Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
So going of 2 games they have no style of play? What about the other 23? They aren’t always going to play there best football. Do city not have a clear style of play when they played Arsenal and only had 4 shots, or played Aston Villa and only had 2 shots all game?
Not sure you can say he's implemented a clear style of play if it fades away. Let's see how they go.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Not sure you can say he's implemented a clear style of play if it fades away. Let's see how they go.
I know but everyone can see what there trying to do. Unlike when you watch us you have no idea how we’re going to play. Anyway let’s hope they do fade away and we can overtake them.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Oh no not that it was elementary but you can see if you want to play a high line you need athletes. I’d argue they were either already at the club or signed.

My next post does go on to say that I think he’s done a brilliant job. I do however think him being used as a benchmark or stick beat Ten Hag with is laughable.
I don't really have an interest in comparing Spurs with United - during the summer, many in the Kane thread were outraged that Levy would deem us a rival and have that as grounds not to do business with us... these very same people then spend what seems like the entire season comparing us to Spurs and eagerly revelling in any setback they have... so are we 'rivals' or not. Makes no sense to me.

CM

I never really bought into the Postecoglou hype. He's done okay and Spurs are clearly in better shape than they were last year but it's like people have never watched the Premier League before when they latch on to a manager who starts the season strongly like he did. Those teams almost always fall away.

Next season will be a lot more telling for him than this one, especially if we manage to chase them down. That's when the real pressure starts to kick in.

cyberman

What’s so funny? Kane may have been the centrepiece of Spurs but not Anges Spurs. He didn’t come in with building around Kane in mind nor has he relied on Kane and seen him move mid way through a season.
Spurs were simply in United, Arsenal and even Liverpool position of not having that top notch number 9 that had to be found on the market and were given 100m and unlimited ffp to do so

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
What’s so funny? Kane may have been the centrepiece of Spurs but not Anges Spurs. He didn’t come in with building around Kane in mind nor has he relied on Kane and seen him move mid way through a season.
Spurs were simply in United, Arsenal and even Liverpool position of not having that top notch number 9 that had to be found on the market and were given 100m and unlimited ffp to do so
Apologies, thought you were joking, but now realize you were dead serious. Can’t even begin to argue why losing your best player is a hindrance and not merely meaningless because other teams don’t have him either.

Reckon we are doing worse because Martinez, Shaw and Casemiro were out? Nah, impossible because other teams don’t have Martinez, Shaw and Casemiro either. Were City held back by KdB’s injury? Not possible since other clubs do not have KDB.

Last edited:

cyberman

Apologies, thought you were joking, but now realize you were dead serious. Can’t even begin to argue why losing your best player is a hindrance and not merely meaningless because other teams don’t have him either.

Reckon we are doing worse because Martinez, Shaw and Casemiro were out? Nah, impossible because other teams don’t have Martinez, Shaw and Casemiro either. Were City held back by KdB’s injury? Not possible since other clubs do not have KDB.
But he’s not their best player, he never played a game under Ange? This 11 is entirely different to the 11 Kane played with.
Even with Kane they’ve finished 4th once in the last four seasons. If Ange doesnt finish fourth he’s just continuing the work Spurs did with Kane at the club.
Then you look at how Bayern are playing with Kane who dominates the 9 and 10 position and you have to think about as it that big of a loss? It’s not as if Kane moved and Spurs Stood still.
We started the season with those players in our team. Would we play better with those in? Of course we would because we built our squad around those players playing most weeks.
Should we struggle if we got top dollar for them and were able to go out and spend big on replacements? Of course we shouldn’t and that would be a black mark against us if we did

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
But he’s not their best player, he never played a game under Ange? This 11 is entirely different to the 11 Kane played with.
Even with Kane they’ve finished 4th once in the last four seasons. If Ange doesnt finish fourth he’s just continuing the work Spurs did with Kane at the club.
Then you look at how Bayern are playing with Kane who dominates the 9 and 10 position and you have to think about as it that big of a loss? It’s not as if Kane moved and Spurs Stood still.
We started the season with those players in our team. Would we play better with those in? Of course we would because we built our squad around those players playing most weeks.
Should we struggle if we got top dollar for them and were able to go out and spend big on replacements? Of course we shouldn’t and that would be a black mark against us if we did
Losing your best player should tone down the expectations in the short term as it usually takes time to replace them and rebuild. If they only finished 8th last season with Kane having a pretty strong year, you wouldn’t really have them as a shoe in to get into top 4 this year - as evidenced by preseason odds where they were mostly 3/1 and above to finish 4th or higher, hence the talk about them having an utter crap season if they finish 6th is nonsense. 6th is pretty much where everyone expected them to be.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Losing your best player should tone down the expectations in the short term as it usually takes time to replace them and rebuild. If they only finished 8th last season with Kane having a pretty strong year, you wouldn’t really have them as a shoe in to get into top 4 this year - as evidenced by preseason odds where they were mostly 3/1 and above to finish 4th or higher, hence the talk about them having an utter crap season if they finish 6th is nonsense. 6th is pretty much where everyone expected them to be.
I agree. They've gone with Richarlison as CF for most of the season, he scored I think two prem goals last year so that was a big gamble and really no different to Man. United playing Martial as CF for majority of the season.

He's done a very good job this season if they get CL. Of course the issue then is how do they cope playing high intensity CL on a Wednesday evening and then getting a tricky Saturday game straight after. However you could say the same for us as both of us could do a Newcastle next season.

JogaBonitoRooney

A South Korean has the same right to support Spurs as a local North London Englishman does. There's only 1 English player and 1 South Korean player in their team.

Ange should've been harsher. Should've questioned the silly journalist on where does he think all the money in the PL comes from to be what it is.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Spurs are terrible in terms of defensive fundamentals. All they have is an effective high press and manic tackling in midfield but after that there's nothing to fall back upon: They are poor in defensive transitions, their shape and defensive distances are often crap in more settled situations, and multiple members of their back line (mainly Udogie and Romero) are prone to really rash decisions, etc. They'll be 12th or 13th in the league in XG conceded after this match.

This is a badly coached side in the defensive aspects of the game. Its just been hidden a bit this year because their GK is a good shot stopper and Van de Ven is a CB with world class potential.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Whenever we criticise Ten Hag please remember this kind of thing can happen at any good club to any good manager while they are building.

Guy Incognito

Spurs are terrible in terms of defensive fundamentals. All they have is an effective high press and manic tackling in midfield but after that there's nothing to fall back upon: They are poor in defensive transitions, their shape and defensive distances are often crap in more settled situations, and multiple members of their back line (mainly Udogie and Romero) are prone to really rash decisions, etc. They'll be 12th or 13th in the league in XG conceded after this match.

This is a badly coached side in the defensive aspects of the game. Its just been hidden a bit this year because their GK is a good shot stopper and Van de Ven is a CB with world class potential.
They are great offensively and create so many chances.

Defensively they can be got at. Fulham played them off the park.

slored1

Every week they play the same old suicide ball with pressing that leaves ocean-wide gaps in the middle in transitions. I reckon he will be gone by December next season if it continues like this. Just not nearly adaptable enough, I get his wider point of playing attacking football but it's insane to think anyone can play like this in every game and be consistent enough to challenge for trophies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Every week they play the same old suicide ball with pressing that leaves ocean-wide gaps in the middle in transitions. I reckon he will be gone by December next season if it continues like this. Just not nearly adaptable enough, I get his wider point of playing attacking football but it's insane to think anyone can play like this in every game and be consistent enough to challenge for trophies.
Hes also had some fortunate wins in my opinion, even though XG doesn't reflect it, the eye test shows how many sides had golden attacks scuffed with wrong decision making.

Likeable bloke and great entertaining style albeit at a cost. To put things into perspective neither him nor De Zerbi are remotely as impressive in transformation than say Leicester under Brendan Rogers in season 1.

slored1

Hes also had some fortunate wins in my opinion, even though XG doesn't reflect it, the eye test shows how many sides had golden attacks scuffed with wrong decision making.

Likeable bloke and great entertaining style albeit at a cost. To put things into perspective neither him nor De Zerbi are remotely as impressive in transformation than say Leicester under Brendan Rogers in season 1.
Even the xG shows this, they have conceded 13th or 14th most in the league if I read it correctly from the poster above. I also think he's a nice bloke but this brand of football that puts so much pressure on the centre-backs and deep-lying midfielder is not going to get them anywhere serious. Got to adapt when the competition is so tough.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Even the xG shows this, they have conceded 13th or 14th most in the league if I read it correctly from the poster above. I also think he's a nice bloke but this brand of football that puts so much pressure on the centre-backs and deep-lying midfielder is not going to get them anywhere serious. Got to adapt when the competition is so tough.
And yet here they are 28 games into a season with a wafer thin squad a +17 GD and sitting 2 points from a champions league spot. Id say thats them getting somewhere serious with respect to their clubs status.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
And yet here they are 28 games into a season with a wafer thin squad a +17 GD and sitting 2 points from a champions league spot. Id say thats them getting somewhere serious with respect to their clubs status.
If we were any good they'd probably bottle it

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
He's very lucky that Man Utd are so poor this year and that 5th might get Champions league football.

I except him to be schooled in the champions league next year playing this kind football which is gonna get him sacked. His Celtic side in 2022/23 end up not winning any games and had a a GD of -11.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He's very lucky that Man Utd are so poor this year and that 5th might get Champions league football.

I except him to be schooled in the champions league next year playing this kind football which is gonna get him sacked. His Celtic side in 2022/23 end up not winning any games and had a a GD of -11.
He's so brave though.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
A wafer thin squad? The only player of note that they've currently got out is van de Ven.

They also haven't needed a large squad because they've had no European football and were also knocked out of both domestic cups early on. They'll play 41 games this season, we've already played 39, and will have played at least 50 by the end of the season.

The height of their injury crisis saw them go a month and five games without a league win, despite leading in every game, losing four.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
A wafer thin squad? The only player of note that they've currently got out is van de Ven.

They also haven't needed a large squad because they've had no European football and were also knocked out of both domestic cups early on. They'll play 41 games this season, we've already played 39, and will have played at least 50 by the end of the season.

The height of their injury crisis saw them go a month and five games without a league win, despite leading in every game, losing four.
Their squad has nothing like the quality depth that the other squads around them have. Seriously, they have done really well considering. There is an amusing desire to find anything possible to kick Ange with in this thread. Lots of silence in this thread until the press conference a day ago and then this result. Lots of silence while they are winning.
However here they are 2 points of the top 4 and with a +17 GD . Going by some of the stuff in here you would think they have had a very poor season. I think they have done well when considering all the things that have happened this season.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Their squad has nothing like the quality depth that the other squads around them have. Seriously, they have done really well considering. There is an amusing desire to find anything possible to kick Ange with in this thread. Lots of silence in this thread until the press conference a day ago and then this result. Lots of silence while they are winning.
However here they are 2 points of the top 4 and with a +17 GD . Going by some of the stuff in here you would think they have had a very poor season. I think they have done well when considering all the things that have happened this season.
They don't need a particularly deep squad though, which is precisely the point I was making. We didn't need one in 2014/15, Liverpool didn't need one in 2016/17, and Spurs don't need one now.

They've done better than I expected them to do, but is it really a surprise that this thread, on a Manchester United forum, is quiet when they're doing alright, but gets bumped after they squander an opportunity to go fourth by getting battered by Fulham? Do you police the RAWK and Bluemoon goes into meltdown threads in his manner?

I don't really get the clamouring for this guy. Ten Hag is bashed for playing football that's not sustainable long-term, but Big Mate is apparently to be praised for playing football that is obviously not sustainable long-term?

Unless he changes something, they're going to get found out massively next season when they've got to balance European football and the league.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
Those around them right now are Villa and Man Utd. Man Utd and Newcastle have had injury crises of their own. Villa have a much inferior group of players and squad depth yet are still above them.

I've noticed a tendency here to downplay the quality of the Tottenham players as some championship team that is punching above their weight. They have taken the Kane money and spent well above that with more 250 mn + spent on new quality players since the summer.

Frankly their season has been underwhelming results wise.