André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
some a recentish, some aren't. But Onana is always a bit of a clown, sometimes in a good way, sometimes not so much. But overall it's not that much of a problem.
I for one haven't forgotten the goal Liverpool made in 2020 because Onana thought the ball would go wide.

lex talionis

The same Ten Hag identified replacing De Gea as a priority last summer and again this summer, and United offered Pogba a contract before he left also.
A “priority” you say? But didn’t De Gea play virtually game last season and isn’t it true that Erik has stated his desire to keep Dave and that Erik has offere Dave a new contract? Not exactly powerful evidence that Erik is desperate to get rid of Dave.

United indeed offered Pogba a new contract, but that fact in no way can be accepted as proof that United were desperate to get rid of Pogba.

Marcelinho87

A “priority” you say? But didn’t De Gea play virtually game last season and isn’t it true that Erik has stated his desire to keep Dave and that Erik has offere Dave a new contract? Not exactly powerful evidence that Erik is desperate to get rid of Dave.

United indeed offered Pogba a new contract, but that fact in no way can be accepted as proof that United were desperate to get rid of Pogba.
The word is the club have offered him a new contract and EtH plus others are against it hence why it's dragging on.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I for one haven't forgotten the goal Liverpool made in 2020 because Onana thought the ball would go wide.
:lol: ffs, I thought we might have gone the thread without that being brought up. You'll have set quite a few people off with that.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
:lol: ffs, I thought we might have gone the thread without that being brought up. You'll have set quite a few people off with that.
Imagine how us Ajax supporters felt that night. :lol:

lex talionis

The word is the club have offered him a new contract and EtH plus others are against it hence why it's dragging on.
That is not “the word”.

The word is although there’s no doubt that Erik would like a ball playing keeper, the transfer budget is such that if we spend the 50m it would take to bring on Onana or Costa, that’s 50m that won’t be available to upgrade both of our vastly more massive holes, a striker and an central midfielder.

De Gea has a contract in front of him right now waiting to be signed and there’s zero chance that that contract is being offered over Erik’s strenuous objections.

SATA

How old is Keylor Navas? I would love United to sign him instead if we are waiting for Costa to develop at Porto for another year or two. Top goalkeeper on his day

Bertie Wooster

Onana's an interesting choice if we do go for him.

I really fancied Costa as a definite preference, but wasn't confident we'd pay that much for a keeper with the other additions needed. Other than him, I wasn't overly excited by most of the other links.

Onana falls somewhere in the middle for me. Would still much prefer Costa, but would be happier with Onana than most of the other linked keepers.

peridigm

How old is Keylor Navas? I would love United to sign him instead if we are waiting for Costa to develop at Porto for another year or two. Top goalkeeper on his day
He had his chance. He cried at the thought of joining us, or was it the thought of leaving RM. Anyway, he’s not what he used to be.

croadyman

Onana's an interesting choice if we do go for him.

I really fancied Costa as a definite preference, but wasn't confident we'd pay that much for a keeper with the other additions needed. Other than him, I wasn't overly excited by most of the other links.

Onana falls somewhere in the middle for me. Would still much prefer Costa, but would be happier with Onana than most of the other linked keepers.
Like I keep emphasising it's the coming and taking crosses is my concern with Onana over Costa

Bertie Wooster

Like I keep emphasising it's the coming and taking crosses is my concern with Onana over Costa
Yeah, that is often a key test for any keeper coming into the PL.

I don't know what the stats are for it, but I'm sure crosses and set pieces are a bigger thing in the British game than most other leagues - and more scrutiny / expectation on a keeper to come out and deal with it.

From what I've seen, and as you say, I'd definitely prefer Costa to Onana in that regard.

Ted Lasso

Searched and watched it. Yikes that's bad. I'm just gonna go ahead and say it was brain fog from covid!

Marcelinho87

Seems somewhat unnecessary.
I'd require the same to be honest.

Imagine just one year ago you decided to move to another country, you're finally settled it's now home.... And now you're going again.

It has to be worth doing, surely? 3m euros per year doesn't seem a lot, what is it 60k per week give or take?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Searched and watched it. Yikes that's bad. I'm just gonna go ahead and say it was brain fog from covid!
I remember watching it in my clubhouse after training and just failing to understand what the feck just happened.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I remember watching it in my clubhouse after training and just failing to understand what the feck just happened.
For what it's worth he was quite embarrassed afterwards so let's just say Ajax paid the learning tuition there and it won't happen again.

Highfather_24

A proper proper upgrade on De Gea. Better on almost all metrics. There's not much between Onana and Costa either, and for 20M cheaper, I say go for him.

Onana vs Costa

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He had his chance. He cried at the thought of joining us, or was it the thought of leaving RM. Anyway, he’s not what he used to be.
I believe he really wanted the deal to happen and cried because he didn't? Im sure Mitten was talking about this recently.

dogwithabone

It will be weird seeing our keeper so far off his line. Against City in the final he was virtually in a position, when Inter were attacking, where most teams would have their centre backs. I like him though and he was exceptional at Ajax under ten Hag.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
A proper proper upgrade on De Gea. Better on almost all metrics. There's not much between Onana and Costa either, and for 20M cheaper, I say go for him.

Onana vs Costa

What exactly does defensive actions mean in this context?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
For what it's worth he was quite embarrassed afterwards so let's just say Ajax paid the learning tuition there and it won't happen again.
I don't doubt that, sorry you had to be the ones to pay for it against the scouse of all people. It's why I don't really care about Diogo Costa's WC performance, you don't learn much by doing everything right.

Trex

Why aren't the English journos reporting this? Gives me the Kim vibes were we're interested but not actively pursuing the deal and this Italian journos are trying to drum up interest.

GoldanoGraham

A ball playing passing GK would revolutionise our team…..can’t say how important it is for us to replace DDG this year.

I reckon we would add significant attacking threats and goals just from fast well placed play against the press from the back rather than shit and panic followed by lump that we’ve had last season.

Both options are an upgrade but Onana is my preference based on him working with ETH before and his showing in the CL final, and he would be cheaper and speaks English natively.

HarryGreaves123

Onana would be a key signing for us, more so than another midfielder, I would say. And considering the fact that we don't seem to be able to get Kane/Osimhen, I would say Onana is my #1 transfer target atm.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
A ball playing passing GK would revolutionise our team…..can’t say how important it is for us to replace DDG this year.

I reckon we would add significant attacking threats and goals just from fast well placed play against the press from the back rather than shit and panic followed by lump that we’ve had last season.

Both options are an upgrade but Onana is my preference based on him working with ETH before and his showing in the CL final, and he would be cheaper and speaks English natively.
He speaks French natively and is fluent in Spanish. His English is fine but looking at the defenders in front of him French and Spanish is really an asset.

crossy1686

career ending
He cried because he wanted to join us and play in England. Not at the thought of leaving Madrid. The Madrid PR machine span it that way though when the transfer failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.