g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pintu

Almost all of this is of no direct benefit to his team or outright dangerous and stupid. Half of the clips end in him messing up. Wtf are people seeing in this video?! He still looks a good keeper mind and I'd take him but serious Barthez vibes off that video
This video is old news… Almost irrelevant to the player he is today.

I didn’t watch him in Eredivise but I remember him being a quite important player in Ajax build up when they had that wonderful CL run knocking out Madrid and Juventus…

The season he’s just had with Inter was great. He is very good at beating opponents press, and starting the build up. That’s exactly what we need to play ETH ball.

daba

What’s the price looking like for Onana to leave? Costa is younger though so has potential to be better.
Mixed valuations being thrown around. I’ve seen €50m, £50m all the way to £70m.

Basically media outlets making their own calls or saying extortionate amounts to get clicks and reactions.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Mixed valuations being thrown around. I’ve seen €50m, £50m all the way to £70m.

Basically media outlets making their own calls or saying extortionate amounts to get clicks and reactions.
Nothing unusual then. Always the same.

Jericho

Almost all of this is of no direct benefit to his team or outright dangerous and stupid. Half of the clips end in him messing up. Wtf are people seeing in this video?! He still looks a good keeper mind and I'd take him but serious Barthez vibes off that video
Yeah. I think people might be confusing "brave on the ball" with "good on the ball". He's definitely brave to take the ball on in those positions, but it's not necessary. What we really need is a press resistant keeper who just generally has excellent distribution.

daba

Yeah. I think people might be confusing "brave on the ball" with "good on the ball". He's definitely brave to take the ball on in those positions, but it's not necessary. What we really need is a press resistant keeper who just generally has excellent distribution.
Onana was excellent in the CL final, even better than Ederson (who is widely regarded as the best in the world at distribution) at beating the press. If you haven’t, then watch that, not the old reel of extreme cases of him coming off his line.

I would argue what makes the best keepers good on the ball is the combination of technical ability and bravery/composure. No point being a great passer if you poo yourself the moment you are pressed, or not brave enough to leave your own box.

What makes a sweeper so effective in the modern game where is the keeper becomes an additional outfield player, making it a lot harder to press. This is the primary reason we are so easily pressed and dominated in games against Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal because they are the best pressers in the league and we have De Gea who cannot play this role.

ETH consistently has said he wants us to dominate games more and to do so, we need a keeper that is technical enough and brave enough to be our 11th outfield player when in possession. This is why I find it hard to comprehend that we would even want De Gea as a back up at this point, as he on his own changes the system.

Cathy Ferguson

Onana was excellent in the CL final, even better than Ederson (who is widely regarded as the best in the world at distribution) at beating the press. If you haven’t, then watch that, not the old reel of extreme cases of him coming off his line.

I would argue what makes the best keepers good on the ball is the combination of technical ability and bravery/composure. No point being a great passer if you poo yourself the moment you are pressed, or not brave enough to leave your own box.

What makes a sweeper so effective in the modern game where is the keeper becomes an additional outfield player, making it a lot harder to press. This is the primary reason we are so easily pressed and dominated in games against Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal because they are the best pressers in the league and we have De Gea who cannot play this role.

ETH consistently has said he wants us to dominate games more and to do so, we need a keeper that is technical enough and brave enough to be our 11th outfield player when in possession. This is why I find it hard to comprehend that we would even want De Gea as a back up at this point, as he on his own changes the system.
This. Having a press resistent keeper will make it much easier to achieve a numerical advantage when the opposition is pressing. But we still have AWB and Varane...

The White Pele

£45m is not bad at all if true. Less than Costa’s release clause and less than market value for a top goalkeeper IMO.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We have a good relationship with inter with transfers. If the opportunity is there to sign him, I imagine Ten Hag will push for it.

daba

One possibility could be offloading Fred to them to help them replace the potentially outgoing Barella. That being said, I don’t see Barella leaving personally.

crossy1686

career ending
For me, we have to sign this lad or a better keeper than De Gea if we’re going to kick on next season. A striker will help but a class GK will make the biggest difference. Just throw money at him and hope we get the takeover done in time to sign a great forward too, or we ship a load out before the window closes.

crossy1686

career ending
They were enquiring about Lindelof in the winter window. Would happily swap him for a much better keeper.
We’ve lost or are losing almost all our CB’s this summer with plans to sign maybe one. Wouldn’t be smart to let him go and scramble for someone before the window shuts.

Idxomer

The importance of a striker who can hold the ball up can't be underestimated.

Onana can play on the ground but he'll have to go long at times and none of our forwards can hold the ball up except Martial on a good day.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Jokes apart, Maguire would be a brilliant signing for them. Serie A will suit him perfectly and a 3 man defence at Inter will cover his weakness nicely.

Doubt he would want to move to Italy though .

croadyman

For me, we have to sign this lad or a better keeper than De Gea if we’re going to kick on next season. A striker will help but a class GK will make the biggest difference. Just throw money at him and hope we get the takeover done in time to sign a great forward too, or we ship a load out before the window closes.
Yeah look at a Taremi and a Thuram on free if that's what it takes to afford this guy

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It depends on what you cherish in goalkeepers.
Confident and comfortable in possession. I choose not to credit goalkeepers for distribution because it’s 60% on the receiver for me and 20% on the opposing team.
I won’t mind us signing him but I’ve seen at least 20 other goalkeepers this season I’d prefer, including some young upcoming ones.

croadyman

Confident and comfortable in possession. I choose not to credit goalkeepers for distribution because it’s 60% on the receiver for me and 20% on the opposing team.
I won’t mind us signing him but I’ve seen at least 20 other goalkeepers this season I’d prefer, including some young upcoming ones.
20,are you actually joking

Swordsman

which 20 other goalkeepers you prefer ?

Pintu

Jokes apart, Maguire would be a brilliant signing for them. Serie A will suit him perfectly and a 3 man defence at Inter will cover his weakness nicely.

Doubt he would want to move to Italy though .
No he wouldn’t… Inzaghi’s football require press resistant defenders that can pass the ball… You put Maguire, instead of Acerbi or Darmian, in the team they field against City and they are conceding 4/5 big chances in that first half…

ash_86

Would be a brilliant upgrade over our current #1. Please get it done Man Utd

AjaxNL

I think this is going to happen and it will be a great match. Onana is born for the premier league, the guy is so immensely strong. Will help Utd play out from the back as well.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
No he wouldn’t… Inzaghi’s football require press resistant defenders that can pass the ball… You put Maguire, instead of Acerbi or Darmian, in the team they field against City and they are conceding 4/5 big chances in that first half…
And who exactly are these press resistant defender? I have heard about press resistant midfielder but to coin a defender like that is bit strange, considering that's not a trait I would associate it with a defender.

I get your point though. His issue has never been about his passing . Lot of his criticism has been bit ott as well.

hobbers

45m for him would no doubt be the best business we do this window.

Much better value than Mount for christ sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.