Anthony Elanga | Forest watch

Lee565

It's funny that ragnick was pretty high on elanga, maybe he could see the potential in him, I always thought he may have not been the best manager but he probably would have built us our best post fergie suited for the premier league.

Hester_manc

Goal contributions this season in the PL:

Elanga: 10
Rashford: 6
Garnacho: 5
Martial: 2
Højlund: 1
Antony: 0

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The problem is that the current board is trying to achieve success just by splashing money on the transfer market rather than long term planning. It's obvious that 99.99% of raw youth talents won't start playing like pros overnight, they need to earn gametime experience. The rest of 0.01% that starts immediatly doing amazing stuff on a regular basis at a very young age are usually extremely talented generational talents like Rooney, Quaresma (even though he didn't achieved his full potencial), Ronaldo, Beckham, Romário, Zlatan, etc, etc. But those are the exception rather than the norm.

The norm is you usually need to mature your talent: two great examples from Portugal: Ricardo Carvalho was loaned out to really crap teams, same goes to Rui Costa who spent loan spells in anonymous clubs like Fafe and etc. Even Harry Kane had to mature to become the amazing striker he is showing us since a few seasons ago, if we rewind a few seasons back a lot of people would not consider him the amazing striker he has become.

FujiVice

What a dumb decision to let him go. Had a breakthrough season, then never got a chance and was sold. Twice the player of Antony.

SAFMUTD

What a dumb decision to let him go. Had a breakthrough season, then never got a chance and was sold. Twice the player of Antony.
He wasn't and still isn't good enough to play on a top team, the fact that Antony has been a terrible failure doesn't change that.

Mike Smalling

Even without taking transfer fee into account, we would have been better off with Elanga at right-wing than Antony. Then consider if we spent that Antony money on something else.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What are the conditions of those add-ons in his deal?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Watch Amad thread with other team, because someone keeps favoring Antony.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He wasn’t good enough. Signing a terrible winger doesn’t change that.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He wasn’t a bad player but wasn’t good enough for Manchester Utd or where we want to be. Good to see him doing well though and being productive but I think he regularly put out weaker displays than even Antony in a Utd shirt. The problem wasn’t getting rid, it was selling for such a low fee. City or chelsea would have got £30-£40 million.

SAFMUTD

Awful pass from the back from him and Guimaraes ends up scoring the 2-3 for Newcastle

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He was playing a lot more than he should under Ralf and that seems to still stick with people as he wasn’t ready then. Last season was his first proper season of first team football, so it’s no surprise he looks good now. Still, it was going to be tough for him to break through with us behind Rashford and Sancho on the same wing so selling him wasn’t a bad decision. We are notoriously poor at getting value for our players, so that’s going to sting.

Lost bear

Glad it’s working for him at Forest. Seems a great lad, but didn’t show much for us. Terrible price, though. Ineos are certainly right about the mess of our transfer business.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
15-20 was a fair price to me. Certainly at the 20m point. Do people expect 20m players to be completely useless or something?

arthurka

We are absolutely shambolic as a club. 85m for the Brazilian roundabout while shipping out a rapid young player for under 20m with PL experience.

Onerealunited

15-20 was a fair price to me. Certainly at the 20m point. Do people expect 20m players to be completely useless or something?
Very much agree with you. With the games he played for us 20m was a good price. Even today I believe it is a good price. I would be very happy if we can sell 2-3 youth players for that amount every year... 20m is really not a small amount guys.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
yes. united normally pay four times that for the same outcome.

mav_9me

He was never going to be good enough for us, we got decent money and he's found his level. I don't see what the fuss about.
I'm glad most people seem to be thinking along these lines.

In a Fergie United, he may have been a decent squad player but that's about it.

Also its one thing scoring goals on the counter for Forest, it's another having the ball and having to create every time.

redNATION

He was never going to be good enough for us, we got decent money and he's found his level. I don't see what the fuss about.
The fuss is we’ve spent 160m on Sancho and Antony who are also never going to be good enough for us. Antony will be a bench player and leave when his inflated contract runs out. Elanga by all accounts seems more effective than either with his pace coming off the bench, which is another damning indictment of how we’ve conducted transfers over the last few years.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We sold an absolute unit of an athlete capable of going toe to toe against the quickest players in PL who was 20 y.0 for 15m, replaced him with a spinny boy lacking pace for 85m and rubbed our hands in the dark saying "hehehe we got them this time".

Thank you John Martuogh.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The fuss is we’ve spent 160m on Sancho and Antony who are also never going to be good enough for us. Antony will be a bench player and leave when his inflated contract runs out. Elanga by all accounts seems more effective than either with his pace coming off the bench, which is another damning indictment of how we’ve conducted transfers over the last few years.
Agree with most of this

Bottmline:

1. We should have definitely sold Elanga, because he was not United level. Anybody arguing with this is just statistics sucker, who doesn't look or understand football BUT WE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN MORE MONEY FOR HIM!!!!

We will not be able to buy anybody for 15M, let alone somebody who can score goals in premier league, so how is it suddenly OK that we sell a "premier league proven" player for such peanuts amount? This is not just Elanga, it's everywhere: acceptable prices are magically 2-4 times different when we are buying vs when we are selling. That is bullshit

2. We Payed 2-3 times more for Antony than anybody would i.e. what he was worth. And we jacked up his salary 10x for no reason. Both of those were criminal decision.

Also Antony didn't work out. Now that does happen and anybody who thinks every transfer, esp from other leagues will work out, doesnt know what he or she is talking about. But him flopping would not stink if we had paid 35M for him and he was on 80 or 100K/week salary. That is the point

3. We overpaid to lesser extent for Sancho, because he was seriously hyped when we bought him, so nobody would have sold him to us for much less. But the crime there was - we should not have been desperate. We were the only ones buying into the hype. Nobody was killing themselves buying him. And we should have redflagged his disciplinary issues since they were known. Never buy players who bring bad behavior, even if they can play well, unless you can manage their behavior. We could not

Rojofiam

People saying he was never good enough or never was going to be good enough are wrong. He's good enough to play a part for a good team, and he's likely not the finished article at this point of his career either.

However, it wasn't a wrong decision to sell him. Neither would it have been a wrong decision to keep him. I feel like some people want to find problems everywhere, even when there aren't any.

The true issue was spending 80 million on an inferior player to replace him. Admittedly, few of us would've claimed that Elanga is the better player at that time.

Last edited:

Darkhorsez

People saying he was never good enough or never was going to be good enough are wrong. He's good enough to play a part for a good team, and he's likely not the finished article at this point of his career either.

However, it wasn't a wrong decision to sell him. Neither would it have been a wrong decision to keep him. I feel like some people want to find problems everywhere, even when there aren't any.

The true issue was spending 80 million on an inferior player to replace him. Admittedly, few of us would've claimed that Elanga is the better player at that time.
Just too sensible of a post. Hindsight

AndySmith1990

It was the correct decision to sell him, and no he's not suddenly good enough to play for a club wanting to win trophies. Just the usual (bitching/told you so) in hindsight routine going on here

Robbie Boy

Some of our fans genuinely still bring up Welbeck being sold. So, I expect this to rumble on for a decade or so. They can only count themselves lucky they don't support Chelsea with the sheer amount of good-to-great players that they've sold.

It's great to see Elanga doing well but, he looked pretty poor anytime he played for us.

KevinJoh

Elanga is good professional, and has working habits that will bring him to the top level, probably contract in the future with one of the top 8 teams where he will get playing time. He is not on that level yet, but this seasons proves he is already solid PL player at 21, so it is very hard to say now he will never be good enough for United level. Players develop at different time, especially if they are hard working.

Of course, paying Antony above the value has nothing to do with Elanga and it is completely on Ten Hag as terrible mistake. Nothing to do with Elanga. The only good thing for us is that him, Anders and Garner proved that our kids can play on PL level which will hopefully help us getting better money for academy graduates in the future.