Andy "Big Baby" Robertson

wythyred

And I highly doubt Andy Robertson once of relegated Hull City is one of the top 5 LB's in the world
I agree with Tommy.. Robertson is the best LB in the league and easily in the top 5 in Europe.

We should of been in for him but as usual with our transfer approach in recent years we only seem interested in commercial opportunities.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Absolute peach of a cross today. He is such a good crosser of the ball. Think he has some kinks to iron out defensively, but his energy and stamina tends to get him out of trouble sometimes. Will be one of the best left backs in Europe if he continues his form over another season.

ROFLUTION

And I highly doubt Andy Robertson once of relegated Hull City is one of the top 5 LB's in the world
I'm a United fan too but thats a really strange comment. Like saying David Beckham of Preston NE wouldnt become a great footballer. Robertson has probably been the best left back in the World this season. 10 (!) assists in the League in 32 GWs.

Armchair Manager

Supports
Northampton
Shaw definitely needs to add the numbers to his game. Worth remembering that Robertson has been playing in a very adventurous and free scoring team though whereas Shaw has been in a struggling team playing very defensive football.
You failed to mentioned, that Liverpool also has most clean sheets in the league. So robertson must be doing something right to contribute to that. In a system where both fullbacks bombard forward on every chance they get, defending is lot harder than defending in static systems such as used by LVG and Jose.

One misconception here is , that shaw is better in defensively but robertson is better offensively. So according to you, if you put shaw in liverpool's team, he will be able to contribute offensively but what about his defending? Shaw could barely finish a match in jose's system, system in which Man utd team was one of lowest teams to clock kms in game on average while liverpool under klopp has been in top 3.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
There's no doubt Shaw needs to do more in terms of his attacking play, he still seems hesitant at times to attack but come on at the end of the day this is his first full season in the 5 years here's been here and he barely played all that much for Southampton before that

'Potentially' Shaw is a lot better than Robertson
Robertson is better than shaw in every aspect of the game. And only a few months older. If Luke Shaw is your longterm lb, it will most likely mean you are not challenging for top honours.

Suedesi

Robertson is a great LB going forward, and I like his energy and work he puts into the field. However, I'm not sure about his defensive work, Gnabry gave him a very tough time recently. There was another CL match where the opposing team was just targeting him all game long and succeeding most of the time (PSG? Napoli?)

I think Klopp's system is making him look a lot better than he is.

Treble

Their unproductive midfield helps the defence big time and allows for the fullbacks to bomb forward time and again. He's an excellent fullback with outstanding work rate but the system really is designed for attacking fullbacks. Stop their fullbacks and they seem devoid of ideas.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
You failed to mentioned, that Liverpool also has most clean sheets in the league. So robertson must be doing something right to contribute to that. In a system where both fullbacks bombard forward on every chance they get, defending is lot harder than defending in static systems such as used by LVG and Jose.

One misconception here is , that shaw is better in defensively but robertson is better offensively. So according to you, if you put shaw in liverpool's team, he will be able to contribute offensively but what about his defending? Shaw could barely finish a match in jose's system, system in which Man utd team was one of lowest teams to clock kms in game on average while liverpool under klopp has been in top 3.
"According to me"? I said no such thing.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Robertson is great defensively. He's had about three iffy games since he came here.

People here just see him being good going forward and try their hand at claiming that at least Shaw is much better defensively since he's not all that going forwards.

simplyared

You cannot give the man enough praise. Absolutely brilliant in every aspect of the game. You can talk about the impact vDyke has had but there's a hell of a lot down to this guy behind the team's sucess so far. World class!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's a compliment to Liverpool's fullbacks that Spurs completely nullified them when they shut their fullback down.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Robertson is better than shaw in every aspect of the game. And only a few months older. If Luke Shaw is your longterm lb, it will most likely mean you are not challenging for top honours.
I’m a big fan of Robertson, he reminds me a lot of Denis Irwin but that sentence about Shaw is just bollox

Bwuk

I actually think Shaw is probably more talented, but Robertson works a lot harder, has a much better attitude and a lot more passion.

Robertson > Shaw any day of the week.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What a load of nonsense, not the first part, the last part. You play fecking Henderson, Milner, Lovren in your 11 and think Shaw is not good enough for challenging top honors.

Coxy

Balls. Yes Robertson is better, but Shaw is good enough for top honours

mancan92

RAWK levels of nonsense. Shaw is the best defensive LB in the league while Robertson is one of the worst.
what Robertson is one of the best defensive full backs. I love Shaw and he has shown great improvement but he isn't better than Robertson at any specific aspect. He has equal defensive ability but far worse attacking wise.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What a load of utter shite from start to finish

charlenefan

what Robertson is one of the best defensive full backs. I love Shaw and he has shown great improvement but he isn't better than Robertson at any specific aspect. He has equal defensive ability but far worse attacking wise.
He (Shaw) most certainly is better defensively. When have you ever seen Robertson completely pocket one of the best attacking players in the league like Shaw did to Salah a few weeks ago? Christ even Serge Gnabry had the beating of Robertson in both games against Bayern

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Robertson is great defensively. He's had about three iffy games since he came here.

People here just see him being good going forward and try their hand at claiming that at least Shaw is much better defensively since he's not all that going forwards.
Shaw is better defensively. Robertson is playing in a system that allows a lot more freedom for him to get forward. And he's outstanding at what he does, brilliant crosser of the ball.

However he wouldn't have the amount of assists he does playing for us tbh.

Shaw needs to improve in attack but has shown glimpses of good attacking play.

mancan92

He (Shaw) most certainly is better defensively. When have you ever seen Robertson completely pocket one of the best attacking players in the league like Shaw did to Salah a few weeks ago? Christ even Serge Gnabry had the beating of Robertson in both games against Bayern
Are you serious ?

Just against wolves Shaw got absolutely destroyed by jota. Its a pointless statement. Robertson very rarely is beaten same as Shaw and provides far better attacking. Its simply bias to imply Shaw is better defensively since Shaw also attacks less so of course he will be in position to defend more.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
What a load of nonsense, not the first part, the last part. You play fecking Henderson, Milner, Lovren in your 11 and think Shaw is not good enough for challenging top honors.
Fullbacks have become very important in the modern game. The needs. of a top club require attacking fullbacks over defensive ones. Literally all the starting fullbacks from the top 10 or so clubs are very attacking. Which is where Shaw is lacking. I think it will become apparent soon enough though.

coolredwine

lameredboots
If Luke Shaw is your longterm lb, it will most likely mean you are not challenging for top honours.
What? Shaw has also missed a fair few seasons due to injuries. Injuries which have put to rest few careers. Also, he has been playing under managers who have curbed Shaw's natural game. This is the first season in about 4 where has been playing consistently, even if hampered by Jose's tactics. If anything, he would be competing for top honors again once the team is settled again.

charlenefan

Are you serious ?

Just against wolves Shaw got absolutely destroyed by jota. Its a pointless statement. Robertson very rarely is beaten same as Shaw and provides far better attacking. Its simply bias to imply Shaw is better defensively since Shaw also attacks less so of course he will be in position to defend more.
By destroyed by Jota you mean on one occasion when he slipped?

So the definition of being destroyed is one thing happening in the entire 90 minutes?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fullbacks have become very important in the modern game. The needs. of a top club require attacking fullbacks over defensive ones. Literally all the starting fullbacks from the top 10 or so clubs are very attacking. Which is where Shaw is lacking. I think it will become apparent soon enough though.
City pissed on the league with Delph as their LB. Shaw doesn't lack attacking ability, he is good in build up play but poor in crossing.

Walker is main RB for city and he is hardly making attacking contribution.

So yeah, stand by my previous post.

Pennywise

Robertson is a far superior left back to Shaw. Shaw pre leg break looked like he was going to become a monster going forward. He's poor attacking now

Nick7

Robertson is a far superior left back to Shaw. Shaw pre leg break looked like he was going to become a monster going forward. He's poor attacking now
Shaw was never an attacking fullback, pre or post leg break.

charlenefan

You realise Shaw registered 1 PL assist in his entire Southampton career dont you?

Shaw has never been a get to the by line and throw crosses in like Robertson does. He's always been more technical in his attacking, dribbling with the ball taking players on and in terms of end product this is easily his most productive season to date. Stupid to say he's worse now than he was pre leg break

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s mega. I don’t think anyone really expected such growth from him coming from Hull, to be honest.

Him and TAA are such a menace offensively. No other team in the league has such impact from their fullbacks.

Infuriates me watching Young on our right hand side who only wants to lump the ball 60 yards forward than actually get into potent positions.

Canagel

Are people actually trying to compare Shaw to Robertson? :lol:
Robertson is on 9assists for this season only. Shaw probably has 6/7 in his whole career. And our fans went crazy after one through ball.
He did have offensive potential but since the njury he stopped attacking the outside making overlaps and putting balls in- instead I see him more as 3rd CB rather than top fullback.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I actually think Shaw is probably more talented, but Robertson works a lot harder, has a much better attitude and a lot more passion.

Robertson > Shaw any day of the week.
Talent means nothing if you don't put in the hard work. Shaw is already 23, not 18.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Just equalled the PL all time assists record for a defender. What a phenomenal player and absolute bargain at £8M. Him and Trent AA have 20 PL assists between them this season which is insane for a combined £8m. Hats off to the guy, worked his way up from non league football and working in Marks & Spencers.
Hat off to the scouts and coaches in liverpool. They are doing great work to spot the talent and train them too.

Armchair Manager

Supports
Northampton
Just equalled the PL all time assists record for a defender. What a phenomenal player and absolute bargain at £8M. Him and Trent AA have 20 PL assists between them this season which is insane for a combined £8m. Hats off to the guy, worked his way up from non league football and working in Marks & Spencers.
Correct me if i am wrong but i think last record was of leighton baines who was dedicated set piece taker. While all of robertson's assists are from open play which makes it even more impressive. (They did use robertson's crossing on corners, by passing it to him and changing the angle of delivery but still it wasnt a dead ball situation.)

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
"Brilliant player", feck me standards are low for players these days.
many times he decides games. it is rare that he does something stupid on the ball. not to mention his passing is generally always crisp... i.e, it is difficulty to intimidate him into making a bad pass, key player against barcelona to get an away goal.

edit: quoted wrong post

Last edited:

haram

He was clearly a good player at Hull as well. 8 million was a ridiculous price.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He was clearly a good player at Hull as well. 8 million was a ridiculous price.
Same was true of Maguire. The two of them were always going to move to bigger clubs when Hull got relegated, it was farcical that we weren’t in for either of them.

Bojan11

So Pool fans, what happened with his twitter? Heard he deleted it due to abuse. Was the abuse actually from Liverpool fans or what?

Still shocking abusing him after his first mistake in a long time.