André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanchez7

My one conclusion from video highlights is that he parries almost every shot, many of them back into dangerous positions. This makes me a lot more nervous than the passing/risk taking does.
Yes, as much as I want him to be great, the videos focus too much on his ball playing ability and not enough on shot stopping and handling.

Many years of watching DDG has made us fans take it as granted, i think we are going to be disappointed with some of these attributes.

RC89

Cracking video as usual @Raees.

He's going to generate so many pages on this forum, especially when he makes a mistake and we conceed. But thats part and parcel of a keeper like him.
I'm fully expecting him to drop a clanger from a completely safe position. But that's what you get with this style of keeper. Confident that he'll be a big net-positive (:wenger:) overall.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yes, as much as I want him to be great, the videos focus too much on his ball playing ability and not enough on shot stopping and handling.

Many years of watching DDG has made us fans take it as granted, i think we are going to be disappointed with some of these attributes.
Nope I won’t care, just like I’m sure City fans don’t mind how mediocre Ederson is as a shot stopper

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There's always going to be doubts when it comes to a new signing. But if Onana can save the shots, claim the crosses and prevent the shots to a good standard, then his ability on the ball will make the difference.

Also it's said in the video below about Inter conceding a low number of crosses in Serie A due to their system. So I wouldn't be too concerned about cross claiming stats because at Ajax in a higher defensive line those same stats painted a very different picture which is highlighted in the vid below where he was facing a high number of crosses.

And the tweet below is from someone that is a regular watcher of Serie A and Inter. And he's also someone that writes about the game in Italy.

dinostar77

Prime DDG will be more appreciated as time goes on. Onana isnt a good a shot stopper as prime DDG, but he has alot of other qualities that DDG never had. Two very different keepers.

Its gonna be a blast.

witchtrials

This will be a transformative signing for us. A definite upgrade from DDG (who’s been a great for us) progressive modern tactics for the managers need.

(can’t stop going around the house singing give me hope Onana- to the tune of gimme hope jo’anna by Eddy grant :lol: )
Favourite post from the thread. Sharing my excitement for a new approach while giving due respect for a fantastic player who has given the best years of his career to United and put in countless phenomenal performances for us.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
It will be hard to quantify the impact he has on changing our overall approach. But I think it will be clearer to the naked eye. I would expect our chance creation to jump and to have much more control when facing the press, something we have struggled against for ages. This should open up space from back to front, while the pitch played much smaller with DDG.

Onana will have some stinkers and wobbly moments but I think he will leave his defenders with less to do and provide the midfield and attack with much more than DDG ever did. And that will make it worth it, especially with where DDG has devolved to from his peak.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Notice how much better we were in the build up phase against Leeds in the 2nd Half Vs. 1st Half.

That is the difference a competent ball playing keeper makes.

OverratedOpinion

For those saying that they are worried there will be a drop off from De Gea outside of how he sweeps and uses his feet, aren't his stats better for nearly everything?

He is much better statistically at claiming crosses and his save percentage and percentage of saves for expected goals are both higher too.

Seems to me he is just all around a better keeper whilst also being much more suitable to play for a progressive and dominant team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Could we have got Maignon for that sort of fee?
Nah. He'd be like 80-100m if they'd even entertain selling him. I'd put Onana in the tier below Maignan who is up there with Allison as the best in the world. Onana still class though.

bosnian_red

Statistically, he's been a better shot stopper than de Gea the past 5 years. De Geas shot stopping is capable of being great, but it's inconsistent as feck and makes so many mistakes so on average, he ends up looking very meh with it. Onana is a very good shot stopper, and he's undoubtedly a better keeper when dealing with aerial balls/crosses. Can't say quite how good he'll be at that or if it'll be sufficient, but that was easily de Geas worst quality since he joined... So it'll be nice to have a keeper at least trying to be brave with crosses.

Skills

Snitch
Nah. He'd be like 80-100m if they'd even entertain selling him. I'd put Onana in the tier below Maignan who is up there with Allison as the best in the world. Onana still class though.
Shame, I wish we were proactive. He moved for just 15m euros only two seasons ago.

OrcaFat

I’m surprised how many people are doubting this and wondering if he’ll be better than De Gea.

I’m guessing the world is split into people who think saving shots is paramount and people who think possession and creativity are paramount.

With the shot stopping, there’s really only the occasional shot that can be saved by the best stopper but can’t be saved by the rest. So the greatest ever stopper is only marginally better than your average top-league keeper and will only save you a handful of goals a season.

Set that against the benefits of a competent sweeper keeper and wonder if the improved possession and impact on the structure of the team is going to be worth more goals going forward than we might concede by not having the best stopper.

It’s a philosophical question in the end. I definitely take the Onana type over the Dave type.

Reactions: Theonas

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
So we got exactly a whole month to get the striker position sorted. Hope we can strike a reasonable deal for Hojlund or go for Vlahovic.

bosnian_red

Shame, I wish we were proactive. He moved for just 15m euros only two seasons ago.
No use in worrying about our failures over the past 10 years, well known that we've been a mess! As long as it's improving going forward I'll be happy. And there is signs of that TBF.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
For those saying that they are worried there will be a drop off from De Gea outside of how he sweeps and uses his feet, aren't his stats better for nearly everything?

He is much better statistically at claiming crosses and his save percentage and percentage of saves for expected goals are both higher too.

Seems to me he is just all around a better keeper whilst also being much more suitable to play for a progressive and dominant team.
Yep.

Someone might be able to make an argument that De Gea is still the more talented shotstopper, with a greater capacity for higher end saves, whose expected stats get dragged down by what are effectively concentration errors. And therefore that when both are in form and not making errors De Gea is still a better shotstopper than Onana.

But even if that's the case, it's of very limited value. Because the errors still count, the shot-stopping is still average over an extended period and you'll get more consistency from someone who does the basic but frequent things well than the more irregular but spectacular.

kaku06

Vulgarian
I’m surprised how many people are doubting this and wondering if he’ll be better than De Gea.

I’m guessing the world is split into people who think saving shots is paramount and people who think possession and creativity are paramount.

With the shot stopping, there’s really only the occasional shot that can be saved by the best stopper but can’t be saved by the rest. So the greatest ever stopper is only marginally better than your average top-league keeper and will only save you a handful of goals a season.

Set that against the benefits of a competent sweeper keeper and wonder if the improved possession and impact on the structure of the team is going to be worth more goals going forward than we might concede by not having the best stopper.

It’s a philosophical question in the end. I definitely take the Onana type over the Dave type.
Scared of change. Fear of the unknown. Though people ultimately became fed up with de gea but It’s been so long having him in our goal that people are afraid to try something new especially when that something is far too adventurous compared to de gea. People are worrying about Onana mistakes first than getting excited about his strengths and the much needed radical change in our style of play he would bring. I for one can’t wait for this to happen.

I think the 'aerial duel' numbers didn't make sense because it's not really a goalkeeper stat. I think it's only headed duels that count, so for keepers, that would only be situations where they've left their box to sweep and try to get their head to the ball before an oncoming striker. That's why all the keepers only have 1 of those 'duels' per 4 games or something in the stats you had in the video.

A better metric for a keeper's aerial ability is the percentage of crosses stopped, which you can see on fbref. For example, this has De Gea 9th percentine (crap), Courtois 91st percentile (elite) and Onana 59th percentile (decent) - which makes a lot more sense with the eye test.
Great post. Onana is leagues ahead of De Gea with crosses stopped. We will see a marked difference with defending set pieces.

criticalanalysis

Guys it's happening on Friday. Inter and Utd are going to onanaounce to the theme of:

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
Today it is Friday, Friday (Partyin')
We-we-we so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball today
Tomorrow is Saturday And Sunday comes after... wards
I don't want this weekend to end
Look I don't want to say I called it but I fecking called it guys.

Onana onanaounced.

OverratedOpinion

Great post. Onana is leagues ahead of De Gea with crosses stopped. We will see a marked difference with defending set pieces.
I think this will be almost as much of an upgrade as what he offers with his feet.

I think we all knew De Gea had been poor for a while but when you see the stats it really does paint a pretty depressing picture.

https://fbref.com/en/players/7ba6d84e/scout/365_m1/David-de-Gea-Scouting-Report

https://fbref.com/en/players/e9c0c1b2/Andre-Onana

OrcaFat

Scared of change. Fear of the unknown. Though people ultimately became fed up with de gea but It’s been so long having him in our goal that people are afraid to try something new especially when that something is far too adventurous compared to de gea. People are worrying about Onana mistakes first than getting excited about his strengths and the much needed radical change in our style of play he would bring. I for one can’t wait for this to happen.
Yeah that’s it. I’m just surprised to read so many worried posts. Many seem to feel that a keeper is 99% saving shots and 1% footwork. Even the worst keepers in the worst teams spend more time passing/ kicking than they do making saves.

OverratedOpinion

Yeah that’s it. I’m just surprised to read so many worried posts. Many seem to feel that a keeper is 99% saving shots and 1% footwork. Even the worst keepers in the worst teams spend more time passing/ kicking than they do making saves.
Not to mention he is statistically better than De Gea at shot saving and dramatically better at claiming crosses.

OrcaFat

City fans don't have to care about that due to how little shots Ederson actually has to face.

I don't think Onana will get the same luxury so he'll have to be up to it
One of the reasons City don’t face many shots is because they have Ederson. Put Dave in their team and they would have a lot more pressure on their goal.

Wicked_Badger

Looking forward to this. Has Martinez signing vibes for me; people worried about his shortcomings but will be won over by the positive attributes he brings to the team.

Seems another character too by all accounts.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Looking forward to this. Has Martinez signing vibes for me; people worried about his shortcomings but will be won over by the positive attributes he brings to the team.

Seems another character too by all accounts.
Yet another shithouser, I love it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
One of the reasons City don’t face many shots is because they have Ederson. Put Dave in their team and they would have a lot more pressure on their goal.
Spot on

Put De Gea in that team and good high pressing teams will cut off the passing lanes to the outfield players. Hence Guardiola upon arriving at City got rid of Hart for Bravo from Barcelona. And then eventually they signed Ederson.

Guardiola's positional game would struggle against any well coached high pressing team with a GK who is as limited as De Gea on the ball.

KD6-3.7

De Gea has been a below average shot stopper for years now, he might pull out a great save every now and again but that’s about it. Also we will probably face less shots with Onana who will allow the defence to push further up the pitch because he can act as a sweeper something De Gea was incapable of doing.

Abraxas

Brilliant stuff.

I think the throwing was quite interesting to see. Some creative stuff going on there. Wouldn't be surprised if that leads to some effective counter attacks this season.

croadyman

City fans don't have to care about that due to how little shots Ederson actually has to face.

I don't think Onana will get the same luxury so he'll have to be up to it
Yeah that's a very valid point because we don't have that luxury of controlling games yet

Status
Not open for further replies.