Andrea Belotti

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXVnee7

One of our biggest problems this season has been our failure to saturate the defending box with bodies to get on the end of crosses and second balls. How many times this season have we fizzed an early ball across the box, or right across the face of the goal but with no one on the end to finish? We have a lack of a player who likes to 'goal hang' for the lack of a better term. Someone who is going to gamble in the aforementioned situations. Belotti is seen by many as an old fashioned archetypal no.9 who leads the line with great movement and hold up play bringing others into the fray. His scoring stats are pretty impressive even if it is the Serie A.

We have a strikers problem, especially if Ibra leaves and whether Belotti is the answer or not we need to address it. I would potentially even be open to going in for Lukaku. It's a shame we can't go in for Kane this summer. Either way a 20-25 goal /season striker is a necessity IMO. We can't spread the goals out like Liverpool do because our offense is much more focused.

SouthPredators4

I like him or Icardi to be our new number 9. Granted both aren't the greatest in terms of technique or build up plays, but with Mkhitaryan and Grizzmann on the wide, we need a striker to be on the receiving end of crosses. Somebody to occupy the box and take attention, ala Diego Costa.

AgentP

So, I saw a few of his full game highlights to get a better idea about his game and this is what I have noticed. I'm no expert on him. This is just my opinion.

Positives
He is a typical poacher. He hounds the defenders the whole game and helps out in defense. He makes good runs off the shoulder of the defenders. He is very good at scoring from indirect set-pieces. He scores a lot of headers. He is quite pacy.

Negatives
His first touch is possibly worse than Lukaku or atleast as bad. He is quite limited technically. He is not a good dribbler. His passing is nothing special. He can't score much from long range. His hold up play is decent at best. He won't contribute much to the build up. He is terrible at penalties. Don't expect him to create chances on his own.

From what I have seen, I'd rather take Lukaku. Atleast he has experience in the PL and won't have to adapt. So there won't be any bedding in period.

Jaybomb

I can't be the only one that really doesn't want Belotti or Morata, can i?

They just don't strike me as United players. I would much rather Lukaku who I think would be absolutely outstanding at United alongside Pogba and hopefully Griezmann. We should go all out for Romelu before a rival gets him and reaps the rewards for years to come.

King_Cantona07

He would suit for the current potential signings expected. Lukaku would make the play one dimensional and easy to defend for opposition. We were facing same problem during final year of Ruud. And interchangeable mobile front 3 is what united must target.

Devil may care

He would suit for the current potential signings expected. Lukaku would make the play one dimensional and easy to defend for opposition. We were facing same problem during final year of Ruud. And interchangeable mobile front 3 is what united must target.
That's the biggest reason I'd go for Belotti, if we buy Lukaku we'll have to cater the entire attack to him like we did with Ibra, only he's nowhere near good enough to do that, we need a more flexible striker.

DarkXaero

They just don't strike me as United players. I would much rather Lukaku who I think would be absolutely outstanding at United alongside Pogba and hopefully Griezmann. We should go all out for Romelu before a rival gets him and reaps the rewards for years to come.
I think Morata would be much better for us than Lukaku or Belotti. Morata is technically a lot better than either of those two, works hard for the team, and he has improved his goalscoring (the biggest knock against him). I think he has been severely underrated on this forum by most because of his goalscoring numbers for Juventus.

The one option that I'm surprised we really haven't been linked with is Andre Silva. He's only 21, Portuguese, tall, good header of the ball, and plays for a club Mourinho has previously managed.

jesperjaap

Well unlike it seems everyone on this thread I havent seen Belotti at all. I have always thought Morata is a good striker but not an exceptional one so I agree with you on him. Lukaku is also definately a no for me, especially at the ludicrous prices being talked of. When he is really on his game he is almost unplayable but when he isnt on his game he looks really poor, I just dont see him being consistent enough especially in the bigger games to be a great striker for us.

notcool

Supports
a
@abhayselvan
Good scout report. I think a lot of people had the impression that his hold-up play was pretty good and wouldn't have thought his first touch was so bad.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
So, I saw a few of his full game highlights to get a better idea about his game and this is what I have noticed. I'm no expert on him. This is just my opinion.

Positives
He is a typical poacher. He hounds the defenders the whole game and helps out in defense. He makes good runs off the shoulder of the defenders. He is very good at scoring from indirect set-pieces. He scores a lot of headers. He is quite pacy.

Negatives
His first touch is possibly worse than Lukaku or atleast as bad. He is quite limited technically. He is not a good dribbler. His passing is nothing special. He can't score much from long range. His hold up play is decent at best. He won't contribute much to the build up. He is terrible at penalties. Don't expect him to create chances on his own.

From what I have seen, I'd rather take Lukaku. Atleast he has experience in the PL and won't have to adapt. So there won't be any bedding in period.
Brutal set of negatives :(

I didn't want Morata or Lukaku so had my eggs in this basket out of little exposure. Seems my basket is empty now. Bollocks.

Kane then. Poor Woody, that chap from Whatsapp would tickle by comparison.

gulli_G

He seems to have stinker vs Juve:

His first touch makes Rooney look like Messi in comparison.

Positives

Negatives

When you say he's a poacher, are you thinking more like a Filipo Inzaghi or more like a Darren Bent?

engulfing

When you say he's a poacher, are you thinking more like a Filipo Inzaghi or more like a Darren Bent?
Hes abit of a batistuta. Superb shot power from both feet and good in the air. Hes not the biggest, but Alan shearer wasn't either. My only concern is his hold up and combination play. But i haven't seen more than a few videos of him.

el3mel

He seems to have stinker vs Juve:

His first touch makes Rooney look like Messi in comparison.
That was terrible. If his hold up and first touch are always like that I can't see how he will fit Jose style by any means. Zlatan's ability to drop deep and help in the build up was a key part in our chance creation. This guy doesn't seem to be able to do that.

Goals in serie A means nothing for me as their top scorer is Dzeko and we all know how Dzeko is from his period at City.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I think comparison against Juve with the kind of team he has around him is unfair.He was playing as a midfielder almost as torino hates losing to juve and first job was to defend. This is him against Bologna, he does have a poor touch but that is like once a match at best. I think he is better than most give him credit for. He works hard for the team and scores goals. I think his Goals and attitude is like Ruud van nistelroy. He is also a leader at 22 he is vice captain of his team and usually captains them.
I would not buy him for 100 million euros. But for 50-60, i d take him.

el3mel

I think comparison against Juve with the kind of team he has around him is unfair.He was playing as a midfielder almost as torino hates losing to juve and first job was to defend. This is him against Bologna, he does have a poor touch but that is like once a match at best. I think he is better than most give him credit for. He works hard for the team and scores goals. I think his Goals and attitude is like Ruud van nistelroy. He is also a leader at 22 he is vice captain of his team and usually captains them.
Must admit he has some nice shooting power in him, and this video is much better than the Juve but it's against a worse defense, though. Still I can't find anything more than shooting power to make interested in him.

We don't need a poacher only as number 9.

RAVred

I want him, especially if hes cheaper than Lukaku. However, Italians are usually the least likely to move out of their country, at least the good ones.

His first touch and technical ability isnt the greatest, but that doesnt matter that much to me honestly... We have other forwards that have great to decent first touches such as Greizmann (by next season :) ), Martial, Rashford (has improved), Mkhitaryan. That having one that doesnt have a good one and can bully the defense is better (in terms of sheer power and size).

Lukaku could also do that, but he strikes me as a much less passionate, and much more selfish player. Belotti's conversion rate is similar, he's better on the end of crosses, which is really what we lack, especially when Ibra leaves (tho greizmann is similarly and surprisingly amazing at the end of crosses, Greizmann's crossing is also good, which could be an asset especially if we have someone else in the box whos decent on the end of them).

To me though, its clear if Lukaku is even 70 million pounds we will buy him. That's unless Costa leaves and he chooses Chelsea.

Swaters16

So, he's a bit like Harry Kane then? Shoots with power with both feet, and good with his head but nothing special outside of scoring goals? I really haven't seen enough of him to judge but I just don't see this guy being good enough to win us trophies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If he lacks in his all round game then we should stay clear. These things really only get shown up in a better league and at a bigger team. Yes we need goals, but it isn't that easy to translate those from one environment to another if you're weighed down by lacking in other areas. Also, I do think a dynamic striker in the Benzema mould who has a bit of everything would suit Rashford and Martial well. Zlatan was terrific but I don't those two played well with him at all.

From the established ones, Aubamayang looks like the one with the ready skill set. But given he might be hard to get, I reckon we might be best off rotating between Rashford and Martial infront of (hopefully) Griezemann. Otherwise, a cheap workhorse might also work in that scenario but would limit the games of the young talents with not much payoff.

The thing that stands out in that video is his ability to get his body in between the opposing player and the ball and keep the ball upfield. That would be a devastating talent with our pace and if we add Griezmann this summer.

In the video v Juventus he is the exact opposite though. I'm not sure which is the norm for him.

Hojoon

So, he's a bit like Harry Kane then? Shoots with power with both feet, and good with his head but nothing special outside of scoring goals? I really haven't seen enough of him to judge but I just don't see this guy being good enough to win us trophies.
Reminds me more of Cavani. Relentless worker, willing ball carrier but average technical skills, and knows how to get goals. Seems better in the air due to bulkiness but Cavani's movement is better.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Not much subtlety about his game. He doesnt venture far outside the 6 yard box. A poor 1st touch could land up in the goal.

He looks like he works out and applies his strength on the defenders in creating space/opportunities. Will he be able to bully the EPL defenders who are all usually build like tanks -- Wes Morgan, Robert Huth, Shawcross types?

reddevil702

Reminds me of Diego Costa when he was at Atlético. Seems like one of those strikers who is a pest and very tenacious.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
When you think of how many people said this season "imagine if we had kept Hernandez, we'd have won some of those draws" and I think that's probably true. He seems very similar in that respect, would be happy to see him here. Couldn't care less about the money.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Hes abit of a batistuta. Superb shot power from both feet and good in the air. Hes not the biggest, but Alan shearer wasn't either. My only concern is his hold up and combination play. But i haven't seen more than a few videos of him.
So from a few videos you can conclude he's like one of the best strikers of the last generation?

Akshay

Staff
If he lacks in his all round game then we should stay clear. These things really only get shown up in a better league and at a bigger team. Yes we need goals, but it isn't that easy to translate those from one environment to another if you're weighed down by lacking in other areas. Also, I do think a dynamic striker in the Benzema mould who has a bit of everything would suit Rashford and Martial well. Zlatan was terrific but I don't those two played well with him at all.

From the established ones, Aubamayang looks like the one with the ready skill set. But given he might be hard to get, I reckon we might be best off rotating between Rashford and Martial infront of (hopefully) Griezemann. Otherwise, a cheap workhorse might also work in that scenario but would limit the games of the young talents with not much payoff.
I think we're looking for a target man who can hold the ball up. Mourinho always wants such a striker in his team and Zlatan gave us that this season. Rashford while improved isn't there yet. Martial and Griezmann aren't that type of player. The issue is we'd probably want a forward who's also much more than that, but there seems to be a short supply of those.

Sir Roi de Muppeterre

Why do we need a #9?

If we get Griezmann, I don't see the need for new #9. We have Ibrahimovic, Rashford and Martial. Even if Ibrahimovic leaves, I trust both Rashford and Martial to lead the line so long as they have Griezmann behind them.

nils

In all fairness to the lad, that juve back line did make the almighty MSN look pretty darn average aswell so i won`t judge the poor guy on that game alone.
I have to agree with alot of people, i would not pay 100 million for the guy but if he is available for like 50 - 60 i would love to see him in our shirt! :)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am aware that there’s plenty of youtube experts at redcafe. So please ignore this post if you know enough about the player. However those who are interested in knowing what real expert think might find this post interesting.

Alessio Pala –ex youth coach of Albinoleffe
“ He deserves all the success he’s having. He’s predestined to be successful. Goals run in his veins. Is he the new Pippo Inzaghi? They both can score in every way possible ie headers, two feet etc. However Belotti is far more physical.

In many ways he reminds me of a young Vialli. He certainly got a great engine . Other players might get tired throughout the game but not Belotti. He’s always at the right place at the right time and he gives his 100% both during the game and in training. His work ethic is impressive. After playing with the national team (youths) he would go straight to training

Prior to my arrival he was more of a winger then a striker. It was I who moved him upfront. When he was young he was a bit clumbsy, a late developer however he now deserves all the success he can get.

Emiliano Mondonico – Manager of Albinoleffe when Belotti was still a youth talent there.

“He’s top class. I’ve noticed that immediately. He’s very physical and extremely talented. He’s an old fashioned type of striker with great movement and eye to goal. He can play as a striker, as a winger or as a no 10 but I think his best position is that of a main striker. Its there were his eye to goal can be better exploited. He’s very similar to Roberto Boninsegna and Gianluca Vialli”

Giorgio Perinetti ex director of Palermo
“Selling Belotti to Torino at that price was the biggest mistake Palermo had ever done. It saddens us to sell a player with such potential for such a small fee and that’s something even Zamparini agrees with. Zamparini is the type of person who like South American talent, players who makes everything look easy like Dybala or Pastore. I can’t blame him on that. However sometimes you need to focus also on players who are far more direct. When I spoke to Gattuso about Belotti he told me that he have only encountered 1 player who had the same directness, pace and finishing skills (heading, two feet) ie Andriy Shevchenko.

Fabio Capello – “He’s one of the best strikers in the world. He’s got great movement, and pace and he’s quite physical. He’s the complete package for a striker. I think that Belotti is technically superior to Batistuta.”

Now back to @devips who think that the Mexican one trick pony is as good as Belotti

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
We don't need a poacher only as number 9.
Yeah, but we do need a poacher in the squad. Rashford's intuition to get on the way of the ball is dreadful.

Might be a player who struggles to adapt, though.

VojjE

Now back to @devips who think that the Mexican one trick pony is as good as Belotti
Why the need to slag off a player who had some great success with us and was well-liked by almost everyone? I agree with you that Belotti looks like a massive talent, but wrong way to spin it.

Crashoutcassius

I think we'll get this guy and we'll get him for not much money in the end, like €40m. He simply doesn't justify 70m and nobody will rival us to pay that.

I would obviously prefer lukaku but I don't see us spending 85m £ on Griezmann only to spend the same on Lukaku (Everton got 50m for stones they won't sell Lukaku for 50 or close).

Lukaku would justify that price tag but we just can't spend 170m£ on two strikers this summer when other positions need work, unless we got Perisic and Matuidi and Keane for a song or sold Martial for 50m.

I actually don't mind this guy, he is what he is, a totally different striker to Rashford, a hard worker and a poacher. Might complement Rashford if they could compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.