Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

Teja

But Spurs being spurs, they will likely cede the title fight early on to City and Arsenal.
They will drag it to the final day and bottle it against a relegated Sheffield United or something like that.

Oscar Bonavena

They will drag it to the final day and bottle it against a relegated Sheffield United or something like that.
I'd much rather Spurs win the league than any of City, Liverpool or Arsenal, but the scenario you've just described would be so funny it'd be almost worth it! :lol:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Ange is doing great (so far) he is making a lot of new managers coming into the league look bad.

His first season (so far) is looking better than Pep’s first season, never mind Klopp, Arteta and EtH.
It's actually the best start any new manager has had in PL history. In fact Ange already held that title after the previous match, so he's extended it further with the win over Palace.

Kumar Abhishek

While I am a big fan of Ange and his style of play, the game with Crystal Palace is a nice example of people seeing what they want to see. I watched the game and I don't think the performance was all that good, to be honest. Just like our game against Crystal Palace (who are incredibly organized), Spurs hardly created anything. There were no "patterns of play". There was a lot of aimless passing. Spurs had 0 shots on target in the first half (Palace had 2). For the whole game, they had 1 shot on target with 75% possession. We had 4 shots on target with 77% possession. The fine margins in football mean that while we conceded a world-class goal through Joachim Andersen, Spurs got a deflected goal early in the second half. The interesting thing is that had we won that game, we'd be on a 4-game winning streak in the league.
Not to take anything away from Ange though. He is brilliant.

Reactions: Varun

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
What he has done so far with Tottenham puts into focus the difficulty Ten Hag is having at OT.

erikcred

A mug? Really...The difference between managing Utd and Spurs is huge. AP has literally got a free hit with a good squad of players. Has done great so far, but it's literally ten games into the season. The amount of shite ETH has had to put up with is actually ridiculous, on top of all the injuries. You have a seriously short memory anyway. Spurs were 3rd after ten games last season. How did it end up for them? Who will be the mug after 38? Laughable shite at this point out of you.
You mean, the one man team without said one man? Well, if that makes you feel better about our own shitshow...

Lee565

I see no reason why spurs can't be serious title threat, arsenal did it out of nowhere last season. That second goal is something we can only dream of seeing under ten hag zombie football

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
While I am a big fan of Ange and his style of play, the game with Crystal Palace is a nice example of people seeing what they want to see. I watched the game and I don't think the performance was all that good, to be honest. Just like our game against Crystal Palace (who are incredibly organized), Spurs hardly created anything. There were no "patterns of play". There was a lot of aimless passing. Spurs had 0 shots on target in the first half (Palace had 2). For the whole game, they had 1 shot on target with 75% possession. We had 4 shots on target with 77% possession. The fine margins in football mean that while we conceded a world-class goal through Joachim Andersen, Spurs got a deflected goal early in the second half. The interesting thing is that had we won that game, we'd be on a 4-game winning streak in the league.
I think the one thing that has been pushed as a negative to Ange is his stubborness to his gameplan and determination that Plan A is the only plan. Last night he credited the team a lot for their perseverance and discipline in trusting that plan will work instead of alternating their shape or tactics against a Palace side which for the majority of the game, nullified them extremely well.

Kumar Abhishek

I think the one thing that has been pushed as a negative to Ange is his stubborness to his gameplan and determination that Plan A is the only plan. Last night he credited the team a lot for their perseverance and discipline in trusting that plan will work instead of alternating their shape or tactics against a Palace side which for the majority of the game, nullified them extremely well.
Agreed. My personal preference is also for purists who staunchly believe in their system and will take it to their grave (just a lot more romantic). But at the end of the day, results dictate interpretations. A lucky win with aimless passing is basically proof of perseverance in systems winning out. An unlucky defeat is proof that stubbornness in a manager is a negative trait. It will be interesting to see how Ange and Spurs weather the first storm that they face. It's all well and good when players are fit, tactics are working out, and margins fall in your favor. It's a whole different ballgame when 3-4 of your first team are out, luck is not in your favor, a couple of players just go off the boil and your competitors are breathing down your neck. That's when we will see what Spurs are made of. Just like we are now seeing what Ten Hag is made of.

Zed is not dead

Very good analysis.
Ange is doing a brilliant work with Spurs, but you’re quite right in that people see what they want to see.
They had an insipid first half at best and an average game overall. Their few clear chances came mostly from counter attack.
It’s also proof that winning games changes the whole narrative, whether you play good or bad.

redmeister

Basically no one, including Spurs fans, think they are going to win the league. Everyone expects them to drop lots of points once they have a run of tougher fixtures. Yet, once they do start to drop down the league, we will see a slue of posts about how so many people got carried away and over rated Spurs, other than the wise heads making said posts.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Basically no one, including Spurs fans, think they are going to win the league. Everyone expects them to drop lots of points once they have a run of tougher fixtures. Yet, once they do start to drop down the league, we will see a slue of posts about how so many people got carried away and over rated Spurs, other than the wise heads making said posts.
Pretty much. I'm still expecting a top 4 fight at best but all of these early points and momentum is doing wonders for that fight later on in the season.

Plus I don't want to bang my head against the wall for 90 minutes anymore whenever we're playing so that's a big plus.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Living proof of how big an impact getting the right manager can be. He fits Spurs perfectly, especially after they wasted their time with Mourinho and especially Conte.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Exactly this.
Its a strange thing that some people lack the ability to acknowledge Ange has started well without coming up for every reason under the sun other than he is a decent manager

Redstain

It's funny because a lot of the opinions on this being a short term success were also mentioned of Arsenal's resurgence, kept hearing it last season and they basically lost the title of their own avail and now look to be challenging repeatedly season after season.

It goes back to the same element that the foundation of any good team is in how efficiently they play football. That's why this isn't a bounce but rather a new philosophy that Spurs have adopted under a manager who to his staffs credit comes across as a potentially world class coach. I put De Zirbi in the same bracket if he ever gets the opportunity to move to a bigger team. The modern game is dominated by quality coaches. That's why relics like Mourinho have gone down a tier, it's not to do with man management but how the game has progressed tactically where the bad coaching gets found out.

gajender

It's funny because a lot of the opinions on this being a short term success were also mentioned of Arsenal's resurgence, kept hearing it last season and they basically lost the title of their own avail and now look to be challenging repeatedly season after season.

It goes back to the same element that the foundation of any good team is in how efficiently they play football. That's why this isn't a bounce but rather a new philosophy that Spurs have adopted under a manager who to his staffs credit comes across as a potentially world class coach. I put De Zirbi in the same bracket if he ever gets the opportunity to move to a bigger team. The modern game is dominated by quality coaches. That's why relics like Mourinho have gone down a tier, it's not to do with man management but how the game has progressed tactically where the bad coaching gets found out.
Agreed with every thing but Just like to add That the notion Peak Mourinho was just reliant on Man Management is a fallacy , Peak Mourinho was absolutely brilliant Coach and the tactician may not have been everybody's cup of tea the way he saw the game but don't let his fall from grace diminish how good he was .

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Tottenham have largely fallen into "getting it right" there hasn't been some great plan and they are just enjoying a purple patch.

Even a comparison to Arsenal is funny considering they trusted their manager for 2 seasons before turning a corner.

Also why is every praise of Spurs a criticism of United?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
True, it’s similar to United last year. It wasn’t the fans getting carried away, it was a proper build them up and knock them down job.

Media: “You think you’re gonna win the league don’t you?”

“No, not at all. Just enjoying the ride.”

“you do though. Technically you’re in the title race.”

“nah, not really. It won’t last.”

“You are though. You’re 3 points off city, get excited.”

*loses at anfield*

Media: “AHHH YOU THOUGHT!!”

Donut

He’s showing that you can have good vibes and good winning football, but let’s see how they’ll handle a few successive losses.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Tottenham have largely fallen into "getting it right" there hasn't been some great plan and they are just enjoying a purple patch.

Even a comparison to Arsenal is funny considering they trusted their manager for 2 seasons before turning a corner.

Also why is every praise of Spurs a criticism of United?
Because several fans on here have made up their minds and they are just waiting for the manager to get the sack. It was the same under the previous regime, too. Once you get to that point, you're only looking for things that validate your opinion.

I'll add that their current purple patch and the confidence boost you see in their players has been helped massively by two criminal refereeing errors, but it's Spurs, so who gives a feck.

Imagine if these decisions had gone in our favour... we would never hear the end of it.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'm seeing a lot of this rather than talk of being another example of a team selling a massive asset and then revamping appropriately to be more balanced.
They mostly revamped before he left though. Brennan Johnson was the only purchase after Kane was sold. Pretty sure they would’ve still had Maddison, Porro, VdV and Vicario if he had stayed. Udogie and Kulusevski as well.

Ekeke

I disagree. Its about control at least in the 2nd half

Spurs went ahead through pressing and Maddison smashing the ball with quality into a dangerous area with a cross. The defender felt he had to do something or someone behind him scores a free goal and it forced the mistake into his own net.

Once they did this Spurs played the ball between the keeper and Romero like 20 times until Palace gave up sitting off and pressured them to try and make a mistake. Spurs then immediately counter attacked with a great move like a hot knife through butter and and scored a really good team goal killing off the game and securing 3 points.

Palace got a goal back although it was clearly a ball that was controlled with the help of a hand to make it look closer.

Lee565

It's funny how spurs have stumbled onto success, they didn't get their first choice manager but got ange, they didn't want kane to leave but look more fluid and their original first choice keeper has a long term injury but vicario has looked like one of the best keepers in the league, it does amaze how we had to spend 45 million on a keeper that has looked shaky and yet spurs only spent 17 million on vicario, same could be said for mount/maddison and kulusevski/antony

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's funny how spurs have stumbled onto success, they didn't get their first choice manager but got ange, they didn't want kane to leave but look more fluid and their original first choice keeper has a long term injury but vicario has looked like one of the best keepers in the league, it does amaze how we had to spend 45 million on a keeper that has looked shaky and yet spurs only spent 17 million on vicario, same could be said for mount/maddison and kulusevski/antony
Doesn't this just mean they've been lucky?

Also

Lee565

Doesn't this just mean they've been lucky?

Also

It is success when nobody had them down as even finishing near a ucl spot and yet they have already given themselves a great chance with their start even if they have a bad patch in the season.

Kumar Abhishek

Spurs went ahead through pressing and Maddison smashing the ball with quality into a dangerous area with a cross. The defender felt he had to do something or someone behind him scores a free goal and it forced the mistake into his own net.

Once they did this Spurs played the ball between the keeper and Romero like 20 times until Palace gave up sitting off and pressured them to try and make a mistake. Spurs then immediately counter attacked with a great move like a hot knife through butter and and scored a really good team goal killing off the game and securing 3 points.

Palace got a goal back although it was clearly a ball that was controlled with the help of a hand to make it look closer.
You disagree with the fact that the performance wasn't good? I have a soft spot for Spurs so I watch a fair few of their matches and, in my opinion, that performance was extremely flat. But right now they have a halo effect ongoing where their every move is being seen in a positive light. Don't get me wrong, I think Ange deserves massive credit for that. I am sure the Spurs fans don't mind either (wouldn't begrudge them their heady days considering their Santo / Mourinho / Conte spells). But I was mildly frustrated by that performance and I came here to see what people made of it. Surprisingly all comments seemed extremely positive so I wondered how many people had actually seen the game. It felt to me extremely similar to our game against Palace and I remember the doom and gloom reaction back then. Again, not trying to take away from Spurs' great season so far. If anything, I want their fans to remember this patch well because sooner or later they will hit a rough patch and then I am sure there will be a spiral of doom (not likely this season but very likely next season).

Jeffthered

This post is interesting, as it highlights how some perceive a good performance.
Spurs were v good last night imo. A difficult game, away from home, against a v v well organised, energetic, physical team with a superb home support. Maybe see this as a game which shows a resilience, patience, confidence and maturity that now reflects this Spurs team.

Spurs have clear patterns of play, every single player knows exactly what they are doing, every single one. Their right back and both centre halves are playing excellent football, all v good on the ball (the right back is a proper footballer..) and you have James Maddison with a free role, which helps tie their whole game together.

I don't think they will win it because their squad lacks depth. But they have a lot to build on. A good January window for them, and who knows.

They are miles, miles ahead of us and Ange hasn't been there a for v long.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Exactly. And they always looked like something was about to happen even whilst not playing well.

That's the kind of bottom level every club with title aspirations aspires to. It's just a question of whether it's sustainable with such a little squad, or at least until January when the transfer window opens and they can reinforce.

Guy Incognito

New manager bounce and it's also only October. Nothing to see here.
Ange is a good manager and communicator. Doesn't suffer fools gladly and definitely isn't afraid to put the press in their place.

A lot of things are going for Spurs at the moment (playing once a week), but this side unlike Conte's can create loads of chances. What remains to be seen is if Levy will loosen the kitty in January, and how Spurs respond when things don't go their way.

Ekeke

You disagree with the fact that the performance wasn't good? I have a soft spot for Spurs so I watch a fair few of their matches and, in my opinion, that performance was extremely flat. But right now they have a halo effect ongoing where their every move is being seen in a positive light. Don't get me wrong, I think Ange deserves massive credit for that. I am sure the Spurs fans don't mind either (wouldn't begrudge them their heady days considering their Santo / Mourinho / Conte spells). But I was mildly frustrated by that performance and I came here to see what people made of it. Surprisingly all comments seemed extremely positive so I wondered how many people had actually seen the game. It felt to me extremely similar to our game against Palace and I remember the doom and gloom reaction back then. Again, not trying to take away from Spurs' great season so far. If anything, I want their fans to remember this patch well because sooner or later they will hit a rough patch and then I am sure there will be a spiral of doom (not likely this season but very likely next season).
Yes. And the fact that the shots tell the story and they werent more impressive than united. They also had 75.5% of the ball and a couple of other good attacks I didnt mention, including one where they were playing the ball out of the back while pressed and then the goalkeeper went through the middle of the press with a great pass and they counter attacked but that one didnt end with a goal.

So yeah 2nd half I thought they were certainly a lot more impressive than how we play.

First half they still had a huge amount of the ball but Spurs had 3 shots and Palace 8. In the 2nd half Spurs had plenty of good attacks, continued having all of the ball, got 2 goals and 7 shots to Palace's 3. So yeah in the end Palace had 13 shots and Spurs 10, but it was the first half they had more shots and were actually in the game.

Lee565

Ange is a good manager and communicator. Doesn't suffer fools gladly and definitely isn't afraid to put the press in their place.

A lot of things are going for Spurs at the moment (playing once a week), but this side unlike Conte's can create loads of chances. What remains to be seen is if Levy will loosen the kitty in January, and how Spurs respond when things don't go their way.
To be fair spurs don't need to go crazy in January, they tend to do better playing it shrewd in the market (reguilon, kulusevski, romero, vicario) instead of when they splash the cash (ndomble, Richarlison)

Lee565

Anyone else see some parallels with his style of football and fergies style (90's/2000s)? Ironically enough he has also joined from managing in Scottish league, in no way am I say he will be anywhere near the level of fergie but the swash buckling football just reminds me of the old united way