Angel Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal7

I'm hoping his substitution might be a sign that he will make the squad for the Basle game. Then again, that's probably wishful thinking.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm hoping his substitution might be a sign that he will make the squad for the Basle game. Then again, that's probably wishful thinking.
He hasn’t even featured for the U23s yet. On that point - bit strange. His stats and comments people make seem to suggest he’s a bit too good for the U18 level. Any idea when the jump up will be?

Prodigal7

He hasn’t even featured for the U23s yet. On that point - bit strange. His stats and comments people make seem to suggest he’s a bit too good for the U18 level. Any idea when the jump up will be?
He will more likely play with the U19s im sure. He's definitely better than U18 level, I can't personally see the point of him playing in that team especially considering there are many other promising attacking players in the 18s that would benefit from another space becoming available.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
My thinking is that he is too good now for his current age group, but unfortunately the group ahead of him (the Under 23's) are not that good, so him playing with them might not do him all that much good.
So him staying where he is; is probably better for his development, then stagnating at the year above.

Prodigal7

My thinking is that he is too good now for his current age group, but unfortunately the group ahead of him (the Under 23's) are not that good, so him playing with them might not do him all that much good.
So him staying where he is; is probably better for his development, then stagnating at the year above.
With Dearnley and Gribbin returning he has a decent crop to play with now. Wilson is now slouch either.

jb8521

Don't see any problem with him staying with the u18s as other players have done while we're still in the Youth Cup, obviously he's exceptionally talented but I don't see the u23s league as that big of a step up from u18s that it will benefit him massively. I always feel the u23s/21s step up is more important to players who are used to using their strength and power than it is for the smaller more technical players who are used to bigger players trying to bully them off the ball and just because other players of a similar age are playing u23s doesn't mean it's necessarily the right step for him. Out of the players who have made the step up to the seniors from the academy in the past few years like McNair, Januzaj, Wilson, Fosu-Mensah, Rashford, McTominay, Borthwick-Jackson and Lingard the only 1 who really played a significant number of games in the u23s before moving up to the seniors was Lingard and none of them had played much if at all when they were Gomes age even those who were considerably more physically developed than he is. Even Pogba who was a far more physically developed player didn't play regularly for the reserves until he was older than Angel is now. He has plenty of time on his side if he has the patience to go with it.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
That'd be one shit reason if it is it. The front 4 he played with last season and looked fantastic with are all in the u23s now in Bohui, Buffonge, and Boonen. How are they all of a sudden not good enough for him to play with?

khoazany

I never get the bashing about this season's U23s squad. There are plenty of decent/good players there, Williams, Warren, Riley, Mitchell, Wilson, Kehinde, Gribbin, Hamilton, Buffonge, Boonen, Dearnley, Whelan, Kenyon etc etc, plus the two semi-1st teamers McTominay and Tuanzebe. Gomes isn't at the level that "learn nothing playing alongside those players".

limerickcitykid

I never get the bashing about this season's U23s squad. There are plenty of decent/good players there, Williams, Warren, Riley, Mitchell, Wilson, Kehinde, Gribbin, Hamilton, Buffonge, Boonen, Dearnley, Whelan, Kenyon etc etc, plus the two semi-1st teamers McTominay and Tuanzebe. Gomes isn't at the level that "learn nothing playing alongside those players".
Exactly it makes no sense and is such a lazy excuse. The majority of those are the same players he was playing with in the u18s last season and were all looking fantastic together. A good bunch of them are also in the u19s side as well still.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Once we secure CL qualification I hope to see him in the final group game at some point.

Mickson

Warren (at centre back) is at best average. Dearnley, Kenyon and Whelan average. I agree that the squad isn't so bad, but it certainly isn't great. It's full of players that really doesen't belong anywhere, Charlie Scott brings to mind. Thomas Sang aswell. We can change the question, who in the squad is too good for that level? Wilson, sure. Mitchell. Maybe Williams if he can stay fit. Buffong, Boonen etc were good and sometimes great for the U18 but hasn't really showed that in the reserves yet. The jury is still out. Tuanzebe has only played two games so far in the reserves.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
When will he start playing with the U23s, that's my question. How can we expect him to integrate the first team without that?

Mickson

When will he start playing with the U23s, that's my question. How can we expect him to integrate the first team without that?
jb answered that earlier.

Don't see any problem with him staying with the u18s as other players have done while we're still in the Youth Cup, obviously he's exceptionally talented but I don't see the u23s league as that big of a step up from u18s that it will benefit him massively. I always feel the u23s/21s step up is more important to players who are used to using their strength and power than it is for the smaller more technical players who are used to bigger players trying to bully them off the ball and just because other players of a similar age are playing u23s doesn't mean it's necessarily the right step for him. Out of the players who have made the step up to the seniors from the academy in the past few years like McNair, Januzaj, Wilson, Fosu-Mensah, Rashford, McTominay, Borthwick-Jackson and Lingard the only 1 who really played a significant number of games in the u23s before moving up to the seniors was Lingard and none of them had played much if at all when they were Gomes age even those who were considerably more physically developed than he is. Even Pogba who was a far more physically developed player didn't play regularly for the reserves until he was older than Angel is now. He has plenty of time on his side if he has the patience to go with it.

limerickcitykid

Warren (at centre back) is at best average. Dearnley, Kenyon and Whelan average. I agree that the squad isn't so bad, but it certainly isn't great. It's full of players that really doesen't belong anywhere, Charlie Scott brings to mind. Thomas Sang aswell. We can change the question, who in the squad is too good for that level? Wilson, sure. Mitchell. Maybe Williams if he can stay fit. Buffong, Boonen etc were good and sometimes great for the U18 but hasn't really showed that in the reserves yet. The jury is still out. Tuanzebe has only played two games so far in the reserves.
Gomes isn't too good for the u23s so why does it matter how many are too good?

Sid234

Any idea on what's happening with him? As much as I think the media stories about him leaving is BS, there's usually no smoke without a fire.

SteveW

Jesus, what an overreaction.

Anyone know if he's fit for the FA youth cup game on Wednesday?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Some of you need to get a grip. I know emotions are high and all after yesterday, but please calm the feck down.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Disappointing but it might not even be him. What does concern me is that he apparently has not signed a new contract. It would be a shame to let him go. I wouldnt mind betting he has an agent whispering in his ear all the time. Any idea who his agent is? If he does go then at least we have Chong and Traore who look pretty useful

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyone that has used Insta knows it's easy to like a picture you never intended to.
Anyone can mistakenly tap a picture twice.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone that has used Insta knows it's easy to like a picture you never intended to.
Anyone can mistakenly tap a picture twice.
Never happened to me though and I use Insta for 3 years or so. Seems a bit of an odd excuse.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Young players and people in general lack so much common sense and respect. If he did actually like that post, what was he thinking?

predator

Youth NITK
According to what, and where?
I don't want to say too much on here because I don't want to put up something that I'm not sure myself is 100% true but I heard it came from a family member of his. We will see I guess. If you want me to say the alleged club then I will over a pm.

Number1

Disappointing but it might not even be him. What does concern me is that he apparently has not signed a new contract. It would be a shame to let him go. I wouldnt mind betting he has an agent whispering in his ear all the time. Any idea who his agent is? If he does go then at least we have Chong and Traore who look pretty useful
If i was his agent or parent (even as a United fan) i would also be having a word with him and advice him to conciser all options, as i said before on here, there's no loyalty in football, clubs look after themselves first and foremost, once they are done with you, you will be shipped out for the newer model and not a single feck will be given, so players should also look after themselves and with that Gomes should look after himself, just like Pogba did and look how that turned out, he developed into the one of the best young players in world football and then the most expensive footballer, so fantastic decision by him.

If i was in Gomes' position (18 next year), i would seriously consider how many opportunities I'm going to get at Manchester United, look at Jose as a manager, his reputation for bringing through youth, weighing everything up I'd probably do a Sancho/Pogba and leave to be honest.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
@predator if you want to save time just add me to a convo (change settings so anyone can invite) and I'll add the 5 billion people who are asking you for a PM. Members have a 5 person limit to add to convos whereas admins can add whoever.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Why does he want to leave though? And why are we letting him, isn’t he a huge talent?
Perceived lack of opportunities I suppose - though Sancho's move hasn't exactly gone great so far. As for 'letting' him, there's not much we can do if he wants to go. He's still with the U18s and isn't a part of the first team squad like Pogba was when he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.