Another striker who isn't good enough but is for some reason undroppable

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Truth is... if you lose every decision is a wrong decision. If you win you'd be hailed as genius.

Occupational hazards.

Fans things they knew better and only come out to say told you so, why not a b c, but the truth is a manager is only as good as his result.

Kostur

海尔的老板
If we had a half decent squad Rashford doesn’t get in the 11......
If we had half decent squad about half of our current starting XI doesn't get into the new starting XI.

Rashford has been utter shit against SOTON, even he himself is saying that he doesn't perceive himself as a #9 but you guys are deluding yourself if you think that playing Greenwood there will magically make him a better striker than Rashford. We shouldn't have to rely on either up front, nor on Martial, we should've brought in a proven goalscorer of some sorts.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Rashford isn't good enough to lead the line for us right now, who knows in a more stable team we could improve him but his football IQ seems really low. Ideally at this moment in time you would want someone like him as a squad player to develop, he's clearly not ready for the full time job yet, not sure if he ever will be either.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rashford has played one game as a striker this season and that was when Martial...The only other striker in our squad, was injured.

It's literally impossible for Rashford to have been picked as a striker less this season than he has been.

I'm curious to know who should have played instead of him at Southampton. Romero?

He definitely had a rubbish game but the the problem is we sold Lukaku without a replacement and then let Sanchez leave. So people are just going to have to get used to it. Him and Martial have to start every game they are fit for and that we care about winning.

Handré1990

Seriously why the feck do the mods allow any old bollocks to be a thread?
Yup, it’s getting out of hand. Before today’s round there were three threads om Rashford and four on Ole at the front page, all of them revolving around how shit they are.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rashford isn't good enough to lead the line for us right now, who knows in a more stable team we could improve him but his football IQ seems really low. Ideally at this moment in time you would want someone like him as a squad player to develop, he's clearly not ready for the full time job yet, not sure if he ever will be either.
Again we've done this to death, but;

He has more goals than the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney at his age, and a better goalscoring record if my memory serves me right.

He's as close as you can get with a player his age to being a safe bet. The problem is that a) our squad situation places too much pressure on him and Martial, regardless of their ages, and b) people on here have the patience of a starving lion and the memory of a goldfish.

He could get 20+ goals this season and people on here will still whine about him not being good enough. Lukaku got 28 in his first season and people still whined about him not being good enough.

This forum has a pretty bonkers view of what's required of a striker. 4 goals in 4 games for the two main forwards isva good enough start. They will have off days as Rashford had, and runs of poorer form, like all players do. The issue is that not enough goals will come from elsewhere.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

He has more goals than the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney at his age, and a better goalscoring record if my memory serves me right.

He's as close as you can get with a player his age to being a safe bet. The problem is that a) our squad situation places too much pressure on him and Martial, regardless of their ages, and b) people on here have the patience of a starving lion and the memory of a goldfish.

He could get 20+ goals this season and people on here will still whine about him not being good enough. Lukaku got 28 in his first season and people still whined about him not being good enough.

This forum has a pretty bonkers view of what's required of a striker. 4 goals in 4 games for the two main forwards isva good enough start. They will have off days as Rashford had, and runs of poorer form, like all players do. The issue is that not enough goals will come from elsewhere.
Ronaldo was a late bloomer, as for Rooney i think you're wrong, from what i can see Rooney scored more. But goals don't tell the whole story there's night and day between a 21 year old Rooney and Rashford, stats don't tell the whole story.

Also i think your point just reinforces what i was trying to say, in a functioning team you can have young players to develop and rotate but to throw them in the deep end like we have is asking a lot, and from what i can see (unlike Rooney) Rahsford doesn't look to be upto it. Happy to be proven wrong, but like i said he doesn't seem to have the football IQ of a top player, but it doesn't help being in such a dysfunctional team.

And about off days - Rashford has had one good game out of 4 this season.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Hes just another Theo walcott.

He is fast, he will score the occasional wonder goal but all in all he will be trash 80% of matches he plays.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ibra was great.

If our attacking players played to his level that season, we might have challenged for the league.

Our strikers have been a big problem post SAF. Not enough goals by us every single season. We've not scored 70 league goals since SAF retired.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Why would he have been dropped for that Southampton game? We have no one else for feck sake. Even when Martial’s back who do you propose we play in Rashford’s place?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
If he keeps playing like this, then he will be dropped to the bench next year. That's for sure.

The thing is that we should have an academy graduate in our starting xi, so
without Pogba, Mctominay, Rashford and Lingard how could that work?
Maybe Greenwood proves he is Messi esque but I highly doubt that.
What? I’d love to know what the mod actually edited in this because it still doesn’t make any fecking sense

Castia

Ole’s dropped or sold all the players the fans wanted out

Smalling
Jones
Young (back now due to injuries)
Matic
Sanchez
Lukaku
And last game Lingard.

We have no options in attack. Greenwood isn’t ready and Martial is injured. Can’t just drop players for the sake of dropping them. Drop Rashford and start Chong Greenwood and James...we’d get battered.

Last edited:

POF

The ironic thing about this thread is that there was lots of criticism of Jose for not dropping Ibra and Lukaku because Rashford was "wasted out wide" and should play as a striker. This season Rashford has come out and said he's not a number 9 and before the Southampton game had played every game this season from the left.

Why won't Ole drop Rashford as a striker when he's the only fit senior player at the club who can play there? It's a head scratcher for sure.

Jackal

The problem is who else would come in to replace Rashford? As most people are pointing out there is nobody else in the squad. Martial is already injured after three games and also not up to scoring regularly. This only puts pressure on Rashford and he obviously is not handling it very well.

The big mistake was not getting a striker in before letting Lukaku go and it need not have been a world class player.
An experienced, possibly older, player could have filled in for the time being. Finally getting rid of Lukaku in the final days of the window was a huge mistake without having a viable alternative. Sure there will be plenty on here asking me who we should have got and to be honest I don't know but I do know none of our forwards will score as many as Lukaku did, bad as he was.
It wasn't a mistake.......It's a deliberate ploy by the money-grabbing Glazers & their shrewd CEO(Ed). Lukaku's fee technically bought Maguire.

Red_toad

It concerns me that yet again we have a striker that for some reason has become a first name on team sheet/undroppable for the manager. Ole needs to man up and get Rashford out if the team in his current form continues.
So drop the player who's scored 28% of our goals this season in favour of a 17 year old? Is that you point? :lol:

Red_toad

I hope Greenwood does well in Europa and forces himself in ahead of Marcus
What do people like you do when Greenwoods form drops? Turn on him over night in favour of the latest shiny toy? I wonder what happened to wanting players to do well and supporting them?

passing-wind

Rashford is the worst first team striker I've seen at this club. He's not the worst striker but the likes of Macheda etc were not first team players.

Mainoldo

The boy will still come good. Once he has a proper coach who can actually improve young players. Yet again the boy is being mismanaged.

Mainoldo

The boy will still come good. Once he has a proper coach who can actually improve young players. Yet again the boy is being mismanaged.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Still maintain he's not a bad player, but he's a thoroughly average striker. He also can't header a ball to save his life.

I also don't mind him having a crack every now and again from 30 yards. It's more enjoyable than watching us play it around the box and then fail to get in a decent cross.

Castia

Played under 3 managers already and doesn’t look like he could score more than a handful of goals per season.

He isn’t going to suddenly bang in 30 goals if a new manager is appointed.

Jose dropped him because he was shite and there was a huge backlash from fans and media...12 months later fans want him dropped.

Foxbatt

The question is not if he is undroppable or not? It is more what is the manager and the coaching staff doing to correct his mistakes? Surely no one should be able to get away with what he is doing week after week on the pitch? Shooting from all over the pitch, not passing to a team mate unless he has no choice, trying to dribble past everyone and losing the ball, making miss passing week after week. All these should be corrected by the manager and the coaching staff. I have seen SAF having a real go with a lot of swearing at Jonny Evans and he is not scared to voice his feelings in public too. So why is Ole letting Rashford get away with all these stuff?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
IMO, James should start at left, Martial and Rashford should rotate on the CF role, Greenwood should play more on right (ideally should move to center, but our right side is too weak)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ole’s dropped or sold all the players the fans wanted out

Smalling
Jones
Young (back now due to injuries)
Matic
Sanchez
Lukaku
And last game Lingard.

We have no options in attack. Greenwood isn’t ready and Martial is injured. Can’t just drop players for the sake of dropping them. Drop Rashford and start Chong Greenwood and James...we’d get battered.
Thing is on poor form Rashford has offered close to nothing

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Ronaldo was a winger in traditional 442 in his earlier years, where his main role in the team is to run, dribble and assist, in which he did a great job.

Rashford, on the other hand, was a forward in 433. His main job is to run, dribble and to score goals. By all account he did a decent job so far, but not a good one.

PieCrust

I don't think either Rashford nor Martial are good enough or consistent enoughto be the main ST for United. But there are no other options now, which is the true crime in all this, our continuous floundering in the transfer market.

Hopefully they both end up proving me wrong, but goals are going to be a big problem this season.

Mainoldo

Played under 3 managers already and doesn’t look like he could score more than a handful of goals per season.

He isn’t going to suddenly bang in 30 goals if a new manager is appointed.

Jose dropped him because he was shite and there was a huge backlash from fans and media...12 months later fans want him dropped.
Rubbish. He would have progressed under LVG and who the hell has Mourinho developed in his football life?

Slysi17

Who said they need to be experienced. Rashford has been garbage for months. Give Greenwood a chance or even have Martial and James up top in a different system.
I would give Chong a chance to be honest. Have Daniel James on the left, Martial at striker and Chong on the right. Then you have everyone playing their best position and it's a lot more balanced instead of playing Greenwood out of position. People need to get it in their heads that Greenwood is not an effective winger and shouldn't play there.

Garebo

Why not? Ole's talked the talk all fecking Summer, now it's time to actually put trust in players like Mason Greenwood...

He should've fecking started yesterday - indeed, I think we'd have won the game had he played the 90.
Because Greenwood is not a RW, he is a striker. If he proves to be better than Martial, then he will take his place eventually. The thing is, that Ole said he will give more opportunities to the youngsters, but until now he hasn't kept his word. Instead of giving a chance to Greenwood or Chong, he chose Pereira. Shame.