Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

cyberman

are you honestly saying that you think our level of effort and work rate is good each week and consistent???? That's what i'm saying in comparison to what Ange has brought to the spurs team...those guys work their socks off in every match down to every single player
I don’t think Spurs team works hard and I can’t remember anybody praising them for doing so? The amount of players that aren’t tracked when they run off the midfield alone is ridiculous

bosskeano

You don't think there would be a lot of complaints if United got one draw and four defeats after taking the lead in every one of those game? People would be calling for ETH's head because of poor game management, poor subs, complacent attitude, etc. etc.
absolutely....shit there are complaints on here after/during the chelsea match abotu EtH and how he has them play too open at times despite 28 shots against chelsea. you can't make everyone happy no matter what. only gaffer right now that probably doesn't have people complaining about him is Arteta.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don’t think Spurs team works hard and I can’t remember anybody praising them for doing so? The amount of players that aren’t tracked when they run off the midfield alone is ridiculous
They do work hard and have been observed on commentary as much quite often.

bosskeano

Listen to the commentators during the match, if you happen to watch one of their matches and how they discuss them afterwards. Results may not go their way but they are talk about their commitment and effort.

Bare in mind as well during that losing streak, they were playing two outside backs at CB due to injuries and suspensions.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Listen to the commentators during the match, if you happen to watch one of their matches and how they discuss them afterwards. Results may not go their way but they are talk about their commitment and effort.

Bare in mind as well during that losing streak, they were playing two outside backs at CB due to injuries and suspensions.
They could have played Eric Dier and didn't, because Ange wanted to persist with a high line that got him 1 point in 15(?)

bosskeano

They could have played Eric Dier and didn't, because Ange wanted to persist with a high line that got him 1 point in 15(?)
agreed....although Dier has pulled a Rashford

the high line is suicidal in the prem...he could get away with that in japan and with Celtic but not in the prem. Too many quality teams and players

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It will be interesting to see if he goes for the FA Cup or spunks it off like the League Cup.

His playstyle might actually work as you can win the cup on pure heart but then again this is Spurs we are talking about.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
When did he get injured again?
Some time between the Villa and City game.

He played against Wolves, did ok until he gave the ball away under no pressure and we conceded. He was a mainstay in a deep block team that conceded 63 goals last season, even if he was available he's not the answer. Plus despite the rhetoric on here about our "suicidal high-line", both goals we conceded yesterday were nothing to do with tactical set-up. The first being a double deflection that just so happened to fall to the only West Ham player around and then Udogie under-hitting a back pass. I'm more worried about how blunt we are in attack than what's going on at the other end.

MayfieldsFinest

Celtic in the Champion's League under Ange is why I'd worry for Spurs. He won't compromise on his footballing principles, no matter who the opposition is. Make is hard to win (or draw) ugly.

cyberman

But commentators talk a lot of shit as well. Two of Clive’s examples of great tactical innovation was Sheff Utd and Leeds who both meekly got relegated.
Shearer had to remind him that fullbacks attacked the byline in his day too.
It’s just over excited nonsense. Spurs got away with a lot during their winning run and it’s caught up on them, that’s all this is

cyberman

Even he’s getting tired of people pretending theyre playing well when overrun

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...nham-reporter-says-team-played-well-q0f9xkttz

An angry Ange Postecoglou interrupted Tottenham Hotspur’s club reporter to shoot down his suggestion that the team had played well during the defeat by West Ham United, claiming unfounded positivity “is part of the problem”.

Cristian Romero scored early for Spurs, but Postecoglou’s side once again threw away their lead as second-half goals by Jarrod Bowen and James Ward-Prowse sealed a 2-1 win for the away side. Tottenham are the first team in Premier League history to drop points from a winning position in five consecutive games.

At full-time, Postecoglou was interviewed pitch-side by Paul Miles, who said: “You see the result and then you forget how good we were in the first half,” but the Australian head coach interrupted the club reporter.

“We weren’t good, no, we’ve got to get away from that,” Postecoglou said. “I don’t believe that. That’s part of the problem, I think everyone’s saying we’re playing good football — good football means you win games. And I’m not here to play good football, I’m here to win.

“That’s been the clear message from day one to the players, that we play this style of football not to get pats on the back, we play this style of football to win games and bring success to this football club. You need to embrace that. It’s not easy and I’m not saying it’s easy but that’s where we need to be.”

The Tottenham captain Son Heung-min criticised his side for being “soft”, with defeat by West Ham meaning Spurs have now picked up only one point from their past five Premier League games.

“We lost the game, which is unacceptable,” Son said. “You get the lead five times in a row and losing the game I think is unacceptable, and as players we should take responsibility.

“West Ham have always been tough to play against but, look, we were soft. Especially in the Premier League, even if you are winning 2-0, 3-0, you don’t know what will happen in the end.”

Tottenham, who lost a third home game in a row for the first time since 2008, host Newcastle United on Sunday as they seek to pick up their first victory since beating Crystal Palace 2-1 at the end of October.

Robbie Boy

Even he’s getting tired of people pretending theyre playing well when overrun

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...nham-reporter-says-team-played-well-q0f9xkttz

An angry Ange Postecoglou interrupted Tottenham Hotspur’s club reporter to shoot down his suggestion that the team had played well during the defeat by West Ham United, claiming unfounded positivity “is part of the problem”.

Cristian Romero scored early for Spurs, but Postecoglou’s side once again threw away their lead as second-half goals by Jarrod Bowen and James Ward-Prowse sealed a 2-1 win for the away side. Tottenham are the first team in Premier League history to drop points from a winning position in five consecutive games.

At full-time, Postecoglou was interviewed pitch-side by Paul Miles, who said: “You see the result and then you forget how good we were in the first half,” but the Australian head coach interrupted the club reporter.

“We weren’t good, no, we’ve got to get away from that,” Postecoglou said. “I don’t believe that. That’s part of the problem, I think everyone’s saying we’re playing good football — good football means you win games. And I’m not here to play good football, I’m here to win.

“That’s been the clear message from day one to the players, that we play this style of football not to get pats on the back, we play this style of football to win games and bring success to this football club. You need to embrace that. It’s not easy and I’m not saying it’s easy but that’s where we need to be.”

The Tottenham captain Son Heung-min criticised his side for being “soft”, with defeat by West Ham meaning Spurs have now picked up only one point from their past five Premier League games.

“We lost the game, which is unacceptable,” Son said. “You get the lead five times in a row and losing the game I think is unacceptable, and as players we should take responsibility.

“West Ham have always been tough to play against but, look, we were soft. Especially in the Premier League, even if you are winning 2-0, 3-0, you don’t know what will happen in the end.”

Tottenham, who lost a third home game in a row for the first time since 2008, host Newcastle United on Sunday as they seek to pick up their first victory since beating Crystal Palace 2-1 at the end of October.
Fair play.

I thought they were rubbish, personally. It was all very high octane, disjointed stuff. It was obvious what West Ham's gameplan would be and they executed it well.

LawmanMan

Moyes simply contained them for the first half - West Ham actually had the best chance of the half, but Paqueta failed to pull the trigger.

In the second half he allowed his team, who are playing more football than anyone in the league mind, to press all over the pitch. This forced mistakes from Tottenham and it resulted in good opportunities. The second goal in particular highlighted how West Ham had got into their heads and made them jittery.

So Moyes basically schooled Ange and has laid the blueprint for everyone else to follow. Let Spurs blow themselves out first half and then take advantage in the second.

Spurs will be lucky to get Europe this season and my money will be on WHU having a more successful season.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

He played against Wolves, did ok until he gave the ball away under no pressure and we conceded. He was a mainstay in a deep block team that conceded 63 goals last season, even if he was available he's not the answer. Plus despite the rhetoric on here about our "suicidal high-line", both goals we conceded yesterday were nothing to do with tactical set-up. The first being a double deflection that just so happened to fall to the only West Ham player around and then Udogie under-hitting a back pass. I'm more worried about how blunt we are in attack than what's going on at the other end.
Lots of teams play a high line, that’s not really the issue (other than against Chelsea).

The issues are that Ange only plays with a back two in possession and pushes both the fullbacks up so much. The two knock on effects of this are:

-In transitional moments, everything rests on winning the ball back immediately and tackling, tackling, tackling, rather than a solid positional structure. When this doesn’t happen, it’s not that the high line gets breached, it’s that Spurs are often totally disorganized as they fall back and that leads to chances.

-If you want fullbacks and midfielders to play this football, you end up with smaller quicker players, which is great in some regards but also leaves Spurs very vulnerable on set pieces. Son is in the middle of set piece defense because he’s the third or fourth biggest guy on the field. He’s going to boot it into his own net or lose his marker at times, he’s not a defender.
Moyes simply contained them for the first half - West Ham actually had the best chance of the half, but Paqueta failed to pull the trigger.

In the second half he allowed his team, who are playing more football than anyone in the league mind, to press all over the pitch. This forced mistakes from Tottenham and it resulted in good opportunities. The second goal in particular highlighted how West Ham had got into their heads and made them jittery.

So Moyes basically schooled Ange and has laid the blueprint for everyone else to follow. Let Spurs blow themselves out first half and then take advantage in the second.

Spurs will be lucky to get Europe this season and my money will be on WHU having a more successful season.
More or less what Villa did too.

Shiva87

But commentators talk a lot of shit as well. Two of Clive’s examples of great tactical innovation was Sheff Utd and Leeds who both meekly got relegated.
Shearer had to remind him that fullbacks attacked the byline in his day too.
It’s just over excited nonsense. Spurs got away with a lot during their winning run and it’s caught up on them, that’s all this is
yes the new manager bounce was totally ignored and Spurs had been transformed into a title contender overnight.

anyway, I don’t see a problem with the hype over Ange - but the part that gets my goat is how ETH is 1 game away from being fired (after a crazy injury crisis as well) and at the same points, Ange is a world beater. Talk about narratives

Pronewbie

Peep
Overrated no? Wasn't very impressed with Spurs at the start of the season despite the media purring at Ange ball.. IMHO Ten Hag got us playing better football last season at home.

LawmanMan

Overrated no? Wasn't very impressed with Spurs at the start of the season despite the media purring at Ange ball.. IMHO Ten Hag got us playing better football last season at home.
Erik is clever enough to at least attempt to cut his cloth to suit what he has. Ange is going to double down on something that is not working and will be lucky to last the season.

Now the wheels have fallen off the players will start to lose faith and the issues will just compound from here.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal

Classic :lol:

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
People jump on the bandwagon way too fast. It was clear that some of their players were on a great run of form rather than their usual.

Similarly, we are going negative on him too fast as well. He really has a terrible backline for chasing a CL spot, so in effect he is forced a little to play it this way.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Bounced back after recent weeks. No luck here, Newcastle used up their game raising against us, today they played like us.

RVN1991

Erik is clever enough to at least attempt to cut his cloth to suit what he has. Ange is going to double down on something that is not working and will be lucky to last the season.

Now the wheels have fallen off the players will start to lose faith and the issues will just compound from here.
:lol:

Guy Incognito

They won comfortably in the end but Newcastle still had some joy with their high line in the first half. Will Ange worry? Probably not mate.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

:lol::lol::lol:

slored1

Most knee jerky thread on the caf in a very long time.

Sarr is quality. Think he was missed just as much as Maddison.
Yeah I figured that as well. A truly outstanding talent, I think we were in for him as well at that time.

binary bot
They’ve had a terrible return through a tough period, yet if they win their next few easier games they’ll be in a decent position - Arsenal Liverpool play in a few weeks

TsuWave

He's clearly doing a good job, even in some of their losses - they at least play good football. I know of a club that loses without doing so :wenger: