Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
It was a solid performance and I'm pleased for him. The notion that he might be a better option than Matic is vaguely mental. Baby steps.

jesperjaap

Well when Matic comes back, if he is playing at number 6 I thought Pereira could be an option on the right. Of course he could also play as a number 8 as well. He isn't a proper right winger, but he has played on the right before. I'm not saying he is the answer for the right hand side, just an option.
Well that is a good point. As once Matic is fit he could well be back on the bench and similar with Luke Shaw with Ashley Young

jesperjaap

I think he shouldn't either. He had a good game on the ball, but off it, his positioning wasn't all that great. Matic is far superior in that respect.
He has been playing in the position for about five minutes so that is something that hopefully can improve. Matic was probably our best player last season, people are forgetting that. I think the two things Matic is far superior in to him is experience (which obviously helps with positioning) and the main one being his strength, Matic also doesnt lose the ball as he is so good at getting hios body between it and the opposition player.
I think ability wise though he has so much more than Matic, like Luke Shaw does over Ashley YOung. I hope both get plenty of opportunities so that there confidence doesnt dip and also so they can progress, as ability wise they can both be really really good players for us. Shaw I would start over Ashley Young personally

jesperjaap

Got to admire the transition to this role. He’s taken to it fantastically. Some harsh defensive criticism, think the tackling criticism is a little overboard, players like Scholes and Kroos have flourished in deeper roles without being able to tackle because of what they offer is that good. If Pereira continues to improve in that regard we shouldn’t even care about his tackling.

Leicester didn’t press him so much, he was playing some delightful long balls and he was full of energy. Will be interesting to see how he does against some intensity.
They flourished deeper as they had so much experience. Both player further forward until a certain age. I think with all players fir Pereira should be getting opporunities in all of the central midfield positions to develop. The worrying thing is I can see this not happening as much as it should with a full squad and us turning to Fellaini/McTominay off of the bench in games instead, which would be sad in my opinion as both of those are limited in what they can do.

sherrinford

They flourished deeper as they had so much experience. Both player further forward until a certain age. I think with all players fir Pereira should be getting opporunities in all of the central midfield positions to develop. The worrying thing is I can see this not happening as much as it should with a full squad and us turning to Fellaini/McTominay off of the bench in games instead, which would be sad in my opinion as both of those are limited in what they can do.
I think all of Pereira, Kroos and Scholes are/ were very natural in operating with the play in front of them. Andreas looks far more comfortable deeper than in some of the higher spaces I can remember seeing him being asked to operate in, in the past.

I don’t think his transition to the no.6 role is something to admire really, I’m pleased that he is being played in a suitable position and therefore has the opportunity to contribute in a greater sense than he would do if Mourinho treated him as an auxiliary option for the three attacking midfield roles.

Getting opportunities in all the central midfield roles to develop would be great, and would give himself/ Jose/ everyone the chance to see the extent of his versatility. I think Fellaini has plenty to offer coming on in an advanced midfield role, but I wouldn’t be looking to McTominay.

Fracture90

Great performance, decision he made to join Valencia on a loan last season surely helped him.

His ball control, technique, agility and quicknes make him a hard target to close down in a high pressing game.

R'hllor

One season too early, Matic is still better, but I hope that Pereira manages to get 15-20 starts and some appearances from the bench.
There is no such thing as to early for me, if Pereira drops 8/10 or 7 week in week out and JM gives Matic his spot back the moment he is fit to play, i will go ape shit.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
There is no such thing as to early for me, if Pereira drops 8/10 or 7 week in week out and JM gives Matic his spot back the moment he is fit to play, i will go ape shit.
I’d make peice with it now mate. Matic will be straight back in the team when fit. He’s one of Mourinho’s favourites and is virtually undroppable.

Smores

Senior players always deserve the chance to win their spot back imo otherwise you've got loads of unhappy senior players kicking up a fuss.

As long as Periera still gets games to prove himself and grow i don't see the issue.

MadMike

Yeah but what if Matic comes in and plays 7-8/10s every week as well? Like he did last season to be fair. In the grand scheme of things so long as Matic plays well it's not a problem. I'd worry if Matic plays shit and keeps Pereira on the bench, that's when the problems start.

Between the #6 and the #8 position, which he can both cover, Pereira will get many of games this season. Between 20 and 30 would be my prediction. Pogba and Matic can't play every game, especially Matic. Remember how gassed he was in the last 3rd of the season last year? Also let's not forget this is Pereira's first season as a CM, he's been playing as winger or #10 most of his career so far. He has things to learn and way to go yet and covering for Matic and Pogba is a good way to do it.

I expect him to feature heavily and claim the #6 spot in a 1-3 year horizon, so long as Mourinho is manager. He seems to like him a lot.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Senior players always deserve the chance to win their spot back imo otherwise you've got loads of unhappy senior players kicking up a fuss.

As long as Periera still gets games to prove himself and grow i don't see the issue.
True but at the same time Pereira is 22, he isn't a kid and if he puts the performances in then he deserves to play.

R'hllor

The feck. Why they deserve it more then younger ones, because they are older what?! We are not a fecking tribe. Ah why even bother, if you were Chelsea fan you wouldnt mind watching Ivanovic having 1/10 week in week out and still being undroppable because you know he is 32 a senior pro and God forbid we want to upset them.

R'hllor

Yeah but what if Matic comes in and plays 7-8/10s every week as well? Like he did last season to be fair. In the grand scheme of things so long as Matic plays well it's not a problem. I'd worry if Matic plays shit and keeps Pereira on the bench, that's when the problems start.

Between the #6 and the #8 position, which he can both cover, Pereira will get many of games this season. Between 20 and 30 would be my prediction. Pogba and Matic can't play every game, especially Matic. Remember how gassed he was in the last 3rd of the season last year? Also let's not forget this is Pereira's first season as a CM, he's been playing as winger or #10 most of his career so far. He has things to learn and way to go yet and covering for Matic and Pogba is a good way to do it.

I expect him to feature heavily and claim the #6 spot in a 1-3 year horizon, so long as Mourinho is manager. He seems to like him a lot.
Its a problem for me because in that scenario, Pereira didnt do shit to deserve to be dropped, on top of it, if same shit is applied just reverse roles, Pereira wouldnt be slotted in right after being injured for Matic thats for fecking sure.

MadMike

The feck. Why they deserve it more then younger ones, because they are older what?! We are not a fecking tribe. Ah why even bother, if you were Chelsea fan you wouldnt mind watching Ivanovic having 1/10 week in week out and still being undroppable because you know he is 32 a senior pro and God forbid we want to upset them.
Are you reading whatever you want to read? He didn't say that senior players deserve the spot, he said they deserve a chance to win it back. Especially if the only reason they are not playing is injury rather than bad form.

If Matic plays 1/10s then he should be on the bench, no one is disagreeing with that. Though knowing Matic he doesn't really do <6 performances, never mind 1s.

R'hllor

Are you reading whatever you want to read? He didn't say that senior players deserve the spot, he said they deserve a chance to win it back. Especially if the only reason they are not playing is injury rather than bad form.

If Matic plays 1/10s then he should be on the bench, no one is disagreeing with that. Though knowing Matic he doesn't really do <6 performances, never mind 1s.
Yea they deserve a chance ofc, by sitting on the bench working hard and wait starting player to drop in form.

MadMike

Yea they deserve a chance ofc, by sitting on the bench working hard and wait starting player to drop in form.
Pereira hasn't shown that he's better than Matic yet. Relax. He's played 1 game. He's shown that he has different strengths and weaknesses and he'll be a valuable asset. Matic has shown consistency over many years in the EPL.

The manager also judges the sharpness and readiness of players from these things called training sessions. They exist contrary to popular belief, he doesn't see the players just once a week like us. If Matic starts again it will be because he's looking better in training.

I'll leave Mourinho to judge who should be playing and I'll judge him and the players from performances of the team. Controversial as that sounds. Rather than lose my shit like you the moment I see a team-sheet with Matic instead of Pereira.

The risk of Mourinho treating Pereira unfairly when he's been the one pressing him to stay (instead of going on loan), he's been the one who saw he skill-set matching a #6 and been converting him to one and he's been the one singing his praises... is small in my eyes.

R'hllor

Pereira hasn't shown that he's better than Matic yet. Relax. He's played 1 game. He's shown that he has different strengths and weaknesses and he'll be a valuable asset. Matic has shown consistency over many years in the EPL.

The manager also judges the sharpness and readiness of players from these things called training sessions. They exist contrary to popular belief, he doesn't see the players just once a week like us. If Matic starts again it will be because he's looking better in training.

I'll leave Mourinho to judge who should be playing and I'll judge him and the players from performances of the team. Controversial as that sounds. Rather than lose my shit like you the moment I see a team-sheet with Matic instead of Pereira.
Nobody said he showed nor that he played more then one game, scenario was in case he has 8/10 in games week in week out before Matic is fit to play. So dont bother spinning now.

Again like he saw it in Ivanovic`s case and others, guess they were real killers on training pitch.

Last edited:

Smores

And then you have an unhappy player who wants to leave and it weakens the squad. Players aren't idiots they understand earnt loyalty.

Periera is in a perfect position where Matic can't play every game so he has a perfect opportunity to win his place and take over the role more and more. He'll get a lot of games this season.

R'hllor

And then you have an unhappy player who wants to leave and it weakens the squad. Players aren't idiots they understand earnt loyalty.

Periera is in a perfect position where Matic can't play every game so he has a perfect opportunity to win his place and take over the role more and more. He'll get a lot of games this season.
feck him, why it should be any different for him then for Martial, Martial wants to leave, people jump on him with "oh if he doesnt want to work hard and fight for that LW position, then we dont need that type of player". So if Matic doesnt want to wait, work hard and steal that position back after Pereira drops in form then i guess, cya later too. Or rules arent again the same, its just depends who is in what trench.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If he puts in a load of top performances in Matic’s absence then there’s no reason Pereira can’t play in the same midfield as Matic. I think Fred is going to take a while to settle and could maybe do with some time out of the firing line when we have a full strength team.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
&quot;like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
feck him, why it should be any different for him then for Martial, Martial wants to leave, people jump on him with "oh if he doesnt want to work hard and fight for that LW position, then we dont need that type of player". So if Matic doesnt want to wait, work hard and steal that position back after Pereira drops in form then i guess, cya later too. Or rules arent again the same, its just depends who is in what trench.
Did you read his whole post? Players understand earnt loyalty but you, it seems, do not.

Chairman Steve

It still seems too early to gauge how good he’ll be, or even whether he’ll be here this season. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he goes out on loan once Matic and Fellaini get up to speed again and Jose seems to like McTominay too.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
It still seems too early to gauge how good he’ll be, or even whether he’ll be here this season. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he goes out on loan once Matic and Fellaini get up to speed again and Jose seems to like McTominay too.
That isn't going to happen. Pereira is a 6, he is the Matic replacement/stand in. McTominay is nowhere near him or he would have started over him on Friday.

SoCross

I’m a huge fan of this kid but let’s not get ahead of ourselves yet, it’s just one game. Just hope Jose gives him the opportunity to start games.

15-20 starts and sub appearances is what I hope to see. Glad he played well and made Jose notice him, he’s doing the right things!

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
It was a solid performance and I'm pleased for him. The notion that he might be a better option than Matic is vaguely mental. Baby steps.
Some people think of Matic being somewhat undroppable, in the seocnd part of the season he ahd a lot of poor to average games too but he's too new and started too well so some people will hardly criticise him. It' liek with Darmina he was praised for being average at the beginning, and it took like a year for some experts here to relize that he's total shit. Not saying Matic is shit but he should be rotated with other players like Herrera and Pereira. Matic was lucky to get absoltuely fresh and in form team and very easy fixtures to start his United career but he never really dominated a game like that after except a game or two in the second half of the season. He shouldn't be undroppable. His lack of movement and inability to release the ball quickly really slows our game down, not that it wasn't already that slow and it's hardly solid defensively against top teams. Basically we are only sitting back becasue we are unable to put in any decent pressing.

That is something we are missing and will continue to be dominated. Matic should be replaced sooner rather than later if we want to up our game. Let's hope Fred will hit the ground running and Pereira gets better and better soon because I think the midfield which played against leicester I think has a good future. Obviously it's totally different when 5or6 other palyers are not totally useless, can't hold the ball make a run or string few passes together so anything what our midfield can do is to dribble out somehow or hoof it forward. But this midfield will be great with Fresh in form pogba, more settled fred and pereira fit Lukaku, a decent RB and LB and when we have players on both wings who can make a run or hold the ball somehow, otherwise it will be very hard to make any judgements upon them. So it's not totally mental to think he could be a better options in some games even now

MadMike

Yep.

Worth mentioning the difference with our other contracts, because in his last extension Andreas negotiated so both sides have the option extend. Our only contract like that. In other words, we can unilaterally extend his contract (like we do with other players) by 1 year but he can also unilaterally extend his contract too.

The only scenario where his contract would terminate next summer is if neither Andreas wanted to stay nor the club wanted to keep him (or even sell him). Otherwise his contract expires in 2020 for all intends and purposes.

I'm pretty sure we'll be negotiating a new contract with him by new year, the way things are going.

Prongsy

Some people think of Matic being somewhat undroppable, in the seocnd part of the season he ahd a lot of poor to average games too but he's too new and started too well so some people will hardly criticise him. It' liek with Darmina he was praised for being average at the beginning, and it took like a year for some experts here to relize that he's total shit. Not saying Matic is shit but he should be rotated with other players like Herrera and Pereira. Matic was lucky to get absoltuely fresh and in form team and very easy fixtures to start his United career but he never really dominated a game like that after except a game or two in the second half of the season. He shouldn't be undroppable. His lack of movement and inability to release the ball quickly really slows our game down, not that it wasn't already that slow and it's hardly solid defensively against top teams. Basically we are only sitting back becasue we are unable to put in any decent pressing.

That is something we are missing and will continue to be dominated. Matic should be replaced sooner rather than later if we want to up our game. Let's hope Fred will hit the ground running and Pereira gets better and better soon because I think the midfield which played against leicester I think has a good future. Obviously it's totally different when 5or6 other palyers are not totally useless, can't hold the ball make a run or string few passes together so anything what our midfield can do is to dribble out somehow or hoof it forward. But this midfield will be great with Fresh in form pogba, more settled fred and pereira fit Lukaku, a decent RB and LB and when we have players on both wings who can make a run or hold the ball somehow, otherwise it will be very hard to make any judgements upon them. So it's not totally mental to think he could be a better options in some games even now

Couldn't agree more on almost every single point here lol.

I genuinely have no reason to actually think Matic can't improve. But some how, many united fans already assume he is giving his best, and that its already good enough. Thats just not even remotely true. He plays in a role and tries to model after Carrick, but he takes far too many touches, and time, before he ever thinks of a risky pass. now at that place, a risky pass doesn't have to be a creative pass. but risk is still a risk. If you can't take it playing DM, you running around like a horse trying to break the play of others, will just not be enough. We have already some how decided Herrera is not good enough to partner Pogba in longer run, and yet we are OK to think Matic is as good as he can be. How can we be so stupid and also think we the fans know everything about what is wrong about United. This Matic debacle alone makes me feel very very disillusioned.

Based entirely on the Leicester game Fred looks more like the Matic competition than Pereira. Bringing the ball forward, getting about the pitch, reading danger and strong tackling are all the hallmarks of what made Matic so great at Chelsea, and what Fred showed us. Pereira at the moment is a different player.

I think we will see a bit of rotation with all 3 this season. Matic and Fred will start tougher games with Pogba, Pereira will start games where we expect to dominate midfield and one of Matic/Fred will be benched.

Darlington Padgett

Yep.

Worth mentioning the difference with our other contracts, because in his last extension Andreas negotiated so both sides have the option extend. Our only contract like that. In other words, we can unilaterally extend his contract (like we do with other players) by 1 year but he can also unilaterally extend his contract too.

The only scenario where his contract would terminate next summer is if neither Andreas wanted to stay nor the club wanted to keep him (or even sell him). Otherwise his contract expires in 2020 for all intends and purposes.

I'm pretty sure we'll be negotiating a new contract with him by new year, the way things are going.
Let's hope we agree something with him. He has a great future and he's starting to show it for us.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Against 'smaller' teams, he's extremely valuable, as Pogba couldn't do everything by himself in midfield. He adds other dimension in creative passes to forwards.

He still needs to add more 'bites and roughness' on his play though, if he wants to play in big matches.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He's one of the players I love watching this season and see how he develops. He worked hard and now is willing to take his chance, which is great to see

United_We_Stand

"Despite being born in Belgium, the midfielder is the son of a Brazilian couple..
Andreas has played for Belgium’s U-15, U-16 and U-17 levels, but then changed teams, having featured for Brazil’s U-20 and U-23 teams.
..according to outlet UOL this Wednesday he was watched by manager Roberto Martinez during Manchester United’s match against Leicester City last week, and could be called up in the next few days.
UOL claims that according to people close to the player, Andreas’ preference is to play for Brazil"

Status
Not open for further replies.