André Onana | Officially a Red! | #24

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The Manchester United Goalkeeper Alliance Union Support Group is interesting to watch.

Pats on each other backs, fist bumps, applause for good passes and saves. Henderson and Onana little bromance :cool:
Its the first time I have seen video clips of goalies training. I wonder if the footwork exercises (pass & go) are new because of ETH. Surprised to see that they didnt do any long passes practises.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Its the first time I have seen video clips of goalies training. I wonder if the footwork exercises (pass & go) are new because of ETH. Surprised to see that they didnt do any long passes practises.
…in the short edited video.

It’s quite often the case that they don’t include long passing drills in the actual session (so many other things to focus on), but a lot of keepers want to do that after the session has finished.

And sometimes there’s tactical drills with outfield players involved where the play starts from a long kick from the keeper.

I’m sure Onana will do some stuff individually with Rashford, working on the timing of those through balls and runs.

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

I think keeper training at United used to consist of only shot stopping and booting the ball as hard as possible

sglowrider

…in the short edited video.

It’s quite often the case that they don’t include long passing drills in the actual session (so many other things to focus on), but a lot of keepers want to do that after the session has finished.

And sometimes there’s tactical drills with outfield players involved where the play starts from a long kick from the keeper.

I’m sure Onana will do some stuff individually with Rashford, working on the timing of those through balls and runs.
Thanks.

As goalies get more integrated/critical into the general play with 'modern football' I hope MUTV will start to show more of it -- and not just the outfield players.

top1whoisman

Scout
Thanks.

As goalies get more integrated/critical into the general play with 'modern football' I hope MUTV will start to show more of it -- and not just the outfield players.
They are very careful what to show and what not to. It's such a competitive game that no team/club wants to give anything away, even a tiny detail. So it'll always be pretty generic when it comes to the footage they let out.

sglowrider

They are very careful what to show and what not to. It's such a competitive game that no team/club wants to give anything away, even a tiny detail. So it'll always be pretty generic when it comes to the footage they let out.
True. Its the same as the training with the outfield players.

top1whoisman

Scout

“I’m very comfortable playing from the back, but it depends…

“I think the most important thing is to recognise the situation and that’s what I do myself, read the situation, especially what the team needs in certain moments.

“When we play, depending on who we play, sometimes you have the possession and sometimes not, so from there you have to be smart and try to help the team, because most of the time playing with these players is amazing.

“I had my first training session with them and it’s just amazing the quality here, it’s great.

“I think a lot of the time we will have possession. Sometimes I have to play higher and sometimes I have to drop.

“It’s just the moments and you have to recognise those moments and from there on, we look forward.

“But I look at myself as a modern goalkeeper, so I can adapt to any situation.”

“It’s not like everyone has the opportunity to play at United.

“For me, if you’re at this big club then you’re already one of the best in the world, so you just have to demonstrate that next month when the competition [Premier League] starts and I think I deserve it, I deserve a lot of things and I’m very happy for what we have done.

“The clean sheets were not only by myself: of course my team-mates, the defenders and the strikers, because the first defender would be my strikers. Also my goalkeeper coach.

“We work every day to keep the clean sheet at the weekend so, for me, it’s great.”

Devil You Know

How good is he at saving long range shots?

I'm just watching the Arsenal preseason match at the moment, and can't help but notice the midfield containing Mount and Bruno was a bit sloppy at closing down strikes from outside the box. The same thing happened in the FA Cup final and cost us the game. Although I'm sure we'll improve as the season goes on, I think this will be a gap that opposition managers will try to exploit.

I know Onana is on the slightly shorter side for a 'keeper. But does he have the athleticism to compensate?

crossy1686

career ending
How good is he at saving long range shots?

I'm just watching the Arsenal preseason match at the moment, and can't help but notice the midfield containing Mount and Bruno was a bit sloppy at closing down strikes from outside the box. The same thing happened in the FA Cup final and cost us the game. Although I'm sure we'll improve as the season goes on, I think this will be a gap that opposition managers will try to exploit.

I know Onana is on the slightly shorter side for a 'keeper. But does he have the athleticism to compensate?
You want oppo teams to shoot from distance. That means they’re frustrated and out of ideas. Like most keepers, unless they’re a worldie, he’ll most likely save it.

Devil You Know

You want oppo teams to shoot from distance. That means they’re frustrated and out of ideas. Like most keepers, unless they’re a worldie, he’ll most likely save it.
Only if you have confidence your goalie can save the shots! I wouldn't say think Gundogan pulled any worldies back in May.

Prime DDG would have kept a clean sheet that day. I'm just wondering if Onana has the same thing in his locker.

Steven7290

When asked in an interview if he plays with fear, he talked about this last game that he did and afterwards, he thinks "never again" even if he plays Madrid and Barca together. It was the Europa League final he lost against us. Glad we contributed to his career.

Didnt really have an impression about him in that game tbh.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Looking forward to seeing him but i wish he took the number 1 shirt

Real Name

Its so refreshing to see there are still a lot of players who want to play for United and want it desperately.

Blackbeard

Supports
Bristol City
Is he likely to play tonight? Will be good to see him at last.