Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Don't get what so strange about my comment. I'm going by his height reported online. Of course he deserves a chance but right now his heigh is a concern for me. Time will tell how good he is.
Height reported online of a youth player which is years old? You may as well make up a random height yourself and claim it as fact.

Angel Gomes is 5'3 and billed as 115 lbs
Again, according to who? Some site who has pulled it out of their ass because there simply doesn't exist a site that has in anyway an accurate reading of youth players height and weight. It is all completely made up and largely years out of date.

Rendering these entire discussions completely pointless.

SteveW

Strange comment.
He isn't 5'3. Looks more 5'6 in recent photos.

And If Gomes was playing Vs Liverpool, then he wouldn't challenge Van Dijk in the air or have his back to goal with VVD pressing him from behind, Gomes is a maestro, the type of player who finds space and plays tidy little passes and through balls. Not sure if he's the real deal yet but deserves a chance.
He's slightly under 5'3

SteveW

The height thing isn't the end of the world. It's a disadvantage but not everything. He's a special talent. If he's given chances and asserts himself he'll be fine.

Hoof the ball

Again, according to who? Some site who has pulled it out of their ass because there simply doesn't exist a site that has in anyway an accurate reading of youth players height and weight. It is all completely made up and largely years out of date.

Rendering these entire discussions completely pointless.
Supposing we use the following photo as a comparative measurement, and knowing that Rooney is 5'9, it looks like Gomes in this photo (at that time) was around 5'6. Transfermarkt is the only place that has him at 1.68, which would line up with the photo below. Granted, Rooney is slightly slouching, but even then it's clear he's not under 5'4.

This ones from Sunday. Mata is meant to be 5'7. Discounting Gomes' big hair, I'd put him at 5'5-5'6.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Supposing we use the following photo as a comparative measurement, and knowing that Rooney is 5'9, it looks like Gomes in this photo (at that time) was around 5'6. Transfermarkt is the only place that has him at 1.68, which would line up with the photo below. Granted, Rooney is slightly slouching, but even then it's clear he's not under 5'4.

This ones from Sunday. Mata is meant to be 5'7. Discounting Gomes' big hair, I'd put him at 5'5-5'6.

Exactly, so the entire google says 5'3 discussion is pointless because he clearly isn't. Yet it is mentioned every page in here as if ESPN are going around measuring youth footballers.

Pughnichi

Oh my days. Why are you so obsessed about height. We’ve done height...Fellaini. Matic. Let’s move on. If the boy can play (and he can) he should get minutes whether he’s 4”11 or 6”10

deafepl

Probably an unpopular opinion, I think Gomes is more technically gifted than Pogba, his dribbling is superior to Pogba because of his low gravity, I'm not sure about passing but for sure, Gomes like to play through balls and short passes and make himself available off the balls, he can dictate from deep as Pogba does. Only Pogba has the thing over him is physical and win the aerial battle, proven to be world class.

He could play Thiago/Verrarti type as a controller midfielder.

I am looking forward to Mason Greenwood, Garner, and Gomes. They all have a bright future. Chong is decent, I like him more for his work rate.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Oh my days. Why are you so obsessed about height. We’ve done height...Fellaini. Matic. Let’s move on. If the boy can play (and he can) he should get minutes whether he’s 4”11 or 6”10
If hes not 5'3 then that's good but if he was or if he was 4 '11 he wouldn't be playing premier league football

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If hes not 5'3 then that's good but if he was or if he was 4 '11 he wouldn't be playing premier league football
You're entitled to your very helpful and relevant opinion.

Rossa

I don't want him on loan as I feel we could do with a player like him in the first team - but I kind of also want to see him on loan on Spain.
Completely agree with this. He's a player that I can't remember us having. I'd say having him as part of the first team with some starts and some cameos would be great. A loan to Spain would probably be great as well, but if. Ole is serious about playing youngsters, gomes and greenwood deserve their chance.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I've never understood this preoccupation with height in football, either generally or in terms of "well, you need the extra physicality to play in the PL". It's not the fecking NBA.

The likes of Verratti and Insigne are absolute midgets. Who would be whinging about this if we signed them?

Fraser, Kante, Lanzini, Pedro, Torreira, Bernard: All midgets. All doing just fine in the PL.

Maradona: 5'5". Messi: 5'6". Pele: 5'8". All pretty decent at kicking a ball around a pitch by all accounts.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I've never understood this preoccupation with height in football, either generally or in terms of "well, you need the extra physicality to play in the PL". It's not the fecking NBA.

The likes of Verratti and Insigne are absolute midgets. Who would be whinging about this is we signed them?

Fraser, Kante, Lanzini, Pedro, Torreira, Bernard: All absolute midgets. All doing just fine in the PL.

Maradona: 5'5". Messi: 5'6". Pele: 5'8". All pretty decent at kicking a ball around a pitch by all accounts.
It’s such an old school British football mentality. Ridiculous and so out of touch. Technically and intelligence wise he’s a first team squad player bare minimum so why are we treating him like a reject at times?

Snafu17

We are treating him like an 18 year old youth player not a reject. He probably should get more minutes and he very likely will next season, if he stays, but 18 year olds getting regular minutes at a club like United is absolutely not the norm.

In Rainbows

It’s such an old school British football mentality. Ridiculous and so out of touch. Technically and intelligence wise he’s a first team squad player bare minimum so why are we treating him like a reject at times?
Because his *checks notes* 20 minutes at first team level have substantially proven he's not physically ready. :lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We are treating him like an 18 year old youth player not a reject. He probably should get more minutes and he very likely will next season, if he stays, but 18 year olds getting regular minutes at a club like United is absolutely not the norm.
He should have had more minutes considering the crap with have and when he made his debut. And the fact he has looked good any times hes been involved.

Can’t help but feel he is being mismanaged due to his height

In Rainbows

Phil Foden is tiny but that doesn’t seem to have stopped Pep giving him minutes here and there...
Because Pep is a fraud when it comes to youth and Foden's *checks notes* 1000 minutes at first team level prove he has no faith in him.

edit: Foden is taller than Gomes btw. However, both of them play in a way where they don't put their physical "inferiority" into question. Any question should be aimed at their brain to handle first team level. Pep has given Foden minutes to make that assessment. Ole has not.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
When you have a kid who is that technically gifted and intelligent for his age - he should have been given a lot more first team minutes than he has. United have always been slow in recent years to blood the more technically gifts talents and by the time they’ve stagnated it’s too late as they miss that window of opportunity to speed up their development and eradicate bad habits from playing at a level too easy for them. In contrast whenever we have a physically advanced talent - we have no hesitation blooding then and over hyping them.

If Scholes came through over the past 10 years - lord knows how we would have developed him.

United used to be the best English club at knowing which youngsters to gamble on and trusting in them - now we tend to make questionable calls.

I hope Ole is able to see which youngsters have what it takes and who don’t and use the carrot and stick approach appropriately. His handling of Rashford and his reluctance to introduce Gomes so far doesn’t give me confidence he has that innate sense. Early days though but it’s crucial the club and its management has a modern mindset and makes good progressive decisions.

Snafu17

He should have had more minutes considering the crap with have and when he made his debut. And the fact he has looked good any times hes been involved.

Can’t help but feel he is being mismanaged due to his height
Yeah he looked good in the 20 minutes he played, but that doesn't he would able to perform consistently. There's a variety of reasons why there are so few teenagers playing regular football and letting him develop physically (not talking about just height) and mentally is absolutely a sensible reason.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah he looked good in the 20 minutes he played, but that doesn't he would able to perform consistently. There's a variety of reasons why there are so few teenagers playing regular football and letting him develop physically (not talking about just height) and mentally is absolutely a sensible reason.
Like I said. He should have had more minutes. I didn't say he should be a regular. His number of minutes since his debut is concerning especially when you look at who has been getting minutes in-front of him

In Rainbows

Like I said. He should have had more minutes. I didn't say he should be a regular. His number of minutes since his debut is concerning especially when you look at who has been getting minutes in-front of him
Yep. Absolutely no excuse for him to not be given a start considering his performances and technical ability. How can we assess whether the game is too fast for him at that level without giving him a chance to test that out? How can he be convinced he lacks physically without giving him a chance to test that out? The fact that Chong has gotten more minutes than Gomes despite Gomes outperforming him this entire season, being the more technical player, and being the more mature player mentally says a lot.

AgentP

What's his contract situation like? If he has a year or two, then I'm not worried. If he is a free agent this summer, then there's a good chance he might leave.

Snafu17

Yep. Absolutely no excuse for him to not be given a start considering his performances and technical ability. How can we assess whether the game is too fast for him at that level without giving him a chance to test that out? How can he be convinced he lacks physically without giving him a chance to test that out?
We can't, but surely people who observe him playing against physically ready premier league player in training every day can? I think he should play more as well, he certainly looked better than Chong, but for all we know, and we know pretty much feck all, he's not being hard done at all.

Raven

What's his contract situation like? If he has a year or two, then I'm not worried. If he is a free agent this summer, then there's a good chance he might leave.
Surely not, he's been at the club since he was six. I'm fairly sure he'll get his chance, if he takes it, he'll probably have a long career for us.

In Rainbows

We can't, but surely people who observe him playing against physically ready premier league player in training every day can? I think he should play more as well, he certainly looked better than Chong, but for all we know, and we know pretty much feck all, he's not being hard done at all.
I don't see why he would struggle against those players, but not Chong. Chong is skinny so he'll get bullied just as much as Gomes would. Gomes has better technical ability, and his decision making is better. Gomes plays in a way where his physical ability isn't some factor and Chong does. Knowing all this, I'm not going to believe Chong has done better against our players in training and all the minutes Gomes' gotten at United (all 30 minutes) have shown his physical stature was left wanting.

He rides a tackle pretty well right here.

AgentP

Surely not, he's been at the club since he was six. I'm fairly sure he'll get his chance, if he takes it, he'll probably have a long career for us.
I checked. He has another year left. I'm sure he'll sign an extension before that if we include him in our plans. He could play regularly in Europa and the domestic cups.

Devil81

I'd love him to get a few run outs next season but given the importance of every result it's getting harder and harder to play youth team players these days.

Europa could be his door to the first team.

izec

Interesting that Herrera named Garner and Greenwood as stars of the future but not Gomes
Maybe Herrera knows more regarding his future i.e. he wont be here for too long :wenger:

I think if we play him next year, he will stay. Otherwise he could leave next summer (2020). He waited very long to sign his professional contract here, because he had a lot of other options as well. He knows he is good and would play at another club or in another league.

Think this is a warning to United from his camp to give him much more minutes next season. Foden plays in a much more competitive team and people slate Pep for not playing him more, while Gomes played 2 or 3 times for a few minutes. It is the perfect time to give him and other youth players a chance in the first team with the massive rebuild and 'transition'

Last edited:

passing-wind

Gomes should be the future of an advanced midfield role, he's physicality shouldn't matter. Ole is so tactically inept he won't be able to implement a system that requires the team to function as opposed to individual brilliance (hence why our winning run ended when Pogba's form dropped).

This club is headed in a very questionable direction if the likes of Gomes are allowed to leave, Phil Foden is as skinny / frail as Gomes and he's Pep has him included in the city team. I've already lost faith with Solskjaer, but I cannot stomach Angel leaving he's one of the best in our youth ranks behind Greenwood.

Redtings

Yep. Absolutely no excuse for him to not be given a start considering his performances and technical ability. How can we assess whether the game is too fast for him at that level without giving him a chance to test that out? How can he be convinced he lacks physically without giving him a chance to test that out? The fact that Chong has gotten more minutes than Gomes despite Gomes outperforming him this entire season, being the more technical player, and being the more mature player mentally says a lot.
I think managers tend to fall into the trap of "giving a player his debut" and start to feel a little biased towards him. Gomes got his debut under Mourinho if I'm not mistaken while Chong got his under Ole, and has since player many more minutes.

That's pure speculation on my part, but it is a recurring thought I've been getting.

On a less speculative note, I thought Gomes made an excellent substitute appearance, and played a mature game. Him and Greenwood seem to add that extra energy and belief that you cannot find anywhere in the starting XI right now. I hope he gets a lot more game time next season, as we still need to find out more about the him at the top level. Things like his mentality when we are a goal or two down, his bottle when we need to hold out for the win, and his patience when playing against a defensive low-block, along with his more technical attributes like his shooting, crossing and final ball consistency.

We need him to stay and fulfill his potential, to prove that the youth is genuinely good enough to compete with the first team and cement their positions in the squad.

Last edited:

Red_toad

Hopefully the lad doesn't get some of the disgraceful comments on social media aimed at him again like he did when the whole he's going to Barca was going on, just before he signed his new contract. I do agree he needs to be more involved in the first team and probably would have gotten a lot more game time, if not for our dire form toward the end of the season. I don't believe the PSG crap that going on, just like I very much doubted the Barca stuff. But we shall see...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The biggest reason I want Mata out. Solskjaer should put his money where his mouth is.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I love him. I can't wait to see more of him next season.

SteveW

I really like this kid. Such an inventive player. He's tiny but if he can get stronger over the next few years he should be fine.

Needs to be given some chances next season.

SER19

Hope the current chatter about him being unhappy is false and we see more of him next year, with league cup and UEFA cup there’s plenty of time to give him his chances. He’s 18 now, let’s see him. Though I’ve only seen a little of him, he excites me most of any of our youngsters, theres a confidence about him that young players sometimes lack.

Status
Not open for further replies.