box as much as he used to.

I am just suprised Anderson has not been given some pitch time before the final, his energy and legs could be needed later on against a powerfull and athletic Chelsea midfield and to throw the lad on he needs to have had a little more competative action than he has has recently.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Scholes and Carrick NEED to start in the Final.

I would pick Hargreaves over Anderson in this type of match too. However, it would be nice to see Anderson come on in the last 10 minutes or so, if we're winning comfortably.

INF-AMOS

I would pick Hargreaves over Anderson in this type of match too. However, it would be nice to see Anderson come on in the last 10 minutes or so, if we're winning comfortably.
Agree with that although he might be needed if we were winning 1-0 and say Scholsey had busted a gut and was tireing towards the end.

We wont just be playing pretty circles around Chelsea like we do most of our opposition, we are going to have to fight and keep fighting like never before.

Godfather

Anderson's magnificent performances had made us forget the fact that he is still very young. At this stage you need experienced heads and that had played against the Brazilian who is still a bit raw in certain areas of his game (like taking his chances and score). Mind I wouldnt mind to see him playing as left winger with Scholes and Carrick in midfield and Ronaldo on the right flank. Stating that its risky to try to play a 19 yr old out of position in a CL final.
I agree with that.

I wouldnt mind a 3 man midfield with him carrick and scholesey playing neither.

TBH i wouldnt mind any line up with him in it.
Still I have to admit, that all the other would also deserve to start against Chelscum.

Park would deserve it. Hargreaves as well. Carrick of course, but also Giggs.
Also Nani could be of major importance against chelsea.

I'm glad it's not me deciding who to play and whom not.

Drifter

American
Don't know what some expect of Anderson.He as far exceeded of what we expected of him in his first season.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Don't know what some expect of Anderson.He as far exceeded of what we expected of him in his first season.
Agree, Anderson has exceeded expectations and is probably tired. I also think it's Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves as best midfield, with Ron, Roon, Tevez upfront. I hate to say it but I don't want Giggs in the starting line up, if we go 4-4-2 I'd rather have Park on the left wing for his energy.

Went slightly off topic there;)

Donkey's Ears

Anderson has one thing which Carrick, Hargreaves and Scholes don't: real mobility and pace. Against Liverpool for example in the league we really benefitted from his energy around the park and ability to break forward. I think our best displays this season have been with him on the pitch offsetting Carrick's slight lack of pace and dynamism.

I'm not saying he should start but I'd like him on the bench.

nickm

You play your most experienced players at the business end of the season, not first season rookies. No reflection on Anderson's abilities, just the need to have level heads when you most need results.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

Pretty much my view aswell.
He has been quite impressive as an impact sub of late.

kanchelskis14

Anderson has been poor, so he hasn't played. He had a knock against Chelsea, so he came off. While, Scholes has been playing well.

There is no great conspiracy. In fact, it's pretty simple stuff, really.
Anderson had a spell when he dropped his form, but surely the fact that he played well in his last outing, against none other than Chelsea, should surely mean that he wouldn't be left out of the team, or even from the bench as a result of 'poor form'. He played well in his last game!

I've been a little suprised he hasn't at least got a few minutes from the bench in recent weeks, perhaps a reason for it. All subs get used eventually, except keepers perhaps, and sometimes defenders, but to not get off the bench for about 5 games is a bit uncommon under normal circumstances. Subs usually get used, even if just to freshen things up.

LizardKing

First Team Regular
I'm the crawling king snake and I rule my den.
He has so much potential and we've seen glimpses of what's to come. He's one of those players who excites everybody when they see his name on the teamsheet.

Hehe has anyone seen the youtube video of him entitled "The Disaster" made by some guy who thinks he's our worst signing for 50 years? :lol:

He has so much potential and we've seen glimpses of what's to come. He's one of those players who excites everybody when they see his name on the teamsheet.

Hehe has anyone seen the youtube video of him entitled "The Disaster" made by some guy who thinks he's our worst signing for 50 years? :lol:
Ive just seen it. Its totally pathetic. The guy is nothing but a deluded fool because he believes both Anderson and Nani are flops. :houllier:

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I think Anderson is tired after a hard season. He only played about 10 games in total for Gremio, and 20 games for Porto so this is his first season at this level.
He will be back strong and fresh next season again. But I don't like that he will play in the olympics..
This is probably the reason. This season has been by far the most strenuous of his career and it's no wonder he's tailed off a bit towards the end of the season.

Count Duckula

Whilst that video is ridiculous, I do feel there is far too much of a wankfest over Anderson this season.

There's no doubt he has potential, but he's actually contributed very, very little so far. He doesn't last ninety minutes and his form in the second half of the season (and the opening of the first) was very poor.

He will turn into a good player, I have no doubt, but the way some people on this forum rave you'd think he was our most important player.

Fergies Formula

Whilst that video is ridiculous, I do feel there is far too much of a wankfest over Anderson this season.

There's no doubt he has potential, but he's actually contributed very, very little so far. He doesn't last ninety minutes and his form in the second half of the season (and the opening of the first) was very poor.

He will turn into a good player, I have no doubt, but the way some people on this forum rave you'd think he was our most important player.
Thats wrong, when scholes and carrick was out of the team earlier in the season he kept our team ticking from the midfield which was a great contribution, in fact after he came on against wigan we scored 4 and it gave us a good goal-scoring verve which we carried through the rest of the season. Id say he made a very good contribution. And people can rightly get excited by a 19 yr old brazilian who plays the way he does.

REd FUn DevIl

We are not saying Scholes shouldn't be starting in the final. The thing is Anderson hasn't been playing at all, not even 5 mins since the Chelsea game.

That's pretty bad if you consider the lad is fantastic in creating chances and assists.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Anderson had a spell when he dropped his form, but surely the fact that he played well in his last outing, against none other than Chelsea, should surely mean that he wouldn't be left out of the team, or even from the bench as a result of 'poor form'. He played well in his last game!
Actually, his 'played well in his last game' argument isn't completely true. Anderson was actually quite poor in the first half. It was only for the 15-20 minutes of the second half that he was quite good, where he really did drive us onto the front foot and helped us take control of the match somewhat. Then he got inured and came off.

I was really hoping that he would be starting against Chelsea, but after not playing for quite a while I can't see it happening. And Scholes has been pretty much guaranteed a starting spot, so I expect it'll be Scholes, Carrick and Hargreaves.

Hopefully Anderson will get a chance to come off the bench though. His energy and drive will quite likely be vital against a Chelsea team with the likes of Ballack, Lampard and Essien.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Actually, his 'played well in his last game' argument isn't completely true. Anderson was actually quite poor in the first half. It was only for the 15-20 minutes of the second half that he was quite good, where he really did drive us onto the front foot and helped us take control of the match somewhat. Then he got inured and came off.

I was really hoping that he would be starting against Chelsea, but after not playing for quite a while I can't see it happening. And Scholes has been pretty much guaranteed a starting spot, so I expect it'll be Scholes, Carrick and Hargreaves.

Hopefully Anderson will get a chance to come off the bench though. His energy and drive will quite likely be vital against a Chelsea team with the likes of Ballack, Lampard and Essien.
agree with most of that. I thought he was a bit anonymous against Chelsea, bar a 15 minute period. Then he either got injured or a cramp or something because he kept looking to the bench to take him off. Hasn't even made the bench since so its pretty obvious he's carrying an injury. So with that fact in mind, I wish the Anderson fanboys would give it a rest and show a bit of respect to our first choice midfield; Carrick and Scholes.

Spoony

The People's President
I'm pretty sober. I'd actually start him instead of Scholes. That's from a big fan of the Ginger Prince. Controversial, I know, but heh it's all about opinions.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Scholes is more capable of controlling the game, and cracking one in than Anderson at this point. I do agree that his energy would be good but the simple fact is that he's seemingly injured

Status
Not open for further replies.