André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zed 101

I know he's good with his feet but what about his shot stopping abilities? Is he on par with DDG?
Is this compared to when DDG bothers to attempt a save rather than just giving up on it

TrueRed79

Is this happening then??
More likely to happen than not i think. Thank you DDG but it's 100% time to move on. I'm sure he realises this as well. It makes total sense to part ways now. And he can get a decent contract as a free agent.

Telsim

I thought the same till I saw this
Fair enough. I just hope this actually gets done. A new goalkeeper should be a priority and not at all dependent on what happens with De Gea.

onemanarmy

Very underwhelming signing. Suspended for a year, expelled from the WC squad and has quite a few howlers in him.

Yes, he's better with his feet than De Gea but that's about it.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Very underwhelming signing. Suspended for a year, expelled from the WC squad and has quite a few howlers in him.

He's absolutely miles better than DDG in every way right now and one of the best GK's in Europe. He'd be an enormous upgrade. I'm not sure who is even attainable at that price that's better? Maybe Costa has more potential but he still looks shaky as hell and is more of a risk.

InfiniteBoredom

This will be either brilliant or disastrous. He has the cockiness required to deal with the pressure at Utd but equally if he gets sidetracked and stop trying like his last Ajax season then we might have to play Heaton(!).

Rake

Another thing is that (at least according to reports) Inter are willing to sell for around €50mil but Porto will want €70+mil for Costa. Given our current state this transfer makes more sense.

Castia

He's absolutely miles better than DDG in every way right now and one of the best GK's in Europe. He'd be an enormous upgrade. I'm not sure who is even attainable at that price that's better? Maybe Costa has more potential but he still looks shaky as hell and is more of a risk.
Is he though or has everyone seen him play half decent in the CL final and made their mind up? He was available for free not long ago I didn’t see a queue of clubs trying to sign him.

His character is that if a fecking dipshit and he seems to constantly be in trouble and then there’s the drug thing. Nah feck that the potential is with Costa hes worth the extra money.

glasgow 21

Can someone answer me question. How come we need a scouting department?. I sit every year and watch 95% by Saturday morning name the 6 /7 same players that are chased each year. Exactly what is the point of our scouting department if it never pull an out of field gem. There is never a surprise. We have 29 senior scouts attached to our club. For instance what does Budimir Vujacic Montenegro do ? He must be the whole balkans scout ,when was the last time we pulled a rough gem out of there ? Maybe these guys are making recommendations and they are being ignored.

onemanarmy

Well, he must have had a magical year at Inter then, because at Ajax he wasn't, at all.

JuriM

Well, he must have had a magical year at Inter then, because at Ajax he wasn't, at all.
Before or after his suspension and not getting along with the hierarchy of the team, Overmars etc? Because prior to the suspension he was amazing already.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hope our fans are prepared cause he will drop a few clangers.

Sir Erik ten Hag

This will be either brilliant or disastrous. He has the cockiness required to deal with the pressure at Utd but equally if he gets sidetracked and stop trying like his last Ajax season then we might have to play Heaton(!).
I remember Memphis Depay came here with a lot of swag too.

Chief123

Before people go on about his passing (again), I'd like to ask how are his other goalkeeping skills? Is he dominant in the air? Is he brave to collect crosses? How is he in penalty shootout...etc?
Let’s just say all of those points, De Gea is terrible at. So it can only be an improvement.

onemanarmy

Before or after his suspension and not getting along with the hierarchy of the team, Overmars etc? Because prior to the suspension he was amazing already.
I've seen him play weekly and he was never amazing imo. He was frequently heavily criticized by Ajax fans and when it was clear he was going to Inter he just didn't care anymore. His attitude was terrible. I watched a Dutch football show and they called him 'poison in the dressing room'. I'd prefer someone with a bit better attitude tbh. He was sent home from the World Cup and retired from international football too. Red flags everywhere.

Idxomer

You know the transfer is close when people start to find any weakness he has and exaggerate it.

Rake

Is he though or has everyone seen him play half decent in the CL final and made their mind up? He was available for free not long ago I didn’t see a queue of clubs trying to sign him.

His character is that if a fecking dipshit and he seems to constantly be in trouble and then there’s the drug thing. Nah feck that the potential is with Costa hes worth the extra money.
Yet, against any sane logic, the same manager that this happened under wants to sign him for one of the biggest clubs in the world. Not saying you are wrong, it's just peculiar that EtH is willing to disregard all of those things.

Silverman

His confidence on the ball will be a massive help when beating high presses.
He's gonna make mistakes but it'll be worth it for what a goalkeeper like that can bring to the team.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You’re just seeing compilations from his time at Ajax against Go Ahead Eagles and making assumptions. How many clangers did he make in the Champions League where he helped Inter reach a final?

Zoo

Yesterday there was a meeting between the United management and the Cameroonian goalkeeper's agent: the English have communicated their decision to submit an official offer to Inter for Onana by the end of the month. The offer should be between 40 (English will) and 50 million euros (Inter request) in total, a figure that could convince President Zhang to endorse the sale of André, who in a few months managed to become an idol for the Nerazzurri

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Calc...na-a-brozovic-il-punto-sulle-trattative.shtml

onemanarmy

Thats me :)

Actually I only really saw him in the final and I thought he was outstanding
I have no issue with that :) I just have a lot of Ajax supporting mates, have watched them a lot too and Ajax fans ran him out of the club because of attitude problems and terrible performances. Every opinion counts :lol:

davidmichael

Inter want €50 million and we want to pay €40 million so €45 million is likely to be the mark so that’s something like £38.5 million which could be a massive bargain, he was arguably the best keeper in the CL and one of the best across Europe last season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looking at their average stats over the last several seasons (since 17/18 in De Gea's case and 18/19 in Onana's).

Shot-stopping (PSxG/90): De Gea +0.04, Onana +0.06.

Crosses (% stopped): De Gea 2.1%, Onana 6.4%

Sweeping (defensive actions outside penalty area per 90): De Gea 0.71, Onana 1.44.

So along with ability on the ball Onana is statistically better than De Gea in terms of sweeping and crossing too. He's also been slightly better than De Gea in terms of shot-stopping over last several years, though we can take it as read that peak De Gea was better in that regard.

Tbf though, that exact description will probably apply to almost all goalkeepers we're linked with.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions

I'll just address this since I see a few people here have mentioned it already. The reason why he was expelled from Cameroon NT at the WC was his disagreement with Rigobert Song, the (clueless) manager, who presumably took issue with Onana's goalkeeping style asked him to change for a more conservative style. News from the team camp at the time was that Onana didn't agree about the manager criticising his style, they got into a heated exchange during a training session and they fell out as he was asked to leave the squad immediately.

Now, this display of cockiness and insubordination can be seen as a bad sign but for me the manager would/should have known his style of goalkeeping before selecting him. I guess EtH knows him well and intends to play to his strengths, using him according to his preferred style. By the way, he announced his retirement from the national team following the WC but seeing his performances (also due to lack of better alternatives), Cameroon's sports minister, FA, and even the same manager have been grovelling around, wooing him publicly to return to the NT.

He can be a little bit cnutish for sure, even I have had lots of times when I was annoyed by his behaviour. Still, I think his abilities are worth the occasional cnutishness and I think he's the absolute best of available realistic options for United. He won't be fazed by the spotlight and he has a manager in EtH who has managed him before and been through all the ups and downs with him, so he will know how to deal with him both on and off the field.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Kaos

Meh I'll take that since we're already accustomed to the monthly De Gea clanger - and thats without the ball playing ability or willingness to come out of his box.

Heck, Alisson and Ederson also drop the odd clanger, don't think their respective club fans have been calling for them to be replaced.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Inter want €50 million and we want to pay €40 million so €45 million is likely to be the mark so that’s something like £38.5 million which could be a massive bargain, he was arguably the best keeper in the CL and one of the best across Europe last season.
And going off the past fees we have paid for players who have been flops, this is an absolute steal. If he fails, it's hardly like spending 50m on Fred or 80m on Sancho.

If we sold Henderson for 15 to 20m and bought Onana for 40m then that's a bit of decent business. Would also like DDG to stay on as no2. Would ensure Onana is kept on his toes to perform.

Pronewbie

Peep
If we have no other good options and are keeping De Gea as competition, then Onana might be a good buy despite his character flaws. I'd imagine that Ten Hag would know better.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
His confidence on the ball will be a massive help when beating high presses.
He's gonna make mistakes but it'll be worth it for what a goalkeeper like that can bring to the team.
Not sure about that. When you have vultures circling around waiting for that mistake..given the **** following DDG has. Just look how big of a deal media made out when Antony tried to have some fun when the game was pretty much over.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I thought the same till I saw this
For a team that struggled with the buildup this is exactly what we need. We’ve needed a manager prioritising these facets of the game for ages. Really hope it happens. He’ll just have to work on crosses etc if he does come.

RuudTom83

I've never watched him closely (why would anyone watch a GK tbh) but some of the videos of him coming out into defence/midfield look horrific! and as soon as one of those goes wrong at Old Trafford he will be crucified by the media.

Gives me Fabien Barthez vibes...could go badly wrong.

InfiniteBoredom

I remember Memphis Depay came here with a lot of swag too.
On the pitch. Depay never expressed the same kind of arrogance on field as Onana.

Of course, it might be rough if he makes a few calamitous mistakes successively by him daring pressers to take/intercept the ball, but imo he’s the type who is confident enough not to change his game because of that.

davidmichael

And going off the past fees we have paid for players who have been flops, this is an absolute steal. If he fails, it's hardly like spending 50m on Fred or 80m on Sancho.

If we sold Henderson for 15 to 20m and bought Onana for 40m then that's a bit of decent business. Would also like DDG to stay on as no2. Would ensure Onana is kept on his toes to perform.
I’d rather De Gea left altogether if I’m honest as he’d still want at least £200K a week to stay which is more than any other keeper in the league, he simply doesn’t fit how ETH wants to play and De Gea playing would be the same as when we play Maguire which means our whole set up is all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.