Another striker who isn't good enough but is for some reason undroppable

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They need an experienced head along side them to lean on and compensate for them. A 0.5g/g striker who can be depended on for 10-15 goals leading the line and doing the dogs work up front.

Macca7

Rashford had to start yesterday due to a lack of options. Had we played Greenwood up top and finished with the same result, Ole would have got both barrels from the media and fans for not using our 'experienced' striker in Rashford.

The bigger issue is what to do with Rashford when Martial returns, James played well out on the left and he should remain there instead of him.
Bench him. Play Martial, James and Greenwood. Make him realise he isn't indispensable and has to earn the right to start by playing well and scoring goals. We need to start being more ruthless with players, If you don't perform, you're out until you do. Competition for places is the only way to keep people at the top of their game.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
To be fair, Rashford lost his place as centre forward, I suspect he's about to lose the LW to James, so if he's not at RW would you rather Mata, Lingard or Pereira? Because we won't start Greenwood.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
To be fair, Rashford lost his place as centre forward, I suspect he's about to lose the LW to James, so if he's not at RW would you rather Mata, Lingard or Pereira? Because we won't start Greenwood.
Why not? Ole's talked the talk all fecking Summer, now it's time to actually put trust in players like Mason Greenwood...

He should've fecking started yesterday - indeed, I think we'd have won the game had he played the 90.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's not any much better than Richarlison at the moment. He shouldn't be a starter striker for Manchester United. The old Manchester United anyway.

SaintMuppet

Rashford should be shoved out wide right. We need a player out there anyway. Martial is a better 9 and I think James has laid claim to the left side.

If he does not like it then tough. He can cry into that big juicy contract somebody stupidly gave him.

edcunited1878

Rashford is still a young player and has a lot to improve on such as his composure, awareness, consistency and mentality. He's 21 after all.

The lack of experienced players whom he can't question or would simply put him in his place has always been worrying.

After the first 4 matches, I see Rashford having to split playing time with Greenwood like Jose did with him and Martial before Sanchez came. As long as Martial is fit, he and James (on the left) are automatic starters. The wide forward position is between Rashford and Greenwood. Unless United go 442 with Rashford and Martial up front, James left midfield and maybe Chong right midfield.

edcunited1878

Rashford has one game in the #9 and people are ready to throw in the towel already. So glad the Caf doesn't manage this team...:lol::lol::lol:
It's not that he only just played the 9 yesterday but there were too many misplaced passes, loss of possession, no gambling in the box. Then you look at James, who has played himself into a wide starting postion with the left his best side. Martial is the CF and right side is open. Every player needs to be challenged by other players. I think it's time to challenge Rashford. It's only fair.

Sterling Archer

Christ. Another feckin thread. Who do we drop Rashford for? Greenwood? Play Pogba as a striker? Play no strikers like Spain?

Ole has made his bed. He said he wanted to replace fatkaku and dog whisperer, and whether you want to blame him or Woodward, we've not done so. That and Ole's come out and said Rashford and Martial need to feel the pressure. Early days but it's not pretty.

They need an experienced head along side them to lean on and compensate for them. A 0.5g/g striker who can be depended on for 10-15 goals leading the line and doing the dogs work up front.
If we don't spend on an experienced striker in January it will be hard to back the manager. Assuming he's still here. I'll eat my words if somehow Rashford Martial and Greenwood miraculously come good and have 20 goals between them by then. But seems more like a dream right now.

Andersonson

Rashford has one game in the #9 and people are ready to throw in the towel already. So glad the Caf doesn't manage this team...:lol::lol::lol:
Why? Rodwell would be our captain, Shaw would be the greatest left back ever, Kagawa would be the new Messi and Rooney would be hung

flappyjay

I hope Greenwood does well in Europa and forces himself in ahead of Marcus

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Christ. Another feckin thread. Who do we drop Rashford for? Greenwood? Play Pogba as a striker? Play no strikers like Spain?

Ole has made his bed. He said he wanted to replace fatkaku and dog whisperer, and whether you want to blame him or Woodward, we've not done so. That and Ole's come out and said Rashford and Martial need to feel the pressure. Early days but it's not pretty.

If we don't spend on an experienced striker in January it will be hard to back the manager. Assuming he's still here. I'll eat my words if somehow Rashford Martial and Greenwood miraculously come good and have 20 goals between them by then. But seems more like a dream right now.
Not sure I agree with blaming Solskjær for not replacing Lukaku and Sanchez.

By all accounts two poisonous personalities on hyperwages. I think there is more value in cleaning the atmosphere in the squad as there would be keeping them for their minor contributions.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
We had it with Rooney, his form declined under the likes of Moyes and LVG but they kept him in the team every week despite him being awful in has last couple of seasons here.

Mourinho came in and finally phased Rooney out of the team. Then along came Zlatan who to be fair was half decent for us but at times was clearly the wrong man to be up front for us considering his slower style of play. But again Mourinho seemed to be reluctant to drop him.

We now have Rashford, who seems to blow hot and cold, of late it's a lot more cold than hot. His decision making is awful and I hate to say it but he is the definition of a pace merchant at the moment. He's somehow become a senior member of the squad and a mainstay in the team and you can see it's gone to his head. It's great to be confident but the way he appears to act at times you'd think he was playing like Messi.

Who the hell is letting him take freekicks? Why does he have the authority to take them over and over again, they are truely woeful.

It concerns me that yet again we have a striker that for some reason has become a first name on team sheet/undroppable for the manager. Ole needs to man up and get Rashford out if the team in his current form continues.
I agree Rooney was way past and should have left in 2013. But strikers if they suit your style and you believe in them are players that you persist with because it’s all about confidence and persistence.

Moiraine

People were saying the same about Matic and Lingard before they got dropped. Ole doesn't seem afraid to drop people at all, and he already demoted Rashford to out wide remember, but in the forward line he doesn't have manny options.
He however is really scared to give real natural talent like Gomez give chances ahead of deadwoods like Lingard, Matic and Periera.

Adzilla

All this talk is irrelevant as we are aware, we have no options. Greenwood at 17 isn't ready to lead the line as it takes experience regardless to play that role baring Brazilian Ronaldo, even super talents like Mbappe doesn't lead the line yet as it's a difficult role which relies on patience and maturity and being selfless at times to bring others into the game.

We have Martial and Rashford is his backup (who is our first choice left winger) it's laughably poor but it's something we cant blame Ole for as we don't know if it was his decision to let Sanchez go or the boards.

Ole won't do a Mourinho and say his bit about poor work from the board and Woodward so unfortunately we wont know but I do think Ole has been naive in that he may have been told that irrelevant to results he wont be sacked but if were languishing in 10th by Christmas he will be sacked even if it's to increase the stock price. Business comes first

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Rashford has only played 1 game as striker this season - yes he had a stinker but its not that easy to instantly adapt from a wide role to proper 9.

He's not used to making the run to finish off those crosses through the 6 yard box - Ole is surely the best person to drum it into him though

Do agree he is wasteful on freekicks (Pogba too) - I can only assume they bang them in on the training ground

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I advocated Arnoutevic at the end of last season, but was shot down in flames over that. Could have been a stabilising figure in my eyes, a leader up front, who can move across the front line, hold the ball up well, and can get you possibly 15 goals a season. Would have given him a two year contract, with a promise of a free transfer at the end of it. Chicarito also springs to mind when talking about a natural goalscorer, I'm sure he would have been on the end of a couple of those crosses into the box yesterday. Rashford did not look good yesterday, but would like to see him more right side, with James (or Chong in the odd game) on the left. Martial or Greenwood as main striker. All four can move across all the front positions, Rashford and James main asset is their speed, so are more suited to starting in wider positions, whilst Martial and Greenwood have dribbling ability. I think in time, when they have played a full season together, the chemistry between them all will be so much better, so will need quick service from the rest of the team.

Last edited:

Handré1990

The whole premise of the op is wrong. Rashford is clearly not the 1st choice striker, Martial is. As a backup striker he’s more than alright, despite his poor game yesterday.

Alabaster Codify7

He will never, ever prove to be worth 200k a week and you can quote me on that. The majority of attributes you look for in a striker, 'Rashy' scores below par on - hold-up play, team-play, creativity, finishing, consistency, aerial threat. All non existent for this lad. He is a hit and run merchant with a penchant for being unplayable on his day. Unfortunately, his day doesn't come often enough.

Sterling Archer

Not sure I agree with blaming Solskjær for not replacing Lukaku and Sanchez.

By all accounts two poisonous personalities on hyperwages. I think there is more value in cleaning the atmosphere in the squad as there would be keeping them for their minor contributions.
I definitely put it on Woodward. Ole was very clear about early in the window that we'd get a replacement and given the approach for Mandzukic I think he did try. His comments of late also suggest a bit of frustration about not getting em. In the end the axe will fall on Ole before Ed.

Champagne Football

You simply can't judge Rashford when Martial is injured. He had a 21 year old player making his 4th ever Premier league appearance out left in support. And a central attacking player, who is Glasgow Celtic level, making his first ever appearance out right. How is that adequate support?

Rashford can't do it on his own. But when Martial and James are all fit and supporting, with hopefully Pogba advanced behind them then those are the days to judge Rashford.

Mr PG

We don't have the luxury of dropping him because our front line is inexplicably poor. He will come good though, he has a lot of talent.
He’s fast that’s it. Was never a prolific scorer even in the reserves. Not a natural finisher either and that’s not something you can teach.

Gordon S

We're building for the future. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are all young talents with a good chance of becoming really good in a near future. It's a gamble and we have to pay for it now but it might just pay off in seasons to come.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It's not that he only just played the 9 yesterday but there were too many misplaced passes, loss of possession, no gambling in the box. Then you look at James, who has played himself into a wide starting postion with the left his best side. Martial is the CF and right side is open. Every player needs to be challenged by other players. I think it's time to challenge Rashford. It's only fair.
And he has been challenged. It's why Martial is playing in the #9 and Rashford is wide. But Martial was injured yesterday so Rashford went into the middle. But because he didn't score a hat trick he is thrown under the bus. Meanwhile, ask the majority of our rivals who they fear on our team and he will be one of the first names that pop up. Some of our fans are the absolute worst when it comes to scapegoating our best players...

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Reminds me more of Welbeck as he struggles. His purple patch last season was the exception rather than the norm. Still young though and hope he proves me wrong.

Mingus

Before yesterday's match Rashford had exactly the same stats as Martial.
Played 3
Goals 2
Assists 1

Why would Ole have dropped him?
Also for those of you who say that we should have kept Lukaku - he went for 2.5 months (7 matches) without scoring a PL goal under Jose and then a further 6 matches and then a further 6 matches without a PL goal under Ole. All this and 1 PL assist all season.

Falcow

In a healthy squad, Rashford would be just coming back from a loan spell in the championship which would have been invaluable for him(his ego might not be what it is now if he spent some time in the championship for one thing) and he would now be trying to force his way into the team. As it stands however we do not have healthy competition or experience in the striking department and that is all on Ole as far as I am concerned, I dont believe for a second that Woodward would have refused to bring in Haller for example if he was asked. Lonzano is another who could be have been signed for the problem right position, so frustrating to watch him play well for Napoli last night.

Mr.Plow

Before yesterday's match Rashford had exactly the same stats as Martial.
Played 3
Goals 2
Assists 1

Why would Ole have dropped him?
Also for those of you who say that we should have kept Lukaku - he went for 2.5 months (7 matches) without scoring a PL goal under Jose and then a further 6 matches and then a further 6 matches without a PL goal under Ole. All this and 1 PL assist all season.
And yet he still scored more than Rashy and Martial.