Gaming Anthem (video game) | Update cancelled.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Couldn't find a thread for this. Anyone playing already?

I'm getting my copy on PS4 on Friday. Reviews haven't been great, but I love looter shooter games and I'm pretty forgiving when they first launch.

Destiny and Division both ended up excellent after bad launches so I'm hoping the same will be true for anthem.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Full priced EA game with microtransactions, Xbox all over the marketing, EA, boring world design, no PvP, EA, rushed launch, Apex, EA...

There's bad launches and there's this. Might still be good, but considering the wealth of decent shooters right now, I think I'll personally wait.

GaryLifo

Full priced EA game with microtransactions, Xbox all over the marketing, EA, boring world design, no PvP, EA, rushed launch, Apex, EA...

There's bad launches and there's this. Might still be good, but considering the wealth of decent shooters right now, I think I'll personally wait.
Completely understandable. I only kept my pre order because I got it for £32 in some flash sale that I chanced upon at shop.to

dove

Watched a few Twitch streams and it looked really boring with 0 content so I’m skipping it. Will wait for Anthem 2 :)

GaryLifo

That's fair, and any game that is good is worthwhile.

It just seems odd that it's mostly the xbox crowd trying to defend it all over the place. I think they have cracked(own)

;):lol:
I'm expecting a rough ride in the first few months of anthem and possibly even another battleborn style rapid death of the game. I'll still get my money's worth though at that price even if I just do the story and some end game grinding for masterworks and legendaries.

GaryLifo

Friend offered me a free copy but I turned it down. Division 2 is going to consume me and I can't wait.
I really enjoyed the division 2 demo, minus the endgame enemy drone and grenade launcher spamming.

I'll probably get it in a couple of months.

Runner

I really enjoyed the division 2 demo, minus the endgame enemy drone and grenade launcher spamming.

I'll probably get it in a couple of months.
I enjoyed what I played but didn't get to the endgame because I had to leave town. I heard Massive already toned it down. I'm sure it'll only be better in a few months. Enjoy Anthem until you switch over.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
The game is fantastic out of the gate, phenomenal scale and graphics and the gameplay is really fun. I've read however, a lot of concerning reviews about the end game which arrives super quickly, and that there's literally nothing to do which makes me glad I didn't buy the game (I get access to it via origin Premier). Other games might take the nolifers a month to get to the end game to find no content which isn't unusual, but I'm reading it can take 12 hours to finish etc.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The game is fantastic out of the gate, phenomenal scale and graphics and the gameplay is really fun. I've read however, a lot of concerning reviews about the end game which arrives super quickly, and that there's literally nothing to do which makes me glad I didn't buy the game (I get access to it via origin Premier). Other games might take the nolifers a month to get to the end game to find no content which isn't unusual, but I'm reading it can take 12 hours to finish etc.
Never played Anthem but if by '12 hours to finish' you mean the campaign, then Destiny campaign was quick to finish, with the weekly stuff and raid gear to keep people occupied after that. Guessing it'd be similar for Anthem.

Revan

Assumptionman
Quite surprised to hear that there isn't much endgame content. The reason why Swtor (which I think had an excellent design and campaign) failed was for the same reason, so surprised that they didn't learn.

If this game fails, there is a high chance that Bioware will be closed. A bit makes me sad, but then you realize that current Bioware has not much to do with Bioware who made some of the games I love most.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Not my kind of game. I've been making an active effort not to buy EA games. They've even managed to make me stop buying Battlefield games.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Looks pretty good from the videos I've watched
Yeah it does look good but it seems to suffer from a whole myriad of problems.

Oh dear. This seems like the gaming equivalent of when Warner Bros saw what Marvel were doing with the Avengers and said "we need to do that and as quickly as possible to make all the money", and made a right feck up of it.

Just swap Warner Bros with EA and Marvel & the Avengers with Activision and Destiny.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Never played Anthem but if by '12 hours to finish' you mean the campaign, then Destiny campaign was quick to finish, with the weekly stuff and raid gear to keep people occupied after that. Guessing it'd be similar for Anthem.
Problem is with Anthem, it has 0 end game content.

No raids, no strikes, no exotics to chase, no PvP, no secrets to find, no diversity in enemies, no exploration.

I had the legion of Dawn edition on pre order and cancelled it just after christmas and I am glad I did as its a complete disaster of a game,

Adam-Utd

The PVE enemies look crap also. They just stand there will you shoot them, no intelligence.

It's a shame as I like the concept but it's been done in such a poor way.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Problem is with Anthem, it has 0 end game content.

No raids, no strikes, no exotics to chase, no PvP, no secrets to find, no diversity in enemies, no exploration.

I had the legion of Dawn edition on pre order and cancelled it just after christmas and I am glad I did as its a complete disaster of a game,
Seriously? :lol: What a joke.

PlayerOne

Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the end of Bioware. andromeda was a disaster and they had a lot riding on this, but this looks like another flop.

Ducklegs

Seriously? :lol: What a joke.
Yep.

Laymen gaming did a great review, its basically the campaign, then 6 or 7 hours hitting the level cap doing the same 3 strong holds and contracts, then......... thats it, theres nothing to do.

Revan

Assumptionman
Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the end of Bioware. andromeda was a disaster and they had a lot riding on this, but this looks like another flop.
Yep, I think that Bioware are done and will be closed after this. Inquisition kind of returned them in the scene (after the failures of Swtor and ME3), but with Andromeda and this bombing, it is hard to seem then surviving. There were so many rumours that if this fails, the studio will be closed, and can see EA doing it.

What I don't understand, is how they didn't learn nothing from Swtor. Not only trying to make a game no one wanted, but also the total lack of endgame content which was the main reason swtor failed in the first place (whom otherwise was a very good game).

Shame cause it is the company who made me love video games again, but like Square, it has lost its way for quite a long time now, and I suspect will be soon put out of its misery.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yep, I think that Bioware are done and will be closed after this. Inquisition kind of returned them in the scene (after the failures of Swtor and ME3), but with Andromeda and this bombing, it is hard to seem then surviving. There were so many rumours that if this fails, the studio will be closed, and can see EA doing it.

What I don't understand, is how they didn't learn nothing from Swtor. Not only trying to make a game no one wanted, but also the total lack of endgame content which was the main reason swtor failed in the first place (whom otherwise was a very good game).

Shame cause it is the company who made me love video games again, but like Square, it has lost its way for quite a long time now, and I suspect will be soon put out of its misery.
What is the endgame? In these types of games? Get to the end and rinse and repeat for better gear?

Art Vandelay

At least it will stop them shitting the bed. They've been a PR disaster for years now and their output has gotten steadily worse. They might do a Black Isle/Obsidian and some of them might reform in a few years and return to their roots under a different studio. There's still a market there for old style Bioware games.

You could see this coming a mile away too. They've been all over the place with the message of what this game actually is since the first trailer hit. Like they wanted to just tease their still rabbid romance obsessed fanbase along. Some of the design decisions are just strange, almost like they didn't intend to make a looter shooter until very late on. They've apparently been making it for 6 years, but they don't seem to have learned anything from either their own mistakes or the other games in the genre in that time.

Tali taking her suit off to appease perverts was the beginning of the end.

Then again my friends list on Xbox seems to be filled with people playing Anthem and I've a couple of mates that are trying really hard to convince themselves/each other that it's great. So maybe it's still selling well.

Reddy Rederson

Played the demo, wasnt awful and I thought this could be fine and kept my pre order. Little did I know that that was all there was to the game. Go here, shoot that, go there, shoot this. Which you can kinda say about a lot of games, but this is one is just so bland. The javlins are fun at first, but theres no real progression with them, just numbers go up. The story and characters are all shit. Theres no way to pretty it up, its all nonsense. Then you get to the end and you get a feckton of foreshadowing about a new enemy on the horizon for when you will no doubt get hit with a lot of dlc nonsense. I have EA premier and so got to play the game from the vault, and I very quickly cancelled my xbox pre order. Its just so meh.

I also found myself saying "that looks a lot like..." far too much. The evil dude has more than a passing resemblance to shredder of ninja turtle fame. The little loading icon looks like it was lifted and modified from the division. A type of enemy is called a "scar destroyer". The obvious iron man look of the starter javlin. Just so many little things.

@One Night Only Yes, the end game is just redo everything you already did but set up a little different in some cases. Theres a check list of things to redo to get some title of legend or something. Not a great reason to play the same boring missions over and over again and against more and more annoying bullet sponges. Think destiny, but worse. And I thought destiny got a lot of things wrong, anthem makes destiny look like a masterpiece.

Bring on the division 2, anthem can suck it. Wont ever be going back to that pos.

Marcelinho87

This is the new problem we can expect from games I guess... Artificially lengthening a games play time by releasing a shell and drip feeding content.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
They will never be the same, just like all the great studios in the past.

You simply cannot have most of the critical personnel being different and expect the same results, it's not about the people for the likes of EA and MS, it's about the name and the money. Which is why these game passes and what comes in the next gen should really fail, but it won't simply because there's too many people who are suckered time and time again yet lament situations like this.

But meh, I'm done caring now. I still like Apex and Sea of Thieves, so I guess I'm one of the crowd anyway.

Castia

Enjoyed the demo/beta and was all set for picking it up but it's been completely destroyed by almost every gaming outlet possible so I haven't bothered.

Even the launch map they released doesn't look great, there's no real content until May and with Division 2 releasing next month it's going to be too late.

Bobski

Yes. RIP Bioware. Created some of the finest single player narrative/character driven games ever. Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, Dragonage Origins , Mass Effect, why would you move towards making generic pap like Anthem and rush out mediocre Inquisition and Andromeda? EA are shit for developers, always chasing that cash grab trend, but Bioware have been going down hill for years.

Have to hope for some of the smaller studios to take the torch for great single players games, instead of recycled multiplayer clones infested with loot boxes.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The funny thing is EA helped feck themselves releasing a battle royale game with the known fundamentals of a proven shooter weeks before Biower’s last chance. That last chance hinging upon...an MP shooter.

RIP Commander Shepherd.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yes. RIP Bioware. Created some of the finest single player narrative/character driven games ever. Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, Dragonage Origins , Mass Effect, why would you move towards making generic pap like Anthem and rush out mediocre Inquisition and Andromeda? EA are shit for developers, always chasing that cash grab trend, but Bioware have been going down hill for years.

Have to hope for some of the smaller studios to take the torch for great single players games, instead of recycled multiplayer clones infested with loot boxes.
It is kind of amazing when you thing it that way. They were probably the most creative RPG studio in the world, then EA bought them, sacked or made them leave everyone important and made them build shooters and massive multilayers.

I mean, how does that even make sense. With 700m or whatever it cost just to buy them, surely it would have been easier to just build a company which makes shooters from the scratch (like MS did when Bungie departed).

CD Project Red is the spiritual successor to BioWare. They make the same type of games (though more modern or mature) and they do it in the right way. For Bioware the only hope is to happen some Black Isle/Obsidian scenario, but with docs gone from gaming, I think that chances are low for it to happen.

Marcelinho87

The funny thing is EA helped feck themselves releasing a battle royale game with the known fundamentals of a proven shooter weeks before Biower’s last chance. That last chance hinging upon...an MP shooter.

RIP Commander Shepherd.
EA don't lose here only Bioware.

EA probably knew Anthem was going to tank and thus approved the very quick release of Apex.

Andersons Dietician

What I gather is that I should buy Metro instead? I downloaded a demo for this the other night butdoesnt sound that promising.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
It is kind of amazing when you thing it that way. They were probably the most creative RPG studio in the world, then EA bought them, sacked or made them leave everyone important and made them build shooters and massive multilayers.

I mean, how does that even make sense. With 700m or whatever it cost just to buy them, surely it would have been easier to just build a company which makes shooters from the scratch (like MS did when Bungie departed).

CD Project Red is the spiritual successor to BioWare. They make the same type of games (though more modern or mature) and they do it in the right way. For Bioware the only hope is to happen some Black Isle/Obsidian scenario, but with docs gone from gaming, I think that chances are low for it to happen.
Imagine if Bioware became an Obsidian-type developer & started releasing text-heavy CRPGs again :drool: Baldur's Gate spiritual successor :drool: (Although I guess that's pretty much DA:O in tactical mode).

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Much like what MS did to Rare really. It's braindead, but that's just the way it goes.
But EA should've learned their lesson many times over by now. I don't know why it'd be in their best interests to intentionally sabotage the likes of Bioware over many years, so I'd have to believe it's little more than frightening incompetence that leads to this happening again and again to formerly top-tier development studios.