4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

I like him in the deeper role. I think he’ll be ready next season.

Loublaze

ATLien
I like him in the deeper role. I think he’ll be ready next season.
I hope so. The hype around him dissipated, but that's a good thing for him, allows him to focus on his game without the intense scrutiny and expectations.

kundalini

I disagree with him. Thought Gomes has been our best player this season along with Greenwood (followed by Garner). Think last season was a better example of that opinion as he didn't take to the u23s as well in his very few appearances before injury. In general it's true that he isn't in the same stage of development as Foden and Hudson Odoi, but again, more so due to last season. He's been pretty class this season.

It was a good, measured, and accurate critique compared to the hype he had though. Some fans think Gomes is Messi where as his play style is much different (aside from talent).

Any perceived low performance should be aimed at Sbragia's inability to get the best out of the players he has even if acknowledging how much changing there is in the u23s.
My view, for what it's worth, is that U23s and first team football at PL/CL level are so different that you don't know how a player will perform until you see them in action for the first team. Ideally it's a gradual development such as McTominay has had, plenty of training with the first team squad to see if they can cope, then domestic Cup start or end of season PL game, competitive PL game at home against modest opponent, observe how they do, then if ready, start them in more difficult matches. Admittedly, Rashford got thrown in the deep end and coped amazingly well. So did Borthwick-Jackson and McNair (his form collapsed later on).

Since I have no idea how Angel performs in first team training, I don't know if I would view him as ready for a domestic Cup start, or end of season PL game if chance of top 4 has gone. Taking Gomes on the summer tour and giving him a reasonable amount of playing time, would seem like a sensible move. Not sure whether a loan next season would be preferable to a few starts in domestic Cup games. Europa League could be a good stepping stone for the 4 youngsters that the club appears to rate above the rest.

These last few weeks have demonstrated how much abuse players get when the first team loses matches. I have absolutely no idea which of our youngsters could cope in this environment.

From memory, Andreas Pereira wasn't quite Gomes level in the U23s, yet he's found it difficult to impose his quality on games this season, with the exception of a brilliant goal against Southampton, a superb cross in the same match and a good performance against Leicester in the opening match of the season. And he's had two years on loan in La Liga to get used to the physical side of the game. Andreas also comes near the top of the distance covered per 90 mins stats for our players.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

If we fail to beat Chelsea, then yeah why not? Going into next season, I want him to be considered a fully fledged member of our first team squad. Aside from Pogba, we don't have another midfield player with his imagination and technical ability. He's a joy to watch and I believe he can play a big part in the future success of the club. Along with others from our academy, he just needs an opportunity.
I agree, we need to win our last three games for a decent shout at the top four, if we fail against CHelsea to win, its all over. That is the point to experiment and give more time to some youngsters as a taster.
Imagine Ole put some of our youngsters in against Chelsea, as awful as the first team has been recently, if they were poor and we got beat narrowly, he would get slaughtered

bdecuc

Just my opinion l think Gomes is finally starting to look a bit like the player he was a couple of years ago. I don't think it's any surprise his development hasn't been in a straight line given his physique. Played very well recently in u23s. Still think he might take time to adapt to full time premier league though. Few months ago I'd have put my money on him not making it at highest level. Now looks more hopeful which is great.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we can modernise our play then he’d be perfect for a quick, short passing game. He won’t be brilliant in matches where it gets stretched and end to end - a physicality match.

Technique wise though he’s top draw. He greenwood and Chong work nicely together.

-Supreme-

Really like the look of him, next season is a great timing to promote our youth talents and get rid of those average & expensive squad players

Herrera ---> Mctominay
Mata ---> Gomes
Lingard ---> Greenwood
Rojo / Bailey / Jones ---> Tuanzebe

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Really like the look of him, next season is a great timing to promote our youth talents and get rid of those average & expensive squad players

Herrera ---> Mctominay
Mata ---> Gomes
Lingard ---> Greenwood
I agree with this 100% especially as we will most likely be in the Europa League. (But I would keep Lingard).

Get rid of 10. Sign 6 and promote the best 4 youngsters.

-Supreme-

I agree with this 100% especially as we will most likely be in the Europa League. (But I would keep Lingard).

Get rid of 10. Sign 6 and promote the best 4 youngsters.
I didn't mind Lingard as a squad player before but I'm really struggling to see any real benefit of keeping him with this group coming through now.

red_john

He looks very calm and collected on the ball with great technique which we currently lack. I think with all of the recent shenanigans, Ole will be looking close at the young lads in the academy to play a big part next season. Gomes will certainly be one of them.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I didn't mind Lingard as a squad player before but I'm really struggling to see any real benefit of keeping him with this group coming through now.
Because no one is gonna buy him with those 100k/wk wages, unless we're giving him for free.

SteveW

Just my opinion l think Gomes is finally starting to look a bit like the player he was a couple of years ago. I don't think it's any surprise his development hasn't been in a straight line given his physique. Played very well recently in u23s. Still think he might take time to adapt to full time premier league though. Few months ago I'd have put my money on him not making it at highest level. Now looks more hopeful which is great.
He's definitely come up a level recently. He's now playing for the u23s like he used to in the u18s. He's been a joy to watch in recent games.

I dont think there's a need to rush him. He's still very young.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Love his weight of passing and timing. Doesn't hang on to it until passing windows are closed. If he can some how adapt to the physicality of first team football I think he could play as an 8 for us.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He’s dripping talent this kid. He might take a little while longer to establish himself at the top level, but I have no doubt he’ll make it. He has almost everything to his game; a velvet touch, a pin point pass, vision and a brilliant understanding of the game. His only true weakness is his physicality, but I think he’s aggressive enough to negate that to an acceptable level.

izec

fantastic game to be honest. His technique is superb, decision making already very good. Him and Greenwood are the 2 outstanding ones for me, Garner behind them and then Chong. I think all 4 work well together. I would be looking to include them all in the first team more often soon, i hope they can show their talent on the tour.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
fantastic game to be honest. His technique is superb, decision making already very good. Him and Greenwood are the 2 outstanding ones for me, Garner behind them and then Chong. I think all 4 work well together. I would be looking to include them all in the first team more often soon, i hope they can show their talent on the tour.
Easy to forget that he is only 18 year old. Seems like he has been around forever. But seriously, will he bulk up? His is not just short. He is tiny. Fraser and other short players just look more muscular.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Herrera ---> Mctominay
Mata ---> Gomes
Lingard ---> Greenwood
One can only hope but it would be great to have more kids. They are all talented enough and I rather see a kid give his all then a senior player struggling with basics

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
One can only hope but it would be great to have more kids. They are all talented enough and I rather see a kid give his all then a senior player struggling with basics
While on ridiculous wages too.

izec

Easy to forget that he is only 18 year old. Seems like he has been around forever. But seriously, will he bulk up? His is not just short. He is tiny. Fraser and other short players just look more muscular.
I think his height and lack of upper body muscles is exaggerated. Fraser is a winger, who has to run up and down and goes into athletic offensive and defensive 1vs1 all the time against defenders and wingers. Fraser is all pace and power. A better comparison for Gomes would be Foden, and they are both similar in terms of size and strength. Mata is probably the softest player in the league and he was one of the best players in the league for Chelsea. As long as Gomes works on his upper body strength, building up leg muscles and how to keep away from challenges/position himself on the pitch, he will be fine. That will come in the next few years, there are plenty of great players to look up to. He is not Pogba and wrestles with 3 players in the midfield every 5 minutes to show how strong he is.

Intelligence is the key, and United need to adapt their game to intelligence, positioning and passing rather than all pace and power (which is useful too, but as your only weapon, not so much), that will help Gomes immensely.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think his height and lack of upper body muscles is exaggerated. Fraser is a winger, who has to run up and down and goes into athletic offensive and defensive 1vs1 all the time against defenders and wingers. Fraser is all pace and power. A better comparison for Gomes would be Foden, and they are both similar in terms of size and strength. Mata is probably the softest player in the league and he was one of the best players in the league for Chelsea. As long as Gomes works on his upper body strength, building up leg muscles and how to keep away from challenges/position himself on the pitch, he will be fine. That will come in the next few years, there are plenty of great players to look up to. He is not Pogba and wrestles with 3 players in the midfield every 5 minutes to show how strong he is.

Intelligence is the key, and United need to adapt their game to intelligence, positioning and passing rather than all pace and power (which is useful too, but as your only weapon, not so much), that will help Gomes immensely.
The size difference between Foden and Gomes is quite significant, and is probably the reason why Foden is a bit ahead of him at the moment. Dont think he is that much more talented as a footballer.

That being said, if Gomes make it he will have to be really special.

Red_toad

The size difference between Foden and Gomes is quite significant, and is probably the reason why Foden is a bit ahead of him at the moment. Dont think he is that much more talented as a footballer.

That being said, if Gomes make it he will have to be really special.
To be honest if he can survive the under 23 league, he'll be more than able to play in the first team. Players get very little protection in the under 23's, some brutal tackles go unpunished, as ref's are terrible.

jb8521

Exactly, I've seen some some people have started hyping other players & saying they're better than Gomes based mainly on u18s performances while ignoring the fact that if Gomes was born a few hours later he'd still be an u18 this season when he took the piss out of the u18s league 2 seasons ago.

Raven

Everything he does with the ball is just silk. Got that thing where he just makes it all looks easy.

passing-wind

Don't care if he's small, he's got more talent in his size 5 foot than Lingards got in his entire career as a professional.

Greenwood is a youth prodigy he's better than Rashford for me because he's actually a striker. Rashford is too stupid to play wide and even more dumb to play centrally. These guys needs games.

izec

Don't care if he's small, he's got more talent in his size 5 foot than Lingards got in his entire career as a professional.

Greenwood is a youth prodigy he's better than Rashford for me because he's actually a striker. Rashford is too stupid to play wide and even more dumb to play centrally. These guys needs games.
there is no point throwing them in this setup and team IMO, they would look lost. Pre season it is

ArjenIsM3

He'll get his chance during pre-season, just like Garner, Greenwood, Chong, etc. I'm sure if they impress Ole there they'll get games next season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He'll get his chance during pre-season, just like Garner, Greenwood, Chong, etc. I'm sure if they impress Ole there they'll get games next season.
This has been said about gomes for about 2 summers now

ArjenIsM3

This has been said about gomes for about 2 summers now
The difference being we now have a manager that's proven to be willing to put faith in our youngsters. It also helps OGS isn't hell bent on having a squad filled with giants like Mourinho was.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I remember a few players that were hyped and were taking the piss at youth level but didn't amount to much in the senior game.

Players like Nil Lamptey who was tipped by Pele to be his successor and outshone the likes of Seba Veron, Del Piero and Guardiola at youth level, sadly never made it.

Ricardo Quaresma was tipped as the biggest talent since Figo and Rui Costa and better than C Ronaldo when he was coming through at SCP, but couldn't quite translate that to senior football. Still had a decent career.

Fabio Paim was another that was lauded as being better than Ronaldo and Quaresma at SCP but never amounted to much in the senior game. There's many more examples too.

Gomes, Chong, Mason etc are very talented youth players but will need to step up to the plate and transfer that ability/talent when given the opportunity in the first team. Or else United will bring players that will. Next season will give us a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.