André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Yeah, with Mount instead of Eriksen and Hojlund rotated with Rashford at #9 (or starting together with him) we would have more pace to pin the opposition backward and more work rate upfront to start to press teams higher as we weren't exactly the team known for high press last season.

That, along with having a keeper who can sweep in Onana, will help us move our lines ~10 meters further. We were at the bottom of the league last season for an average high defensive line record.
Unfortunately that still lacks someone who is able to both partner and cover for Casa

Erik the Red

All the "highest number of" stats are a bit meaningless, as he played the highest number of games (equal with Courtois). A number per 90 would make for a fairer comparison, e.g. Highest number of saves per 90, etc.

Walter Sobchak

All the "highest number of" stats are a bit meaningless, as he played the highest number of games (equal with Courtois). A number per 90 would make for a fairer comparison, e.g. Highest number of saves per 90, etc.
On the other hand being in the highest number of games is in some way reflective of and an indicator of your performance, especially in cup comps. For the same reason we don't discount tournaments top goal scorer in favour of most G/90 etc.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was close to going to Madrid… unfortunately for us they signed courtious otherwise they’d of probably still of wanted him.
That was eight years ago (after 14/15), three years before De Gea's form dropped off. Yes we certainly could have sold him then, and there seemed to be some further interest the following season, but when you were talking about selling him to get some money I presume you were talking more recently. He's signed two new contracts since that saga (one in 15/16, one in 19/20).

Waynne

They've been a pretty good source lately if I'm not mistaken.

He's a massive upgrade on De Gea.

If we get him and Hojlund, its another avenue to bypass high pressing teams as we know Hojlund has good hold up play. Can see in these clips he's feeding Lukaku directly in certain moments.
This would be another option or Plan B if we're faced with teams looking to put intense pressure on us playing out the back.

Fido

If we get him and Hojlund, its another avenue to bypass high pressing teams as we know Hojlund has good hold up play. Can see in these clips he's feeding Lukaku directly in certain moments.
This would be another option or Plan B if we're faced with teams looking to put intense pressure on us playing out the back.
Seems like the highlight reel is that of a DLP rather than a sweeper keeper

Last edited:

Lux Thunder

Unfortunately that still lacks someone who is able to both partner and cover for Casa
Of course, it is pretty much impossible job to address all positions in need in just one window. The main reason why I would choose Caicedo over Mount is that he can play multiple roles within the system, covering Casemiro as one of them.

Personally, for the start, signing a ball-playing GK like Onana would be a top priority, pretty much at the same level of need as signing a CF.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils

He is world class with the ball at his feet, I'm all in for this.

aeh1991

Way more comfortable to watch than de Gea. However, I prefer Costa. Wouldn't be against Onana though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Höjlund is a bit shit in the air isn't he? I remember reading his arial stats were pretty poor for his size.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I just can see those flat, low pings into midfield going straight to a Prem player.
From watching that video he doesn't just hit them with Hope, he assesses the situation, pick out the right teammate then goes on to using the right technique with the right weight on the pass to locate his teammates, not to mention the right timing he chooses to release the pass which is very important.

Is it high risk yes, would we get cut a few times probably, would we be able to beat opposition press with him in the team most definitely.

Majiek7777

He's such a great modern goalkeeper

Gary Neville and the Monday Night Football Sky pundits are not ready to analysis him :lol: seeing him come out to the halfway line as a baller will have them scratching their thick as mince heads it will be absolute scenes! New level stuff lads! Welcome to TenHagBall!

Onana even has the power to turn Maguire into prime Vidic. As Maguires lack of pace isn't an issue with Onana in goal.

Last edited:

GoldanoGraham

Just get this done then we can rest assured that Dave is no 2.

If we don’t sign a DDG replacement then we are going to have to sign a no2 anyway as Heaton gone and Henderson is on his way out.

Please make the correct decision for a change Utd

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He’d be a significant upgrade and a big reason we’d be able to finally exert control in games if signed.

What a sea change for goalies…Butland and Heston gone. Hendo nearly gone. DdG demoted. Finally we’ll have a modern keeper.

Marcus

The most radical change is afoot. Has a significant impact on the rest of the team.

Judas

Open to offers
and yet they're doing all this in secret from the British press? I've seen enough transfers coming from that part of the world to take all of this with the heaviest pinch of salt.

Marcelinho87

Just get this done then we can rest assured that Dave is no 2.

If we don’t sign a DDG replacement then we are going to have to sign a no2 anyway as Heaton gone and Henderson is on his way out.

Please make the correct decision for a change Utd
Heaton has gone? I thought he was staying on.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If we get this guy, we have to get a number 9 who can hold up the ball well - no point having this guy pull out some world class hollywood balls up the field and then being bullied out of the air. That video shows how good it is to have a Dzeko/Lukaku to hold up the ball to allow the likes of Martinez to zoom past.

crossy1686

career ending
and yet they're doing all this in secret from the British press? I've seen enough transfers coming from that part of the world to take all of this with the heaviest pinch of salt.
I think the Italians like to gossip over their cappuccinos in the morning. Fabrizio and the gang all started out in Italy, those lot are pretty loose lipped.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How is he on penalties? Would be good to have someone who could make a save here and there.
Think I saw he was something like 22% which is pretty much right on normal (unsure if the number was just penalties missed that he faced, but xG from a pen is around 0.79 which says 21% are missed on average). Not sure what percentage of on target pens are saved. De Gea is on like 14% for his career, mainly because until 15/16 he was actually good with them and then went like 5 years without stopping one.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Unfortunately feels like the only sources who keep talking about this are the garbage tier Italian sources. No United sources seem to be saying that we'll be bidding soon. You'd imagine we see some progress once de Geas contract status is official... Crazy that it isn't.

Andersonson

Highly skeptical about Onana, not a top GK in my eyes, then again, not many other options besides maybe Costa / keeping DDG

Laurencio

He's a good goalie, but why didn't we get him for a free last season if Ten Hag wanted him so badly :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.