Andy "Big Baby" Robertson

Adnan

Talent Spotter
When first seeing him play for Liverpool I couldn't see any improvement on Moreno tbh. However since then I don't remember ever seeing such a player development. He's upp at word class level ffs! Maybe we could step in for Moreno now. A very good natural left-footed attacking full back who imo has been getting far too much stick from the Liverpool fans and better than anything we've got!
Why don't we go for Tierney instead, many people in Scotland rate him as just as good as Robertson potentially and some even say will be better.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He is very poor at defending balls to the back post, isn’t he? Arsenal exposed it tonight and he was very, very lucky to get away with a poor defensive clearance v Wolves from a similar cross when Gibbs-White should’ve scored.

Last edited:

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
He isn’t, he is just having a bad game which isn’t normal for him
I’m fairly certain he offered up a chance in a Champions League recently as well under the same type of cross. It’s something I’ve noticed creep into his game of late (or maybe it was always there and I haven’t noticed).

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
He is very poor at defending balls to the back post, isn’t he? Arsenal exposed it tonight and he was very, very lucky to get away with a poor defensive clearance v Wolves from a similar cross when Gibbs-White should’ve scored.
He really isn't. But he is knackered. Needs a proper rest.

Bwuk

Because he’s got such a high starting position that ball in behind will always be a risk.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Klopp obviously has him starting as high up the pitch as possible so he can’t do it all
I agree, bit like when people used to say Dani Alves was poor defensively. If his job was to sit back and defend he would be fine, someone who is covering this much ground is unlikely to be perfect all the time defensively.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Total and utter bargain at 12m.

Deals I like to see in Football when incredibly average players go for 30-40m.

Nice to see a Scottish player at a top club aswell. Scots and Irish used to be key players in all the top clubs in the 70-80s (fair few Welsh aswell). Shows how much football has changed in England.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I agree, bit like when people used to say Dani Alves was poor defensively. If his job was to sit back and defend he would be fine, someone who is covering this much ground is unlikely to be perfect all the time defensively.
Well yes it's unrealistic to expect a full-back to be in two places at once. He cannot be high up the flank to open the park when Liverpool have the ball and then expect to be in line with the CBs 25 yards behind him when the ball is turned over. Blame for the goal is more systematic in that it rests as much with the failure of Liverpool / Trent to keep the ball on the right and Klopp in his positioning of the team.

That said, haven't seen a proper replay of the goal that shows Robertson's positioning when the ball is turned over and in fairness Maitland-Niles covers a lot of ground.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Nice to see a Scottish player at a top club aswell. Scots and Irish used to be key players in all the top clubs in the 70-80s (fair few Welsh aswell). Shows how much football has changed in England.
We've actually never won a league without a scot in the team. Should have bought some of them more frequently

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Someone update the thread title please

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
We've actually never won a league without a scot in the team. Should have bought some of them more frequently
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Quick, let’s get him injured!!

Nah seriously, fantastic player. There is much regular wailing from Hull City fans that we let him go so cheaply

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
When first seeing him play for Liverpool I couldn't see any improvement on Moreno tbh. However since then I don't remember ever seeing such a player development. He's upp at word class level ffs! Maybe we could step in for Moreno now. A very good natural left-footed attacking full back who imo has been getting far too much stick from the Liverpool fans and better than anything we've got!
Not sure if serious.

Charles Miller

He was going to attack in the moment of that first goal. Its the agressive tactic of the team. Its always a risk when you demand the full backs to attack all the time. The problem was that the CB gave the ball to the adversary when Robertson was out of position.

Despite that goal he was one the best in the game. I dont know why people are saying he was poor.

Albert@13

Supports
Liverpool
It is interesting that in each of that last 3 summer transfer windows, Liverpool had signed one player from a relegated club (Wijnaldum, Robertson and Shaqiri). And each time, appeared to have no competition for the signature from any of the so called but six.

and two of them have been fairly low risk signings. The combined cost of the three was about £45m, which is chump change for a big six club. That, more than anything, has allowed Liverpool to really splash the cash on the big "statement" signings. It is easy to see how Liverpool could easily have spent a fortune on similarly good players, and then had to compromise on a goalkeeper or CB.

Ban

Him being the best LB in the world doing the rounds on Facebook. It's Facebook though so wouldn't take those comments seriously.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Can't speak for best in the world because I don't watch the other contenders enough (Alaba, Alba, Alex Sandro I guess? With Marcelo on a sharp decline) but he's definitely the best in the league and if he continues to be this good for another season or so he'll be in that discussion, deservedly.

Has everything you'd want in a modern fullback. He never stops running and it so rarely seems like a wide player has the beating of him, but he also combines that with great attacking output (quality delivery on him), it was honestly the best transfer Liverpool have done, all the hype goes to VVD/Alisson but this guy is on that level but for a fraction of the price. Quality fullbacks are hard to find and they picked up one who is only 24 for peanuts, seriously wish we had at least been in for him.

From what I have seen of Alba, he seems incredible going forward and a huge asset for Barca in the final third, but I prefer Robertson as the full package. Liverpool getting the trio of him, Alisson and VVD in such a short space of time completely transformed their defence, sure you also had a shift in the way they play but they were such huge upgrades.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Sandro is well up there. Like with all positions of the pitch not occupied by Messi & Ronaldo, I don't think there's a major difference between any of the top players, really. The gap between a Sandro, Alba, Robertson, the gap between a Neuer, DDG, Ter Stergen, the gap between a VVD, Koulibaly, etc - They're small, narrow gaps, and peoples perceptions will change the second one has a slightly better game than the other.

tomaldinho1

It just shows how much difference it makes playing in a fully functioning team and having a clear way of playing. It's not like he arrived and was a good player, he's become a good player in this system due to knuckling down. Seems a very good find.

Guarantee if Mou had signed him we'd have ruined him

Bwuk

It just shows how much difference it makes playing in a fully functioning team and having a clear way of playing. It's not like he arrived and was a good player, he's become a good player in this system due to knuckling down. Seems a very good find.

Doubtful - Mou would of loved him.

Robertson has an amazing attitude and application. Would run through brick walls, and loves a battle on the pitch.

He’s the best left back in the league comfortably. If only Shaw had his attitude.

tomaldinho1

Doubtful - Mou would of loved him.

Robertson has an amazing attitude and application. Would run through brick walls, and loves a battle on the pitch.

He’s the best left back in the league comfortably. If only Shaw had his attitude.
I think you're forgetting he wouldn't have been allowed past the half way line. Interestingly, if you look at his stats he's actually defensively pretty similar to Shaw:

Shaw is slightly better aerially, Robertson has a higher tackle success, Shaw makes more clearances, Robertson slight more interceptions - I'd say defensively it's all relatively similar aside (particularly bearing in mind how bad a back 4 we were at the start of the season) from recoveries where Robertson is actually comfortably ahead of VVD even with a whopping 138 this season. Massive difference is the offensive side, which is why Robertson is pretty complete as a FB, he blows Shaw out of the water when it comes to chance creation, crosses and assists. How much of this is down to tactics is hard to say but maybe if we track Shaw vs Robertson from post Ole appointment it will be interesting to see come end of season.

FYI I think Robertson is a better FB but certain tactics suit certain players and I don't think Robertson would have done anywhere near as well under Mou compared to under Klopp. which is a criticism of Mou, not Robertson's abilities.

Mr PG

This guy has unbelievable energy. Reminds me of evra in that sense. He’s the kante of defenders.

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
We are very lucky with Robbo. Would be nice if we had a few more players with this attitude and mindset. He's a workhorse with great stamina and desire, very consistent, and he's actually quite good at football. Likable guy as well, rather down to earth as per his interviews at least, and I don't remember any controversial situations that would make oppo fans hate on him. Very popular among our fans as well.
Can't say he's best in the world, don't watch enough, but he's obviously very good.

Ekeke

He looked good going forward back at Hull so I'm not sure its some huge transformation. He's more well rounded now

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

I disagree, when he was at Hull I thought he'd go on to be one of the best LB's in the prem. He just went under the radar.

Last edited:

devlinadl

I think you're forgetting he wouldn't have been allowed past the half way line. Interestingly, if you look at his stats he's actually defensively pretty similar to Shaw:

Shaw is slightly better aerially, Robertson has a higher tackle success, Shaw makes more clearances, Robertson slight more interceptions - I'd say defensively it's all relatively similar aside (particularly bearing in mind how bad a back 4 we were at the start of the season) from recoveries where Robertson is actually comfortably ahead of VVD even with a whopping 138 this season. Massive difference is the offensive side, which is why Robertson is pretty complete as a FB, he blows Shaw out of the water when it comes to chance creation, crosses and assists. How much of this is down to tactics is hard to say but maybe if we track Shaw vs Robertson from post Ole appointment it will be interesting to see come end of season.

FYI I think Robertson is a better FB but certain tactics suit certain players and I don't think Robertson would have done anywhere near as well under Mou compared to under Klopp. which is a criticism of Mou, not Robertson's abilities.
Klopp pushes his full backs much further up the pitch compared to Mou. That flatters Robertson's offensive stats versus Shaw, but to the detriment of his defensive stats.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Andy Robertson on his new five-year deal: "It was a no-brainer for me – I want to stay here, so as soon as the club put an offer on the table it was signed as quickly as that... The
best thing about work is when you love coming in every day – and that’s what I do here."

Jürgen Klopp: “I think of all the contract renewals I have been involved with, this one was done in almost record time. He might be from Glasgow originally, but everything about him
screams Liverpool.”

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Andy Robertson on his new five-year deal: "It was a no-brainer for me – I want to stay here, so as soon as the club put an offer on the table it was signed as quickly as that... The
best thing about work is when you love coming in every day – and that’s what I do here."

Jürgen Klopp: “I think of all the contract renewals I have been involved with, this one was done in almost record time. He might be from Glasgow originally, but everything about him
screams Liverpool.”
Cringe.