g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Anthony Elanga | Forest watch

Gordon Godot

Antony is better than Elanga.
On what basis? As there is absolutely no data to back that up. Did you watch the NF vs Newcastle match? More assists and goal threat in one game than Antony has shown all season. And we paid £80m for Antony vs a youth player on our books

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
On what basis? As there is absolutely no data to back that up. Did you watch the NF vs Newcastle match? More assists and goal threat in one game than Antony has shown all season. And we paid £80m for Antony vs a youth player on our books
Chris Wood isn’t good enough for Newcastle either.

Some times when dropping down the leagues, players who aren’t good enough for a big team look better in a system designed for them. Shawcross was a Stoke legend. Perreira is an integral part of Fulham. Elanga will do well at Forest. They’re not good enough for our squad.
And I like Elanga and think this move is good for him.

Ludens the Red

Chris Wood isn’t good enough for Newcastle either.

Some times when dropping down the leagues, players who aren’t good enough for a big team look better in a system designed for them. Shawcross was a Stoke legend. Perreira is an integral part of Fulham. Elanga will do well at Forest. They’re not good enough for our squad.
And I like Elanga and think this move is good for him.
Antony of last season was better than Elanga of last season at United. However current Antony is not better than any version of Elanga, anywhere any club. In a World where Antony to United doesn’t happen and we stick with Elanga. There’d have been very little difference to our fortunes.

DownRiver

Why is he celebrating and pointing to his badge when he was leaving? Have some shame. You are not that good.

Blood Mage

Ah the old kneejerk 'we should have never sold him!' bollocks. He was fecking shite for us and is shite most times I've seen him for Forest.

sepulturite

Ah the old kneejerk 'we should have never sold him!' bollocks. He was fecking shite for us and is shite most times I've seen him for Forest.
Yeh exactly, and we're playing shit at the moment which means he'd definitely be even shittier for us now if he was playing.

Rockets Redglare

I mean he’s crap isn’t he? He runs and puts effort in but that’s all.
Just because United are shite it doesn’t mean he’s a good player, it’s like McTominay for Scotland all over again.

L1nk

Just because United are shite it doesn’t mean he’s a good player, it’s like McTominay for Scotland all over again.
He is, he isn't good and Forest is his level, but the reality is it's hard for people to grasp this when, as bad as he is, he may do a better job for us than Antony does on the right, who offers absolutely nothing.

Pronewbie

Peep
Glad I'm not seeing much revisionism here. Elanga was shite for us and we were pretty much in unison that he should go. I'm glad he's thriving at Forest. The problem isn't his sale but the starters that have gone AWOL (Rashford, Sancho and Martial), and the underwhelming replacements that should be levels above him.

mu4c_20le

Ah so because a young player was shite for us, he'll never improve. We have so many elite coaches here on the caf.

tomaldinho1

Pleased to see him doing well. Doesn’t mean he is suddenly good enough for where we hope to be but was a hard worker and good egg, hope he continues to do well there.

Nickelodeon

He wasn’t good enough for us. But seeing the likes of Antony start for us would make any of Elanga or Sancho believe that they’re unfairly treated. It’s the clubs standards which are in the gutter.

Adamsk7

Yeah agree. He’s not good enough for Manchester United however right now he is much better than what we have. It’s a reflection on our standards and our recruitment rather than Elanga’a talent.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The argument here seems to be that he's better than Antony and we should have saved ourselves 80m and invested it where it was really needed. That's an argument I agree with. Elanga is young and still developing - I'd rather have given him a couple of years and signed an 80m DM or CB for example.

TheReligion

Abusive
Nice to see Elanga doing well. The deal suited all parties and he’s another shining example of the academy.

Garner, Elanga and Mengi all proving to be capable premier league players. Not everyone can always stay at the club and the door is open for a return in the future if they continue to rise.

Meanwhile the academy will continue to produce talents and give as many a path to the first team as possible (a la Garnacho, Mainoo)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Elanga > Antony

Really that simple, although it doesn't mean he is at the level where we should be looking at.

DavelinaJolie

He's playing well, credit to him he's making the most of the opportunity he has at Forest to be the main man on a smaller team but I still don't think he'd be of the level we actually require. My only annoyance is we didn't get more than £15m for him.

slored1

Always liked him. Shame he didn't work out well here but deserves all the best.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
No I don't think he is. He's going to have a good career in the PL.

Just because he wasn't good enough for us doesn't mean he's a shite player. He's only 21 too.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Forest is his level really.
Doubt it, from our academy it's clear that he's way more than just pace. Starting to see it in games now as well, he's winning 50-50's all the time, he's showing his technique much more and his decision making.

He's going to be a top player for Sweden and he'll push his way to a Top 6 side like West Ham.

RonaldoVII

Doubt it, from our academy it's clear that he's way more than just pace. Starting to see it in games now as well, he's winning 50-50's all the time, he's showing his technique much more and his decision making.

He's going to be a top player for Sweden and he'll push his way to a Top 6 side like West Ham.
I think he's a midtable premier league player at best. That isn't a bad level given the bigger spending 7 clubs and then there's teams like Villa this season pushing those too.

tomaldinho1

I think he's a midtable premier league player at best. That isn't a bad level given the bigger spending 7 clubs and then there's teams like Villa this season pushing those too.
Just what we need. £70m bid coming.

Rex Banner

Always thought people were far too harsh on him, the lad is only 21. Not every player is a world beater at that age. I'd have him over Antony any day of the week

Also, saying he's found his level is so reductive. Forest are a PL team just like we are.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Elanga was decent enough when he first broke into the team under Rangnick. At that point he showed enough to think that he'd end up as a better, stronger and more skilled version of Dan James (although not quite as fast).

However he struggled badly last season and the pressure seemed to get to him, and considering how things have gone this season there's no reason to think he would have done any better. He needed to get out and build himself back up, which he seems to be doing. Good luck to him.

tomaldinho1

Always thought people were far too harsh on him, the lad is only 21. Not every player is a world beater at that age. I'd have him over Antony any day of the week

Also, saying he's found his level is so reductive. Forest are a PL team just like we are.
One of the few players Ragnick thought might have the attitude to make it, alas