Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Joel Miller

Never trust a man that can’t look an interviewer in the eye when he’s answering them!

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea

This is brilliant
He got me too there. It almost sounds like he’s channeling his inner Conte and you could just imagine every press officer’s eyes lighting up before pulling the prank.

He’s a brilliant manager and he’s excellent with the press.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
3rd best manager in the league :lol:

Only 2 points better off than they were at the same point last season, sitting outside top 4 and out of all competitions. Man Utd could end up being only 3 points behind by tomorrow.

Poor man's Martin Jol.

cyberman

Teams seem to have figured them out a bit. They havent got the space to swarm into that they had at the begging of the season and get a boost when having to break teams down

BoulderDevil

Funny how people point to Postecoglou and use him as a stick to beat EtH with. Something something about style and control. Yet, beaten decidedly at home by wolves. Laughable.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Funny how people point to Postecoglou and use him as a stick to beat EtH with. Something something about style and control. Yet, beaten decidedly at home by wolves. Laughable.
It’s almost like the PL isn’t an easy league for anyone.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
3rd best manager in the league :lol:

Only 2 points better off than they were at the same point last season, sitting outside top 4 and out of all competitions. Man Utd could end up being only 3 points behind by tomorrow.

Poor man's Martin Jol.
You realise that is an exceptional achievement, right?

They’ve lost the player most believed was carrying them, and are doing better in the league to the equivalent point in time to last season. Son was also said to be cooked and no longer the player he was.

Predictably, revisionism states that they shouldn’t miss a beat, whilst at the start of this very same season, many had them down to absolutely nosedive without Kane and a past it Son leading them.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Not even close with them being dumped out of the cups with no Europe either. He's now only oncourse for an 'ok' season and they could still make it a proper shit one.
You seem to have a pretty high bar as to where Spurs should be having just lost the best player in their history that they’d relied on heavily for best part of the last decade.

Barring an absolute disaster it won’t be a ‘proper shit’ season for them and if they make it to CL they will have well overachieved.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
You seem to have a pretty high benchmark as to where Spurs should be having just lost the best player in their history.

Barring an absolute disaster it won’t be a ‘proper shit one’
6th and nothing else would be a pretty shit season for Spurs, no?

No cup run at all, no European distraction.

I don't think that's a high benchmark for them..

Sarni

6th and nothing else would be a pretty shit season for Spurs, no?

No cup run at all, no European distraction.
Not really, it would be an OK outcome given circumstances (losing Kane) and where they have been recently. They got into top 4 once in their last four seasons.

Josep Dowling

Just proves how much the media can manipulate opinion of managers. Poch was sacked for not progressing Spurs any further. Conte had them in the Champions League places but it wasn’t deemed good enough. Jose had them around 4/5th and again it wasn’t good enough. Ange is doing the exact same but there is so much positivity about him and Spurs this season, even though they aren’t in a better position to previous managers.

cyberman

You seem to have a pretty high bar as to where Spurs should be having just lost the best player in their history that they’d relied on heavily for best part of the last decade.

Barring an absolute disaster it won’t be a ‘proper shit’ season for them and if they make it to CL they will have well overachieved.
I don’t get this excuse. Every other side in the league didn’t have Kane when he came in, it’s not a disadvantage.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Because they had the players in the building to implement it and if they didn’t they signed them quickly:

Vicario (bought in)
Porro (already trialled on loan then bought)
Romero (already there)
van de Venn (bought in)
Udogie (already there and tracked on loan)
Sarr (already there)
Bissouma (already there
Kuluzevski (already there)
Maddison (bought in)
Son (already there)
Richarlison (already there)

Do any of those stand out as physically unable to perform a high line aggressive forward play style?

Dragusin* (bought to be a better back up than Dier)
Johnson (bought in as wing/fwd rotation)
You realise that is an exceptional achievement, right?

They’ve lost the player most believed was carrying them, and are doing better in the league to the equivalent point in time to last season. Son was also said to be cooked and no longer the player he was.

Predictably, revisionism states that they shouldn’t miss a beat, whilst at the start of this very same season, many had them down to absolutely nosedive without Kane and a past it Son leading them.
See above.

Around £250m invested sensibly in players with the majority already at the club and ready to play his brand of football. Look at the profiles of the players. Those they were lacking they signed.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I still think Ange has done a brilliant job and it’s silly to suggest he hasn’t but his ability to have a quick impact and style is also down to having the players to do it.

Sarni

Just proves how much the media can manipulate opinion of managers. Poch was sacked for not progressing Spurs any further. Conte had them in the Champions League places but it wasn’t deemed good enough. Jose had them around 4/5th and again it wasn’t good enough. Ange is doing the exact same but there is so much positivity about him and Spurs this season, even though they aren’t in a better position to previous managers.
Pochettino was sacked because they were sitting 14th in the league (though that may have been premature given they just reached CL final months prior) and Conte was actively trying to get himself fired for weeks.

Spurs came into this season with low expectations, having finished 8th last year and lost Kane in the Summer.

I don’t even think they are as pathetically terrible as people on here make it out, in the last 5 games they won two, drew two where they played well (last gasp equalizer from Branthwaite and a good performance at OT) and lost a close one yesterday to Wolves. Last 10 games their record is W6 D2 L2 which is hardly horrible.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
See above.

Around £250m invested sensibly in players with the majority already at the club and ready to play his brand of football. Look at the profiles of the players. Those they were lacking they signed.
I don't know if you're highlighting that to say what has happened is elementary and obvious from the outset; the only people with validity to that claim are the ones that stated it before the season kicked off.

Overwhelmingly, Spurs were expected to tank without Kane, and a shot Son.

There's also the aspect of many replacing the few is no surefire means of success and/or improvement, especially when a banker like Kane is concerned.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ye I think the difference with Ange though is his style of play. He’s come in and instantly got them playing the way he wants. And his signings have all been decent aswell. He’s brought players that will get even better as there at a young age. Also he’s never managed in the premier league where as Conte and Mourinho had before they joined spurs so that’s why Ange probably gets more praise. It’s hard for a foreign manager to come into this league and adapt.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don't know if you're highlighting that to say what has happened is elementary and obvious from the outset; the only people with validity to that claim are the ones that stated it before the season kicked off.

Overwhelmingly, Spurs were expected to tank without Kane, and a shot Son.

There's also the aspect of many replacing the few is no surefire means of success and/or improvement, especially when a banker like Kane is concerned.
Oh no not that it was elementary but you can see if you want to play a high line you need athletes. I’d argue they were either already at the club or signed.

My next post does go on to say that I think he’s done a brilliant job. I do however think him being used as a benchmark or stick beat Ten Hag with is laughable.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Ye I think the difference with Ange though is his style of play. He’s come in and instantly got them playing the way he wants. And his signings have all been decent aswell. He’s brought players that will get even better as there at a young age. Also he’s never managed in the premier league where as Conte and Mourinho had before they joined spurs so that’s why Ange probably gets more praise. It’s hard for a foreign manager to come into this league and adapt.
I've watched their last two home games and they've been pretty awful. Certainly no obvious style of play.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I've watched their last two home games and they've been pretty awful. Certainly no obvious style of play.
So going of 2 games they have no style of play? What about the other 23? They aren’t always going to play there best football. Do city not have a clear style of play when they played Arsenal and only had 4 shots, or played Aston Villa and only had 2 shots all game?