Andreas Pereira

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
He hasn't impressed me for the last couple of season.
Both Rothwell and Pearson has been better and more consistent than him last year + this season..
Pereira's been more consistent than Pearson this season. He's less patchy in terms of influencing games now.

jb8521

I have no idea what to think about this kid. Usually when there's buzz you look at the player and you can see 'it'. In the last year everyone hass looked at Mats, Adnan, Wilson, Powell and you see them running the pitch or scoring from 30 yards. With this kid I just cannot see the impressive part of his game, for me looks like Rothwell is the more impressive attacking CM in that young team
He does both of these things quite regularly to be fair its his consistency and drifting in and out of games which has been questioned but hes improving these recently

Crashoutcassius

He does both of these things quite regularly to be fair its his consistency and drifting in and out of games which has been questioned but hes improving these recently
I've watched him and watched a lot of highlights and he almost never seems to. He has one very famous goal but most of his shooting seems to be wasteful and most of his runs seem directionless. I'm not battering him, just wondering what I've missed and where the hype is from

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Fantastic free kick taker, scored from them regularly in the U18s, wonderful control of the curl.

Visionary passer and has the quick thinking to play quick passing football.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Looks like a great player, should be taken on pre-season next year with the senior squad if he's ready, with players like this being 18, it's going to be 5-6 years before he's developed to near his potential but the academy seems to be churning out some very good prospects recently.

Last edited:

Ekeke

Worthy of cameo appearances I'd say, this boy has something about him. Sometimes with younger players, you just need to take a risk otherwise they're never going to be able to reach their potential.. see Pogba.
Pogba showed a number of things, not just the occasional brilliant longshot

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's got much more than a good shot. He's been far more involved this season, and is the go to guy for the 21s. I doubt that anyone on our team has as many touches on the ball as him. I think it says a lot about a player when he is the first one his teammates look for when he has the ball.

Anyway, I think he has a bit of everything. He can dribble when needed, pass it simple or more expansively, tackle, and shoot well. There was one run in the last game when he ran through about 4 players with some great skill, then checked back and hit a curling chip that was inches past the post. He has something about him, and providing he's develped as an 8, and stays clear of injury, he'll be in the next group up.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He's got much more than a good shot. He's been far more involved this season, and is the go to guy for the 21s. I doubt that anyone on our team has as many touches on the ball as him. I think it says a lot about a player when he is the first one his teammates look for when he has the ball.

Anyway, I think he has a bit of everything. He can dribble when needed, pass it simple or more expansively, tackle, and shoot well. There was one run in the last game when he ran through about 4 players with some great skill, then checked back and hit a curling chip that was inches past the post. He has something about him, and providing he's develped as an 8, and stays clear of injury, he'll be in the next group up.
The thing is can he continue to develop at senior level? some players get promoted and never really raise their game, they end up shying away because they're against men not boys anymore.

What I see from Pereira is a good player sometimes his passing is not 100% but he's creative and definitely improvises well, his decision making isn't always brilliant, but going to senior level and learning to pass better by watching Rooney pass, and Mata and Carrick teaching him, it would be a good influence for him.

Obviously he has the raw potential, but he needs to work hard every day in training the question with young talent like this is where is their ceiling as a player, how does the player handle pressure situations like big games, I wouldn't say from what I've seen of Pereira he's going to be world-class unless his decision making grows as it surely will do, but recently turned 18... 2 months ago, brilliant prospect.

I don't think the club should rush him at all, obviously we've lost players like Dæhli and Pogba already, he'll be a player that can be moulded into a few roles, I think given that it's march if he is in the Managers plans, there'd be no harm him training with the Senior team for the next few months but playing for the U21 still.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Sounds like a sensible lad with both feet firmly on the ground.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Is he ready yet? I'm banking on him to make up for Morrisson in the "telling other people about a wunderkind before they make it so I seem like I know what I'm talking about" stakes.

Loublaze

ATLien
I have high hopes for this kid. His ability on the ball is nothing short of fantastic! Take on preseason. Maybe a loan to a championship side next season could be in the offing. Cardiff City maybe? If Ole remains in charge.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Is he ready yet? I'm banking on him to make up for Morrisson in the "telling other people about a wunderkind before they make it so I seem like I know what I'm talking about" stakes.
Try a scattergun approach, one of Him, Rothwell, Pearson or Wilson will come good.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Try a scattergun approach, one of Him, Rothwell, Pearson or Wilson will come good.
I think it's Pereira personally, he has something about him, just I think these kinds of players need to be pushed to the senior level in a years time, because then they can stay behind after training with the likes of Rooney, and Mata and other players who can help them with passing and attacking play and help them develop to reach that level.

In the academy you are playing against your own age, or 3 years older, and you don't really learn until you play with and against the best, you look at the likes of how Gotze came through he had to deal with that early on in his career, and I think players in english football face sometimes a slightly harder task of being young, not having filled out body wise so they don't have the physicality for the premier league so those players are often protected, like Januzaj is now, it's risk and reward.

No harm in making the four you mentioned being pushed into the senior training sessions though.

PS18

Think it's a given that they and a number of others have trained with the first team pretty often.

JackXX

Great goal. Of the current crop of U21s he's my favourite. I think he has so much talent.

Brightonian

It was a classic Pereira performance. Couldn't get himself in the game much before the goal. Then a beautiful strike produced as if it was the easiest thing in the world, and after that he was superb. A class above the opposition technically. He and Lawrence treated Liverpool's right wing like a playground in the second half.

He'll come good with the consistency and application, it's his age that gives him trouble with that. And when he comes good, he'll come really, really good.

Shame that gif doesn't catch Rothwell's assist, it was a sharp little pass.

Bwuk

I'd give him a chance now. We have nothing to play for anymore, and he can't do any worse.

jb8521

I'd give him a chance now. We have nothing to play for anymore, and he can't do any worse.
Theres plenty of players who deserve a chance ahead of him. Hes been lucky to keep his place in the under 21 team after 4 or 5 poor performances

Bwuk

He's nowhere near that. If Mata struggles to find 40 minutes of influence, Pereira will struggle to get 2
Could he not play deeper? I've only seen him a handful of times.

Ekeke

Could he not play deeper? I've only seen him a handful of times.
Oh ok. Well yes but he's not even our best cm in the under 21s. He has a lot of work to do on his general game although he clearly has a special shot so perhaps you could argue that bringing him off the bench and telling him to have a couple of shots might work out.

LR7

Watching that it looked as though Liverpool were very lucky to finish the game with 11 men, or was the hacking not as bad as it looked.
I think both teams went full-blooded into challenges at times tbh.

Brightonian

Watching that it looked as though Liverpool were very lucky to finish the game with 11 men, or was the hacking not as bad as it looked.
It was a feisty game, but they did get away with a lot of bad ones on Pereira specifically. In the second half he was beating the 'pool RB at will, and got hacked a lot as a consequence.

Also, I particularly noticed (as did the commentators) Lawrence getting a yellow for what looked like an absolutely brilliant and very much under-control slide-tackle, but a Liverpool player producing almost exactly the same tackle and getting away scot free only a few minutes later.

jb8521

Pereira has been called up to the Brazil under 20 squad for the first time

Conrad

He's both but like you i thought he had declares for Belgium.
He played for Belgium at the lower youth levels but recently he's made it clear that he would prefer to play for Brazil and knocked back any further Belgium call ups.

Dante

Average bang
He must believe he has a chance to make it big then. That's either a sign of supreme confidence in himself or from his coaches/advisers. Either way, it makes me think that people in the know reckon he's got what it takes.

LR7

I think he said he felt more Brazilian which is fair enough.

Brightonian

He must believe he has a chance to make it big then. That's either a sign of supreme confidence in himself or from his coaches/advisers. Either way, it makes me think that people in the know reckon he's got what it takes.
Possibly, but he might just be making the decision because Brazil feels like his home nation. Some players make this decision based on what they think will benefit them most, but plenty just pick the country that feels right. I mean, if I was a pro footballer I'd technically qualify to play for Scotland as well as England. But even though I'd have a better chance of getting into Scotland's team, I still wouldn't accept call-ups, because I don't think of myself as Scottish.