André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He's going to get crucified the moment one of these results in a goal. I hope we are aware of the trade-offs and decided that what he brings in possession is valuable enough for slightly worse goalkeeping ability. No one looks at the boring bits that are done right, everyone wants to talk about the highlight reel saves / blunders.

A good pass under pressure out to a fullback that then moves us up the pitch 20 yds isn't really something that people will value correctly I feel.
We aren't losing worse GK ability though? De Gea didn't claim crosses well or anything in his own box, didn't sweep, and didn't distribute. And last year he was a poor shot stopper as well.

It's not like we are giving up prime De Gea for Ederson.

Stadjer

This looks all but confirmed now. A proper signing this time around. Would have rather had Costa, but I guess Onana will do as well. Possibly the biggest upgrade we could make and should transform the way we play across the pitch. Just brace for the occasional howler. But getting used to not seeing David de Gea between the posts will take some time. Still, should be quite the upgrade, if he can adapt to the league (comparison to De Gea):

Why Costa? Why are people so convinced about him? Onana played in the biggest club game, the CL final and looked fine. Costa played some World Cup group stage games and looked scared. Being a Manchester United goalkeeper isnt easy. The list of quality keepers between Schmeichel and VDS that couldnt handle the pressure of being a Manchester Untited is quite long. I have more faith in Onana being able to handle the pressure of being the Manchester United goalkeeper than i have in Costa.

Varane around town

Absolutely no question that Onana is a massive upgrade.

Do I feel DDG deserves more of send off? Is it unbecoming dropping him like a side girl off Hinge? Yes.

However, football is a brutal business and we need ETH to get a 'keeper who can play his style. I think we'll be amazed at the upgrade in quality between the sticks. I can't wait for this happen.

Stadjer

I am still anxious about this one -- even in the highlight reel it seems like he never makes a clean save. The ball always goes back into the box or takes another bounce before he controls it.

Still onboard with this because the upgrade in passing alone is worth it. The number of times fecking Lukaku controlled it well means any decent CF we sign will be able to do the same.
Slow brain slow body Harry Maguire wouldnt be good in front of Onana. I do think that Varane and Martinez have the anticipation and are quick enough with their body and brain to deal with some loose balls... i hope. I do agree that it does stand out in his videos. Onana doesnt always seem to hold onto the ball well.

Telsim

Why Costa? Why are people so convinced about him? Onana played in the biggest club game, the CL final and looked fine. Costa played some World Cup group stage games and looked scared. Being a Manchester United goalkeeper isnt easy. The list of quality keepers between Schmeichel and VDS that couldnt handle the pressure of being a Manchester Untited is quite long. I have more faith in Onana being able to handle the pressure of being the Manchester United goalkeeper than i have in Costa.
Judging players on a single game or the World Cup isn't exactly wise. Costa is a young and very well rounded keeper who can go to become even better in a few years. And if you are worried about the pressure, then we might as well pretty much never sign anyone young, because you never know how they will take. Onana could also bomb in the Premier League. You never know until you do.

But I'm fine with Onana anyway. Second choice behind Costa. I think he will improve us massively.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This is an oft overlooked component of playing for Manchester United. The pressure. As you say we had talented keepers, the Barthez, Bosnich, Tiaibi, Foster, and Kusczaks of this world that couldn’t hack it. Onana plays with such confidence and has already had the pressure of a CL final, that I have more confidence in him than Costa, who has shown nerves at the highest level. So it’s not just about who is the best at their respective level, it’s also about who can handle the step up. There is no crystal ball to make that prediction, so you have to go on the limited evidence available.

C'est Moi Cantona

Assuming we get him then this is our most exciting signing since Pogba imo, obviously hoping it works out better than he did though.

De Gea has been a great keeper, but he went stale a long time ago, just glad Erik has had the balls to see this through.

RedOrange

This is an oft overlooked component of playing for Manchester United. The pressure. As you say we had talented keepers, the Barthez, Bosnich, Tiaibi, Foster, and Kusczaks of this world that couldn’t hack it. Onana plays with such confidence and has already had the pressure of a CL final, that I have more confidence in him than Costa, who has shown nerves at the highest level. So it’s not just about who is the best at their respective level, it’s also about who can handle the step up. There is no crystal ball to make that prediction, so you have to go on the limited evidence available.
It's also worth mentioning that playing at Inter is a big deal. Inter is one of the biggest clubs in one of the biggest leagues in the world. Ajax to Inter is a much bigger jump than Inter to United.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It's also worth mentioning that playing at Inter is a big deal. Inter is one of the biggest clubs in one of the biggest leagues in the world. Ajax to Inter is a much bigger jump than Inter to United.
But coming to the Premier League will be an even bigger jump.

themanguydude

Be careful what you wish for.
I feel the people who say something like this are those that have nothing else objective left to say but still wants to have the last word. So they say stuff like this that cannot be falsified immediately

Because objectively, from the eye test, from stats, from analytics, there is no possible way any neutral would take De Gea over Onana. But because Onana is about to replace your favourite player and you cannot emotionally accept that, you feel the need to make a quip like this. But deep down in your rational mind, you'd probably do feel the same, only for it to be represssed by sentimentals.

Besides, the last time something along those lines was said was when Ronaldo left, and we all know how that went.

Last edited:

Jericholyte2

Considering we employed a bottom tier keeper last year by all conceivable metrics, yes Onana can't be worse unless he suddenly forgets how to kick a ball.

Or do you still think De Gea was good because he won the Golden Glove last year?
I acknowledge that football has moved on from DDG. I acknowledge he has weaknesses as a truly top tier GK. I also acknowledge the need to upgrade if we’re to progress.

However, (a) if half of the story of what happened is true then the club are a disgrace for doing that to a 12yr servant for the club and (b) some people have such short term memories and need to put some respect on De Tea’s name for what he’s done at the club.

Between 2012 & 2018/19 he stopped up from drifting away even further than we did and deserves our respect for that. The issue with his move to Real Madrid was shit but he came back and gave great service to the club.

And we have would-be FM legends describing him as a bottom-tier goalkeeper, do me a favour!

Donut

I wonder how many people who are saying how amazing he is have only seen the CL final?

doomy20

Ok so now let’s sign a striker so Onana can actively make a difference

Alemar

Between 2012 & 2018/19 he stopped up from drifting away even further than we did and deserves our respect for that. L
Without a doubt. He may deserve a statue outside the stadium, but he deserves it for something he’s done in the past.

We simply must evolve and move forward - without him in the squad, unfortunately :(

Teja

We aren't losing worse GK ability though? De Gea didn't claim crosses well or anything in his own box, didn't sweep, and didn't distribute. And last year he was a poor shot stopper as well.

It's not like we are giving up prime De Gea for Ederson.
Personally think he'll be a worse shot stopper than DDG here. I don't know enough about his ability to sweep / claim crosses but likely will be an improvement.

Slow brain slow body Harry Maguire wouldnt be good in front of Onana. I do think that Varane and Martinez have the anticipation and are quick enough with their body and brain to deal with some loose balls... i hope. I do agree that it does stand out in his videos. Onana doesnt always seem to hold onto the ball well.
Yeah hopefully Martinez / Varane + some more coaching will be enough to compensate for his handling.

Trex

Personally think he'll be a worse shot stopper than DDG here. I don't know enough about his ability to sweep / claim crosses but likely will be an improvement.

Yeah hopefully Martinez / Varane + some more coaching will be enough to compensate for his handling.
Is his handling a problem though, has it actually cost his team goals?

Alemar

Is his handling a problem though, has it actually cost his team goals?
We need John Harrison analysis on his xGA contributions from various aspects of the game - then we will see.

Poor handling may lead to some more goals conceded, but better sweeping, better distribution and better command of area will lead to less goals conceded (and then also account for more goals scored via his passing abilities). Integral effect will surely be positive

SuperMario

Supports
Ajax
Congrats. Onana was very important in Ajax' success in 2019. His agility is great. At the time, I thought he was one of the maybe 5 best goalgeepers. Manchester United is right to buy him. Dont like him through. Leaving Ajax for free, after his doping suspension

Abraxas

Worse shot stopper then DDG? Are we talking DDG 8 years ago or today? He palms the ball into his own net. Some of the clangers he's dropped have been absolutely embarrassing.

I would say DDG's shot stopping is totally average at this point. The rest of his game is below that.

Djemba-Djemba

Worse shot stopper then DDG? Are we talking DDG 8 years ago or today? He palms the ball into his own net. Some of the clangers he's dropped have been absolutely embarrassing.

I would say DDG's shot stopping is totally average at this point. The rest of his game is below that.
Yeah it's a bit of a myth De Gea is still an amazing shot stopper.

He really isn't anymore. Yes, he occasionally will make a very good save but that's true of every keeper. I don't think he makes them very often anymore.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

Ye but when DDG was 27 he was the best shot stopper in the world. He’s decline as he’s aged. If Onana has bad shot stopping at his age now then that’s a problem.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Delighted for this to come off.

Although Ten Hag’s misguided belief in De Gea has come at a very expensive price, considering Onana joined Inter on a free last summer.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I feel the people who say something like this are those that have nothing else objective left to say but still wants to have the last word. So they say stuff like this that cannot be falsified immediately

Because objectively, from the eye test, from stats, from analytics, there is no possible way any neutral would take De Gea over Onana. But because Onana is about to replace your favourite player and you cannot emotionally accept that, you feel the need to make a quip like this. But deep down in your rational mind, you'd probably do feel the same, only for it to be represssed by sentimentals.

Besides, the last time something along those lines was said was when Ronaldo left, and we all know how that went.
Huge projection and a very odd post.

Simply that Onana might not be all he's cracked up to be.

JB7

Delighted for this to come off.

Although Ten Hag’s misguided belief in De Gea has come at a very expensive price, considering Onana joined Inter on a free last summer.
What misguided belief? Onana had been speaking to Inter for several months before Ten Hag joined United so it was already a done deal. Ten Hag then tried to sign both Trapp and Sommer last summer only for both players to turn us down before we ended up with Dubravka on loan. He’s remained largely non-committal on De Gea all season, it has been pretty clear to anyone that he’s never had any genuine long term belief in De Gea.

Status
Not open for further replies.