Anthony Elanga | Forest watch

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Interestingly Rangnick put a lot of faith in him, then Ten Hag came in and seemingly didn't rate him. He definitely would not be doing worse than Antony for us...
If only Eth chose to work with RR, I'm certain we would have a much better squad if RR had a say in where the 400m went.

Gomes

Fair play to him, I thought he was absolutely terrible and Championship level at best - but he's proven to be a competent Premier League footballer.

He's also probably better then Antony - who I'm confident is actually Championship level.
Yeah, great idea. Double down with stupidity.

peridigm

If only Eth chose to work with RR, I'm certain we would have a much better squad if RR had a say in where the 400m went.
The question is, would ETH know what to do with a better squad?

prateik

The point is, he was underperforming for us.. as do most of our current players.
That should be the issue that is addressed first.. Just selling players and spending money we barely have on new ones clearly isnt working.

Mike Smalling

Good for Elanga. It's not the first time, and it won't be the last time, that a forward isn't good enough for United, but finds success in a smaller club, where there is typically more space to run into.

el3mel

He's still shite and ye are all getting giddy over a subpar player we were right to get rid of.
He wasn't good here but to see yet again another player immediately improving once he leaves Man United makes you if the toxic atmosphere at United is the reason for all these players failing.

At the moment won't surprise me if even Antony turns world beater once he leave us.

Ace of Spades

He was stagnating here, and needed game time to improve, which he would not have got here. Nothing wrong to go to some other club for that.

He is very young, and a player's development is difficult to predict.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's found his level, he will be a decent player for midtable/bottom half EPL teams. Same as Pereira at Fulham

Sparky Rhiwabon

He's average as feck. Our forward players are just worse despite them costing in excess of £200m.
For me, it’s not that, its more that - with FFP - we have sell smart as well as buy smart. £15m was a pittance for him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
15m will be a bargain for Forest. Our academy is actually quite good but the problem is that we are so bad in selling them that we don't really get anything in return

Red Star One

For me, it’s not that, its more that - with FFP - we have sell smart as well as buy smart. £15m was a pittance for him.
Yeah, this is the issue for me as well - even if we decided he’s not good enough and we don’t need him, which one can find questionable, there’s little doubt we are terrible at selling players. He was so young too! How on earth you only get 15m for him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So RR had the right idea with Elanga when he looked decent. And the only manager who could make Ronaldo v. II a decent striker.

And would probably fare better if Rashy didn't down tool that season also.

marktan

He's found his level, he will be a decent player for midtable/bottom half EPL teams. Same as Pereira at Fulham
Harsh on Perreira, he was a key player in their challenge for Europe last season. This season they're struggling from having no Mitrovic up top.

The biggest miss will probably be Garner - it's hard to be a good CM at his age and he's shown progression every year.

But it does go back to the central point - young players only really get better if they actually play. Selling young players for £15m isn't a bad idea but we really need to be inserting buyback clauses.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
The guy is 21 years old. I didn’t think he was amazing for us but I felt like he was held to senior player standards very early on. He’s the same age as Amad; younger than Pellistri. I didn’t get the pressure to sell him when we did. Could’ve been a loan or at least a buyback.

His body transformed over the summer and now he looks like a much more effective player. Forest got a good deal, I think.

flameinthesun

The guy is 21 years old. I didn’t think he was amazing for us but I felt like he was held to senior player standards very early on. He’s the same age as Amad; younger than Pellistri. I didn’t get the pressure to sell him when we did. Could’ve been a loan or at least a buyback.

His body transformed over the summer and now he looks like a much more effective player. Forest got a good deal, I think.
I still think technically he's just not a top 4/6 player. Would definitely have done a job for us this season just as a decent alternative to Antony/Pellistri however we got decent money for him. Happy he's doing well though.

The_Midfielder

I still think technically he's just not a top 4/6 player. Would definitely have done a job for us this season just as a decent alternative to Antony/Pellistri however we got decent money for him. Happy he's doing well though.
Better than Antony :)

flameinthesun

Better than Antony :)
I'm not 100% sure about that! but I can't really make a great argument that you're not right. Last season I thought Antony did okay, he seemed to be the only winger who could keep the ball and get us up the pitch. Chipped in with a few assists and goals so I thought he'd pack on a bit of muscle and step up but he's regressed. Elanga got some games last season and did okay as well but always felt he was a bit limited. His speed gave him a bit of an x factor but that was it. Tbh neither for me are good enough for a top team.

Oscar Bonavena

He's doing very well for Forest but I still don't think he's "United quality" (whatever that means these days).

I'm glad if his goals and assists are causing embarrassment to Eth and our misfiring forward players, but I doubt it.

JustinC00

More G/A this season than Antony has for us since he joined. People that say "not United quality" is just laughable. Antony isn't either but ETH had us plunk 95m on him while Elanga was an academy product that cost us nothing. Another ETH nepotism BLUNDER

ti vu

15m will be a bargain for Forest. Our academy is actually quite good but the problem is that we are so bad in selling them that we don't really get anything in return
Because our transfer policy was shite. I meant if we want a good fee for Elanga, we would have sold him after 21-22 when he had plenty of game time under RR. Instead, we had ETH reduced his gametime back to the level of a youth having debut season at senior level.

Nobody would have paid more than 15 million after last season. But yes, Elanga could have gone for more if there is shrewd transfer policy. But it's a pipe dream. Could've completely devalue him even more if we've kept him this season to drive a tough bargain. ETH doesn't like Elanga for some reason. No game time in a team playing poorly wouldn't help the value.

Gordon Godot

Because our transfer policy was shite. I meant if we want a good fee for Elanga, we would have sold him after 21-22 when he had plenty of game time under RR. Instead, we had ETH reduced his gametime back to the level of a youth having debut season at senior level.

Nobody would have paid more than 15 million after last season. But yes, Elanga could have gone for more if there is shrewd transfer policy. But it's a pipe dream. Could've completely devalue him even more if we've kept him this season to drive a tough bargain.
I would argue we shouldnt have sold him. He's clearly a solid Premiership player and far more of a threat at this level than Antony. So we ETH sold Elanga in order to spend £80m on Antony and huge wages. Elanga's second assist vs Newcastle today was a better assist than Antony has delivered for us. Elanga has more goals and assists than any of our forwards. Why sell him unless we have excellent upgrades? Just like LVG sold the likes of Michael Keene and Evans. And then we spend fortunes on Blind, Lindelof, Varanne and Maguire. We would be no worse with those two as our starting CBs.

ti vu

I would argue we shouldnt have sold him. He's clearly a solid Premiership player and far more of a threat at this level than Antony. So we ETH sold Elanga in order to spend £80m on Antony and huge wages. Elanga's second assist vs Newcastle today was a better assist than Antony has delivered for us. Elanga has more goals and assists than any of our forwards. Why sell him unless we have excellent upgrades? Just like LVG sold the likes of Michael Keene and Evans. And then we spend fortunes on Blind, Lindelof, Varanne and Maguire. We would be no worse with those two as our starting CBs.
But ETH clearly didn't rate him. He could have used Elanga last season fter the first two games in place of Sancho and not pushed for Antony. Nobody could have predicted ETH nosedived like this in his second season.

Anyways, the point is about having competent football people above ETH. Even if the manager doesn't want certain players, we could have gotten more from our sale.

Sea-Cow

He wasn't good here but to see yet again another player immediately improving once he leaves Man United makes you if the toxic atmosphere at United is the reason for all these players failing.

At the moment won't surprise me if even Antony turns world beater once he leave us.
I'd be willing to take that bet.

Sea-Cow

I get the frustration with the squad, but mate.... Lets be serious please. This is an internet forum, after all.

fallengt

He was shit for us.
I bet Pellistri would do well at smaller club as well but does anyone here think he should be starter at United?

Patchbeard

He was shit for us.
I bet Pellistri would do well at smaller club as well but does anyone here think he should be starter at United?
He wasn't all shit. He had a really promising start, then had a pretty poor 2nd season, but the evidence of his youth performances and gola threat for us and Sweden U21 (7 goals in 8 games) suggests that a loan or sale with buyback clause would've been sensible. Whereas Pellistri hasn't shown any consistent signs of any sort of end product at any level. I'd wager Elanga will end his career with 10x the goals/assists Pellistri does. I'm not saying Elanga would've been good enough for us, but he is undoubtedly good enough for the Premier League and Sweden internationally, whilst I genuinely think Pellistri is like a Dan James clone, with somehow even less end product!

Gordon Godot

He was shit for us.
Pathetic post. He's a young player, they are inconsistent. He did more in one match yesterday than Antony, an £80m player, has contributed all season. Let that sink in. We bin these players and waste money on expensive flops. He may not have been a long term answer but a great squad player while we rebuild and spend money better. His second assist vs Newcastle was a gem. ETH binned him in favour of Weghorst (who had 1 assist in 17 league games for us), another player who Elanga delivered more assists in a single match yesterday. ETH not the first United manager to sell decent prospects in order to waste 100s of millions on players who are no better and often worse.

Gordon Godot

Stats for Elanga vs Antony and Weghorst. Thought a comparison would be interesting:
* Elanga, 19 PL games this season with 4 goals and 5 assists, for a really struggling team
* Antony: 39 PL matches, 4 goals and 2 assists, for a top PL team. This season its 0 and 0 from 19 games
Weghorst: 0 goals and 1 assist in 17 PL matches

Lets reflect on that. ETH played Weghorst ahead of Elanga, then spent £80m on Antony and sold Elanga.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Stats for Elanga vs Antony and Weghorst. Thought a comparison would be interesting:
* Elanga, 19 PL games this season with 4 goals and 5 assists, for a really struggling team
* Antony: 39 PL matches, 4 goals and 2 assists, for a top PL team. This season its 0 and 0 from 19 games
Weghorst: 0 goals and 1 assist in 17 PL matches

Lets reflect on that. ETH played Weghorst ahead of Elanga, then spent £80m on Antony and sold Elanga.
Antony is better than Elanga.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
More G/A this season than Antony has for us since he joined. People that say "not United quality" is just laughable. Antony isn't either but ETH had us plunk 95m on him while Elanga was an academy product that cost us nothing. Another ETH nepotism BLUNDER
Oi!