4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SER19

Phil Foden is tiny but that doesn’t seem to have stopped Pep giving him minutes here and there...
Agree. The size discussion needs to stop. There are so many talented small and light players, let him play and his body will catch up eventually in terms of strength.

MUFC OK

He's signed a long term contract so it's in the clubs hands, maybe a loan would suit him well.

Agree. The size discussion needs to stop. There are so many talented small and light players, let him play and his body will catch up eventually in terms of strength.
A lot of talk about his size being irrelevant but he's literally 5'3 iirc. That's smaller than any player I can think of. Hope it doesn't prevent him from reaching his potential but remains to be seen.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's signed a long term contract so it's in the clubs hands, maybe a loan would suit him well.

A lot of talk about his size being irrelevant but he's literally 5'3 iirc. That's smaller than any player I can think of. Hope it doesn't prevent him from reaching his potential but remains to be seen.
He isn't that small. There are other smaller players playing in this league and doing just fine (pritchard from Huddersfield for example). The premier league isn't as rough as it used to be in the 90/00's.

Bwuk

He isn't that small. There are other smaller players playing in this league and doing just fine (pritchard from Huddersfield for example). The premier league isn't as rough as it used to be in the 90/00's.
A bench player in a side that got relegated.

The league is physical but not as rough. It's about being able to retain the ball under the press.

However, he'll always be a liability when defending set pieces. I like Gomes but I'm not convinced he'll make it here, neither him nor Chong will imo. Greenwood and Garner the most likely.

MUFC OK

Where do we play him though? Not sure we should be looking to deploy a no.10 and does he have the pace for the wing? I genuinely dont know.

He can take Mata's minutes for me all day.

Grande

Because Pep is a fraud when it comes to youth and Foden's *checks notes* 1000 minutes at first team level prove he has no faith in him.

edit: Foden is taller than Gomes btw. However, both of them play in a way where they don't put their physical "inferiority" into question. Any question should be aimed at their brain to handle first team level. Pep has given Foden minutes to make that assessment. Ole has not.
I want 1000 Czech 20 notes. (Though I agree Ole has not given Foden many minutes).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, Fraser is also just 5.4 and Torreira is couple of inches taller. Height shouldn't be a problem.

Not saying we should play him week in week out, but he should be a squad player next season.

SirAF

Ageist
Where do we play him though? Not sure we should be looking to deploy a no.10 and does he have the pace for the wing? I genuinely dont know.

He can take Mata's minutes for me all day.
Agreed.

Based Adnan

Was only a matter of time till this came out. He's a better talent then Phil Foden yet when Foden doesn't play that much there's calls in the media for him to start. He's also played 26 games this season and started a few important games and got some important winners.

Angel on the other hand, despite only being 3 months younger, has had nothing of the sort. 2 appearances this season totaling at tops maybe 20 minutes of football? He should be having way way more then that. Don't care about his size, Foden is tiny as well and Gomes has the technical ability to make his size a non factor. Ship off Mata and let him eat up some of Lingard's massive minutes as well. It's a bit of a joke how little he's played till now.

Mickson

We play him in a midfield three.

Matic
Gomes - Pogba

It's pathetic by Ole who claims to be giving youth a chance when he clearly does not. Not saying Gomes should be a starter but how does he not start against Cardiff? Or play some minutes before that? We saw in his cameo that his technical level is greater than almost all players on the pitch. Gomes is, like Greenwood, a player we should be aspiring to have. Technical ability, drive, fast legs. Players who want to play and wants to win.

Kearnkoff69

My theory is if you're Ole, you can't say you want to do things the United way and then not give our brightest and most highly rated youngsters a chance, especially in such a season of transition. Gomes deserves a chance to show what he's got and I hope we work with him to ensure he sticks instead of listening to offers from PSG, etc. Like it or not, in this football economy, young talent and potential is almost as highly valued as the real deal, and young players are moving more than ever to find situations where they have the opportunity to play and grow. Loyalty isn't a thing of the past, necessarily, but young players have realized they can do what's best for them even if that means making a move away from their parent club. We need to change the way we handle our youth system moving forward, or else we'll see our own Sanchos move abroad and flourish elsewhere.

Hoof the ball

Primarily, Gomes is not 5'3. In a photo with Mata coming off the field and Gomes coming on, Mata (who is 5'7) stands but an inch taller than Gomes. At the least that should put Gomes at 5'5 - 5'6.

Secondarily, Gomes has a smaller bone frame than the likes of Foden and Bernardo, and therefore despite the height ranges being similar in comparison, Gomes will carry less weight than the aforementioned Foden and Bernardo.

But even then, perception isn't everything. Bulkier doesn't necessarily equate to stronger. I'm 5'6 and around 180lbs. I unabashedly train for lean muscle mass and to look bigger, and therefore I'm big for my height. In contrast, there's a couple of lads in my gym that are an inch or two shorter than me, weigh probably around 155 lbs (or less) and are visible smaller than me, yet their power and strength lifts exceed my own.

The point being that Gomes' goal is to get stronger and not necessarily bigger in appearance. It isn't a direct correlation.

Steven-UK

How did he look against Cardiff when he came on?
Didn't even notice he was on the pitch to be honest.

Although to bring young players on when we have already lost the match is not the best judge of the player. I personally think all the subs look like youth players when they came on, even Greenwood, but it's a big step up, and the nerves will have been there.

Matic
Gomes - Pogba
That has a relegation remedy written all over it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Matic
Gomes - Pogba

It's pathetic by Ole who claims to be giving youth a chance when he clearly does not. Not saying Gomes should be a starter but how does he not start against Cardiff? Or play some minutes before that? We saw in his cameo that his technical level is greater than almost all players on the pitch. Gomes is, like Greenwood, a player we should be aspiring to have. Technical ability, drive, fast legs. Players who want to play and wants to win.
The fact you put Matic there is just crazy, that midfield would get overrun

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Hopefully he goes on loan next season, send him to the Bundesliga and hopefully he'll light it up like other young English players have done

Adamsk7

Does anyone know when his contact ends? TransferMarkt says 2020 but that can't be right as he signed his first pro deal in December 2017. I would hate to lose him as think he's just as talented as Greenwood and both should be playing some games next season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Does anyone know when his contact ends? TransferMarkt says 2020 but that can't be right as he signed his first pro deal in December 2017. I would hate to lose him as think he's just as talented as Greenwood and both should be playing some games next season.
A few places are saying 2020 but none of the reliable sources seem to have a concrete date for when it expires.

Adamsk7

A few places are saying 2020 but none of the reliable sources seem to have a concrete date for when it expires.
If it is 2020 then that is ridiculous. Who signs one their most talented youth players, who has captained all of our youth teams and England's, to a three year deal?

Oh that's right....Ed Woodward.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
What I don't get is, Gomes may or may not make it at United, but we have continued to play players like Mata and Lingard in a season that we've tanked instead of actually finding out what we have in Gomes. So now do we throw him in next season when we actually have things to play for? Doubt it. So what's the bloody point of it all.

Wallez

Both Gomes and Chong needs to play regularly at the top level in their stage of the career. I think Eredivisie would suit both of them great, both in terms of level and style of play. If a mid-table team from Netherlands offers them a spot in their starting 11, it would be the perfect platform for them to develop.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Primarily, Gomes is not 5'3. In a photo with Mata coming off the field and Gomes coming on, Mata (who is 5'7) stands but an inch taller than Gomes. At the least that should put Gomes at 5'5 - 5'6.

Secondarily, Gomes has a smaller bone frame than the likes of Foden and Bernardo, and therefore despite the height ranges being similar in comparison, Gomes will carry less weight than the aforementioned Foden and Bernardo.

But even then, perception isn't everything. Bulkier doesn't necessarily equate to stronger. I'm 5'6 and around 180lbs. I unabashedly train for lean muscle mass and to look bigger, and therefore I'm big for my height. In contrast, there's a couple of lads in my gym that are an inch or two shorter than me, weigh probably around 155 lbs (or less) and are visible smaller than me, yet their power and strength lifts exceed my own.

The point being that Gomes' goal is to get stronger and not necessarily bigger in appearance. It isn't a direct correlation.
Holy cow! You are a bullet with two legs my friend.

I am four inches taller than you and maybe 20lbs heavier.

Mickson

That midfield three would get so overrun.
I'm not saying we should play that midfield three against City. It's just an example to see where he can play and how he should be used; higher up the pitch with a strong defensive midfielder behind him although not as a number 10.

crossy1686

career ending
Just throw him in the first team with the rest of the lads who are supposedly good enough. They'll make it or they won't. They definitely won't make it if they keep playing reserve football exclusively.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I agree with Gomes if the those reports are true, there's no need for him to still be playing youth football next season. Ease the likes of Gomes and Greenwood into the first team squad and give them chances.

Adamsk7

I’ll be more gutted if he leaves than I was with Pogba the first time.

Red_toad

He's apparently taking the PSG offer seriously. He feels he won't get a first team chance here:(
Same shite that was around not so long ago about him definitely joining Barca, just before he signed a new contract at the club. People really shouldn't be buying into speculation. He got some horrible stuff aimed at him on social media, all based on a story he never commented on. Lad wants to make the grade at United, that's his stance as that's what he's said. Supporters should be supporting players they wish to retain, not buying into media BS. Apparently isn't based on fact, it's just speculation as it get hits, that's why the media generate constant stories about our club.

Raven

I checked. He has another year left. I'm sure he'll sign an extension before that if we include him in our plans. He could play regularly in Europa and the domestic cups.
I doubt he'll leave, should get enough game time next year. As you say, the Europa should be reserved for players like him, Garner and Chong.

3KDré

Insigne?

kundalini

If it is 2020 then that is ridiculous. Who signs one their most talented youth players, who has captained all of our youth teams and England's, to a three year deal?

Oh that's right....Ed Woodward.
Angel Gomes signed his first professional contract with United on the 13th December 2017. He was born 31st August 2000. That meant he was 17 when he signed. The rules state that the max length of contract for a player under 18 is 3 years (see Law In Sport article link below and numerous other articles that state the rules). So nothing to do with Ed Woodward.

2. WHAT SORT OF CONTRACT CAN YOU AGREE WITH A CLUB IF YOU ARE UNDER 18?

The FA and FIFA regulate not only when a player can negotiate a transfer (i.e. in the transfer window), but the type of contract that a player can enter into.

The FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players 2016 (the FIFA Regulations) state that players under the age of 18 can only enter into contracts of less than three years in duration[4], and with clubs in a given geography.

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/a...hen-signing-their-first-professional-contract

http://sportwitness.co.uk/angel-gomes-verge-leaving-man-united-sees-psg-offer-seriously/

(if you haven't come across Sport Witness before, they simply translate football stories that appear in the foreign press, typically European newspapers. There's no quality control filter, though they do sometimes add sceptical comments if the story appears ridiculous)

Looks like all the British papers have taken the story from A Bola, possibly via Sport Witness.

Last edited:

Wazza4Gaffa

If his team is smart they will not sign a new deal until he gets an acceptable amount of gametime for the first team next season for him to prove himself. They can negotiate terms of a new deal with the club in January on his behalf if the requirements are met. If not, he is good and young enough to land at a top club that is willing to put more faith in him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Same shite that was around not so long ago about him definitely joining Barca, just before he signed a new contract at the club. People really shouldn't be buying into speculation. He got some horrible stuff aimed at him on social media, all based on a story he never commented on. Lad wants to make the grade at United, that's his stance as that's what he's said. Supporters should be supporting players they wish to retain, not buying into media BS. Apparently isn't based on fact, it's just speculation as it get hits, that's why the media generate constant stories about our club.
Played about 30 mins since then?

Status
Not open for further replies.