André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneMC16

The improvement he would bring to our team would be staggering. I think his impact would be similar to Martinez. When you finally get to watch someone that can actually pass, it makes a huge difference.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good to see some progress on this deal. I don't like how most of the reports say "deal depends on De Gea staying", it really shouldn't. De Gea is not good enough to be our #1 and his contract would be too big to be #2.

Not sure about the price, all the reported fee is "Inter wants at least 50 million euros" which is 43 million pounds. Not sure if they also put add ons.

GK and CF should be the most priority positions for us.

criticalanalysis

Martinez, Onana, Shaw and AWB (yes the dangly legged one touches and dribbling) :devil: Heck even throw Varane in there with his awkward gait ball carrying too.

Oof. Gonna need some tissues at the thought of the passing and press evading.

Funkenstein

Fantastic keeper. Very good shot stopper as well, less flashy then De Gea but his positioning is really good.

I've been a massive fan of De Gea, he's completely bailed us out in his prime, but this is how we move forward. The Tifo video in the thread nails it really.

I will say though, people will begin to reminisce about prime De Gea's handling and ability to push the ball away from danger. Onana doesn't thrive there.
This is something I noticed in a highlight video I watched, there was a few saves he made on shots from distance that were parried straight back towards an attacker in the box and it was only poor reactions/finishing by them that stopped it being a goal. Hopefully something the coaches could work on with him.

Sir Erik ten Hag

Before people go on about his passing (again), I'd like to ask how are his other goalkeeping skills? Is he dominant in the air? Is he brave to collect crosses? How is he in penalty shootout...etc?

AgentP

He seems to be very comfortable on either foot which is a huge advantage for a keeper.

croadyman

Before people go on about his passing (again), I'd like to ask how are his other goalkeeping skills? Is he dominant in the air? Is he brave to collect crosses? How is he in penalty shootout...etc?
Would say Costa has the edge with that

Suv666

I know he's good with his feet but what about his shot stopping abilities? Is he on par with DDG?

Withnail

I know he's good with his feet but what about his shot stopping abilities? Is he on par with DDG?
I'm not sure this is even the right question. DDG is not in the top half of PL keepers for shot-stopping right now. He's not elite at any of the skills a goal keeper needs to have.

GoldanoGraham

He is also very vocal - and speaks English natively - which gives him a great start as everyone understands from the off.

Would be a great signing.

dazjoe

A valid question in 2017. De Gea is average at shot stopping now, for every brilliant save or MOTM game, he drops an absolute howler and/or has a nightmare. Any decent 'keeper in Europe is his equal at shot stopping.

KD6-3.7

I don’t really buy the links to Onana. Makes too much sense and United do not operate that way, would be a great addition but with the DDG situation it’s too easy to link us to a GK who’s great on the ball who just had a standout performance in a CL final against our City rivals.

sifi36

I'd rather get Costa. Statistically (PSxG) Onana did not have a good season. He conceded more goals than it would have been expected too.
His league performance on shot-stopping was poor, but his Champions League performance was elite. As were his previous seasons, in the league and Champions League. He only has 22 league appearances this season, it’s too small a sample size to be drawing that kind of conclusion from.

Given the high variance nature of goals and post-shot xG every elite keeper can have the odd poor season - Alisson was negative in 19-20, yet very strongly positive in every other season.

SteveCoppellFan

This signing would be brilliant.

Any keeper that can put in that kind of performance in a champions league final vrs City would be a great signing for United.

Telsim

I think missing out on Costa is a big mistake, but I suppose Onana will do, if available on the cheaper side.

A goalkeeper like that might just be the biggest upgrade we could make, even bigger than a striker. Now that the defenders no longer have to babysit the GK, and the GK can pass the ball well, we will be able to play much higher up the pitch, greatly improve our pressing, and open up additional spaces. A game-changer.

ManRed

I think missing out on Costa is a big mistake, but I suppose Onana will do, if available on the cheaper side.

A goalkeeper like that might just be the biggest upgrade we could make, even bigger than a striker. Now that the defenders no longer have to babysit the GK, and the GK can pass the ball well, we will be able to play much higher up the pitch, greatly improve our pressing, and open up additional spaces. A game-changer.
I thought the same till I saw this

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
He is also very vocal - and speaks English natively - which gives him a great start as everyone understands from the off.

Would be a great signing.
His English is fine but he is a native French speaker and fluent in Spanish.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
The improvement he would bring to our team would be staggering. I think his impact would be similar to Martinez. When you finally get to watch someone that can actually pass, it makes a huge difference.
Our defensive unit will be better on the ball than the midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.