Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The difference being we now have a manager that's proven to be willing to put faith in our youngsters. It also helps OGS isn't hell bent on having a squad filled with giants like Mourinho was.
Has done nothing more than Jose did whilst here. In fact he has proven when it comes to the crunch hes has leaned more to towards experience even when said experience players have been rubbish. (Young, Sanchez etc)

Hope he proves more wrong in the summer and next season.

48 hours

His season highlights

Though it needs to be watched on YouTube due to the owner setting a restriction

Bestietom

Maybe his size will hold him back here, but he has great talent and can win a game for you.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Has done nothing more than Jose did whilst here. In fact he has proven when it comes to the crunch hes has leaned more to towards experience even when said experience players have been rubbish. (Young, Sanchez etc)

Hope he proves more wrong in the summer and next season.
Fairly sure we’ve had youngsters more frequently on the bench since Ole took over. Plus first team debuts for Greenwood and Chong.

League Cup next season will be a real test of Ole’s youth development credentials. It was depressing the way Mourinho - unlike all our rival managers and all our previous campaigns - didn’t use this as a chance to play some kids. Surely Ole won’t do the same?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Fairly sure we’ve had youngsters more frequently on the bench since Ole took over. Plus first team debuts for Greenwood and Chong.

League Cup next season will be a real test of Ole’s youth development credentials. It was depressing the way Mourinho - unlike all our rival managers and all our previous campaigns - didn’t use this as a chance to play some kids. Surely Ole won’t do the same?
He did say after the summer pre season that it was unlikely that we were going to see them again. That depressed me no end

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I'm hopeful Ole will do a lot better. Jose also gave debuts though and have a few youngsters on the bench was more my point. Roll on next season hope to see a few more consistent appearances especially in cups, or if we are in Europa League

Hoof the ball

Maybe his size will hold him back here, but he has great talent and can win a game for you.
With these kind of players you really need them to play for a team who employs a fluid system, like City's. The less likely the team is to engage in physical duels across the field, the less likely he will struggle. You've just got to give talented players the right environment to express themselves.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

The League Cup thing is not that controversial when you think about it. People can say ‘if the kids can’t even play in the LC...’, but the reality is there will always be senior squad players who regularly feature in and around the squad who should be ahead to start before them. If we go Smalling/Lindelöf in the league more often than not, naturally Bailly and Jones would be next in line, and I’d be furious if I was them and still didn’t get picked in the League Cup. There are others in a similar bracket like whichever two have been missing out in attack. That could be players like Anthony Martial and Alexis Sanchez in reality - more proven players who haven’t been starting. A couple of younger players should get in, but they are still relying on injuries to start I reckon.

-Supreme-

The League Cup thing is not that controversial when you think about it. People can say ‘if the kids can’t even play in the LC...’, but the reality is there will always be senior squad players who regularly feature in and around the squad who should be ahead to start before them. If we go Smalling/Lindelöf in the league more often than not, naturally Bailly and Jones would be next in line, and I’d be furious if I was them and still didn’t get picked in the League Cup. There are others in a similar bracket like whichever two have been missing out in attack. That could be players like Anthony Martial and Alexis Sanchez in reality - more proven players who haven’t been starting. A couple of younger players should get in, but they are still relying on injuries to start I reckon.
Exactly. And most importantly it allows the senior squad players to get match fitness.

If Ole wants to feature youth players more regularly next season he will need to trim down some of his senior squad players and replace them with youth

For example:

Herrera ---> Mctominay
Mata ---> Gomes
Lingard ---> Greenwood
Rojo / Bailey / Jones ---> Tuanzebe

dutchred

Exactly. And most importantly it allows the senior squad players to get match fitness.

If Ole wants to feature youth players more regularly next season he will need to trim down some of his senior squad players and replace them with youth

For example:

Herrera ---> Mctominay
Mata ---> Gomes
Lingard ---> Greenwood
Rojo / Bailey / Jones ---> Tuanzebe
and
Matic----> Garner
Young ---> Laird/Dalot

Thiagoal

He's technically the most talented player in our squad- looks to have it all! I think he needs a run in our first team to see if he'll get bullied or if he can physically cope with first team football

Ekeke

Just to say Wenger was interested in Modric, but thought he was too small to play CM in the premier league. Thats obviously not just his 5'8 height but also his slight build.

Ryan Fraser at 5'4 is the smallest player in the premier league apparently, then Torreira at 5'6. Pablo Piatti is 5'4 and the smallest in la liga

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Just to say Wenger was interested in Modric, but thought he was too small to play CM in the premier league. Thats obviously not just his 5'8 height but also his slight build.

Ryan Fraser at 5'4 is the smallest player in the premier league apparently, then Torreira at 5'6. Pablo Piatti is 5'4 and the smallest in la liga
At some point, you would think it became irrelevant. If you can play there at 5’6 or 5’4, why not 5’3?

I have tried suggesting previously that the amount of players being as small as Gomes can be explained by probability.

Less than 2 percent of grown men are as small as Gomes. Initially that would imply that 2 percent of all professional footballers should be his size.

But in at least four out of elleven positions (goalkeeper, central defenders and strikers) you cant be that small. You could probably also argue that being a full back would be difficult for a player that small. That could imply, all else equal and height irrelevant in all other positions, that less than 1 % of footballers should be expected to be that small.

Furthermore, small footballers do obviously have a disadvantage in more positions and roles than taller ones. While a footballer at average height with limited ability could be a limited «utility»-player (given brains and effort) used ad-hoc and tall players could be used in a system for their aerial threath, small players need to be that talented magician. Often the player running things at the centre of the park. And that could explain why there is so few small players.

Coops73

Looks like an exceptional talent from what I’ve seen of him, I know they’re still young but you just hope the likes of him, Greenwood, Garner and Chong can make some sort of impact next season with the first team, it’d be more exciting to see them do really well than any new signing for me.

In Rainbows

At some point, you would think it became irrelevant. If you can play there at 5’6 or 5’4, why not 5’3?

I have tried suggesting previously that the amount of players being as small as Gomes can be explained by probability.

Less than 2 percent of grown men are as small as Gomes. Initially that would imply that 2 percent of all professional footballers should be his size.

But in at least four out of elleven positions (goalkeeper, central defenders and strikers) you cant be that small. You could probably also argue that being a full back would be difficult for a player that small. That could imply, all else equal and height irrelevant in all other positions, that less than 1 % of footballers should be expected to be that small.

Furthermore, small footballers do obviously have a disadvantage in more positions and roles than taller ones. While a footballer at average height with limited ability could be a limited «utility»-player (given brains and effort) used ad-hoc and tall players could be used in a system for their aerial threath, small players need to be that talented magician. Often the player running things at the centre of the park. And that could explain why there is so few small players.
Exactly. There is no reason why his size will have a big impact on his game when his style is so geared towards not putting himself in those physical situations. It's the same reason why I feel someone like Chong will struggle with the physical game more so than Gomes despite being taller.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He is short, but what he has in his favour is having outstanding technical ability. Would like to see him get a start in one of the two remaining games to see how he does.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Just fecking play him. Away with deckers that have proven to not be good enough.

willhse456

I'd play him in a double pivot.
I assume this is long term, rather than against Huddersfield and Cardiff? In the youth teams does he dribble a lot? Due to his size he'll have to learn to play a two touch game I think.

Bwuk

Highly doubt he'll play in a double pivot in this league as it's put a lot of pressure on his partner to win headers from GKs.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I assume this is long term, rather than against Huddersfield and Cardiff? In the youth teams does he dribble a lot? Due to his size he'll have to learn to play a two touch game I think.
His game is basically one or two touch and his dribbling is also very good but he knows how to mix it up. A very aesthetically pleasing player to watch.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Highly doubt he'll play in a double pivot in this league as it's put a lot of pressure on his partner to win headers from GKs.
Yep no chance, not against Long ballers like them.

If he does play he will play as the AMC or off the wing IMO.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Xavi would've been fecked in our setup because he couldn't win a header for toffee either.

deafepl

I am pretty sure Angel Gomes will play off on a wing, advanced midfielder or behind the striker, until he transitioning to CM in his early 20s

In Rainbows

Scholes was more physical and had more aggression in him.
That doesn't really refute the point that Scholes puts more pressure on his partner to win headers.

Both Scholes and Gomes don't play with a style that puts their size at a disadvantage.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Class act...seems to fall under the radar a bit with Ole though? Seems to mention Garner and Chong more than Gomez and he's way more talented than both

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think sometimes he's a bit hesitant and slows things down. If he becomes more self confident in his game and trusts himself to play 100mph then he's got it all, touch, pace, composure, even his physique is fine given his low centre of gravity.

Fosu-Mens

Best for him to play in a team dominant in possession. If we are controlling a game, he would be of more use than many of our other midfielders, but with the number of players we will have in the squad next season incapable of playing in a possessionbased team he will not be played to his strenghts.

Bestietom

With these kind of players you really need them to play for a team who employs a fluid system, like City's. The less likely the team is to engage in physical duels across the field, the less likely he will struggle. You've just got to give talented players the right environment to express themselves.
I do agree, and I would love to see Gomes get his chance. I seen him play several times for the Youths and he has the skill to win a game for you. I would like to see him play in the Modric role.

Redtings

United, even under SAF's reign, would seldom play successfully with a number 10. I think Gomes is the most talented and exciting out of the "youthful 4", yet I feel his position, more than his physical stature, would hinder him.

That being said, once Ole (hopefully) establishes his style of football, he would suit it and be given a chance. And yes, it is a shame he isn't mentioned as frequently as Chong or Greenwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.