5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janson

We've literally just won 3 games on the bounce scoring 4 a ganme with 3 academy players starting.
I understand your pessimism and it has some merit, but right now is literally the worst time to say it out loud.
It's never really a good time. People like to dream, I'm just trying to be realistic. You have countless posters screaming for youngsters to start before every game. And it almost never happens for a reason.

Janson

Please familiarise yourself with the history of the club in full before making another post.
Ok so let's get all the youngsters starting and they'll turn in to the class of 92. Then we'll beat City who bought all the best players out there.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Lukaku is more proven. Is he not?
Who do you prefer as a player? Do you enjoy watching Lukaku struggle to control a ball? Rashford is far from the finished article but I have no real desire to watch Lukaku struggle to control a football.

Janson

You want to drop the player in form for Lukaku? Anyway each to their own
He is still our best striker, Rashford will get his chances. That just my opinion. You also don't have a striker you paid that much for on the bench because Rashford had had three good games.

Last edited:

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Ok so let's get all the youngsters starting and they'll turn in to the class of 92. Then we'll beat City who bought all the best players out there.
I didn't say that. It's not a matter of playing a team of JUST youngsters. I was just jesting. United has always had a culture of mixing youth and proven quality. I don't know why we should move away from it now

Janson

Who do you prefer as a player? Do you enjoy watching Lukaku struggle to control a ball? Rashford is far from the finished article but I have no real desire to watch Lukaku struggle to control a football.
That's a problem sure, but I still think Lukaku is the superior goalscorer. I believe he will get goals in this setup.

Janson

I didn't say that. It's not a matter of playing a team of JUST youngsters. I was just jesting. United has always had a culture of mixing youth and proven quality. I don't know why we should move away from it now
I just don't think we can afford to give time to youngsters today if we want to compete.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I just don't think we can afford to give time to youngsters today if we want to compete.
Guess that where we disagree then. If you're good enough, you're old enough so to speak. Rashford was good enough, Welbeck probably was (but has injury problems and was more suited to playing as a winger). United has a culture of playing youth , long before SAF arrived, and I hope it continues.

Janson

Guess that where we disagree then. If you're good enough, you're old enough so to speak. Rashford was good enough, Welbeck probably was (but has injury problems and was more suited to playing as a winger). United has a culture of playing youth , long before SAF arrived, and I hope it continues.
Given how we have fallen after SAF, right now I am most concerned with winning again. I'm really not convinced with Rashford either tbh. There seems to be a lot of recency bias with him.

Loublaze

ATLien
If LVG didn't have the balls to play an 18 year old Rashford against Arsenal he might still be in the youth ranks waiting for a promotion to the first team. Some youngsters are deserving of chances to impress in the first team. Its the United way.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Given how we have fallen after SAF, right now I am most concerned with winning again. I'm really convinced with Rashford either tbh. There seems to be a lot of recency bias with him.
United have been relegated and had far worse. I can tolerate a few more losses for a return to good football. Especially this season

redcafe_reader

To be fair to @Janson , besides class of 92, all our other successful teams under SAF bought core players from elsewhere. We didn't do a good job with our academy for a long time until now.

However, playing Lukaku over Rashford is a bad idea. Rashford should start not because we favor our youth but because he's better.

staniswin

I guess you have being watching him since he was 14?
Not even in the squad today. if you keep getting benched over 31 finished robot slow static ,under young attacking progressive modern manager i think there are bigger chance for you to survive under zombie outbreak than him making it here.

Pace Abuser

It's never really a good time. People like to dream, I'm just trying to be realistic. You have countless posters screaming for youngsters to start before every game. And it almost never happens for a reason.
I agree. The doe eyed optimism is a bit much. But you're at the other end of the extreme. Your opinion on Rashford is equally as absurd.

RedDevil@84

Given how we have fallen after SAF, right now I am most concerned with winning again. I'm really not convinced with Rashford either tbh. There seems to be a lot of recency bias with him.
Basically "You can't win anything with kids"

Janson

If LVG didn't have the balls to play an 18 year old Rashford against Arsenal he might still be in the youth ranks waiting for a promotion to the first team. Some youngsters are deserving of chances to impress in the first team. Its the United way.
I think you really need to be a special talent to get the chance at a club that's competing with the best in the world. I'm not really convinced by Rashford either. Martial is the only one who really seems like he can turn in to a world class players, out of our youngsters.

ChaddyP

Why though? If they can prove themselves elsewhere, then they can come back.
Why can't they prove themselves here? I have no problem with sending them on loan but if they are good enough they should play no matter the age.
Saying you're not a fan of youngsters is. Just absurd.

Janson

United have been relegated and had far worse. I can tolerate a few more losses for a return to good football. Especially this season
Well yeah, if you're in a situation like we are now, then maybe we can afford it. But even then, we're still probably trying to get top 4.

RedDevil@84

Has anyone got around to finding out what is Pereira's best position? And is he better than the options available.
All this "If he is good enough, he is old enough" only comes into the picture if he is doing better than others in training. Else he ll continue getting minutes every now and then by coming on after 75 mins.

Janson

Why can't they prove themselves here? I have no problem with sending them on loan but if they are good enough they should play no matter the age.
Saying you're not a fan of youngsters is. Just absurd.
Because it will probably be at the expense of playing well and winning. That's why you loan players. If your a special talent than yes but how often does that happen?

Janson

I agree. The doe eyed optimism is a bit much. But you're at the other end of the extreme. Your opinion on Rashford is equally as absurd.
Maybe it's extreme, I just don't thing that's the best route to success with all the money being thrown around by top clubs. I've never been convinced by Rashford. He has been massively inconsistent and he kept getting abused because Jose prefered him over Martial. Now suddenly after three good games, he's suddenly supposed to be the solution.

ChaddyP

Because it will probably be at the expense of playing well and winning. That's why you loan players. If your a special talent than yes but how often does that happen?
We don't always need a squad of the best of the best of the best. Why do they need to be world class? There is no team with a bunch of world class talent. Even class of 92 which is so well thought if had neville brothers and Nicky butt who aren't exactly the best in the business. "young players in the team will be at the expense of playing well? " Says who, we have showed that not to be the case hundreds of times. What you're saying is completely devoid of facts and reality

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
This youth v established player policy should maybe be made into a new thread after the game? Would certainly be interesting.

For me there is nothing more exciting than either bringing through or buying an exciting young player like Martial. Buying players over 25 is fine and required for team balanced but doesn’t fill me with any excitement personally.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
This youth v established player policy should maybe be made into a new thread after the game? Would certainly be interesting.

For me there is nothing more exciting than either bringing through or buying an exciting young player like Martial. Buying players over 25 is fine and required for team balanced but doesn’t fill me with any excitement personally.
I'm in the middle of creating a thread for it.

RedDevil@84

Maybe it's extreme, I just don't thing that's the best route to success with all the money being thrown around by top clubs. I've never been convinced by Rashford. He has been massively inconsistent and he kept getting abused because Jose prefered him over Martial. Now suddenly after three good games, he's suddenly supposed to be the solution.
Rashford may not be the solution. But shouldn't we at least give him an opportunity to play in an attacking system and see if he could be the solution?
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Rashford should be given undeserving reserved spots in the team forever. But he should be given a chance to prove himself.

Lukaku and Sanchez will also get theirs. And it is up to them to grab the opportunity and keep Rashford out of the team.

Web of Bissaka

If you're gonna be playing a bunch of kids then you're rebuilding. So obviously you wouldn't even be expecting to win, but to develop the players.
Sounds too simplistic and divisive, yet on the contrary, Ferguson did a well-balanced of both still winning and rebuilding/developing players.

Not including the C92, there's O'Shea, Fletcher, Rafael/Fabio, Evans, etc. That's just from our youth. Examples can also be made of us buying young players who haven't developed yet when they joined eg. Ronaldo, Rooney, De Gea.

Counter argument can also be made that's SAF, post-SAF is different... and yet, LVG and Mourinho still won things with a mix of both established players and young players.

Doesn't have to be just one of the two ain't it.

Janson

Rashford may not be the solution. But shouldn't we at least give him an opportunity to play in an attacking system and see if he could be the solution?
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Rashford should be given undeserving reserved spots in the team forever. But he should be given a chance to prove himself.
I don't think he should not play at all. Just that we should give Lukaku a chance to prove himself like the others who underperformed under Mourinho, and Rashford obviously should get the chance if Lukaku is still the same. We payed a lot of money for him, and he is a proven player. He should get the benefit of the doubt like Sanchez did based on reputation.

Janson

Sounds too simplistic and divisive, yet on the contrary, Ferguson did a well-balanced of both still winning and rebuilding/developing players.

Not including the C92, there's O'Shea, Fletcher, Rafael/Fabio, Evans, etc. That's just from our youth. Examples can also be made of us buying young players who haven't developed yet when they joined eg. De Gea.

Counter argument can also be made that's SAF, post-SAF is different... and yet, LVG and Mourinho still won things with a mix of both established players and young players.

Doesn't have to be just one of the two ain't it.
Yeah but that's incredibly difficult to acheive while still winning. How many players from their own academy are playing for the top teams in the PL right now?

Anyway, someone said they were creating a thread on this. So let's not derail this further.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Will probably net his first start against Reading. It’s really hard to see him doing enough to cement a spot, though.

Does his contract expire this summer or do we have an option for another year?

Status
Not open for further replies.