g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why do we always have to wait till we sell a player before recruiting?! It’s the same with Kim… unless Maguire leaves we won’t sign him. Should just sign the players first then tell the current ones to leave for their own career.

Sid234

Why do we always have to wait till we sell a player before recruiting?! It’s the same with Kim… unless Maguire leaves we won’t sign him. Should just sign the players first then tell the current ones to leave for their own career.
I think the issue here is a tight budget - we need to sell to spend more than £100m due to FFP. So I guess we only want to spend on a lower priority position like CB if we know if won't impact our budget for a striker or midfielder.

Atleast that's my guess

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
This isn't a case of waiting to sell.

David de Gea, for all his faults over the last 4 or 5 years has been a loyal servant to the club, the club and he are in a position whereby they both know it is probably coming to an end soon and we are affording David the chance to decide whether or not he is comfortable being a second choice on reduced terms when he could quite easily covet a starting spot at a number of clubs in Europe on possibly better terms than what he is being offered. We are just being patient and letting a long tenured player make a considered decision.

Might not be nice for the "now now now" brigade but that to me is an easy way to get yourself into bad faith negotiations down the line with new and existing players. In a world where we aren't unique in our financial clout it seems that the holistic differences are the ones that will sway a player one way or the other.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I think the issue here is a tight budget - we need to sell to spend more than £100m due to FFP. So I guess we only want to spend on a lower priority position like CB if we know if won't impact our budget for a striker or midfielder.

Atleast that's my guess
Why are we suddenly concerned with ffp with a supposed 100m limit? Not been the case before and other teams regularly spend more

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Atleast that's my guess
Amortisation over the duration of a contract is factored in for FFP.

So say we buy Onana for £50mil and give him a 5 year deal. That equates to £10mil deducted from the FFP budget of £100mil.

That is a pleb level explanation, I am sure there is more to it than that but I believe that is the jist.

Sid234

Why are we suddenly concerned with ffp with a supposed 100m limit? Not been the case before and other teams regularly spend more
I believe there has been bigger push to follow FFP in the last few years. That's also why Chelsea have been signing players on 7-8yr contracts and also need to sell a bunch of players before June 30 (when the 2022-23 financial period for ffp ends).

From what was reported by the press, our limit of spending without sales is ~£100-120m. Our past of over spending and poor sales is catching up to us. They're also reporting that even w new owners, our spending limit wouldn't change this much.

Sid234

So say we buy Onana for £50mil and give him a 5 year deal. That equates to £10mil deducted from the FFP budget of £100mil.

That is a pleb level explanation, I am sure there is more to it than that but I believe that is the jist.
Yeah - I heard about this too. Will be interesting what we do this summer and how we manage

quadrant

When they talk about "the budget" they're taking about the face value of players, not the headroom for amortised costs. So the £100m relates to the total purchase price of those players. Otherwise our budget would essentially be £500m this summer, which obviously isn't right.

OrcaFat

Jesus :lol: Caftards get your meds ready. I’m not sure we are all ready for this guy. He would bring cull to this forum.
He terrifies me. Someone said he doesn’t do that shit these days but some of the stuff in that video was fully stupid.

Assuming he’s curbed it, he might only cost us a few calamitous goals a season. His quality as a sweeper will allow us to play completely differently and will easily offset those calamities. But they’ll be embarrassing when they happen and he’ll get a lot of heat.

Part of me will relish it but part of me dreads it.

OrcaFat

When they talk about "the budget" they're taking about the face value of players, not the headroom for amortised costs. So the £100m relates to the total purchase price of those players. Otherwise our budget would essentially be £500m this summer, which obviously isn't right.
I’m not sure this is the full story. There are at least two constraints- firstly the amount of actual money we have to spend and secondly, FFP. Neither are directly related to the face value of players we might buy, as far as I understand.

The “transfer budget” is really an estimate of the sum of all the player purchases at their “face value” but will, in practice, be very elastic depending on how the fees can be spread.

The FFP constraints are complicated but don’t look at the “face values”, it is money “out” and money “in” and depends how the accounting is structured. Over a long period it really is just adding up the “face values” compared with income generated but in any one year or over short periods of a few years, the accounting is relevant.

OrcaFat

Hes better than Maguire with the ball at his feet
Probably; but I wouldn’t conclude that based on that video.

These clips have been picked as examples of how he likes to come out and join in the play and how it can sometimes go wrong. There are several instances there where he is ahead of both the CBs when all three have acres of space around, he then carries the ball into an area where he doesn’t have space. In those moments I’m thinking, yes he’s good on the ball (for a keeper) but who’s in nets? Can’t help thinking it would be better to give it to one of the CBs and drop back into a sweeper keeper area.

There’s another video that shows him making quality passes from sweeper position whilst under pressure. He looks decent in that video but trying it in the prem for a season I don’t know how if he can live up to those highlights.

I’m sure Maguire’s highlight reel would include a lot of very good passes and would leave out the shanks and stumbles and the times he got turned or pressed into a useless heap.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I believe there has been bigger push to follow FFP in the last few years. That's also why Chelsea have been signing players on 7-8yr contracts and also need to sell a bunch of players before June 30 (when the 2022-23 financial period for ffp ends).

From what was reported by the press, our limit of spending without sales is ~£100-120m. Our past of over spending and poor sales is catching up to us. They're also reporting that even w new owners, our spending limit wouldn't change this much.
That would be broadly the same for other top clubs like City and Madrid for example?

UpWithRivers

These clips have been picked as examples of how he likes to come out and join in the play and how it can sometimes go wrong. There are several instances there where he is ahead of both the CBs when all three have acres of space around, he then carries the ball into an area where he doesn’t have space. In those moments I’m thinking, yes he’s good on the ball (for a keeper) but who’s in nets? Can’t help thinking it would be better to give it to one of the CBs and drop back into a sweeper keeper area.

There’s another video that shows him making quality passes from sweeper position whilst under pressure. He looks decent in that video but trying it in the prem for a season I don’t know how if he can live up to those highlights.

I’m sure Maguire’s highlight reel would include a lot of very good passes and would leave out the shanks and stumbles and the times he got turned or pressed into a useless heap.
Exactly this. He's a bit too bat sht crazy for me. We're starved for a ball playing keeper but have gone to the opposite extreme. He will let in as many goals as Dave does from misplacing passes

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Onana is a great keeper and he would be wonderful at United. His skills, his mentality will fit right into what Erik is building with our back 5. If we can get him (huge "if") I am certain he would hit the road running right away.

Sid234

That would be broadly the same for other top clubs like City and Madrid for example?
Yes - I believe so.. but I think have outgoing sales as well to help balance the books better or maybe not having to service debt helps out with their ffp

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Yes - I believe so.. but I think have outgoing sales as well to help balance the books better or maybe not having to service debt helps out with their ffp
Those things have been the case for so long though.

We've been crap at selling players and had a debt to service. Not had to worry about ffp that I can remember unless the rules have changed.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

Oh he’d need to tone it down a notch in the PL for sure.

He’d need two experienced and / or strong personality CBs in front (…or behind!) him as well.

Varane and Martinez would be great with him I think. But stick him behind two weaker CBs and things’d get sketchy quickly in the PL, no doubt!

mu4c_20le

There's a lot of bad decision making in that clip. A lot of those touches would get punished by higher level players in the Premier League.
Yeah half of them seem to be feck ups. Initially I thought his tweet was sarcastic.

Sid234

Those things have been the case for so long though.

We've been crap at selling players and had a debt to service. Not had to worry about ffp that I can remember unless the rules have changed.
Both UEFA and PL introduced new FFP rules last year, result of that I think

croadyman

Imagine what this place and the papers would be liked if he gets tackled and gives a goal away as he has done in the past. It’s just part and parcel of playing that way but when it inevitably happens it’s going to be wild.
Well have seen it from Alisson & Ederson occasionally but most of the time they are solid

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

I think you can comfortably spend 300mn if you are calculating 100-120 mn as ffp limit in my opinion.

Your club PR spin it for you as that's the limit overall spending also force selling club to come to negotiation table.By doing so you can acquire target for reasonable money.

But if proper target become available you will splash the cash more than 300 mn in my opinion.

OrcaFat

Oh he’d need to tone it down a notch in the PL for sure.

He’d need two experienced and / or strong personality CBs in front (…or behind!) him as well.

Varane and Martinez would be great with him I think. But stick him behind two weaker CBs and things’d get sketchy quickly in the PL, no doubt!
Ha ha, yeah. Martinez will keep him in check! If he shows up in midfield Casemiro would probably strangle him (gently, then give him a hug).

OrcaFat

Yeah half of them seem to be feck ups. Initially I thought his tweet was sarcastic.
I think it was. That stuff was amazing in a bad way. But as others have said, he would tone it down. And from the sweeper keeper area he looks capable.

TheGodsInRed

It's just a highlight wheel of his runs out of the the box. Good and bad.
He has toned it down quite a bit. The clips are mostly from his early days. Still a mad man though.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I'm predicting we could make a move for him on the deadline day.

Jericho

feck it maybe we should just work with that. We only ever get priced gouged when we have money in our pocket anyway.

Andersons Dietician

Well have seen it from Alisson & Ederson occasionally but most of the time they are solid
They are no where near as adventurous as he is or take as many risks as he does. Can just see any mistake or incident being blown up massively mainly because it’s us and all the talk of DeGea not being as good with his feet.

I do think he would have to tone it down and probably would be advised to.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Who’s better out of him and Costa? I’d say Costa is better at saving shots. Onana may be better at playing out… not really seen Costa play out from back.

The United

Almost all of this is of no direct benefit to his team or outright dangerous and stupid. Half of the clips end in him messing up. Wtf are people seeing in this video?! He still looks a good keeper mind and I'd take him but serious Barthez vibes off that video
And it showed not much of his passing ability either. It is one thing to be good at coming out and another thing to be good at playing from the back. I have not seen him play much though.

OrcaFat

Almost all of this is of no direct benefit to his team or outright dangerous and stupid. Half of the clips end in him messing up. Wtf are people seeing in this video?! He still looks a good keeper mind and I'd take him but serious Barthez vibes off that video
I think everyone who has watched this video agrees these are clips to show what an amazingly risky keeper he can be. No-one is looking at it thinking that’s what we need.

But!! There are other videos of him playing sweeper keeper and doing a good job.

Apparently he’s refined his performances a bit since most of the clips in this particular video.

Status
Not open for further replies.