5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaquinJoaquin

How the hell is McTominay getting games ahead of him when Pereira is on another planet in terms of ability?
I can understand against Watford why, as Scott is taller and more of a presence. In no other games though should McTominay ever get picked over Pereira.

Greck

Will be interesting to see where he sees his minutes this season. We don't really rotate established first teamers. Between Fellaini, Mctominay and Fred on the bench he's behind two Jose favourites and one new signing. That's without factoring Herrera. I'd have loaned him again but what do I know

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He'll certainly play quite a bit this season, I think the subbing at half time vs Brighton paints a much different picture than it actually is.

We changed half the side for the game against Spurs, and then Watford and Burnley have been perfect for Fellaini to come in and perform the role he has. Think Fellaini has got motm in both games actually so you can't exactly say Mourinho has got it wrong.

Lookatu

If he changed his name to Andrew Perry nobody would give a monkeys as to why he didn't play in a game that we won against a side that hadnt lost yet.
I thought mourinho got everything right on the day really and mctominay being both better in the air and more defensively minded are the rather obvious reasons that he played over Andreas.
He will get chances in games that suit his style.
Don't expect to see him against the likes of Watford, Cardiff, Burnley or Brighton though.

Grande

If he changed his name to Andrew Perry nobody would give a monkeys as to why he didn't play in a game that we won against a side that hadnt lost yet.
I thought mourinho got everything right on the day really and mctominay being both better in the air and more defensively minded are the rather obvious reasons that he played over Andreas.
He will get chances in games that suit his style.
Don't expect to see him against the likes of Watford, Cardiff, Burnley or Brighton though.
Regardless of his name, Pereira is a player I hope will succeed because I love the way he plays when he plays well, and what it does to the way the team plays. However, I think Mourinho’s choices around him this month is vindicated by the team’s performances.

Our best (and most exciting) football has come without him. First half against Spurs, Burnley, and first half against Watford has been mostly very good quality. For all the talk of slowness and lack of dynamism being Matic and Fellaini’s weaknesses, we have played fast and dynamic with the two in midfield, mostly because it allows others to bomb a bit more forward, and we win the ball hugher up the pitch, but also because they make good choices on the ball and perform them mostly very well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How the hell is McTominay getting games ahead of him when Pereira is on another planet in terms of ability?
McTominay was more useful to us against Burnely and Watford who are both physical sides. I'd be very surprised if we didn't see Pereira against either Derby, Wolves or Young Boys even if it is a limited capacity.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
McTominay was more useful to us against Burnely and Watford who are both physical sides. I'd be very surprised if we didn't see Pereira against either Derby, Wolves or Young Boys even if it is a limited capacity.
Except McTominay wasn't useful against Watford. He came on and was literally more useful to watford than us.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hope he gets a chance against Young Boys. His style is much more suited to the European game IMO.

MadMike

I expect both him and Fred to play against Young Boys. One of them starting for sure and maybe the other one coming from the bench.

I reckon Matic will play full 90, since he's banned for the next league game. So I think we'll see Matic-Fred-Pogba with Pereira getting subbed on for Pogba with 25 mins to go if all is going well. Fellaini will only come on if things are not going well and we start lumping balls into the box, otherwise I expect him to get rested.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
That’s because he played poorly, not because he lacked the physical attributes in the first place.
That's because he's a shit footballer. He does lack them anyway. Being tall doesn't make you strong or good in the air or good defensively. Being tall doesn't make you Fellaini, an actual good footballer who is twice the player McTominay will ever be.

MadMike

That's because he's a shit footballer. He does lack them anyway. Being tall doesn't make you strong or good in the air or good defensively. Being tall doesn't make you Fellaini, an actual good footballer who is twice the player McTominay will ever be.
I've learned to refrain from making very bold predictions about players' future ever since Darren Fletcher (who I thought as little of back when he started, as I do with McTominay now) went on to be a hugely useful player for us. But the current status of McTominay is that he's not good enough technically for our level.

If and when he improves the question of his usefulness might be more pertinent. But on current level, I reckon he should be going on loan. Both Axel Tuanzebe and Tim Fosu-Mensah are more talented and yet they're trying to earn their spurs by getting minutes elsewhere.

Ekeke

McTominay is fine technically. He just doesnt have anywhere near enough effectiveness for his type of player. He's a taller Cleverley.

As for Pereira he can count himself extremely unlucky that he has a manager who's main metric of whether a player is worthy of starting is how tall they are.

MadMike

McTominay is fine technically. He just doesnt have anywhere near enough effectiveness for his type of player. He's a taller Cleverley.

As for Pereira he can count himself extremely unlucky that he has a manager who's main metric of whether a player is worthy of starting is how tall they are.
But lack of effectiveness is a symptom, not a cause. It could be because of a lack of skill / talent, awareness, confidence , aggression etc. We know physically he has all the attributes but for me technically he’s not all there.

He plays it very safe all the time with sideways passes and he still gets it wrong fairly often.

Anyway I’ll try to refrain from derailing the thread any further. This should be about Pereira and I reckon he’ll in the CL game against Young Boys

Ekeke

But lack of effectiveness is a symptom, not a cause. It could be because of a lack of skill / talent, awareness, confidence , aggression etc. We know physically he has all the attributes but for me technically he’s not all there.

He plays it very safe all the time with sideways passes and he still gets it wrong fairly often.

Anyway I’ll try to refrain from derailing the thread any further. This should be about Pereira and I reckon he’ll in the CL game against Young Boys
Well its a symptom of not being good enough at his young age. In his first match he made a lot of tackles and some interceptions, but played very simple passes. I believe thats the type of CM he's supposed to be. Like a taller Ander.

But since he doesnt win those balls anymore when he plays, he's more like Cleverley being just a simple passer.

andycolegangstainnit

For me he's a nice technical player. He's behind Pogba, Matic & Fred and i don't think he'll ever reach their standard. He just doesns't influence things enough for me. i can see him playing minor games but he's got to really step-up to be part of the first team conversation on a regular basis.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
For me he's a nice technical player. He's behind Pogba, Matic & Fred and i don't think he'll ever reach their standard. He just doesns't influence things enough for me. i can see him playing minor games but he's got to really step-up to be part of the first team conversation on a regular basis.
he spent playing as DLP exactly about 8 games in both preseasons, this and last year under Mourinho and a cup game under Van Gaal. How the feck do you want a player to be so influential when he he just started to play that role. I think in preseason he was decent and even his first game for us, unlucky to be subbed in his last Prem game. However majority of his career he spent playing on the wing or as an AM, adapting to a new role so quickly I think is quite remarkable and shows that he's got ability to play there at 22, besides I haven't seen Pogba controlling midfield against top sides either, he's got a great pass here and there but hardly we win the midfield battle with him in the side. Pereira shouldn't be even behind Fred, who hasn't shown nothing to be ahead of him. He just cost 50m so there is a big pressure to play him. But there is a lot of baffling decisions by Mourinho who will struggle to make top4 this year playing mediocre players like Fellaini or subpar (and I am being nice) McTominay instead of potentially great footballers who can offer more now and in the very near future if played regularly

andycolegangstainnit

I just think he'll never become the standard of Pogba, Matic & Fred. I hope I'm wrong. Those guys have assets. Not sure what Pereira brings to the table. I really hope he gets a chance against Young Boys though.

Young Boys 0:3 Man Utd

Red-17

Surely he has to start at the weekend. I don't care if it's as a holding player or more forward like tonight. Should be Pogba, Fellaini, and Pereira in midfield. He is such a positive influence whenever he gets the ball. Always gets his head up and at least looks for an incisive pass unlike a few too many of our players.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Surely he has to start at the weekend. I don't care if it's as a holding player or more forward like tonight. Should be Pogba, Fellaini, and Pereira in midfield. He is such a positive influence whenever he gets the ball. Always gets his head up and at least looks for an incisive pass unlike a few too many of our players.
He won’t. I agree that he should though. He just oozes class on the ball.

el3mel

Liked the look of him in an advanced area. He should be the direct Pogba sub there.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I was glad to see him pushed up into a more advanced role when he came on today. I was getting a bit worried that Jose had him pigeonholed purely as a deep-lying playmaker and wouldn't play him anywhere else, but the fact he did well in that role should help him get more gametime going forward. He should probably be the first choice Pogba replacement, while also being right in the running for the other two roles in midfield (perhaps also taking Mata's role of wide playmaker who drifts in).

Great lil cameo - he's such a positive player always looking to pass the ball forward and good at retaining possession. I hope he at least makes the bench for the next game.

Ekeke

I think he should be firmly in front of Fred in the pecking order for the next run of games or at least until proven that he shouldnt be. He's shown this season that not only is he good on the ball, he can actually win it a fair bit and is in fact in the top 5 for interceptions per game this season from a CM/DM. Now obviously he made those interceptions from the DM position but if Matic can be bumped up one to the LCM position, then there is no reason why Andreas shouldnt be bumped up to the RCM position as he suits it far more.

Dan_F

I trust him more than Fred, right now, certainly.
Seems like we could have just spent the 50 million on a decent centre back. Fred and Pereria look very similarly matched in terms of position and skill set. Although, Hopefully. we haven’t seen anywhere near the best of Fred yet.

luke511

I love how focused he is in driving the ball forward, having Matic behind him really helped as well. He's the DLP we've been missing since Scholes left, I'm not saying he's anywhere near that level but he has that tidiness about him that none of our other players have.

Devil may care

Good 15 minutes for him but I felt he should have been on much earlier, and I think he should start over Fred at the weekend.

Bola

He came on when Young Boys had burnt themselves out, but I was very impressed by his performance. Everything he did seemed to be very positive and he appeared to be popping up everywhere for the ball.

CM is the most competitive area of the pitch for us now, so it is a big ask to expect him to be a starter. However, i think he is a must for our matchday squad - a very tidy player with great versatility.

Question for the Caf - do you think he could do a job in the attacking right position of our 433 formation?

By far our weakest position and although Lingard is probably 1st choice here, it's a position that can be Improved on.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He turns players for fun. Could be a very useful player in transition.

Red-17

He came on when Young Boys had burnt themselves out, but I was very impressed by his performance. Everything he did seemed to be very positive and he appeared to be popping up everywhere for the ball.

CM is the most competitive area of the pitch for us now, so it is a big ask to expect him to be a starter. However, i think he is a must for our matchday squad - a very tidy player with great versatility.

Question for the Caf - do you think he could do a job in the attacking right position of our 433 formation?

By far our weakest position and although Lingard is probably 1st choice here, it's a position that can be Improved on.
I can't see how he wouldn't at least be better than Mata in that role. He'd certainly at least allow us to keep control of the ball more than when we play Rashford out right. He also has quite a good cross which Lukaku could benefit from.

I think he's more suited to a midfield role because he doesn't have the out and out pace to be an elite winger, but certainly more than serviceable.

haram

We have some nice options in midfield, Herrera not even getting a sniff atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.