André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
With all the ethical approaches our fans take - should a drug taker be allowed at the club?

El Jefe

Him parrying the ball before catching or clearing seems deliberate too me. Its not ideal but with keepers we tend to be pretty conservative because of how risk averse we want keepers to be. I remember when DDG joined and many pundits and fans would have a go at him for saving so many shots with his feet. Fast forward a few years and we were all praising DDG for this.

For most of those saves there seems a method to the madness. Also not sure what some are seeing from those videos, he looks great at coming for crosses. He's decisive and punches when he should and catches when he should.

Even if he actual shot stopping isn't a real strength the net benefit will be massive with his playing out from the back, sweeping, bravery and claiming of aerial balls.

This seems like a no brainer to me especially at €50m.

Bondi77

Ten Hag have trained Onana everyday for many years but a youtube video shows more than he knows? Ok..
So the default answer is we trust completely in Erik...seems pretty pointless coming on to a forum if you are incapable of forming your own opinion.

Marcelinho87

I am honest when I say I have only watched the first two minutes of the video that I posted and the basic error of punching the ball straight back to the six yard box was enough for me to form an opinion.
I did not watch the Chmps league final.
I also read that he was banned while he was at Ajax for drug taking and that is all I know about the bloke.
Then wouldn't it be wise to watch something longer than a whole minute? You can't form an opinion on something or someone's ability in a minute, sorry but it's impossible.

Every goalkeeper in the world will be able to muster a minute of the very same things in that video.

Idxomer

Him parrying the ball before catching or clearing seems deliberate too me. Its not ideal but with keepers we tend to be pretty conservative because of how risk averse we want keepers to be. I remember when DDG joined and many pundits and fans would have a go at him for saving so many shots with his feet. Fast forward a few years and we were all praising DDG for this.

For most of those saves there seems a method to the madness. Also not sure what some are seeing from those videos, he looks great at coming for crosses. He's decisive and punches when he should and catches when he should.

Even if he actual shot stopping isn't a real strength the net benefit will be massive with his playing out from the back, sweeping, bravery and claiming of aerial balls.

This seems like a no brainer to me especially at €50m.
Yep, Henderson was an improvement a couple of years back because he swept a bit and was more commanding than De Gea. Onana has many more strengths than him. If the pressure of playing for United doesn't get to him, he should be a huge improvement on what we had.

Marcelinho87

With all the ethical approaches our fans take - should a drug taker be allowed at the club?
Is it really unethical? Did he smash a line or inject himself with heroin? The drug he took is banned in sport sure but it's not a bad drug per se.

Plus UEFA agreed he had not intentionally cheated and agreed it was a mistake but had to uphold the laws, which is fair enough.

CAS also agreed the same hence the reduction.

croadyman

Going by the video he seems weak in his handling/catching and his saves seem to have a tendency to generally go back in dangerous areas.
Yeah will admit that Costa probably has the edge in that aspect of the game

dinostar77

Good video. I think we could have both onana and de gea. There will be games when your camped out in your own box and need your keeper to be a excellent shot stopper.

There will be games where you want to press high and onana allows that to happen as he his great at being a sweeper-keeper.

Will be interesting to see what utd do.

Wonder if de gea would join inter on a free to replace onana (as inter have financial issues).

Withnail

Is it really unethical? Did he smash a line or inject himself with heroin? The drug he took is banned in sport sure but it's not a bad drug per se.

Plus UEFA agreed he had not intentionally cheated and agreed it was a mistake but had to uphold the laws, which is fair enough.

CAS also agreed the same hence the reduction.
There was plausible deniability there too with the story about his wife's medication and the similarity to the packet of the pain killers he thought he was taking.

dinostar77

Didnt realise what a transformational keeper Onana is. "The best choice for a Utd ETH team."

CM

Good video. I think we could have both onana and de gea. There will be games when your camped out in your own box and need your keeper to be a excellent shot stopper.

There will be games where you want to press high and onana allows that to happen as he his great at being a sweeper-keeper.

Will be interesting to see what utd do.

Wonder if de gea would join inter on a free to replace onana (as inter have financial issues).

Onana is statistically a much better shot stopper than the current version of De Gea. It's a no contest.

dinostar77

Onana dude. Looks the transformational keeper we need. Then a solid no2 if de gea doesnt re-sign.

dinostar77

Why is this video the be all and end all? I'm sure there are videos out there of him making world class saves too... It's ridiculous to form opinions on videos, always has been.
Tifo I R L from The Atheletic is well known youtube channel. Im going by the video i posted, not videos i havent seen.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
He does have a tendency to push the ball back into positions that look dangerous. It's something that has been commented on in the past. As others said, though, I somehow don't recall that ever actually leading to a goal.

I vaguely remember one. Thought it was against Bayern but that seems to be wrong. Think he made a near impossible save first but then the ball just got punted in from 6 yards. But that's not an uncommon pattern in general

croadyman

He does have a tendency to push the ball back into positions that look dangerous. It's something that has been commented on in the past. As others said, though, I somehow don't recall that ever actually leading to a goal.

I vaguely remember one. Thought it was against Bayern but that seems to be wrong. Think he made a near impossible save first but then the ball just got punted in from 6 yards. But that's not an uncommon pattern in general
What's he like in terms of coming out of his goal to sweep up or catching crosses

Pintu

His CL campaign has been elite, with 8 times a clean sheet. And overall highest save percentage of the competition. Also preventing a total of almost 7xG..

MP 13
GA 11
PSxG 17.6
SoTA57
Save% 80.7
GA90 0.85

Glorio

Do we watch different DDGs? He doesn’t go near a cross unless there isn’t a striker within 30 yards of him.
I'm not referring to gathering crosses, I'm talking about making saves

JB7

I'm not referring to gathering crosses, I'm talking about making saves
That’s wrong as well then. Very few goalkeepers parry as many balls straight back into the six yard box as often as our Dave. It’s been less of an issue this year in fairness because the defenders have been better organised and expected it, so dealt with it more than in previous seasons.

prateik

He looks great on the ball but I can't find a decent video of him making saves..

someone who has seen him often, is he a good keeper?

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
We know he's a baller but how good is his shoot stopping ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.