Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

the_cliff

Some of the most asinine decisions I have ever seen in this game of football. Absolutely stupid and suicidal.
I agree. If Ange wasn't the manager of Spurs and he was at a genuine big club the pundits would be berating him for not having a plan B and playing a suicidal high line.

Basically they'd be berating him for the exact same thing they're praising him for now. It's actually quite bizarre.

I mean look at that:

Most teams in the prem would be pasting them.

Pirlo'sBeard

Big test for him now.

He'll have to adjust his tactics with no Romero, Micky van de Ven and possibly Maddison.

Castia

No it doesn’t, Chelsea had several other chances they completed wasted. Dier was offside so it’s nothing to do with a bit of bad luck.
They had 2 ruled out to var, 2 players sent off, 2 of their best players went off injured early on

Mad game and they almost pulled off a draw they were a bit unlucky. They could have sat back and probably took a 2-1 loss and killed the game. Fair play to them.

The 2 players who were red carded let him down. Udogie was looking for that red card all night

DickDastardly

I kinda respect the stupid high line try actually.

They were always gonna concede, but hell, it was pretty entertaining to see.

They also create chances for fun so there's that.

CloneMC16

I agree. If Ange wasn't the manager of Spurs and he was at a genuine big club the pundits would be berating him for not having a plan B and playing a suicidal high line.

Basically they'd be berating him for the exact same thing they're praising him for now. It's actually quite bizarre.

I mean look at that:

100%. If that's United, every pundit in the world is going in hard on ETH. Rightly so as well. Insane stuff.

STYLOISRED

Remember when Neville waxed lyrical about Leeds and now they are in the championship?
This match actually reminded me of Leeds. So much applause for the bravery and entertainment while they kept getting stuffed by decent opposition. Thess kind of football is entertaining but ultimately you can't sustain it at the highest level. You need to be able to go route one when the situation calls for it.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Well at least you know unequivocally what you are getting from big Ange, play high line high intensity football even when down to 9. Certainly made for an entertaining watch.

STYLOISRED

I mean look at that:

This is crazy. How Chelsea managed to only score 4 baffles me. Even Luton town would get a result here.

ti vu

His tactics of "give Chelsea a ton of chances, they're so crap we'll still have a chance to steal it" did nearly work in fairness.
You forgot the 4D chess mind game burning all the bridge Poch has left with Spurs. No pressure/comparison for Big Ange going forward

200 IQ move :wenger:
100%. If that's United, every pundit in the world is going in hard on ETH. Rightly so as well. Insane stuff.
I understand your point regarding the ABU media. However, our basic low/ middle block offside trap is still a mess even when the scoreline is respectable. We don't even get the basic correct when playing pragmatic, let alone our high line high pressing game. We have no base for this kind of hypothetical situation.

Redstain

I don't think so because it's the profile of the manager. Ange is an attacking manager, Erik I'd consider to be relatively pragmatic. If this result happened under Conte he also would have got demolished by the media. It's the perception of the managers that's influencing the view of it all.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

I mean look at that:

I don't why the pacier Chelsea players didn't just position themselves somewhere facing Eric Dier, push the ball forward and run by themselves. Not as if he was going to get to them.

Fts 74

It made for an entertaining game even with 9 but I agree with most on here it was madness really if our manager did that we'd be going absolutely mental.

ti vu

This match actually reminded me of Leeds. So much applause for the bravery and entertainment while they kept getting stuffed by decent opposition. Thess kind of football is entertaining but ultimately you can't sustain it at the highest level. You need to be able to go route one when the situation calls for it.
Make no sense.

You can have Haaland in top form and go route one with 9 men and still basically is clearing the ball and regrouping with no guarantee not conceding.

Joel Miller

They had 2 ruled out to var, 2 players sent off, 2 of their best players went off injured early on

Mad game and they almost pulled off a draw they were a bit unlucky. They could have sat back and probably took a 2-1 loss and killed the game. Fair play to them.

The 2 players who were red carded let him down. Udogie was looking for that red card all night
What has any of that got to do with a naive manager continuing to play a high line and attempt to attack?

Injuries might be bad luck, failing to adapt tactically isn’t. Chelsea had about 3 goals ruled out by the way. It was just stubborn stupidity from Spurs manager.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

How are they getting praised at all for that game? That has to be the dumbest performance I've ever seen. it was funny thats qbout the best i can say for it.

They were down to 9 men entirely through their own stupidity and childish discipline, and then deployed playground tactics and ended up lucky not to lose about 8-1 at home to a team in the lower half of the table.

Their whole team was sat on the half way line when they were down to 9 men and unable to press or even close anyone down. What was the plan there exactly? :lol:

They're going to end up back out of the top 4 if their way of dealing with adversity is to have some kind of extraordinary discipline/tactical meltdown.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

I mean look at that:

Fernandes and Eriksen just picking passes to Rashford, Garnacho and Højlund with that line. :drool:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
If we are honest, any half decent side would’ve scored double digits here.

Most ridiculous and hilarious PL game I think I have ever watched. Where do you start?

STYLOISRED

Make no sense.

9 men with route one basically is clearing the ball and regrouping with no guarantee not conceding.
No. Take pride in defending. Give yourself a chance to take home a draw which will be appreciated by your fanbase. If you lose, lose with dignity. They conceded 4 goals to a shit Chelsea side ffs. In 1 week nobody will remember the bravery of playing a suicidal highline 2 man down. The goal difference will still be there though.

Fts 74

Hes the media's darling atm, that'll soon change if he carries on with his kamikaze tactics.

Castia

What has any of that got to do with a naive manager continuing to play a high line and attempt to attack?

Injuries might be bad luck, failing to adapt tactically isn’t. Chelsea had about 3 goals ruled out by the way. It was just stubborn stupidity from Spurs manager.
Ok they were down to 9. The alternate is to put 8 outfield players behind the ball they were never holding on for 50 minutes. You seem to be completely disregarding the fact they were down to 9 men and creating chances

It was still 2-1 to Chelsea at around the 94 minute mark and Spurs just missed 3 top chances that score completely flatters Chelsea

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

No. Take pride in defending. Give yourself a chance to take home a draw which will be appreciated by your fanbase. If you lose, lose with dignity. They conceded 4 goals to a shit Chelsea side ffs. In 1 week nobody will remember the bravery of playing a suicidal highline 2 man down. The goal difference will still be there though.
2 of the 4 goals were scored in injury time when the players gave up. At 1-1 and even 1-2 it was still a game.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Make no sense.

You can have Haaland in top form and go route one with 9 men and still basically is clearing the ball and regrouping with no guarantee not conceding.
It's the (English) assumption that route 1 football and all men behind the ball would prevent these sorts of pastings that get me.

Tottenham have 8 outfield men. Whether you go with 4-4-0 or 5-3-0, you're doomed to lose the game as eventually an overload will be created, repeatedly.

What the high line does is leave you with a chance to score. Which they nearly did with Son and Dier if he timed his run better. Parking the bus makes you a sitting duck.

You'd think it was only the likes of Leeds being thrashed because they "were too big for their britches", as if route 1 merchants like Stoke and Burnley didn't get pasted as well.

Castia

How are they getting praised at all for that game? That has to be the dumbest performance I've ever seen. it was funny thats qbout the best i can say for it.

They were down to 9 men entirely through their own stupidity and childish discipline, and then deployed playground tactics and ended up lucky not to lose about 8-1 at home to a team in the lower half of the table.

Their whole team was sat on the half way line when they were down to 9 men and unable to press or even close anyone down. What was the plan there exactly? :lol:

They're going to end up back out of the top 4 if their way of dealing with adversity is to have some kind of extraordinary discipline/tactical meltdown.
The 2 players who got sent off completely lost them the game. He had 2 choices from there either sit back and hope to nick a point or keep going for it and it almost worked.

The game was over at 9 men I liked their approach. It was 2-1 to Chelsea in the 94th minute and Spurs were on the back of 3 big missed chances. If it finishes 2-1 to Chelsea the Poch sack thread is getting spammed

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

I mean look at that:

"Hi I'm Ange Postecoglu and this is Jackass..."

slored1

What a madman. Went into second half with Kamikaze style football and no backing down. Honestly gets my respect just for being so naive to go for it like that.

CallyRed

If we are honest, any half decent side would’ve scored double digits here.

Most ridiculous and hilarious PL game I think I have ever watched. Where do you start?
Even we might have scored more than one goal

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Exactly. Hey I have been liking this guy but today was vintage Spurs. Such a foolish attempt. Chelsea were embarrassingly bad as simple as that.

Zen

Not sure why he's getting so much stick for trying something different to the tactic that genuinely never works with 9 men....

Unless someone can point in the direction of a 9v11 where parking the bus did get the 9 the point, especially when a gap in talent isn't even there.

STYLOISRED

2 of the 4 goals were scored in injury time when the players gave up. At 1-1 and even 1-2 it was still a game.
Because Chelsea were absolutely dogshit and even then, the writing was on the wall before the goals. Chelsea were cutting through them like knife through butter.

the_cliff

Ok they were down to 9. The alternate is to put 8 outfield players behind the ball they were never holding on for 50 minutes. You seem to be completely disregarding the fact they were down to 9 men and creating chances
They created 2 chances from set pieces and one because of a Gallagher mistake.
Meanwhile they conceded enough space and chances to lose by double digits. Nico Jackson has been the barrel of everyone's jokes but managed to score more goals in the second half than he's managed all season....

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with that :houllier:

With Chelsea's struggles in front of goal I would've put money on Spurs not conceding if they sat back.