André Onana | signed for United | On a flight to NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suedesi

Inter and Onana had agreed on a pre-contract agreement in January 2022, after it had been reported that Inter had been in discussions with Onana since October. It was Arsenal who had come close to signing him in the summer of 2021 according to the Dutch source NOS who went on to report that Arsenal offered €7m but Ajax wanted €15m. Hence Arsenal pulled out for a player that wasn't going to be available due to his ban and instead signed Ramsdale. That then gave Inter the opportunity to sign him on a free with Arsenal out of the picture because Inter could only sign him on a free at the time.

United at the time were still being managed by Solskjaer and then afer by the interim manager Rangnick who went on record and said the team required open heart surgery but De Gea, Elanga and McTominay were not a problem.
I wasn't aware of the pre-contract sitch - though do remember Arsenal being connected to him. Oh well.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
2 burning questions
Will we lose him every month for AFCON duty?
Why didn’t we buy him for free when his price was lower?

criticalanalysis

Why are we signing a player, who deliberately took performance enhancing drugs, will be out for 6 months of the year playing the African Cup of Nations, will cost us £50m when we could have got him for free, palms the ball straight to attackers, will try to dribble a pressing player and lose the ball, played in the Dutch league and again another player, which has a connection with ETH, has an attitude problem and will down tools, is of African descent and we know what that means in his keeping ability and has only one good season in a top league?!

Suedesi

Did ETH convey any sort of wish to sign a new goalkeeper? Or Onana? Or a goalkeeper with those traits?

United's organization was clearly not equipped enough to be able to anticipate a manager's need without him saying so. It was made clear by ETH ending up going for players he knew.
I don't know if ETH convey any sort of wish then, but De Gea was coming close to the end of his deal, shouldn't a succession plan been explored with the incoming coach?

It's all moot as @Adnan pointed out that Inter had signed a pre-contract in Jan 2022.

mu4c_20le

I don't know if ETH convey any sort of wish then, but De Gea was coming close to the end of his deal, shouldn't a succession plan been explored with the incoming coach?

It's all moot as @Adnan pointed out that Inter had signed a pre-contract in Jan 2022.
A club like United should be working on transfers regardless of the manager. They would have known about Onana like the rest of Europe after his CL displays, and that DG needs replacing, and after Henderson showed his true colours.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

The tweet below is from Fabrizio Romano from January 2022. Inter had been in talks with Onana since September 2021 according to reports.

Pintu

Erik ten Hag was confirmed as Manchester United manager in April 2022, Inter picked Onana in July. We could have moved on him if we were decisive, shrewd and longsighted - but those adjectives don't apply to our organization.
This part is wrong. He signed with Inter in January 2022. He agreed with them the summer prior to that but they only offered little money and couldn’t agree a fee with Ajax…

Anyway the last chance to hijack his move to Inter passed in January 2022… And this has been answered many times.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The tweet below is from Fabrizio Romano from January 2022. Inter had been in talks with Onana since September 2021 according to reports.

Ffs dont do that :lol:

Onana and here we go had me triggered.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Erik ten Hag was confirmed as Manchester United manager in April 2022, Inter picked Onana in July. We could have moved on him if we were decisive, shrewd and longsighted - but those adjectives don't apply to our organization.
Yes he signed for them officially then but the leg work was done before then in January.

cyberman

This reporter went big on not getting Onana a few days ago and is one of those who won’t admit they got it wrong

Last edited:

Rolaholic

Why are we signing a player, who deliberately took performance enhancing drugs, will be out for 6 months of the year playing the African Cup of Nations, will cost us £50m when we could have got him for free, palms the ball straight to attackers, will try to dribble a pressing player and lose the ball, played in the Dutch league and again another player, which has a connection with ETH, has an attitude problem and will down tools, is of African descent and we know what that means in his keeping ability and has only one good season in a top league?!
Actually no we don't, please explain for us exactly what you mean by that...

slyadams

:eek:

Alemar

Would hope so but I've seen some crazier things posted in the transfer forum :lol:
He must have been satirical. If any African country to be mentioned, it’s Cameroon which is especially known for good goalkeepers. N’Kono, Songo’o, Kameni, Belle to name a few. So Onana may very well be a big success from this standpoint

Dread Devil

Onana is an incredibly exciting signing….our hearts will be in our mouths as he receives a back pass from a defender with an attacker oncoming….

but for a different reason than we have been used to with De Gea..

With Onana we know he can control it, we know he can use left or right foot and pick out his man and get it to him but will he try something special and mess it up….

I am invested in the excitement of a keeper in control with the odd lapse where he gets caught out rather than the terror of any back pass being miscontrolled or going straight back to the opposition..

De Gea has been an amazing servant of this club, he has been player of the season so many times and he deserves his legacy but it’s time for both the club and De Gea to move on…

Reactions: Cheimoon

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think its a crime that Inter got him for free and then sell him for 50m just one year later. Thats like printing money out of thin air, just like the government which is very corrupt. Mafias the lot of them.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think its a crime that Inter got him for free and then sell him for 50m just one year later. Thats like printing money out of thin air, just like the government which is very corrupt. Mafias the lot of them.
And most likely funding Inter to get Caicedo.

NoPace

I get spending the money. We need to improve a ton and having a proper passer back there could help us really control games in a way we didn't do enough last year. Our line was really deep for a top team and now we'll play higher up the field with Onana pushing us up and Mount as a 2nd 10.

I'm fine with overpaying for a player you know the manager rates (and so will start) and helps us transition from a decade of mostly incoherence into a passing team.

BaguetteBoy

I get spending the money. We need to improve a ton and having a proper passer back there could help us really control games in a way we didn't do enough last year. Our line was really deep for a top team and now we'll play higher up the field with Onana pushing us up and Mount as a 2nd 10.

I'm fine with overpaying for a player you know the manager rates (and so will start) and helps us transition from a decade of mostly incoherence into a passing team.
and yes he’s coming to a new club. But not a new system hé know ETH and knows how he plays. Will be easy to settle in. Might surprise a few

BarryWinks

The repeated questions on this thread reminds me of the "Serious Di Maria vibes" post on the Casemiro thread last summer. :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why can’t we buy every player in the world? I mean we must be constantly planning for different managers. What the hell are they doing?? I blame Fletcher, obviously spending too much time working on getting his kids into the city academy rather than making sure he’s out there recruiting!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Oh dear.

OverratedOpinion

Put Barthez in place of Ederson at City and they do just as well this season.

The idea is that football has evolved and that having a goalkeeper that helps you dominate games is vital to becoming a team that scores hatfuls of goals and is worth the 1 or 2 goals a season they cost you by being a bit overconfident on the ball. Ederson and Allison both have those moments a couple of times per season.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Put Barthez in place of Ederson at City and they do just as well this season.

The idea is that football has evolved and that having a goalkeeper that helps you dominate games is vital to becoming a team that scores hatfuls of goals and is worth the 1 or 2 goals a season they cost you by being a bit overconfident on the ball. Ederson and Allison both have those moments a couple of times per season.
Call me old fashioned, but I’d rather have a keeper who keeps clean sheets!

Status
Not open for further replies.