4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamsk7

Angel Gomes signed his first professional contract with United on the 13th December 2017. He was born 31st August 2000. That meant he was 17 when he signed. The rules state that the max length of contract for a player under 18 is 3 years (see Law In Sport article link below and numerous other articles that state the rules). So nothing to do with Ed Woodward.

2. WHAT SORT OF CONTRACT CAN YOU AGREE WITH A CLUB IF YOU ARE UNDER 18?

The FA and FIFA regulate not only when a player can negotiate a transfer (i.e. in the transfer window), but the type of contract that a player can enter into.

The FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players 2016 (the FIFA Regulations) state that players under the age of 18 can only enter into contracts of less than three years in duration[4], and with clubs in a given geography.

https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/a...hen-signing-their-first-professional-contract

http://sportwitness.co.uk/angel-gomes-verge-leaving-man-united-sees-psg-offer-seriously/

(if you haven't come across Sport Witness before, they simply translate football stories that appear in the foreign press, typically European newspapers.)
Didn’t know these rules, thanks for that.

Adamsk7

Also, just seen on his Insta that Jesse sent him a message on his latest post saying “many more appearances to come from you, let’s start next season strong” to which he replied positively, so that’s something.

Red_toad

Played about 30 mins since then?
Point being? Evidence of him being unhappy or his agent stirring the pot. He'd not have gotten any time at PSG other, they've got and have better options ahead of him. There's a reason why we've taken one of PSG's better young players from them, I don't see them taking one of ours with promises of first team football.
Plus he's under contract so not way are PSG going to offer enough to persuade the club to sell.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Point being? Evidence of him being unhappy or his agent stirring the pot. He'd not have gotten any time at PSG other, they've got and have better options ahead of him. There's a reason why we've taken one of PSG's better young players from them, I don't see them taking one of ours with promises of first team football.
Plus he's under contract so not way are PSG going to offer enough to persuade the club to sell.
Point being if it was an issue then (possible minutes) then having only had 30 mins since then, he may well be considering his options.

Lee565

For the moaning of toxic and downing tools of our senior members to defend Solskjear being blamed for any of the the woeful form, he still carried on with them and rather than have the courage to put one of the many talented youngsters we have in the starting line up.

If Foden can start a premier league match against Spurs, why cant Gomes get even a 20 minute cameo against the likes of West Ham, Everton or Southampton?

FerociousCorgis

For the moaning of toxic and downing tools of our senior members to defend Solskjear being blamed for any of the the woeful form, he still carried on with them and rather than have the courage to put one of the many talented youngsters we have in the starting line up.

If Foden can start a premier league match against Spurs, why cant Gomes get even a 20 minute cameo against the likes of West Ham, Everton or Southampton?
Exactly. All the talk of oh we are in a top 4 race and not the right time blah blah. We sucked ending the season with the dross we kept putting out there and Ole didnt have the stones to put his money where his mouth was with all the talk about "if you are good enough you are old enough"

mu4c_20le

Foden won the U17 world cup as well as golden ball in the tournament, he basically forced himself into the first team. Gomes still has a way to go, he has to be patient imo. He is training with the first team because the coaches feel he is talented, rather than actually having proved himself like Foden.

izec

He will be here next season and pre season as well. If he deserves to be playing, play him, simple as. Give him chances to impress. If Ole sticks with the same underperforming players, it will be a quick downfall for him. Proper youth players usually leave everything on the pitch and if they have the talent to go with it...

Cassidy

Foden won the U17 world cup as well as golden ball in the tournament, he basically forced himself into the first team. Gomes still has a way to go, he has to be patient imo. He is training with the first team because the coaches feel he is talented, rather than actually having proved himself like Foden.
Gomes also won the same cup.... was also the captain of the side, think he was a sub in the final though. Gomes has made appearances in the first team and looked quite good, he should have had more minutes than he has had up till now.

Can only imagine its the concern over his size that is holding the coaches back

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Gomes also won the same cup.... was also the captain of the side, think he was a sub in the final though. Gomes has made appearances in the first team and looked quite good, he should have had more minutes than he has had up till now.

Can only imagine its the concern over his size that is holding the coaches back
Just to extend on him being a sub, he was just returning from a lengthy injury and was visibly struggling with the extreme heat in India due to the lack of fitness. Just because people love to try use that as a reason for him not being good.

Cassidy

Just to extend on him being a sub, he was just returning from a lengthy injury and was visibly struggling with the extreme heat in India due to the lack of fitness. Just because people love to try use that as a reason for him not being good.
Thats fair didn't know that. The fact he was the captain of that side though says alot, how anyone can say Foden winning that cup gives him a chance in the City side but the captain of the side can't get in a United side finishing 6th....

That is not me saying he is better than Foden but I really believe Gomes should have had more minutes.

Silas

I'm not saying we should play that midfield three against City. It's just an example to see where he can play and how he should be used; higher up the pitch with a strong defensive midfielder behind him although not as a number 10.
Agreed. That position next to Pogba is where I hope to see him next season whenever he plays. That's where he came on against Cardiff isn't it?

Raven

Thats fair didn't know that. The fact he was the captain of that side though says alot, how anyone can say Foden winning that cup gives him a chance in the City side but the captain of the side can't get in a United side finishing 6th....

That is not me saying he is better than Foden but I really believe Gomes should have had more minutes.
Absolutely right, he's obviously got a good mindset if he's regularly being made captain in the teams he plays, he's also been good when ever he's gotten a cameo in the seniors. He should definitely be taking up a squad role next season.

In Rainbows

Agreed. That position next to Pogba is where I hope to see him next season whenever he plays. That's where he came on against Cardiff isn't it?
Yep. Gomes is great at keeping possession and I think he'll be better than Pereira in that role.

Bestietom

A very good skillful player that we need to keep here, but he needs to play. PSG are sniffing around I hear.

In Rainbows

Went back to watch him play and his size didn't particularly standout. He's the smallest guy, but it's still similar to Scholes in body type.

Watch this and explain to me how if Scholes were 2 inches shorter, it would somehow make it harder. Why can't Gomes be groomed for this role?

Mickson

Exactly. He would to better than Pereira in that position IMO. Sure, Pereira can score to the odd goal but keeping the ball, technical ability, and dribble past opponents is where Gomes has an edge.

Adamsk7

He’s better than Pereira now so should definitely be getting chances next season.
We’re probably gonna need to give him at least 8-10 appearances in the first half of the season for him to even consider a new contract tbf.
He probably looks at Sancho tearing up the Bundesliga and thinks he wouldn’t mind some of that - especially considering he’s Captained England at every Youth Level. We’ve got to tread VERY carefully or he’ll leave.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Went back to watch him play and his size didn't particularly standout. He's the smallest guy, but it's still similar to Scholes in body type.

Watch this and explain to me how if Scholes were 2 inches shorter, it would somehow make it harder. Why can't Gomes be groomed for this role?
If you're as good as Scholes/Xavi/Pirlo then it doesn't matter what size you are, nobody will get close to you.

Gomes has a way to go yet to reach that level, but we shouldn't worry about his size.

SirAF

Ageist
feck sake. His contract is up next summer - I thought he recently signed a new deal.

rotherham_red

The only reason I'm not particularly fussed about Pogba leaving was this guy potentially phasing him out. Would be a real kick in the teeth if he was to leave.

Raven

The only reason I'm not particularly fussed about Pogba leaving was this guy potentially phasing him out. Would be a real kick in the teeth if he was to leave.
I see what you mean. It would be disgusting to lose him alright. I still don't think we will though.

NWRed

It's being reported in the mirror that Angel is expected to leave this summer

"And there’s more bad news for United with talented 18 year-old midfielder Angel Gomes looking set to leave this summer along with Callum Gribbin, 20, in an on-going shake-up at Acadamy and reserve level following the departure of Under-23 boss Ricky Sbragia last week as exclusively reported by MirrorFootball."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-bring-radical-new-16199137

any truth in this?

Rajma

Feck, that would be so disappointing, Ole not giving him any minutes in later parts of the season was criminal too.

izec

Would be surprised if he left this summer. Hope he stays another year and gets plenty of chances, i would back him to take them if we improve in possession and as a team.

Red_toad

It's being reported in the mirror that Angel is expected to leave this summer

"And there’s more bad news for United with talented 18 year-old midfielder Angel Gomes looking set to leave this summer along with Callum Gribbin, 20, in an on-going shake-up at Acadamy and reserve level following the departure of Under-23 boss Ricky Sbragia last week as exclusively reported by MirrorFootball."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-bring-radical-new-16199137

any truth in this?
No as he’s not on the released list and no one has made a bid for our player who is under contract. Lads been leaving the last 3 summers and he’s still here. Wish people would stop falling for the click bait.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Don’t extend Mata’s contract & let this guy to replace the position. It similar with Pogba how he wasn’t ready for us at the age of 18 and the next season at age of 19 he played more than 25 games with Juventus.

He will be in his final contract next year, it’s no brainer for the club to give him decent amount of games for first team. And if the club decides not to give Mata a new contract (which they must not give mata a new deal), it’ll be a good sign from the club & the manager that we are being serious for rebuild & give the youth chances.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

Thing about Scholes was he was one of the best one touch passers ever, so it's almost impossible to get close to him. When you press him he pops it off perfectly without even needing to control it. Eventually teams won't press him as much and he can get turned.

Big believer in Gomes and he is outstanding technically but he will need to reach that sort of level on the ball to play like the guys you mentioned.

In Rainbows

Thing about Scholes was he was one of the best one touch passers ever, so it's almost impossible to get close to him. When you press him he pops it off perfectly without even needing to control it. Eventually teams won't press him as much and he can get turned.

Big believer in Gomes and he is outstanding technically but he will need to reach that sort of level on the ball to play like the guys you mentioned.
Exactly. Gomes will live and die by his technical ability, not size. I think Gomes has that same ability to 1 touch pass.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Exactly. Gomes will live and die by his technical ability, not size. I think Gomes has that same ability to 1 touch pass.
Unfortunately i don't think he'll ever be Scholes' level. Technically he's a very tidy player but i have my doubts that he can make the step up. I just don't see where he fits in for us either, especially with Pogba here. He needs that sort of free role in midfield but does he warrant it? I think Gerner and even Levitt look more likely to make it. Garner looks like he's already surpassed him in the pecking order.

All just my personal opinion but I'd be really happy to be proven wrong because i like his style and think he would be an interesting proposition if he could just move up another level or two. I just feel like he's stalled a bit over the last couple of years of his development.

In Rainbows

Unfortunately i don't think he'll ever be Scholes' level. Technically he's a very tidy player but i have my doubts that he can make the step up. I just don't see where he fits in for us either, especially with Pogba here. He needs that sort of free role in midfield but does he warrant it? I think Gerner and even Levitt look more likely to make it. Garner looks like he's already surpassed him in the pecking order.

All just my personal opinion but I'd be really happy to be proven wrong because i like his style and think he would be an interesting proposition if he could just move up another level or two. I just feel like he's stalled a bit over the last couple of years of his development.
I don't get why he wouldn't fit in with Pogba. If Scholes were around, would he not fit in with Pogba? The key is to have someone who can cover the pitch and provide the shield. Garner is a player like that. As is someone like Ndidi (who I want) with varying differences in their skillset obviously.

I don't think Levitt has looked more likely to make it. It's based on the u18s and Gomes bossed that league as a 16 year old.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Can we please move him along nicely and be over with this? This lad would be considered short at an U14s game.
Arguments made about all other insanely talented players are over-looking a couple important things. Gomes is still SIGNIFICANTLY shorter than any player mentioned. Gomes SIGNIFICANTLY has less talent than any player mentioned.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can we please move him along nicely and be over with this? This lad would be considered short at an U14s game.
Arguments made about all other insanely talented players are over-looking a couple important things. Gomes is still SIGNIFICANTLY shorter than any player mentioned. Gomes SIGNIFICANTLY has less talent than any player mentioned.
Move him along?

NWRed

No as he’s not on the released list and no one has made a bid for our player who is under contract. Lads been leaving the last 3 summers and he’s still here. Wish people would stop falling for the click bait.
Reading something and asking a question isn't falling for anthing, it's asking if anyone has more information. I've read that he's frustrated at lack of first team opportunities, is off contract in 12 months and is wanted by PSG (recently) and Barca (in the past) so not unreasonable to think he may be off either this summer or next, also not unreasonable to thing he may be using interest from other clubs to get an improved contract offer from us.

If you'd read the article you would have seen it was in the last paragraph of an article about the academy in general, not an article about Gomes, so how that can be defined as click bait I don't know.

SoCross

I’m beginning to get shades of Larnell Cole about this now...hope I’m proven wrong.

Classical Mechanic

I’m beginning to get shades of Larnell Cole about this now...hope I’m proven wrong.
Not sure about that. Cole was mentally weak in my opinion, a shy player that wouldn’t cut it at the top. Gomes looks super confident in his brief senior apps for us, demanding the ball, trying to score and trying to take a free kick off Pogba.

Status
Not open for further replies.