Ange Postecoglou | New Spurs boss on 4 year contract

NoPace

This is my view as well. I think he'd get absolutely battered in the Prem trying to play the way he plays.

Maybe he will become more pragmatic, but doesn't seem like his style.
I don't know. His principles seem similar to Pep and Ten Hag in a lot of ways and Celtic's talent is really blah. Jota is good, Juranovic makes is mistakes but he's quick as hell so a solid enough RB, but other than that is there a player who could be a squaddie for us? Matt Riley does some good things, but he's not there yet from what I've seen. The Japanese guys are okay but not better players than Pellistri for instance. It's tough to beat a team like Leipzig with that level of talent.

NoPace

Apart from a increased wage, what are the benefits of leaving Celtic for a mid level PL job ?

With Celtic he is almost guaranteed league titles and CL football. Rodgers left and now his stock has hit rock bottom.

Postecoglou could try to build something at Celtic and if he manages to get something good going and a deep run in the CL, then one of the big clubs will come knocking.
Get to buy and coach the top Japanese players instead of the 2nd tier ones.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't know. His principles seem similar to Pep and Ten Hag in a lot of ways and Celtic's talent is really blah. Jota is good, Juranovic makes is mistakes but he's quick as hell so a solid enough RB, but other than that is there a player who could be a squaddie for us? Matt Riley does some good things, but he's not there yet from what I've seen. The Japanese guys are okay but not better players than Pellistri for instance. It's tough to beat a team like Leipzig with that level of talent.
I think his attacking principals are. They certainly don't defend like a Ten Hag team or even a Pep team. Celtic's talent is always City levels for the Scottish Premiership though. We were linked with Matt O'Riley not that long ago actually.

damoley

This is my view as well. I think he'd get absolutely battered in the Prem trying to play the way he plays.

Maybe he will become more pragmatic, but doesn't seem like his style.
Dunno about whether he will be pragmatic or not, but the man is a winner. Way back when he was in the A league, he bossed it with two clubs, at least one of them going pear shaped after he left if my memory serves me correctly - Brisbane. Followed it up in Japan and now Scotland (not like he was gunna win anything managing Australia haha). I wouldn’t be so fast to write him off at all.

Comparing him to Gerrard is a bit pointless as Gerrard has barely been in management comparatively. Rodgers is closer and fair, but again, I don’t think he has the same experience actually winning leagues that Postecoglou has. You can say all you want about where he’s won, but he still had to do it, it’s not as if everyone rolled over for him.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think his attacking principals are. They certainly don't defend like a Ten Hag team or even a Pep team. Celtic's talent is always City levels for the Scottish Premiership though. We were linked with Matt O'Riley not that long ago actually.
Good player but really went off the boil. Dunno if he had his head turned by a move but his performances haven't been great for a few months.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Apart from a increased wage, what are the benefits of leaving Celtic for a mid level PL job ?

With Celtic he is almost guaranteed league titles and CL football. Rodgers left and now his stock has hit rock bottom.

Postecoglou could try to build something at Celtic and if he manages to get something good going and a deep run in the CL, then one of the big clubs will come knocking.
I don't think it will really ever be possible for an SPL club in its current state to do a deep run in the CL. I also don't think a big club will take a punt on a Celtic manager. Unfortunately aswell as the money if you do well at a mid table club in the PL it looks better on the CV than winning a title with Celtic does. Say Ange came to us or Southampton and took us from where we are to comfortable top 10 teams who are competing for EL I think clubs would look at that far more seriously than winning an SPL title with Celtic.

If Rodgers left Leicester when he was competing for the CL places each year and won the FA cup he'd likely have got a big job. It's only really this season his stock has fell quite a bit.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Dunno about whether he will be pragmatic or not, but the man is a winner. Way back when he was in the A league, he bossed it with two clubs, at least one of them going pear shaped after he left if my memory serves me correctly - Brisbane. Followed it up in Japan and now Scotland (not like he was gunna win anything managing Australia haha). I wouldn’t be so fast to write him off at all.

Comparing him to Gerrard is a bit pointless as Gerrard has barely been in management comparatively. Rodgers is closer and fair, but again, I don’t think he has the same experience actually winning leagues that Postecoglou has. You can say all you want about where he’s won, but he still had to do it, it’s not as if everyone rolled over for him.
I'm not denying he's got a winning mentality, I like his press conferences and he actively sets his teams up to win. It's a great watch. What I'm saying is, I can't see a team that plays like his in the prem, that doesn't leak goals. Maybe he would be more pragmatic, but I don't see that either. I could be wide of the mark, but that's what I see looking at how he plays.
Good player but really went off the boil. Dunno if he had his head turned by a move but his performances haven't been great for a few months.
That's a shame. Probably the case a bit, or just trying too hard after that and not sticking to what he does well. He's more than young enough to turn that around though.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Same with Gerrard at rangers. Was doing well there but then jumped to the prem and failed. A lot different managing a team that’s only ever in a 2 horse race for the title and coming to a prem team and trying to get mid table.
Gerrard had a mixed record at Rangers. Had one brilliant season, but a bit underwhelming either side of that. He was the opposite of Postecoglou as his record in Europe was much better, but he often struggled to break teams down domestically.
Celtic play beautiful football domestically, but they are absolutely lost defensively in Europe. Think his system would get shredded in England with mid-table level talent.
Yes that's fair. He needs the right club where he can execute that style of football. I don't think he'd be a natural fit for a relegation-battler, but could come into any of the big 4 and rack up the points.

damoley

I'm not denying he's got a winning mentality, I like his press conferences and he actively sets his teams up to win. It's a great watch. What I'm saying is, I can't see a team that plays like his in the prem, that doesn't leak goals. Maybe he would be more pragmatic, but I don't see that either. I could be wide of the mark, but that's what I see looking at how he plays.
Yeah, fair I can agree with that. Like all the good coaches, he seems to get more out of his players, spose he could only hope he can do that in the PL. I just can’t quite see a Bielsa/Leeds-esque situation

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, fair I can agree with that. Like all the good coaches, he seems to get more out of his players, spose he could only hope he can do that in the PL. I just can’t quite see a Bielsa/Leeds-esque situation
Bielsa was deemed a success for a bit!

Postecoglu is a first class coach and would do an excellent job in England if given time and resources. His teams play high energy high press football and are always on the front foot against anyone up to and including Real Madrid. They always create chances and they normally concede a few chances. However I don't think he is the manager to save Everton/West Ham/ whoever from relegation. He needs a full preseason and then a bit more to get players up to the fitness levels he is looking for and up to speed with his tactics. If he is given that time he would be a success but dropping him into an unfit and dispirited looking Everton with 19 games to avoid relegation would be a big ask and I suspect he is smart enough to know it. When he leaves Celtic he will do so on his own terms and I don't think it will be this season.

poleglass red

To me his biggest problem in the CL was the amount of chances they missed each game.The difference there, than in the spl, is that the teams you faced typically took their chances when they came. There are levels to this game, and for him and his players the CL was a new venture, so inexperience, maybe a bit of naiveity came into play. I wouldn't be too critical of his CL campaign. If he went back next season and did the same things then I'd have a go, but for now, I would say that part is a work in progress. I can't see him leaving during the season to go to any PL team. I'm sure the huge criticism of Rodgers for doing the same is still fresh in the air up there.

NoPace

Yeah I watched O'Riley close a couple times after I saw that. He's technically quite good but doesn't stand out athletically at all.

Is it wrong to say that the only player to play in Scotland since Van Dijk that would have lasted here even as 2nd choice at their position is Tierney at LB even though he often seems to be hurt? Tavernier looks good whenever I've seen him and for a big team, an attacking RB option who can play RWB seems like a decent squad fit, but Lustig is apparently rated ahead of him and I don't remember him looking more than a mid-table Prem reserve in a Sweden shirt. I guess McGregor is a better CM than McTominay, but McTominay's physical qualities mean he's the sort of player you might try to develop more as the upside would be there if he could sort his brain out. McGinn was really good for Villa the year they went up and their first in the Prem, but injuries and his build have ruined him. I guess Juranovic too. And from what I've seen Jota would be an okay backup winger if he was right-sided, but on the left the standard is so high that he's more of a Leicester/Palace/Villa guy if he pans out.

NoPace

Postecoglu is a first class coach and would do an excellent job in England if given time and resources. His teams play high energy high press football and are always on the front foot against anyone up to and including Real Madrid. They always create chances and they normally concede a few chances. However I don't think he is the manager to save Everton/West Ham/ whoever from relegation. He needs a full preseason and then a bit more to get players up to the fitness levels he is looking for and up to speed with his tactics. If he is given that time he would be a success but dropping him into an unfit and dispirited looking Everton with 19 games to avoid relegation would be a big ask and I suspect he is smart enough to know it. When he leaves Celtic he will do so on his own terms and I don't think it will be this season.
The Coady loan was sort of a destabilizing one in some ways because they don't have attacking wingbacks (Patterson in time might get there) or a left-sided CB to play 3-5-2. They'd have been better off, in hindsight, just bringing Mee along with Tarkowski and keeping them together.

If they'd have gotten 45M and a year of Hudson-Odoi on loan for Gordon in August, they'd be in better position, even if they'd only have been able to spend 20M of it and had 25M left to use in January.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah I watched O'Riley close a couple times after I saw that. He's technically quite good but doesn't stand out athletically at all.

Is it wrong to say that the only player to play in Scotland since Van Dijk that would have lasted here even as 2nd choice at their position is Tierney at LB even though he often seems to be hurt? Tavernier looks good whenever I've seen him and for a big team, an attacking RB option who can play RWB seems like a decent squad fit, but Lustig is apparently rated ahead of him and I don't remember him looking more than a mid-table Prem reserve in a Sweden shirt. I guess McGregor is a better CM than McTominay, but McTominay's physical qualities mean he's the sort of player you might try to develop more as the upside would be there if he could sort his brain out. McGinn was really good for Villa the year they went up and their first in the Prem, but injuries and his build have ruined him. I guess Juranovic too. And from what I've seen Jota would be an okay backup winger if he was right-sided, but on the left the standard is so high that he's more of a Leicester/Palace/Villa guy if he pans out.
Robertson is the obvious one you're missing too and I think you're probably right. There's obviously some young lads still who may do well in Ramsay and the young lad Liverpool bought, but the fact none spring to mind, is pretty telling too.

NoPace

Robertson is the obvious one you're missing too and I think you're probably right. There's obviously some young lads still who may do well in Ramsay and the young lad Liverpool bought, but the fact none spring to mind, is pretty telling too.
He's pre-Van Dijk by a year I think.

The Scottish players are fine, it's more a lack of foreign talent in the league. Guys like Larsson and Arteta and Petrov just aren't going there anymore. The Japanese players are fun, but none of the 3 there for a bit (there's 2 new ones I think?) really pop the way Mitoima or Tomiyasu do.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So Ange was the unnamed remaining candidate. Interesting but if the choices now are Poch, Kompany and Ange then I think it’s obvious Chelsea will be leaning towards Poch.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Apparently the preferred candidate now for Spurs.

His style of football with inverted fullbacks, 3 hard working but creative midfielders and a goalscoring front 3 would be suited to the Premier League.

I actually don’t want this to happen. I don’t want a successful Spurs.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

His style of football with inverted fullbacks, 3 hard working but creative midfielders and a goalscoring front 3 would be suited to the Premier League.

I don't know much about Postecoglou but its hard to imagine a setup less suited to Spurs' current squad, which is littered with wingbacks who could never invert and central midfielders who can't create.

Last edited:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Don't think you'll have to worry about that anytime soon.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
Postecoglou is the real deal. He has the potential to change Spurs' fortunes around, just like Howe did at Newcastle.

They are from a similar school of football, but Ange is closer to the JDP philosophy that Pep trains. High intensity, consistent press and counter attack football.

Looking at how Newcastle played this season, is an idea of what Ange would want to set up to play, and recruit for at Spurs.

MadMike

I hope for his sake he waits for something better than Spurs. They're a team on the way down and would take superhuman achievements to turn things around.

mu4c_20le

I don't mind Spurs and hope to see them return to their old ways of having to outscore their opposition again. They used to be an exciting team to watch, and a thorn on Arsenal/Chelsea sides.

RopersReturn

It’d be a minor miracle if he can get a tune out of them. Without Kane and to a lesser degree, Son, they’re truly awful.

Zagoon

Supports
Arsenal
It’d be a minor miracle if he can get a tune out of them. Without Kane and to a lesser degree, Son, they’re truly awful.
Dont underestimate the power of positional play, and trained attacking and defensive automations. You see it play out at Brighton with a team of mostly average players.

It wont be perfect, but Ange will adapt them into a good unit, like Ten Hag adapted United, and until Ange can get his players.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This Spurs squad isn't a great fit for Postecoglou, but he'll get them playing football much more suited for creating chances, which has been one of their biggest weaknesses in recent seasons. He'd need some time to reshape the team and no doubt need a handful of signings that would enable a more progressive game.

I don't think anyone has ever rated Lustig ahead of Tavernier - they are absolutely miles apart on their impact for their clubs domestically and in Europe.

RedDevilRoshi

He’ll be a good appointment for them. Will need to be backed well by Levy which is the only obstacle I can see in this move. Been really impressed with the work he has done at Celtic when at the very start, no one gave him a single chance and had written him off the moment he set foot. Perfect example of silencing your critics.

johnnyteutonic

He just reached the end of his time as Aussie coach, He was really burnt out by the long qualification we had to do.

He was the best Socceroo's coach in my lifetime though, We fought hard against Chile and the Dutch, Won an Asian cup, and qualified for 2018 wc.
I always thought Hiddink was good for us too but he also had a very strong squad when he managed us.
Ange is great.

NoPace

I don't think anyone has ever rated Lustig ahead of Tavernier - they are absolutely miles apart on their impact for their clubs domestically and in Europe.
My bad. Not sure why I thought that, probably read it somewhere.

I was always surprised Tavernier never moved to say a side in Serie A or like a Brentford team playing 3-5-2, he always seemed dangerous attacking-wise.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Players like Hoijberg will be binned immediately but Ange. His midfield cover some amount of ground or they are taken off.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't know much about him to be honest and I have no idea if he will be Spurs manager but if he is I hope he does well.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know much about him to be honest and I have no idea if he will be Spurs manager but if he is I hope he does well.
He’s very attack minded and Celtic go for the jugular every game from the kick off.

I felt he can be slightly naive but I respect his belief in their system and tactics. At home against Real Madrid, Celtic absolutely battered them, pressing from the first minute, missed many chances and hit the post. Their players inevitably tired and Real Madrid won comfortably. But if Celtic scored the chances it would have been a different game.

He also coaches the ball boys which I find brilliant. Their ball boys are Celtic Park are coached to ensure the ball is always in play. When it goes out for a throw in it has to be back in play within seconds or he loses it.

His pressing game is relentless but it does require players who can play as such. Also inverted fullbacks too.

Reactions: Solius

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
This Spurs squad isn't a great fit for Postecoglou, but he'll get them playing football much more suited for creating chances, which has been one of their biggest weaknesses in recent seasons. He'd need some time to reshape the team and no doubt need a handful of signings that would enable a more progressive game.
I can't work out how good he is to be honest. Let me preface this by saying as a Rangers fan i'm obviously biased, but i try to be as fair as possible.

He'll have won a double and a treble in his first 2 season, so he can't do much more domestically than that.

However, in saying that, i think last season the whole Gerrard being a bit unsettled then eventually leaving helped play into his hands, and i dont think his replacement (your namesake) gave him much resistance in terms of league form.

However, since Michael Beale has came in, with a squad that's bloated and unbalanced with many who knew they were leaving, i think he's performed well in comparison. I think he's matched (or bettered) his league points since January, and lost by the odd goal against them in the cup competitions. I would have thought a settled Ange Celtic team would have played Rangers off the park in these games and they didn't.

Don't get me wrong, I rate him, he plays high press, high energy front foot football from the off, and he is brave where he plays it no matter the opposition (which i think is a bit naive at times in Europe to be honest), but it is great to watch. What i don't know is how good he is considering his lack of challenge domestically, and i think we would see that answered next season more as i think Beale's Rangers will put up more of a challenge than Gio's Rangers.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
His appointment, or potential appointment has gone down like a lead balloon among their fanbase. Fume is the word.