Another 'would you rather' scenario(Haaland vs 3 new players)

Crustanoid

Feck everyone else and get Haaland. We can always buy 6-7 players in the January window

Bwuk

Haaland.

He’s going to be one of the best players of his generation.

We spent 40m on VdB who can’t even get a game. I’d rather just pay the premium and get a superstar.

UpWithRivers

If we are talking crazy then Id take Sancho for 80, Saul Niguez for 50 and Ramos for free. Otherwise get Haaland. More to stop him going to Man City more than anything.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
I would take Haaland tonight.
We need world class players asap not if’s or maybe’s.

croadyman

If we are talking crazy then Id take Sancho for 80, Saul Niguez for 50 and Ramos for free. Otherwise get Haaland. More to stop him going to Man City more than anything.
Those three I could massively get on board with but know it will never happen

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Unless it's a complete steal on the 3 players, I don't see how you don't go with Haaland. Players like that don't come often, and if he's available everything should be done to get him. You can always reinforce the team over time but securing the finishing is a huge part of the job.

Red Stone

Initially I'd say option 2, but if City are in for Haaland we need to do everything we can to get in ahead of them. A reliable top class forward is the missing piece of the puzzle for them, and if they get the best one around at the moment it's hard to see us closing the gap to them in the near future.

In other words, ranked from best to worst:
1) We spend the budget buying multiple players for problem areas and Haaland stays at Dortmund or goes to Spain/Paris.
2) We get Haaland.
3) We get multiple players for problem areas, but City buy Haaland.

Although that ranking depends on the multiple players being good buys that strengthen the first team. I don't know if those players are even available within our budget, and I'm not really sure I trust the club to be able to find the right players in the first place, in which case options 1 and 2 can be switched around. Haaland is a known entity and a much safer choice.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Depends on the other 2-3 players doesn't it.

No idea what the budget will be this summer but whatever it is, if we could sign a top right winger, a solid defensive midfielder and a pacy centreback then i'd go for option 2.
Yeah this exactly. There’s no point in choosing two without knowing the players we are getting, but assuming they are quality then 2 has to be the choice. We’ve lost or underperformed the most this year from the lack of solidity in the spine of our team, conceding a bunch of stupid goals and constantly rotating DM’s as they go in an out of form.

SirMarcusRashford

That striker to finish chances off is what Manchester United have been missing in some games this season, if we had a Harry Kane/Haaland i honestly think we'd be a lot closer to City right now.

RW as much as people want Sancho, the club made 2 investments there last summer, so can't see Sancho being a target anymore. AMF, as much as i'd like Grealish, Lingard (way he's looked at West Ham) could be a great option for United next season.

Yeah we could maybe do with another CB, but it isn't really priority. the club have some decent on options along with Mengi, Tuanzebe waiting for their chance.

CM - Scott McT looks great this season, Hannibal Mejbri now promoted to the first team squad, this area isn't really a priorty either (unless Pogba leaves).

If United was to only sign 1 player in the summer i'd go all out for Haaland, he long with (hopefully) players already in the squad getting better (ie Rashford getting better/Diallo getting more experience/Lingard better/Scott McT etc), he'd take us to the next level.

SwedishFish

All on Haaland and get the remaining pieces the following summer. He's a generational talent and if there's a possibility United have to go for it.

Andersons Dietician

Not sure why anyone would pay 130 mil for Haaland when he’s available for 60mil summer 2022. Can’t see Dortmund selling him early either. They have plenty they can move on for reasonable fees before they need to sell him.

Anyway, depends on the 3 players. If we could get quality like Sancho, Saul or Grealish or Sancho, Konaté, Saul then no brainer. But no point in buying 3 players for 130mil if they aren’t going to improve the squad.

markhughes

Halaand because it would be great for us to send out a statement of intent, how often do we truly buy a top 5 talent though over the years? I can’t see us getting him unfortunately.

Trequarista10

Haaland.

We spend too much on average players. Would rather one elite signing and promote a couple from the academy than sign 3 average players.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Answer 2. Spend it on 2 or 3 other players

1) Buy Sancho 110M€
2) Buy Koulibaly 60M€
3) Get an Ighalo type of loan for a striker

3) Sell Lingard 15M€
4) Sell Pogba 60M€

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Heart says

...............................De Gea...........................
AWB.......Lindeloff..............Maguire......Shaw
.............................Mctominy............................
...............Bruno.....................Pogba.................
Greenwood..........Haaland..................Rashford

Head says

...............................De Gea...............................
AWB..........Kounde............Maguire........Shaw
..............................Zakaria...............................
..................Bruno...............Pogba....................
Greenwood..........Rashford..................Graelish

knowing woody after a summer of being linked with a tripple swoop for Mbappe, Haaland and Sancho we end up with:

.............................De Gea.................................
AWB..........Lindeloff..........Maguire........Shaw
..................Mctominy.........Fred......................
Greenwood...............Bruno................Rashford
.............................Diego Costa..........................

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
How about Grealish, Sancho and Rice, That would break your 130M budget, so you would have to sell maybe DDG (35M?) Lingard (25M) Dalot (5M) (Pereira 5M) and lose Cavani, Mata and Jones from the wage bill to make it up.

Grealish 80
Sancho 80
Rice 60

Henderson
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw

Bruno Rice Pogba

Sancho Rashford Grealish
With a subs bench of Grant, Telles, Williams, VdB, McT, Fred, Martial Greenwood, Amad

Surely that team could City a run for their money.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Haaland. I think if we do a successful gamble on a DM for cheap we could challenge. My preference would be Bazoer. If it doesn't pan out we have Garner/Hannibal a year later.

Getting just 3 players that could range anywhere from VDB to Bruno is risky.

I'd sell:
-Martial
-Keeper
-Lingard
-James
-Dalot
-Pereira
-Williams
-Matic
-Mata

For 80M+ to make it happen.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
We'll still be overly reliant on Fred, McT, and Matic if we blow it all on Haaland.

I'd rather the club went all out on a DM (Wlifried Ndidi).

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
What if we do an Amad and Facundo deal on the cfwds, who will be the boys to get?. Instead of the big names, we go out and get 2 discreet lads who can develop with us and bang in the goals as the typical cfwd's that we need

Pughnichi

Get Haaland in

I’m hopeful we bring James Garner back who’s done remarkably well at NF

Add to that Laird as squad option who similarly has helped transform MK into play off challenge

Add to that Amad and Pellestri, the later has put in some good displays despite being in a woeful team.

Squad would look a lot healthier

especially if we can keep Pogba and clear Lingard, Jones, Mata, Dalot and arguably Matic

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Always love these threads talking of wild purchases over 100m for one player.
They usually go hand in hand with selling players worth 40-50m in a summer, which won't happen either.

We'll do well to get £15m for Lingard, and any other funds depends on getting probably only half of what we bought Pogba in for.

When was the last season we had a net spend over 80m utter max? Most likely we work off 40-50m again.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There’s no debate here. Haaland will score 500+ goals in the next 10 years.

Walters_19_MuFc

Dortmund have a pretty good team and they are sitting in 5th place with Haaland in the team.

Are we that much better than Dortmund that Haaland will come in and transform us? No is my answer and I'd always want priority to be with balancing the team than buying an individual.

Say if we were to get Kounde, Sancho and Rice, it would mean all three walking into our starting XI and making a difference in the positions of priority.

Cavani
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Rice Pogba
Shaw Maguire Kounde Wan-Bissaka
De Gea​

The season after next when Cavani goes (if he does extend his xontact) then we can worry about a striker but by then, Greenwood may be ready to step up.

beingshe7don

Grealish -- Rashford -- Sancho
------------------ Bruno -------------------
------------ Fred ----- MCT ------------
Shaw - Maguire - Kounde - AWB
-------------- Henderson --------------

Sell:
DDG to PSG (30m)
Pogba to Juve (50m)
Martial + 40m for Sancho

Grealish: 60m
Sancho: 40m + Martial
Kounde: 45m

Net: 65m

Nicolarra90

I want to win the league.

If city gets haaland forget about the league.

Go and get haaland.

Kostov

This would be a very easy choice if we could actually have a chance of getting Haaland. I'd rather we buy an absolute sure thing than go and splash on 3 other players that we are most likely to misjudge.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
RW, midfielder so I don't see Matic playing anymore & CB.

Martial/Mason
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Kessie Fred/McT
Shaw Maguire Kounde AWB
De Gea/Dean
Pogba to Juventus (50m)
Lingard to WHU (15m)
Bailly (15m)
Kessie - 30m
Sancho - 70m
Kounde - 60m-65m

Hughes35

I'd take Haaland as I think he is guaranteed to be a success.

I know it's real life and not Fifa but I honestly don't get why we can't have a summer like this:

Out:

Dalot - 15M
Romero - 2Mil
Grant - Free
Jones - 2.5 Million
Williams (Loan)
Lingard - 15 Million
Pereira - 10 Million
Mata - 5 million
Matic - 7.5 million
DVB - 25 million
Cavani - Free
Martial - 35 million
Total - Approx 100 Million

In:

Haaland (Or a second choice if we miss him) - 100 Million
Grealish - 80 million
Rice - 50 million

Total - 230Million
Net - approx 130 million

I know it won't happen but I really don't see why it would be so difficult, and honestly would't cost the world. 130 million nett spend and I think the wages would be fairly neutral (we may even profit).

Squad would be so much better for it.

KD6-3.7

I’d take three top players at RW, CB and CDM over just Haaland every day of the week.

I agree his a special player but him wouldn’t be enough so I’d rather us balance the team out properly by getting in players for positions we are just if not more desperate to fill.

Redcy

People suggesting we can get Rice, Sancho and Kounde for 130m are dreaming lets be honest, no way we get all of them, and we will be lucky to get two at that price. When was the last time we got anywhere near that?

People suggesting Greenwood will step up to be a star striker can't be watching the same player, I love him, he is young and can develop into another rashford style player, but its clear from watching him he has no instinct to be a top class, 25+ goals per years striker.

croadyman

Grealish -- Rashford -- Sancho
------------------ Bruno -------------------
------------ Fred ----- MCT ------------
Shaw - Maguire - Kounde - AWB
-------------- Henderson --------------

Sell:
DDG to PSG (30m)
Pogba to Juve (50m)
Martial + 40m for Sancho

Grealish: 60m
Sancho: 40m + Martial